Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mikey-San posted:

AirPort Extreme Base Stations are not officially supported Time Machine devices.

But they work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

carry on then posted:

I'd do that if I had access to my Windows 7 CD, but I don't. What I do have is my XP CD and some downtime, so I was hoping to get half the install process done now and just have to do part 2 once I got the right disc.
How's your connection, and do you have a burner? MS has Windows 7 images available online, or the various online storefronts do (they sell the product keys but the images are public).

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
I'm picking up a Macbook Pro later today and have a question about migration assistant. I'm wondering if it gives the option to just transfer certain files (iphoto library, itunes library, keychain) without doing a full transfer? I've got loads of old plugins and PPC bits and bobs that I don't want to be put onto my new laptop.

Is it better to do the transfer manually?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FiftyFour posted:

I'm picking up a Macbook Pro later today and have a question about migration assistant. I'm wondering if it gives the option to just transfer certain files (iphoto library, itunes library, keychain) without doing a full transfer? I've got loads of old plugins and PPC bits and bobs that I don't want to be put onto my new laptop.

Is it better to do the transfer manually?

Migration assistant has two modes: Full migration and selective migration. The selective mode takes the key files (music, photos, etc) and dumps them on the desktop.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I feel dumb asking this. How does one view their photo stream on their Mac? I took some pictures on my iPhone, and the Photos app lists many of them as being on my Photo Stream, but I have no idea how I would look at them or use them on my Mac.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
iPhoto and Aperture can view the Photo Stream.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

chimz posted:

Does it actually support backups? I don't think it does officially.

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

Edit: a Genius friend is saying it does. Hm.
It doesn't support it officially, but it should work just fine.

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot

Sigma posted:

Migration assistant has two modes: Full migration and selective migration. The selective mode takes the key files (music, photos, etc) and dumps them on the desktop.

Brilliant, thanks.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Well, a while ago I posted about constant Pinwheels. I believe I've narrowed it down to the replacement HDD I put in a while back. I have a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640GB drive which from the numerous reports on several other forums and groups has major issues with Macbook Pro's. Even disabling the Apple SMS, as the WD drive itself has a shock monitor, doesn't fix the issue.

I can only assume Apple slipped in a firmware update or that Lion only made the issue more apparent. Hardware issue? Software issue? I'm lost at this point.

There are a ton of quick fixes but none seem to address the issue completely :(
I guess I'm in the market for a new HDD unless I want my laptop to beach ball every 2 minutes for no good reason under practically zero load.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

carry on then posted:

Bootcamp question: I have a slipstreamed XP SP2 disc that I want to install in boot camp (I'll then upgrade it to Windows 7.) The bootcamp wizard won't recognize the disc as a Windows disc and refuses to go through with the installer. My question is, would it be sufficient to partition my hard disk manually and then boot to the CD? Does the bootcamp wizard do anything else?

Yeah you can do this and it works fine pretty much. I used the older OSX disc to install the drivers/bootcamp in XP once it booted up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You were right, it worked. Thanks guys.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Can you guys recommend me some software to convert PDF -> ePub formats? I've googled, and what I find seems rather shady.

Thanks!

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
For bootcamp, what edition of Windows do you recommend installing on a early 2011 MBP, XP, Vista or Windows 7? Just looking to play a few games, nothing really new or really demanding of your computer specs (Diablo 2 and crap like that).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why use anything but 7?

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
I have two Boot Camp questions myself. I thought I remembered being able to install Catalyst drivers straight off AMD's site, but my 2011 iMac with the 6970M is stuck at 11.1. When I try to install anything else, it pretends like there is nothing connected. Battlefield 3 yells at me every time I launch it that 11.7 is required. Am I missing something?

Second, has anybody who has played BF3 figured out a way to use a lower resolution than 2560x1440 and force it to upscale? I'm bad at game stuff.

Edit: I've tried both the full Mobility download and the 1MB version that is supposed to detect the card automatically. Adding it through the device manager gives me a warning that a compatible driver wasn't found.

Edit 2: Alright, I found some drivers that will install. Nevermind I guess.

