Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Haven't seen Arkist's new EP discussed and gave that a few listens lately. Really like the deep and grimey sound. Here's a link, it's a free download.

Also spent some time lately with the Hotflush podcast. Heard about it since Arkist did the most recent volume, but I'm backtracking through the rest as well, plus the site has some other good mixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

air- posted:

Haven't seen Arkist's new EP discussed and gave that a few listens lately. Really like the deep and grimey sound. Here's a link, it's a free download.

Also spent some time lately with the Hotflush podcast. Heard about it since Arkist did the most recent volume, but I'm backtracking through the rest as well, plus the site has some other good mixes.

Thanks for the info, just subscribed to the podcast and downloaded the EP...gotta give it a listen throughout the day, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Since dub techno and dub house are becoming a lot more to my liking these days, I went back to Millions of Moments and discovered a good dozen releases I didn't know they had, plus a new Synkro single on great transparent yellow wax that's apparently not for sale anywhere except their official site (which charges brutally for shipping). MoM might issue the best vinyl I've come across, and I get a lot of it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I've also been loading up the iPod with podcasts.. what else would you guys recommend? So far I've got Hotflush, Rinse, and Boiler Room.

And another free EP from Requake, a duo in Belgium. Blunt is pretty amazing.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

air- posted:

I've also been loading up the iPod with podcasts.. what else would you guys recommend? So far I've got Hotflush, Rinse, and Boiler Room.

And another free EP from Requake, a duo in Belgium. Blunt is pretty amazing.

With Rinse you really just have to pick a few shows and stick with them. It's impossible to try to listen to Rinse's like, 16+ hours of radio every day. I personally enjoy: Hessle Audio's show, Oneman (Oneman & Asbo are favs), the Numbers show, the swamp 81 show. I have friends that love Elijah & Skilliam's show, but I to be honest haven't listened to too many of their shows. FACT puts out podcasts twice a week that cover a wide variety of artists, and Resident Advisor also has great podcasts.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

air- posted:

If you like cheeky future garage (or garage in general) you would probably like Whistla's show on SUB.FM.

I haven't kept up with it recently but its pretty good sometimes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

T-Polar's newest EP is out on Saigon Recordings today and it's really quite excellent. I picked up an EP he put up awhile back (via Acroplane, a little leftfield house that flies under the radar) on a whim and I was really surprised at how nobody was talking about him, given the quality of his work. Now he's getting support from 2562 and all the Autonomic folk. About time if you asked me.

Lead single. There's an Orphan101 remix that's even better but it's not up on youtube.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

New Reso EP on the way 21/11/11. He's such a nerd, EP is called Ishimura and the other track is called Vanquish.

http://soundcloud.com/reso/reso-ishimura-ep-preview

<3

lycheeee
Jan 14, 2011

what up meat puck
Skream played a sweet disco set at the afterparty for NYC's HARD, too bad a lot of the attendees didn't get that there is music in the world that's NOT dubstep:

Despite standing within touching distance, I definitely did not have the balls to say a single word to him.

lycheeee fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 24, 2011

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Skream is a cool dude, you should have at least said hi! I had a 5 minute chat with Plastician about Manchester United this summer, he is also a great bloke. He is also very short.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

The actual HARD show was boss. Joker was the poo poo, 2nd time seeing him. loving dropped Streets of Rage 2 theme music. Skream & Benga went off as usual.

lycheeee
Jan 14, 2011

what up meat puck

knox posted:

The actual HARD show was boss. Joker was the poo poo, 2nd time seeing him. loving dropped Streets of Rage 2 theme music. Skream & Benga went off as usual.

God yes, I'm still reveling in the glory of Joker, I could have done that for about 3 more hours.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

knox posted:

The actual HARD show was boss. Joker was the poo poo, 2nd time seeing him. loving dropped Streets of Rage 2 theme music.

HE DID WHAT!?! Holy poo poo, that's amazing!

88h88 posted:

New Reso EP on the way 21/11/11. He's such a nerd, EP is called Ishimura and the other track is called Vanquish.

http://soundcloud.com/reso/reso-ishimura-ep-preview

<3

Best news I've heard all night. Thanks!

Riot.EXE fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 25, 2011

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Riot.EXE posted:

Best news I've heard all night. Thanks!

