Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
FFS. I've always enjoyed the fact these threads never had an OP of "goon recommended" lists because all lists to do with metal (including the one being made) are always composed of absolute poo poo. You are never, ever in a million years going to be able to make people even agree on what "entry-level" metal is.

Some of you appear to think that it should be things people "might like when new to the genre" - why should you introduce someone via a band you will later tell them are actually crap? The lists are laughable at best.

Nobody should be making anything unless they actually know something about the genres, and their history. Which rules out any cretin that thinks, for example, Norway is the epicentre of black metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Gr31lly posted:

FFS. I've always enjoyed the fact these threads never had an OP of "goon recommended" lists because all lists to do with metal (including the one being made) are always composed of absolute poo poo. You are never, ever in a million years going to be able to make people even agree on what "entry-level" metal is.

Some of you appear to think that it should be things people "might like when new to the genre" - why should you introduce someone via a band you will later tell them are actually crap? The lists are laughable at best.

Nobody should be making anything unless they actually know something about the genres, and their history. Which rules out any cretin that thinks, for example, Norway is the epicentre of black metal.

nerve posted:

People gettin' mad about music opinions owns

I see what you mean, this really does own.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I'm not mad, I just think it's a complete waste of time. I forgot having a dissenting opinion on an internet "discussion" board now means you're mad these days though!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Finlands Sexiest posted:

Lulu is pretty horrible. Metallica's next collaboration seems interesting though.

Holy gently caress this is just perfect. The funny thing is it's not a million miles away from what Lulu actually sounds like at all.

Has anyone here listened to the entire album all the way through yet? I got 2 songs in and had to give up.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I think you should have a Classic/NWOBHM Metal section in that list. Throw all the NWOBHM bands and Sabbath into that and you have a complete coverage, unless you're just recommending the more extreme varieties.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Gr31lly posted:

It is especially useless when trying to provide "labels" to specific bands, particularly those that we know have contributed very much in terms of musical influence to their respective sub-genres as a whole.

Maybe it's just me, but I have found it is so much better to discover and correctly label bands on your own, that way you do not already have some idiotic pre-conceived notion of an album being something that it absolutely isn't. Sure, maybe give a couple very general bands to start off with, but nothing more than that, otherwise we begin to attach our own dumb subjective thoughts to anything we recommend.

Really, the world of heavy metal is so loving large that it feels like an absolute waste being told what you should like. Go explore on your own, it is ridiculously fun.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
If anything these recommendations should at least help out those who come in asking "hey I heard Godsmack and Slipknot on the radio and want to hear some more heavy stuff like that", which has happened a few times in these metal threads.

Turk February posted:

Go explore on your own, it is ridiculously fun.

https://www.mapofmetal.com

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Finlands Sexiest posted:

Lulu is pretty horrible. Metallica's next collaboration seems interesting though.

Holy poo poo, this is amazing.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
New Megadeth leaked. It's Megadeth, you can pretty much know what to expect after 13 albums. At first listen, it's still got the shred that Endgame did and a little of the old-school harmonies like on Rust. Dave's voice is surprisingly ok.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
New Oranssi Pazuzu leaked. Listening now, hope it owns as much as their first record (it will).

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Turk February posted:

It is especially useless when trying to provide "labels" to specific bands, particularly those that we know have contributed very much in terms of musical influence to their respective sub-genres as a whole.

Maybe it's just me, but I have found it is so much better to discover and correctly label bands on your own, that way you do not already have some idiotic pre-conceived notion of an album being something that it absolutely isn't. Sure, maybe give a couple very general bands to start off with, but nothing more than that, otherwise we begin to attach our own dumb subjective thoughts to anything we recommend.

Really, the world of heavy metal is so loving large that it feels like an absolute waste being told what you should like. Go explore on your own, it is ridiculously fun.

It's useful to have a generalized guide to help out with some of the bigger names in each style and give a broader idea, since it's a lot more convenient than individually answering posts about "what's this?" and "where do I start?" - if you're familiar with the content of the OP in general it should be easy to dive right in and talk more about specifics. I think it's also a lot better than looking to Wikipedia to get an idea of genres. I often find myself repeating things I have already said when asked about more general topics.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Its also useful to remember that while the people in this thread tend to have wide ranging metal taste a lot of people don't.

I have a friend who really likes bands like Dream Evil, Freedom Call and Weird Slough Feg, but who cant stand any of the more "extreme" genres of metal to the point that he doesn't even really like Black era Metallica or Soundtrack to Your Escape era In Flames (which is the kind of stuff I used to like when I was super into cheesy power metal). He's the kind of guy who I cant just drag to a random metal show on a weekend like a lot of my metal loving pals.

Genre distinctions are very important to these kind of people, who don't have crossover taste.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Finlands Sexiest posted:

That is fantastic.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So I got into Dissection last week and I've been addicted ever since. Where do I go from here?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Page 18?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

QPZIL posted:

So I got into Dissection last week and I've been addicted ever since. Where do I go from here?

Unanimated's "Ancient God of Evil", Thulcandra's "Under A Frozen Sun", then check out the other releases from those bands. I hear Watain recommended for fans of Dissection, but I never got into them.

