Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Gaza posted:

I seemed to have missed the memo...Why am I subhuman if I use 16:9? I just ordered a 27 inch samsung monitor and it looks superb. Is 16:9 really that much worse than 16:10 or is this some sort of joke that went over my head?

Thread title is more of a joke. I briefly cover 16:9 vs. 16:10 in the OP, but other than the "MAH PIXELS" arguement, I'll just paste from the OP:

movax posted:

1920x1200 vs 1920x1080
A few manufacturers offer both 1920x1200 and 1920x1080 models. The latter number is probably familiar to you: it's a standard HDTV resolution. why might you choose one over the other?

Q: Why should you buy a 1920x1200 monitor?
A: That extra 120px of vertical space allows you to edit/view a 1920x1080 frame 1:1, while still viewing your Photoshop menus / taskbar. This task would be somewhat trickier on a 1920x1080 display.

Q: Why should you get a 1920x1080 display?
A: If you don't give a poo poo about the above reason and really dislike black bars for some reason.
A: If you hook up a PS3/360/BR player to a 1920x1200 display, you're always going to have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. If you hook up said source to a 1920x1080 display, you might not always have black bars. Just remember that some movies are 2.39:1 aspect ratio, which means you ALWAYS. HAVE. BARS.)

Extra: Why are 16:10 displays going poof?
Many laptop models now ship with 16:9 screens, with marketing slogans like "1080p on the go!". The manufacturers see no sense in maintaining multiple lines when the majority of consumers couldn't care less about 120 pixels of resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
Oh okay that makes sense. Yeah I really don't care.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Once you get to 27" or higher it doesn't make much of a difference to me. 1440 vs 1600 vertical pixels doesn't really phase me. I can go back and forth between the two without issue.

Ah really? I was worried about going from a 24" 16:10 monitor to a 27" 16:9. Guess I'll wait for a nice sale and grab one.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Once you get to 27" or higher it doesn't make much of a difference to me. 1440 vs 1600 vertical pixels doesn't really phase me. I can go back and forth between the two without issue.

At that high a resolution though, the overhead from the taskbar/toolbars isn't nearly as high, relatively speaking. For lower resolutions (1366x768 :argh:) it's much more significant.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Ended up splurging and getting him an Asus VH238H

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gaza posted:

Is 16:9 really that much worse than 16:10 or is this some sort of joke that went over my head?

I have 3 16x9 1080p monitors, and 1 16x10 1920x1200 monitor. The 1080p ones are absolutely fine and while I would miss my 1920x1200 monitor, I wouldn't go out of my way to get a replacement for it that was 16x10 were it to die. YMMV.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah this is kind of my attitude. Also in the lower end, you can get a 1920x1080 monitor for a similar price as a 1680x1050 monitor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Also, OP, you may want to add a caveat to about the LED vs CCFL section that LEDs only offer the potential for lower power use, but in no way guarantee it, as evidenced by the ZR2240W (LED) using as much or more power than the ZR22W (CCFL) which it replaced. If people really care about power usage, they should actually look at the numbers, rather than just blindly believing that a LED will save them some pennies off their electricity bill.

As an extension of that, I'd be real interested in seeing the average temperatures of the two monitors, because I know that my 24" Dell's are all CCFL and can get quite warm after awhile.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Do you guys think I would notice a big difference if I upgraded from my 20.1" 1680x1050 lcd to the 23" ASUS VH238H?

This is my current setup:
i5 2500k
NVIDIA 560ti
8gb ram

Edit: The Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED looks really good too. Thoughts??

ROOMBA floorvac fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 28, 2011

Xanar
Feb 22, 2006
I got a Dell U2412M which I am using next to my Dell 2405 WFP that I got a long time ago. The 2405 has a yellow tint to it that I never noticed before but now that it is next to my newer monitor, I can't stop noticing it.

I've tried to change the colour settings by eye but I've not had much luck getting them to look similar.

Would one of the cheap monitor calibrators be worth it? It feels like I would just use it once then forget about it, its a shame you can't just rent these things.

Also I have read that CCFL backlights may turn yellow over time anyway and there is no way to reverse this so calibration would not make a difference. Is this true?

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

movax posted:

LED vs CCFL is covered in OP like a poster above said, but basically LED will be more power efficient, but will offer a different color temperature/gamut (you can always calibrate). That GPU should be OK @ 1680x1050, but you could look at some 1920x1080/1200 models as well; the display will outlast your GPU.

What's your budget? That'll help us focus recommendations for you.

Oh, whoops. I saw LED mentioned in the OP, but I didn't know what CCFL meant so I skimmed past it.

