Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maeungochu
Oct 3, 2011
Congratulations to both of you!

You guys were making me nervous as I haven't received anything... Found someone posting online saying "written test results will be sent (via email) NLT Friday - 28 OCT" as per the ACT person they talked with over the phone. So if anyone else is wondering where your stuff is, just wait~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Also make sure to check your spam filters.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just stumbled onto this thread through a google search (even though I post all the time here). Pretty proud of myself (61 on job knowledge, 169 on multiple choice, and a 9 essay). Still need to read the thread but the personal narrative thing they want in two weeks is stressing me out (haven't clicked on the link they provided yet).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
180.18 and 8.
Woooo!

maeungochu
Oct 3, 2011
166 and failed the essay. I was afraid of this, as I only spent 10 minutes out of the 30 to do it and did not use 5 paragraph format. This is what happens when you don't look up anything online before taking the test. Oh well, I suppose this was the reason I took it my junior year. Congrats again to everyone else.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Just stumbled onto this thread through a google search (even though I post all the time here). Pretty proud of myself (61 on job knowledge, 169 on multiple choice, and a 9 essay). Still need to read the thread but the personal narrative thing they want in two weeks is stressing me out (haven't clicked on the link they provided yet).

The PNQ really do not seem so bad if you just take a look at it and breathe. They're pretty typical self-analytic questions; if you've done any interviews in the recent past, you've probably had similar things presented to you and given off-the-cuff answers. Now you just need to clean it up and write it up.

(And add one more potential "recovering attorney" to the cohort. I definitely did not give myself enough credit on the bio section, but JK/EE saved me.)

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
Passed!! Time to start the PNQs.

Rangaku
Apr 1, 2011

Passed the written by a good margin (if I understand this T-score nonsense right), even though I was sure my crap essay would doom me. On to PNQ's!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
My flights changed and I won't be staying in DC until my way back out (14th -18th) -- I'll re-confirm in the copgoon lounge thread when we get around to that point in time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kalman posted:

The PNQ really do not seem so bad if you just take a look at it and breathe. They're pretty typical self-analytic questions; if you've done any interviews in the recent past, you've probably had similar things presented to you and given off-the-cuff answers. Now you just need to clean it up and write it up.

(And add one more potential "recovering attorney" to the cohort. I definitely did not give myself enough credit on the bio section, but JK/EE saved me.)

Thanks! You're an attorney too? Passed the NY Bar in Feb and I'm already looking to get into another field.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Thanks! You're an attorney too? Passed the NY Bar in Feb and I'm already looking to get into another field.

Technically not til January (took the July 11 NY bar, results should be out in a week or two). In this particular case, "recovering" really means "unemployed". FS is a possible alternative if none of my Hill work can be converted into something someone will pay me for.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kalman posted:

Technically not til January (took the July 11 NY bar, results should be out in a week or two). In this particular case, "recovering" really means "unemployed". FS is a possible alternative if none of my Hill work can be converted into something someone will pay me for.

I know your pain, dude. But a word to the wise, if you do pass, you can get doc review work ($29-40 hour, with hellacious hours) pretty easily if you move to NY/DC.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got a 151. :( It looks like I lost a lot of points on the biographical information section, it had a solid 18 points less then the other two sections. Again my low sense of self-achievement bites me in the rear end.

Well. Thanks for all the advice thread.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Tyro posted:

gently caress yeah. 174.85 on the MC and a 10 on the essay. Time to start my PNQs.

Your scores aren't so much different than mine (you have higher MC, lower essay) and I washed out at the PNQ stage. I'd strongly strongly suggest you get a first draft of all the PNQ responses done the first week, ASAP. Then revise, revise, revise, revise.

Good job on the score though, same for all you guys.

Edit: I can't stress enough how important it is to take the time to revise and fine-tune the language on the PNQ responses.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 28, 2011

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier
Well I passed the QEP again for the Consular Adjudicator position. I'll probably see some of you Generalist applicants at the OA's in a few months in DC. Good luck!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ronald Spiers posted:

Well I passed the QEP again for the Consular Adjudicator position. I'll probably see some of you Generalist applicants at the OA's in a few months in DC. Good luck!