Cmdr Will Riker fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 26, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There is this god awful function on Photoshop Cs4 that makes it so having both fingers on my track pad tilts the the document on accident all of the time. How can I turn this off? Like, a little compass pops up tilts the page and its crooked when I let go. Can't even figure out how to re-center it.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Cold Sprunk posted:

For bootcamp, what edition of Windows do you recommend installing on a early 2011 MBP, XP, Vista or Windows 7? Just looking to play a few games, nothing really new or really demanding of your computer specs (Diablo 2 and crap like that).

The Bootcamp drivers that come with 2011 MBPs don't support anything but Windows 7, so that's the way you should go.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Okay, what the hell... On MacOS 10.7.2, my MacBook Pro has FileVault enabled. I just happened to reboot, and instead of the single-user I normally have listed on startup, suddenly I have a "Guest User" account also listed on the startup screen.

Confused, I logged in as myself and opened System Preferences and checked the user account settings. Sure enough, the guest account is disabled. I also can't enable it because it says guest accounts can't be enabled when FileVault is on.

So I rebooted and selected the "Guest User" account. It pops up a notification that says that it'll boot into a special "Safari-Only" user which can only be used to connect to a network and browse the web.

Not knowing what the gently caress, I did a little digging... So a while back I made this post talking about Find My Mac on a laptop/desktop. It seems that this little Guest User account I've discovered is a bit of a trojan horse, in that it gets around the very limitation I was talking about in that post - it will allow whoever stole your laptop to boot the system just enough for it to locate itself and phone home. Go figure.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Accipiter posted:

Not knowing what the gently caress, I did a little digging... So a while back I made this post talking about Find My Mac on a laptop/desktop. It seems that this little Guest User account I've discovered is a bit of a trojan horse, in that it gets around the very limitation I was talking about in that post - it will allow whoever stole your laptop to boot the system just enough for it to locate itself and phone home. Go figure.

I replied to your post and mentioned this.

I wish you read my posts, Accipiter :(

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

rckstar79 posted:

I replied to your post and mentioned this.

I wish you read my posts, Accipiter :(

I did read your post. As I just mentioned, you can't create a limited guest account with FileVault enabled.

The alleged "Guest Account" that shows up on the login screen isn't actually a "Guest Account", but some kind of bastardized Safari-Only account.

I wish you read my posts, rckstar79. :v:

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Accipiter posted:

Aw, touché. I know I had that Guest account enabled, but I wasn't sure how it happened.

Oh well. Let's be friends :hfive:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Dummy question:

I've got a shitload of photos I need to offload from my laptop (Mac) to my home computer (PC). The PC's got a 1tb USB backup drive attached to it, so...why not? Well, you probably guessed (correctly) that it didn't work. I could see the backup drive on my mac, could copy files from it, but I couldn't write to it.

What's the difference between this drive and any thumb drive I use between my computers? Or the difference between this drive and my phone, whose memory card I can easily access between a Mac and PC, too?

Edit: Back to my original problem: is there an easy way to move around 100gb of photos from a Mac to a PC?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it just me or are OS X media players using open source decoder libraries less optimized than windows builds using the same libraries? Or are the decoders just as efficient but something else is causing the disparity?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

jackpot posted:

I've got a shitload of photos I need to offload from my laptop (Mac) to my home computer (PC). The PC's got a 1tb USB backup drive attached to it, so...why not? Well, you probably guessed (correctly) that it didn't work. I could see the backup drive on my mac, could copy files from it, but I couldn't write to it.

What's the difference between this drive and any thumb drive I use between my computers? Or the difference between this drive and my phone, whose memory card I can easily access between a Mac and PC, too?

Edit: Back to my original problem: is there an easy way to move around 100gb of photos from a Mac to a PC?

Your hard disk is probably NTFS, which OS X cannot write to out of the box.
Your thumb drive is probably FAT32.

I would suggest reformatting the hard disk to exFAT.
Alternately, if you cannot bear to reformat that disk then try the free trial of Tuxera NTFS which is a third party NTFS driver for OS X.

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009

Cyne posted:

The Bootcamp drivers that come with 2011 MBPs don't support anything but Windows 7, so that's the way you should go.

Okay thanks. Does it matter if its the 32 or 64 bit version?