I've pretty much resigned myself to getting a 1,920×1,080 screen since that's pretty much all my local retailers sell. I live in Australia, so ordering online isn't a great option since I might get a foreign power cord which wouldn't be very useful.

My budget is less than $200 AU. I saw a good deal on an Acer P246HLbd, so chances are I'll just go with that unless I've made any glaring oversights.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

movax posted:

Thread title is more of a joke. I briefly cover 16:9 vs. 16:10 in the OP, but other than the "MAH PIXELS" arguement, I'll just paste from the OP:

There is no reason to choose a 16:10 1680x1050 panel over the much cheaper and more readily available 16:9 1920x1080 models though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I love 16:10 resolution and I hate that everything's being regulated to substandard tv ratios. I'm mad about monitors.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I love 16:10 resolution and I hate that everything's being regulated to substandard tv ratios. I'm mad about monitors.
Seriously. I have no need for a super-wide screen when everything on the web scrolls vertically already.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
gently caress 16:10, 4:3 is where it's at.

I am going to cry when one of my current monitors dies :smith:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

Seriously. I have no need for a super-wide screen when everything on the web scrolls vertically already.

Turn monitor into portrait mode, problem solved :smug:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Two 24" 1920x1200 vertical and a 30" 2560x1600 in the middle wide for ultimate comfort. Also get all your needed energy for vitamin D production right from your monitors.

Or be like my school and get 40 30" Ultrasharps in vertical format lined across a gigantic room constantly scrolling through news of the day.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Of course it would be pretty retarded to buy a 16:10 1680x1050 screen instead of a 16:9 1920x1080 one, all else being equal, but at the same time it's equally retarded to buy the 1920x1080 monior when a 16:10 one is jut a few bucks more, like with the Dell 2312/2412 monitors. Unfortunately I bought the 2311 a year ago when the next cheapest 24" was almost twice as much, so I'm stuck with 16:9. Honestly, it's not bad, but even after this long I just feel like this aspect ratio is wrong for most computing tasks.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
Ok, I think I'm going crazy here: my brand-new Dell 2330MX 23" monitor seems to have a problem where any area 3-ish inches from the lefthand side of the screen is slightly blurred. Not anything significant, but enough to get me very, very annoyed. I've tried flipping from my dedicated card to my onboard graphics set and that hasn't helped, I'm hoping someone else has seen this problem and can tell me if I need a new monitor (already) or if I'm just insane.

edit: this is apparently not a very big issue (but it does exist, I don't have Monitor Morgellan's or anything), but if you're using some of the new UltraSharp models, there are blurry areas towards the left of the screen. I can't speak for HDMI, but if you're using VGA, just auto-adjust your screen using the monitor controls. I felt really dumb.

InstantInfidel fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 29, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

InstantInfidel posted:

edit: this is apparently not a very big issue (but it does exist, I don't have Monitor Morgellan's or anything), but if you're using some of the new UltraSharp models, there are blurry areas towards the left of the screen. I can't speak for HDMI, [b]but if you're using VGA[b], just auto-adjust your screen using the monitor controls. I felt really dumb.

:psyduck: Why...why would you be using VGA? Seriously, there are $20 video cards that have a DVI/HDMI port that you could toss in there. The only excuse is if it's a laptop. Otherwise there is zero reason to ever use a VGA out for a UltraSharp. It'd be like getting out the fine china to serve sloppy joe with.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

DrDork posted:

:psyduck: Why...why would you be using VGA? Seriously, there are $20 video cards that have a DVI/HDMI port that you could toss in there. The only excuse is if it's a laptop. Otherwise there is zero reason to ever use a VGA out for a UltraSharp. It'd be like getting out the fine china to serve sloppy joe with.

What's worse is that my card has not only HDMI but also DVI.

edit: will the performance/appearance be that much better, actually?

InstantInfidel fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 30, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

InstantInfidel posted:

Yes.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

InstantInfidel posted:

Night and day.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

InstantInfidel posted:

So much better.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

I went with it and... hooooly poo poo it actually is a lot better, I'm kind of surprised.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I'm looking into building a computer soon, and I found this monitor for $130 after rebates: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824262012

Is that a good deal for an LED? I'll most likely have a Radeon 6870 and will mostly be using my computer for gaming. Right now I'm on a 24" iMac so I'd like to stick with a monitor of a similar size. If I'm reading correctly, with a 6870 and this monitor I'll have to use DVI-D right?