Note that Ishimura made it's debut on that ETM mix he did a couple of months back:
http://www.mixcloud.com/resomusic/reso-etm-mix/

Back then it was called Necromorph. Also you're very welcome.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

thepopstalinist posted:

T-Polar's newest EP is out on Saigon Recordings today and it's really quite excellent. I picked up an EP he put up awhile back (via Acroplane, a little leftfield house that flies under the radar) on a whim and I was really surprised at how nobody was talking about him, given the quality of his work. Now he's getting support from 2562 and all the Autonomic folk. About time if you asked me.

Lead single. There's an Orphan101 remix that's even better but it's not up on youtube.

A name that's unfortunately so, so close to T-Power doesn't help I guess, but I like to be smug for a moment here and make a note, no one bothered when he was releasing digital only stuff, the moment he has a couple vinyl releases on Saigon and Kaboogie folks notice. Coincidence I think not! Vinyl does what Digi-don't! :smug:

Of course the argument is blown out the water since he apparently has had a vinyl doublepack album out before, but shut up! In all serious though, it sounds like a nice release. Saigon Records is really becoming a label to keep an eye on.

And for those of you who can remember far back in time to the first part of the history guide, good news from Warp. Okay a bit of old news first since I didn't see anyone talking about it. LFO's classic debut album Frequencies is getting a re-issue as a double pack. Finally you can put the old single plate original down and enjoy the bass as it's meant to. Re-mastered at Dubplates & Mastering however which is a bummer. Not that they'd do a bad job, but unless it's really warranted re-mastering isn't generally something I like seen done. Especially since those early Warp releases are really sweet already. Whatever the case, Frequencies is fantastic and one of the few dance music LPs that actually works as an LP.

Warp are also putting out a Sweet Exorcist (Cabaret Voltaire's Richard H. Kirk and DJ Parrot) 2CD set next month that gathers together most - if not all - of their early Warp output. Worth it if any of you haven't already picked them up cheap second hand, which by now you really should've.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Joker uses the SoR 2 Stage 1 track as a set opener quite often. He puts in some nice old grime tracks too like Pulse X and Bongo.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

In this mix for Mary Ann Hobbs Joker plays a bunch of old sega poo poo. At the show he asked "who had a sega megadrive" but you could barely understand him with his accent and being as hosed up as he was.

http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=156930

Here's two tracks from UK duo Taiki & NUlight, they have tunes coming out on Benga Beats/Sin City. Benga dropped them at the HARD show, absolute madness, highlights of the set.

Taiki & NUlight - Dirty Habbit
http://soundcloud.com/taiki-nulight-uk/skream-and-benga-radio-1-9-09

this one is titled "Pure" talked to them on twitter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U__TzQLQv2k

knox fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 26, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

knox posted:

In this mix for Mary Ann Hobbs Joker plays a bunch of old sega poo poo. At the show he asked "who had a sega megadrive" but you could barely understand him with his accent and being as hosed up as he was.

http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=156930

Anyone who was anyone had a Mega Drive. SNES was for wee kids with it's primary colours and slow, fat plumbers. And no blood in Mortal Kombat. What's the point without it I mean really?

More fresh news in, Seiji #5 drops at the end of next month. As usual more great work from the man, he's really hit a great vein of music over the past year, following the likes of Zed Bias with some real dancefloor workouts. Some big label really needs to snap him up and give it the exposure it deserves.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Anyone who was anyone had a Mega Drive. SNES was for wee kids with it's primary colours and slow, fat plumbers. And no blood in Mortal Kombat. What's the point without it I mean really?

More fresh news in, Seiji #5 drops at the end of next month. As usual more great work from the man, he's really hit a great vein of music over the past year, following the likes of Zed Bias with some real dancefloor workouts. Some big label really needs to snap him up and give it the exposure it deserves.