This is pretty much solidifying my feeling that applying to DoS is like setting up a character in DnD. I can only hope that I get the neutral political officer/diplomat/half-elf position.

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
First month here in China has flown by. So far, I'm loving it, especially the food.

I get to go to Bangkok for training in March. :D

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dameius posted:

Your scores aren't so much different than mine (you have higher MC, lower essay) and I washed out at the PNQ stage. I'd strongly strongly suggest you get a first draft of all the PNQ responses done the first week, ASAP. Then revise, revise, revise, revise.

Good job on the score though, same for all you guys.

Edit: I can't stress enough how important it is to take the time to revise and fine-tune the language on the PNQ responses.
Yeah, I have to start that this weekend.
Last time I waited until the last weekend. Don't be like me.

Consolation: My mom went to high school with a reasonably notable ambassador (career FS, not a political person), and she (the ambassador) thinks the process rejects a lot of people who would be better than a number who pass. It is weird system.
She also says don't become a FSO just because you want to travel, though that should be obvious.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for the advice Dameius and nm. Are there any issues with using stories for the PNQs that you also may want to use for the OA? (ie do the OA guys have your PNQs at hand or are they totally separate processes?)

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
177.86! Turns out the second time is the charm.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Passed again (first time was 3 years ago in last year of undergrad), going to put a lot more effort into the PNQs this time though, and have some much cooler stuff for them.

Looking at the multiple choice questions, I wonder how they're graded. How do you get a score like 59.97 on the job knowledge section? It doesn't really matter since I passed (with a 175 or so), but I'd be curious to find out the grading algorithms.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 29, 2011

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011
Congrats to all that passed. If it helps any.. the PNQs probably are more stressful then they need to be. We tend to focus on the PNQs more then the QEP as a whole. They won't make or break you me thinks. My theory is overseas experience and language skills help the most... but its really a mystery.

In other news, I am about done with my internship application (due November 7th now). I'm applying to PRC and Ethiopia. The 2500 character SoI for this is much harder than the PNQs were... how do I fit in why I want to intern in two completely different Bureaus in one short prompt? hmmm.... :colbert:

Anything exciting happening over in the Horn of Africa these days? (Pirates, famine, new countries... boring right?) *looks at Diplomaticus*

mtreecorner fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 29, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Well you got Kenya invading Somalia, a bunch of harsh new legislation here in the country, the ongoing famine issues, lots of aid worker kidnappings, etc.

Yeah there's all sorts of interesting things going on here but it's all kind of the same stuff as six months ago.

What kind of internship is it: State or USAID?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Also congrats everyone on your FSOTs

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Diplomaticus posted:

What kind of internship is it: State or USAID?

State. I figured that going somewhere in the Horn would keep me on my toes. More *ahem* "engaging" than say Paris...

I guess the confusing thing is when you apply... you pick two bureaus and two countries respective to those bureaus. Are you only considered in those countries or is it throughout the bureau? I tried to write my SoI specifically... but that was challenging not knowing if it should only be written for that country, region, etc.

Plus, wanted to pick your brain to see what the embassy was working on these days. I wrote about interest in the response to the famine and also PEPFAR.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

mtreecorner posted:

State. I figured that going somewhere in the Horn would keep me on my toes. More *ahem* "engaging" than say Paris...

I guess the confusing thing is when you apply... you pick two bureaus and two countries respective to those bureaus. Are you only considered in those countries or is it throughout the bureau? I tried to write my SoI specifically... but that was challenging not knowing if it should only be written for that country, region, etc.

Plus, wanted to pick your brain to see what the embassy was working on these days. I wrote about interest in the response to the famine and also PEPFAR.

I have no idea how the bureaus decide it. But since not every post in the bureau will have internships open, I can't imagine it's bureau-wide (plus can you imagine how pissed some people might be if they applied for Addis or Pretoria and got Juba or N'Djamena?)

Famine and PEPFAR are both mostly on AID side. I'm on the emergency task force so I'm monitoring it for State but the vast majority of both resources and work are with USAID. Our interns (in my office) do bilateral relations and reporting.