Stump Truck fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 30, 2011

Aitro
Jul 26, 2003
I LIKE SHITTY 80's MUSIC
I'm looking for a gaming monitor in the $100-200 price range. I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009266

I like the Asus VH238 but I don't want any loving speakers in my monitor. Are there any other decent monitors around without speakers? Or is the Acer there my best option? I can get a dell student discount or possibly business discount...

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm in the same boat as you guys and I found this, which is IPS and probably has a lot better color.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236205

The only flaw i can see with my untrained eyes is that it's 14ms but considering i'm far from a 1337 gam3r with my wireless mouse and vintage IBM keyboard and wireless internet, i'm thinking that the better color will make up for it.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
Look at the OP, the ASUS VG236H...is there one exactly like that but without the 3D crap?

Also my second question something like the ASUS VG236H but has composite (Red, Yellow, White) connections?

Thanks.

EDIT: also is there a similar model to the VG236H with speakers and a headphone jack?

EDIT2: This monitor will be used for console gaming only. Maybe PC gaming in the future, but for right now just console gaming.

I don't care about the price tag, of course gaming at 1920x1080. Would like the best possible one out there. Maybe under 500 dollars.

Also what's this about not getting 120hz on an HDMI cable?

Yinzer fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 2, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Are you sure you mean all composite connectors? Because the red and white leads are for stereo audio only. Only the yellow cable carries the (horrible quality) video.

Maybe you meant component?

If you did mean composite, that's fair enough. My old Dell 2007wfp has composite as well as s-video (and vga, dvi). My U2410 has s-video, component, hdmi, dvi, displayport. There aren't a lot of monitors out there that give you a ton of inputs other than certain high end Dells, from what I've seen. I'm pretty sure all Dells are compatible with the soundbar, too. I have an ancient soundbar which still fits onto my U2410 and gets powered by it.

To get from the red and white phono jacks, you'd need a 2x phono to 3.5mm adapter, then a 3.5mm female to female barrel adapter. Then you'd be able to plug speakers into it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 2, 2011

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Alexander Nevermind posted:

Look at the OP, the ASUS VG236H...is there one exactly like that but without the 3D crap?

Also my second question something like the ASUS VG236H but has composite (Red, Yellow, White) connections?

Thanks.

EDIT: also is there a similar model to the VG236H with speakers and a headphone jack?

EDIT2: This monitor will be used for console gaming only. Maybe PC gaming in the future, but for right now just console gaming.

I don't care about the price tag, of course gaming at 1920x1080. Would like the best possible one out there. Maybe under 500 dollars.

Also what's this about not getting 120hz on an HDMI cable?

VG236HE

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Aitro posted:

I'm looking for a gaming monitor in the $100-200 price range. I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009266

I like the Asus VH238 but I don't want any loving speakers in my monitor. Are there any other decent monitors around without speakers? Or is the Acer there my best option? I can get a dell student discount or possibly business discount...

I just got my brother that monitor and he said that it's great. Just don't plug in the speakers.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I wish they made 4:3 30" inchers... 2560x1920 seems good for me. :smith:

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

HalloKitty posted:

Are you sure you mean all composite connectors? Because the red and white leads are for stereo audio only. Only the yellow cable carries the (horrible quality) video.

Maybe you meant component?

If you did mean composite, that's fair enough. My old Dell 2007wfp has composite as well as s-video (and vga, dvi). My U2410 has s-video, component, hdmi, dvi, displayport. There aren't a lot of monitors out there that give you a ton of inputs other than certain high end Dells, from what I've seen. I'm pretty sure all Dells are compatible with the soundbar, too. I have an ancient soundbar which still fits onto my U2410 and gets powered by it.

To get from the red and white phono jacks, you'd need a 2x phono to 3.5mm adapter, then a 3.5mm female to female barrel adapter. Then you'd be able to plug speakers into it.
Yes I meant composite. Basically I'm getting rid of my huge SDTV, that I played old games on, and moving it over to just a monitor that can do the composite connections.

But it's really no big deal, I'm looking for the best gaming monitor under ~500 dollars.

I would like it to have built in speakers too.

Animal posted:

VG236HE
Thank you for this. How would I be able to connect the Xbox 360 to that monitor by HDMI cable and still get sound on it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but I recently just landed a job as a junior developer for a company where I can work from home.

After I get my first few paychecks and set aside some cash, I'm looking to expand my home "office". I want a bigger desk and more / replacement monitors. I've got a GTX 580 and a 22" + 17" plugged into it. Ultimately, I want 3x 24" monitors.