Only in the first MK...blood was left in after that.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
Pandora has been a lot more helpful than I thought it was going to be, like showing me a lot of Caspas much older stuff and Kamek The Dope Computer all coming off of Skream & Benga radio.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Was listening to modeselektors "50 weapons of choice" comp's and discovered some quality tracks by Benjamin damage & Doc Daneeka. They are probably super old by now (by uk bass standards) but i was impressed anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wegecg07GC0

On monkeytown records, that track has a real techno-y vibe to it, their other track "creeper" is good too.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

LE0N posted:

Was listening to modeselektors "50 weapons of choice" comp's and discovered some quality tracks by Benjamin damage & Doc Daneeka. They are probably super old by now (by uk bass standards) but i was impressed anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wegecg07GC0

On monkeytown records, that track has a real techno-y vibe to it, their other track "creeper" is good too.

If you liked that Doc Daneeka also has a couple of singles and EPs on Ramp/Pattern you should check out if you haven't already. Some bits are more Housey while some are more Techno-y, but they're all a nice set of releases either way.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
That Bass Release tumblr has been a godsend! Saves me so much time and effort.

I also really like that T-Polar EP from Saigon.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Going to the Bassnectar concert in Dallas on the 31st and am super pumped, anyone else seen the show elsewhere?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Nah but I've seen a billion shows like it!!! Oh man just you wait for the build up, it gets sick nasty nasty when it dubs into the drops!! pure filth! slit my throat!

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
^^^ Aren't you just impressive with your grasp of sarcasm. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to talk to you.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Going to the Bassnectar concert in Dallas on the 31st and am super pumped, anyone else seen the show elsewhere?

I was supposed to go but I opted out because I lost my job recently. I went last year when it was sold out and hopefully it will again because that show was fantastic. By the end of the it me and my friend were sitting in the back of the Palladium with our backs against the wall buzzing from all the bass. Won't forget it, it was my first sold out show. Hopefully he does some sort of Halloween thing, I'd be surprised if he didn't. I hope you have a blast and try and squeeze as far up front as you can before the end of it so you can get in on his "family photo". Have as much fun as you can possibly muster, enough to compensate for me while I begrudgingly hand out candy on my front porch.

Alas, I have to settle for doing an interview with Zeds Dead when they come to Trees in November. I've really been trying to get this interview series together and getting whoever I can but so few good bass producers come to the Metroplex except for the really bro ones. Caspa was here last March but I wasn't even aware and apparently he went to Insomnia. Don't know if you're local to the area or if you're familiar with it but Insomnia isn't really the most respectable venue there is. It's the strip club that Vinnie Paul (& Formerly Dimebag) of Pantera owns and turns into an after hours rave club on the weekends. I once walked out of there at 8 in the morning and a dude showed me a fistful of differently pressed and colored tabs without batting an eye and being pretty loud about it if that tells you the quality of its patrons or its neighborhood. The pics I saw of Caspa just had him drenched and four sheets to the wind. Just gone. Don't necessarily blame him or judge but that's pretty much the scene here.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 27, 2011

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Yeah I'm not much to talk to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYOHceiK2Uo

You guys heard this A1 bassline tune?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Maguro posted:

Yeah I'm not much to talk to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYOHceiK2Uo

You guys heard this A1 bassline tune?

fuuuuuuuuuuuu

when is this coming out on vinyl?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Speaking of Bassnectar

SURPRISE!

Have Udu Shuffle, a Bassnectar single that I took off a excellent OM Lounge breaks/garage comp from 03. Up until a few years ago this was all I had heard from him up until a few years ago and boy was I surprised at how sharp a fall it'd been. But this is genuinely pretty drat good so give it a go.

Oh and I've got a bet on with myself that this video will end up with megaviews, just because it's got Bassnectar in the title. Of the recent videos I've upload the best I've got is the Horsepower remix of Blazin' Squad that has 136 views, most of which I blame on LE0N and his no doubt sharing it with his Blazin' Squad loving friends who have posters on their walls of Kenzie taken from Smash Hits mag.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

TWSS posted:

when is this coming out on vinyl?

oh hey it came out an hour ago.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

If you liked that Doc Daneeka also has a couple of singles and EPs on Ramp/Pattern you should check out if you haven't already. Some bits are more Housey while some are more Techno-y, but they're all a nice set of releases either way.

Doc Daneeka has some good tunes, led me to getting in to Breach (Ben Westbeech's bassier alias). LE0N you might like some of Hackman's stuff too.

On the housier side, I like some of the Eats Everything tunes I just started checking out.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Speaking of Bassnectar

SURPRISE!