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011
Random question. Say my friend has Mac OS X Lion and set up iCloud on his machine. Would I be able to log in with my AppleID on his computer and set up iCloud with my AppleID so I can get a @me.com email address?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Dance The Mutation posted:

Random question. Say my friend has Mac OS X Lion and set up iCloud on his machine. Would I be able to log in with my AppleID on his computer and set up iCloud with my AppleID so I can get a @me.com email address?

Can you just do it on icloud.com?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
If you open a brand-new finder window, it defaults to "All My Files". This is the opposite of useful.

Is there some way I can change it to default to ~, or to some other folder of my choosing?

EDIT: Finder -> Preferences. Didn't even realize Finder had its own Preferences interface. Looked for a Pref pane, but not a menu. :downs:

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011

SimpleCoax posted:

Can you just do it on icloud.com?

No because I haven't made my AppleID an iCloud account yet. To do that, I need to set it up via iOS 5 or Lion. I don't want to gently caress up someone else's iCloud though to do this.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it just me or are OS X media players using open source decoder libraries less optimized than windows builds using the same libraries? Or are the decoders just as efficient but something else is causing the disparity?
Wild guess would have to do with hardware video acceleration, like it's pretty mature on Windows and I think more exposed to developers, while in OS X it hasn't been around as long which is probably the big thing, since it doesn't seem like a whole lot use what's available. I've heard VLC does, and I think the media center type of apps (Plex, XBMC, etc), but stuff like the various MPlayer variants don't seem to.

~Coxy posted:

Your hard disk is probably NTFS, which OS X cannot write to out of the box.
Your thumb drive is probably FAT32.

I would suggest reformatting the hard disk to exFAT.
Alternately, if you cannot bear to reformat that disk then try the free trial of Tuxera NTFS which is a third party NTFS driver for OS X.
Another one is if you happen to have a Windows virtual machine, you can mount the drive within there where it would then have Windows' write support.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Accipiter posted:

I did read your post. As I just mentioned, you can't create a limited guest account with FileVault enabled.

The alleged "Guest Account" that shows up on the login screen isn't actually a "Guest Account", but some kind of bastardized Safari-Only account.

If anyone wants to turn said feature off:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Anyone have any words of wisdom about using VMWare Fusion?

My wife wants to use it so she can do some of her dissertation work that requires Windows programs without rebooting all the time to get to bootcmap

I don't think it's any software that's crazy resource intensive

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Cold Sprunk posted:

Okay thanks. Does it matter if its the 32 or 64 bit version?

Nope, but if you have a 64-bit copy you may as well go with it since, well, there's not really any reason not to these days.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Do I have to have Lion installed to enable Photo Stream on iPhoto? I'm still on Snow Leopard, as some of my software won't run in Lion.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

bassguitarhero posted:

Do I have to have Lion installed to enable Photo Stream on iPhoto? I'm still on Snow Leopard, as some of my software won't run in Lion.

Yeah, 10.7.2 has iCloud support built in. There's been some things going around about another possible point release for Snow Leopard to enable iCloud functionality for people who don't have / can't get Lion but nothing is for sure.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Levitate posted:

My wife wants to use it so she can do some of her dissertation work that requires Windows programs without rebooting all the time to get to bootcmap

I've been using it a long time. No special tricks I can think of. The HD can be a bitch to resize later (it's possible though), so try to pick an HD size that's appropriate right off the bat. The other settings like RAM can be tweaked if you need to.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Levitate posted:

It works great if you have enough RAM for Windows and OS X to share. Buy more RAM if you can, it makes your life a lot easier.

You can also use VMware to boot your Boot Camp partition while you're running on Mac, so you have the option to do either with the same Windows install.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Not to mention RAM is mostly cheap and easy to install, so that really helps VM performance.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also you could get Sun VirtualBox instead of VMWare, it's a lot cheaper (free!) and it does a lot of what VMWare does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009

Cyne posted:

Nope, but if you have a 64-bit copy you may as well go with it since, well, there's not really any reason not to these days.

Thanks for your, and other members, advice. Grabbed the 64bit version, installed it, and it working very nicely on my MacBook Pro.