How do I go about getting a third display? For general multi-GPU use they don't have to be the same card, right? I've never really looked into the matter before.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Yes I meant composite. Basically I'm getting rid of my huge SDTV, that I played old games on, and moving it over to just a monitor that can do the composite connections.
Sadly, there aren't any 24" or larger 120Hz displays under $500 that I know of which also have a composite connector. It's just such old tech, really. It's also not cheap to convert from it into DVI/HDMI/anything else. What systems were you using, anyhow?

Thank you for this. How would I be able to connect the Xbox 360 to that monitor by HDMI cable and still get sound on it?
Thanks to Microsoft having the design capabilities of a mildly retarded monkey, your cheapest option is probably taking the A/V brick that came with the Xbox and cracking it open so you can fit both it and a HDMI cord at the same time, as seen here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Xbox360-HDMI-RCA-audio/step3/Plug-It-In/ There are also actual adapters to allow for that: http://www.amazon.com/Hdmi-Cable-Adapter-Xbox-360/dp/B001S5CCF2 You could also try a 90 degree adapter and hope it's small enough to fit.

Sab669 posted:

Ultimately, I want 3x 24" monitors.

How do I go about getting a third display? For general multi-GPU use they don't have to be the same card, right? I've never really looked into the matter before.
It depends on how you want to use the monitors. Any way you cut it, you're going to need another video card. Radeon EyeFinity cards can natively push more than 2 monitors at once (as long as all the ones after 2 use some form of DisplayPort), while NVidia's are all limited to 2 displays per card. If you're just looking to use it for office work or whatever, you're pretty safe just going on NewEgg and buying the cheapest NVidia card you can find that supports the output(s) you want. If you're going to be running the monitors and cards independently, it does NOT need to be the same type of card, or even similar. Hell, technically you could get the cheapest ATI card, too (assuming you have Win7) and slap it in there, but I've never been comfortable mixing brands. If you want to use all three monitors together for gaming with a SLI configuration, then yes, you'd want another 580.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 3, 2011

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

DrDork posted:

It depends on how you want to use the monitors. Any way you cut it, you're going to need another video card. Radeon EyeFinity cards can natively push more than 2 monitors at once (as long as all the ones after 2 use some form of DisplayPort), while NVidia's are all limited to 2 displays per card. If you're just looking to use it for office work or whatever, you're pretty safe just going on NewEgg and buying the cheapest NVidia card you can find that supports the output(s) you want. If you're going to be running the monitors and cards independently, it does NOT need to be the same type of card, or even similar. Hell, technically you could get the cheapest ATI card, too (assuming you have Win7) and slap it in there, but I've never been comfortable mixing brands. If you want to use all three monitors together for gaming with a SLI configuration, then yes, you'd want another 580.

If you have a z68 or h67 motherboard you can plug up to two of your monitors into the on-chip graphics, too.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Magic Underwear posted:

If you have a z68 or h67 motherboard you can plug up to two of your monitors into the on-chip graphics, too.
This is true, and something I totally forgot about because pretty much all the people I know bought some sort of P67 setup, instead. In any event, the onboard graphics is poor enough that you won't really be gaming with it, but it'll certainly run a desktop and videos and whatnot for you with no problems.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

DrDork posted:

Radeon EyeFinity cards can natively push more than 2 monitors at once (as long as all the ones after 2 use some form of DisplayPort),

I've been looking into this and it seems like there are some issues running a 3rd monitor off of the display port if you run the first two off of HDMI/DVI, resulting in screen tearing (check youtube for examples). If you want to run 3 HDMI/DVI check out Sapphires cards that offer "FleX" which essentially puts 3 usable HDMI/DVI ports on one card instead of two, allowing you to skip the screen tearing that might happen with display port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fatal posted:

I've been looking into this and it seems like there are some issues running a 3rd monitor off of the display port if you run the first two off of HDMI/DVI, resulting in screen tearing (check youtube for examples).
Having an EyeFinity card, I can tell you that it does exist, but it only exists because whoever is in charge of ATI's drivers division is a poo poo-head who can't figure out basic stuff or incorporate fixes the community has been discussing for months. The screen-tearing you're talking about only happens when the card is in its power-saving 2D mode, when it down-clocks itself to absurdly low speeds (because hey, a 6990 just doesn't need to work that hard to push a desktop). Unfortunately, said downclock is simply too low to provide for the correct operation of a three-monitor setup. The fix for that is simply creating a power profile and editing the resulting text file so that instead of downclocking to 157Mhz, it bottoms out at 200Mhz or whatever turns out to work for you. For me and my 5850, a memory clock of 900Mhz and core of 200Mhz works well to prevent tearing.

The tearing is absent whenever it's clocked up and running, like during games and such.