To go a bit off target, check out Eucharist and Sacrilege, both Gothenburg bands that put out some solid melodic death metal with darker touches. Eucharist's demo (downloadable from their website) is worth checking out in additon to the full lengths. "A Velvet Creation" is darker, "Mirrorworlds" is smoothed out and refined more.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 24, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gr31lly posted:

Page 18?

Whoops, remembered the Dissection discussion, forgot about the recommendations beforehand.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

Whoops, remembered the Dissection discussion, forgot about the recommendations beforehand.

Check out Dawn. I guess they're similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaac3Pm3XVM

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

fatherdog posted:

Also, there are not enough Manowar videos.

There will never be enough manowar videos.

Im wondering if there's a "6 steps of manowar" ranging from "Worship at the altar of Trve metal" through "man, i can believe i used to like this" to "Yeah, i cant take them seriously but when they try, its actually fun"

also, no power metal section can be complete without the most amazing power metal song of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeiX6bf2OPI

gently caress me, 1995-early 2000's Gamma Ray was so good, its ridiculous.

On the subject of manowar, behold the heir apparent to the throne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7TjI7pJ2Zg

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Oh poo poo the new Ghoul album has leaked but I'm stuck at school.

This and the (hopefully) upcoming Pig Destroyer are my most anticipated albums of the year.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I'm going to quote my own dissection recommendations post from page 18 since it seems nobody read it after it got lamped at the bottom and then followed by 2 pages of crying over metallica's latest turd.

Gr31lly posted:

As much as I like Unanimated, both Sacramentum and Vinterland sound much more like Dissection. I actually happen to prefer both to Dissection. Astriaal's debut was Dissection on speed. Lord Belial and Necromicon are worth a shout. Setherial's Nord album is mindblowingly good but the rest of their discography is pretty redundant.

Oh and yeah, Dawn.

Other stuff that isn't so close but people will probably like includes Swordmaster,Sorhin, Kvist, Hirilorn, Sad Legend, Sentenced, Vargavinter, Algaion.

Forgot to mention Decameron.

Unanimated's first album is actually probably better than their second, but is a far less streamlined sound, their newest album (post-reformation) is pretty much what Necrophobic should be releasing these days.

I wouldn't call Eucharist Gothenburg at all either. They aren't from the region and their music while approaching it, never really becomes it. Much like A Mind Confused, Excretion, Excrement, Ceremonial Oath,Desultory, Cenotaph and even The Chasm and Infinitum Obscure.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Gr31lly posted:

I wouldn't call Eucharist Gothenburg at all either. They aren't from the region and their music while approaching it, never really becomes it.

While being from a different municipality/state, they were really close to Gothenburg and were strongly associated with the scene there. The sound is a bit different than the other bands as their first came out around when ATG put out "With Fear" and before IF and DT put out albums, then their second one came after Whoracle and TMI so the biggest bands had each put out three albums and they still had a lot of the older sound. Gothenburg MDM is the best generalization I can use to describe them so I'd still use that.

Going through your recommendations that I haven't heard, will report back.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Zodijackylite posted:

While being from a different municipality/state, they were really close to Gothenburg and were strongly associated with the scene there. The sound is a bit different than the other bands as their first came out around when ATG put out "With Fear" and before IF and DT put out albums, then their second one came after Whoracle and TMI so the biggest bands had each put out three albums and they still had a lot of the older sound. Gothenburg MDM is the best generalization I can use to describe them so I'd still use that.

Going through your recommendations that I haven't heard, will report back.

They're just melodic death metal. It was actually a term used quite frequently before Gothenburg, and there's, for example, no way on earth you can tell me At The Gates' Red in the Sky is Ours and With Fear are what is now termed Gothenburg (although later albums define it), but they are definitely a form of melodic death metal. Similarly, Carcass' Heartwork, while definitely a massive influence on Gothenburg (and later metalcore), is not referred to anything other than melodic death metal.

Gothenburg itself as a term has evolved to mean much more than just "melodic death metal from the gothenburg scene", and the connotations that term carries with it apply to Eucharist about as soundly as they do to Arghoslent. That is to say, not very well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Gr31lly where do you find these bands, how do you do it

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Gr31lly posted:

They're just melodic death metal. It was actually a term used quite frequently before Gothenburg, and there's, for example, no way on earth you can tell me At The Gates' Red in the Sky is Ours and With Fear are what is now termed Gothenburg (although later albums define it), but they are definitely a form of melodic death metal. Similarly, Carcass' Heartwork, while definitely a massive influence on Gothenburg (and later metalcore), is not referred to anything other than melodic death metal.

Gothenburg itself as a term has evolved to mean much more than just "melodic death metal from the gothenburg scene", and the connotations that term carries with it apply to Eucharist about as soundly as they do to Arghoslent. That is to say, not very well.