Our last intern co-wrote with me a cable on the budget, on the banking system, and did a couple sectoral analyses.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Diplomaticus posted:

I have no idea how the bureaus decide it. But since not every post in the bureau will have internships open, I can't imagine it's bureau-wide (plus can you imagine how pissed some people might be if they applied for Addis or Pretoria and got Juba or N'Djamena?)

Famine and PEPFAR are both mostly on AID side. I'm on the emergency task force so I'm monitoring it for State but the vast majority of both resources and work are with USAID. Our interns (in my office) do bilateral relations and reporting.

Our last intern co-wrote with me a cable on the budget, on the banking system, and did a couple sectoral analyses.

Thanks. That really does help me.

They suggest you talk about the bureau and the work they are doing / how it fits with your education and/or career. Unfortunately the website is all about PEPFAR and the famine issue... So the more day-to-day type issues related more to state its hard to decipher. But I have a good starting place.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mtreecorner posted:

Congrats to all that passed. If it helps any.. the PNQs probably are more stressful then they need to be. We tend to focus on the PNQs more then the QEP as a whole. They won't make or break you me thinks. My theory is overseas experience and language skills help the most... but its really a mystery.

In other news, I am about done with my internship application (due November 7th now). I'm applying to PRC and Ethiopia. The 2500 character SoI for this is much harder than the PNQs were... how do I fit in why I want to intern in two completely different Bureaus in one short prompt? hmmm.... :colbert:

Anything exciting happening over in the Horn of Africa these days? (Pirates, famine, new countries... boring right?) *looks at Diplomaticus*

I actually lived in Ethiopia for two years (08-10). Where in Ethiopia do you plan on moving to?

I've got a question of my own. I'm doing the PNQ, and I'm considering writing about the time I crossed the border into Somaliland, and on the way back (I was stuck in a jeep with a bunch of Somalians who didn't have proper visas), had to wrangle with a bunch of riled up Ethiopians who had surrounded our car.

I'm worried about its legality (I managed to get a visa, but it was from the unofficial Somaliland embassy in Addis Ababa, good luck finding the proper Somali embassy). Wouldn't talking about it hurt me instead?

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Shageletic posted:

I actually lived in Ethiopia for two years (08-10). Where in Ethiopia do you plan on moving to?

I've got a question of my own. I'm doing the PNQ, and I'm considering writing about the time I crossed the border into Somaliland, and on the way back (I was stuck in a jeep with a bunch of Somalians who didn't have proper visas), had to wrangle with a bunch of riled up Ethiopians who had surrounded our car.

I'm worried about its legality (I managed to get a visa, but it was from the unofficial Somaliland embassy in Addis Ababa, good luck finding the proper Somali embassy). Wouldn't talking about it hurt me instead?

You didn't break any American laws.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Crap, I wish I had seen this thread before! Passed with a 159.16 and 8, and was majorly dragged down by a 39.3 on the biographic section. Since the panel accounts for both the PNQs and the test, am I pretty much dead in the water? I applied for the Econ cone, if it matters.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

surrender posted:

Crap, I wish I had seen this thread before! Passed with a 159.16 and 8, and was majorly dragged down by a 39.3 on the biographic section. Since the panel accounts for both the PNQs and the test, am I pretty much dead in the water? I applied for the Econ cone, if it matters.

No. They take into account your test score but it seems like more a pass or fail type situation. What will be more important is your resume/background and PNQs.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I am applying to State Department Internship at the Embassy. It would just be for the summer.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

mtreecorner posted:

I am applying to State Department Internship at the Embassy. It would just be for the summer.

Translation: you'll be living at the Hilton (or some other non-Sheraton hotel) in Addis.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011
ugh Sheratons... lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

haha. Don't be that guy (other problem sign: tinted Jeep). Best thing I can suggest: get out of the soul-sucking circle of expatriates bent on ignoring the country they are actually in, and befriend the Ethiopians you manage to work with. Some of the smartest, hardest working, and enjoyable people I've ever met were Ethiopians doing ten times the work of their Western bosses, while earning ten times as little.