Have Udu Shuffle, a Bassnectar single that I took off a excellent OM Lounge breaks/garage comp from 03.

Man, this tune is pretty great. I wish he still made poo poo like this! Also a bit off topic, but does anyone know where to get a sample of the really crisp and uniform-sounding pull-up or quick rewind that almost every decent bassline UKG tune has?

I don't think recording pull-ups into my MPC is gonna have the same results...

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Maguro posted:

Man, this tune is pretty great. I wish he still made poo poo like this! Also a bit off topic, but does anyone know where to get a sample of the really crisp and uniform-sounding pull-up or quick rewind that almost every decent bassline UKG tune has?

Sampling would be the easiest. Like you say either wind it yourself (you'd be surprised at how good you may get it, even if you need to edit it up a bit), or even sample it off whatever record it is you like. Otherwise there surely is bound to be something on a sample CD. Hip-Hop or turntablist thing. I'd look at my small stack of sample CDs as I'm sure there is one on there somewhere, but I'll be damned if I know where they are and more importantly they'll be in E-mu's own super fun proprietry format just so you can't play or rip them easily.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Maguro posted:

I'll look in my samples and see if I can find you one.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Otherwise there surely is bound to be something on a sample CD. Hip-Hop or turntablist thing. I'd look at my small stack of sample CDs as I'm sure there is one on there somewhere

Yeah I figured there had to be at least one popular one on a sample CD somewhere, some of these rewinds sound very "samey". I've sampled a few rewinds from soundclashes and jungle tunes but none of them have that same touch.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Oh yeah, chrissy murderbot uploaded this loving fantastic 2-step remix as a free download a few weeks ago.

Miles Bonny - We (Chrissy Murderbot RMX)
http://soundcloud.com/chrissymurderbot/miles-bonny-we-chrissy

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Deadboy made a creepy bass mix for Halloween. No tracklist, but it's pretty loving great.

http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2011/10/listen-deadboys-halloween-mix

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
New Zomby (Labyrinth) is wicked, old school flavor. Far more interesting than his ambient stuff.

thepopstalinist posted:

Since dub techno and dub house are becoming a lot more to my liking these days, I went back to Millions of Moments and discovered a good dozen releases I didn't know they had, plus a new Synkro single on great transparent yellow wax that's apparently not for sale anywhere except their official site (which charges brutally for shipping). MoM might issue the best vinyl I've come across, and I get a lot of it.

Synkro sounds like a pretty mixed bag of styles. I haven't checked any dub techno since (the excellent) Basic Channel and Bandulu, any recommendations along those lines?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I believe Synrko is like the Autonomic guys in that he's a bass producer who came to the style from a DnB background. He plays in a lot of different styles but he seems to be mainly focused on atmosphere, with his default being dBridge-flavord DnB. Wasn't too long ago that he was essentially pegged as a Burial imitator, but I think his stuff is pretty strong on its own merits.

Personally I'm not so much into Basic Channel or Deepchord or those guys, which I guess makes me a bad dub techno fan? I don't know, that straight-up warehouse sound just doesn't jibe with me, not through headphones anyway (I do like a bit of Vladislav Delay's solo work, though).

Basically I'm into a certain strain of dub techno / house that is a lot more... home listening-oriented? I don't want to say "cleaner" since a lot of Basic Channel is quite cleanly produced (Deepchord sounds like techno club field recordings to my ears), but the stuff I've gravitated toward does seem different (and if Boomkat's "Basic Channel / Dub Techno" genre label is anything to go by, difference is hard to find in that scene). The two labels that I really adhere to are Silent Season and Millions of Moments, both of which have carved out fairly distinct styles (though MoM will spring for slo-house as well as dub techno, and their newest sub-label deals in UK Garage). I think the former might be a harder sell than the latter - a lot of the tracks I have from their artists wouldn't sound out of place on Selected Ambient Works Volume II. They have some free releases, check them out.

The ambient side of dub techno might be my thing - I've really taken to Bvdub, who pretty much owns that sound and is incredibly prolific. He's got ties to the bass scene as well, he released a collaborative EP with ASC a month or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

I made yet another juke tune, hope you dudes like it:

CHUMP CHANGE - FLEET

http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/fleet

Free download.

• Locked thread