Eucharist hardly sound like Carcass or Arghoslent though, A Velvet Creation has a similar sound to earlier ATG with much more streamlined songwriring, while Mirrorworlds sounds closest to Terminal Spirit Disease. I suppose Gothenburg (GBG) is mostly associated with later IF/DT, but I mentally associate the GBG scene with the bands that differentiated their sound from the Stockholm sound and other death metal sounds. After 1997 or so, the prominent GBG bands began to reinvent themselves and evolve into the Swedish/Northern European sound that became commercially successful - the sound shaped by Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, and later IF/DT is sometimes referred to as a Gothenburg sound, but the sound wasn't as regionally centralized and late 90s/early-mid 00s melodic death metal included Finns, Swedes, and I think some Danes and Germans too.

It's kind of a pointless argument since the labels are arbitrary, but that's how I organize the sounds in my mind, with early ATG and Eucharist not having completely differentiated their style yet, but showing signs of it.

The melodic blackish death metal bands like Dissection and Unanimated are great though, thanks for recommending them and the other bands you threw in there. I remember several of them from the "Death Is Just The Beginning" compilations but I haven't listened to many of them in years. It's a shame those compilations came in digipacks that got completely wrecked when I carried them around, I loved those when I was in high school and I need to revisit many of these bands.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

If you're an out of work extreme metal drummer, and you live in Norway, Borknagar needs you! :downsrim:

http://www.artisannorway.com/3784/borknagar-needs-a-new-drummer/

(And to answer the potentially obvious questions: Asgeir Mickelson is apparently now 'retired', [e.g. 'playing a hell of a lot of poker'] and Hellhammer's status is unknown.)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Seriously! I have been nerding it up on metal sites for a decade and my head imploded a few tracks into the third top notch album in a row of those you recommended. Holy poo poo dude, I am impressed and grateful.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 26, 2011

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Yeah I was gonna post basically this but didn't know how to do it without coming off like a metal babby (which is basically what I am, so maybe I should've just gone ahead and done it). Kudos, dude.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Yeah I was gonna post basically this but didn't know how to do it without coming off like a metal babby (which is basically what I am, so maybe I should've just gone ahead and done it). Kudos, dude.

There's just SO MUCH metal out there, that I find it really hard to keep track.

"You going to go see Satanic Femur Nun Abortion this Sat?"
"The one from Oakland?
"No - the one from Montevideo."

:geno:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Firewind just put on a ridiculously awesome show for like 32 people. They looked like they had a hell of a time on stage.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I admire Gr31lly's taste and knowledge. You're doing a lot of people good with the recommendations too man, keep it up.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

QPZIL posted:

Last.fm actually does its job once in a while if you wait and sift long enough. Thulcandra, Unanimated and Watain came up for Dissection radio but there's a LOT of misses to skip over.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Soiled Meat
This is why there's the Gr31lly rule in the OP.

Also, Arghoslent is amazing, I think they are the only melodic death metal band I enjoy.

EDIT: And The Chasm.

EDIT2: And Infinitum Obscure, but really I guess all the mexican death metal bands fall under "melodic death metal"

CRIP EATIN BREAD fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 26, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Also, Arghoslent is amazing, I think they are the only melodic death metal band I enjoy.

I love them, but I can't for the life of me figure out their message.

I do know a guy tried to got in my face for mentioning liking them at a show.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Their message is that they don't really like black people.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MrBling posted:

Their message is that they don't really like black people.

That's what I figured. But their interviews sort of dance around it. "Oh, ha ha, yeah, we uh, we don't consider ourselves a NSBM band. I mean, we share SOME of the NS views, but I mean, it's all about the MUSIC, ya know?"

I guess "some of the views" equates to hating blacks.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

Last.fm actually does its job once in a while if you wait and sift long enough. Thulcandra, Unanimated and Watain came up for Dissection radio but there's a LOT of misses to skip over.

I find it more effective to sort through the bands tagged as similar on the website rather than using the radio. The selection of tracks gets really repetitive, especially with bands with limited discographies.

QPZIL posted:

I love them, but I can't for the life of me figure out their message.

I do know a guy tried to got in my face for mentioning liking them at a show.

There's an album name about "bigotry", then there's a guy who goes by "Holocausto", then there's a song about raping a slave, there's a split named after a line from "The White Man's Burden", and all the songs about tribes being corrupted - typical righteous racist bullshit. They use a lot of antiquated and obscure language to hold their beliefs sacred, or to be pseudo-intellectual jackasses, depending on who you ask. The song "In Coffles They Were Led" is about beating down savage slaves and chaining them together and leading them in packs, then they get to the part that goes "may Christian faith release us from this guilt" and you can put together a complete stereotype of the ignorant people that they are.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Fair points.

VVV didn't know about the GBK interconnection either. There's no ambiguity now!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 26, 2011

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

QPZIL posted:

That's what I figured. But their interviews sort of dance around it. "Oh, ha ha, yeah, we uh, we don't consider ourselves a NSBM band. I mean, we share SOME of the NS views, but I mean, it's all about the MUSIC, ya know?"

Not to mention several of them were in Grand Belial's Key which, I believe, was overtly an NSBM band, or at the very least had some pretty clearly racist/anti-Semitic lyrics. Seriously, like the music you like but don't fool yourself about the "ambiguity" of their message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Soiled Meat

QPZIL posted:

They also refuse to ship their CDs to Israel.

Grand Belial's Key's Kosherat is a really good album, though.