EDIT: Other thing, getting around Addis through mini-buses, taxis and bajajs (three wheeled contraptions) takes a while to get used to. Don't be afraid of asking for help (you'll need it).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

mtreecorner posted:

ugh Sheratons... lol

The Sheraton is the only 5-star hotel in the country. Horrendously overpriced but a good place to network.

Shageletic posted:

haha. Don't be that guy (other problem sign: tinted Jeep). Best thing I can suggest: get out of the soul-sucking circle of expatriates bent on ignoring the country they are actually in, and befriend the Ethiopians you manage to work with. Some of the smartest, hardest working, and enjoyable people I've ever met were Ethiopians doing ten times the work of their Western bosses, while earning ten times as little.

Not sure if this was directed at me or mtree. I spend more time with my ethiopians than I do with ferengi. If Ethiopians didn't have the personality that they do, this post wouldn't be so much fun. They are incredibly hard-working, some of the nicest people I've ever met in any country, and even the uneducated ones have a worldly intelligence that I am continuously amazed by.

quote:

EDIT: Other thing, getting around Addis through mini-buses, taxis and bajajs (three wheeled contraptions) takes a while to get used to. Don't be afraid of asking for help (you'll need it).

Blue Donkeys/Matatus/Minibuses are off-limits for safety reasons. I don't think Bajajs/tuk-tuks/auto-rickshaws are, but there's no way in hell you would ever get me in one of those deathtraps.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
On another note -- what would be this thread's general feelings on requesting that it be moved to GIP? There's already threads there for police (including DS, there's at least one DS agent in the copgoons thread), fire, public safety, contractors (including state WPS/personal security contractors). If the mods OK it, I don't think it would be too far of a stretch.

I mean, we're in public service, often overseas, working side-by-side with the military (especially POL/MIL types), have security clearances, we have rank equivalencies to military commissionedofficers.... and (as BOF once corrected me on the yahoogroups) we swear the same oath with our commission.

I mean, we're the diplomatic CORPS for a reason.

-e- we could even split it into two threads: make a Foreign Service Diplogoons thread in GIP, and rename this something like "[ASK] me about taking the FSOT/Joining the Foreign Service" thread here in A/T.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011
I found the answer to my question before:

"When you apply [For a State internship], you may select up to two Bureaus and express interest in specific locations within those Bureaus. If there are no internship opportunties in the locations where you express interest, you will still be considered for other locations within those Bureaus."

So... looks like I could get offered anywhere in Africa or Asia. I'll add some more regionally general info to my SoI then.

Also, I was joking about the Sheraton... I am probably one the least spoiled people when it comes to accommodations. (This is the person who camps by himself in death valley) I'd be happy not getting too walled off...

And yeah... The Ferengi are the worst. Always looking to scam you.

mtreecorner fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 30, 2011

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Diplomaticus posted:

On another note -- what would be this thread's general feelings on requesting that it be moved to GIP? There's already threads there for police (including DS, there's at least one DS agent in the copgoons thread), fire, public safety, contractors (including state WPS/personal security contractors). If the mods OK it, I don't think it would be too far of a stretch.

I mean, we're in public service, often overseas, working side-by-side with the military (especially POL/MIL types), have security clearances, we have rank equivalencies to military commissionedofficers.... and (as BOF once corrected me on the yahoogroups) we swear the same oath with our commission.

I mean, we're the diplomatic CORPS for a reason.

-e- we could even split it into two threads: make a Foreign Service Diplogoons thread in GIP, and rename this something like "[ASK] me about taking the FSOT/Joining the Foreign Service" thread here in A/T.

I would guess the thread would get more readership where it is in A/T. Otoh, a post or thread in GiP about how great a post-military career this is could be good.

e: could just include a link to the OP and address military-specific issues in GiP.

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Hey! Does anyone know anything about working for/getting a job with the Canadian FS?

I know this is the US thread but it seems like the best place to ask, being an international job and all. I actually asked this earlier and Diplomaticus said he knew some Canadians but they shipped out, so I figured the question could use repeating.