Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

...! posted:

I know, hence my question of "Am I missing something?" My STR/DEX/INT/FAI are 24/22/24/20. On the same enemy, the sword will do maybe 40 damage while the spear does 150 - 160. This is where my confusion lies.

At minimum stats the double-dipping for armor reduction becomes woefully apparent. You will be having fun against Dark Servants though (like the Darkwraiths).

It combines pretty good with the Crystal Ring Shield too, I had it deal more damage than my Lightning Zweihander +5 that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Okay, I'm a level 28 pyro. My stats are:

18 vit, 14 attune, 18 end, 16 str, 12 dex, 12 resist, 11 int, 10 faith.

Where should I be putting points now?

You could really go any way you want, other than perhaps resistance. Dex or str if you want to wield a higher requirement weapon. Attunement if you want more pyro spell slots. Endurance if you want to be better in melee. Int or faith if you want some miracles/spells. Vitality if you're getting one-shot by anything. Any one of these options are fine. I suppose I would recommend either endurance or attunement, depending on whether you want to lean more towards pyromancy or more towards melee.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

SgtSteel91 posted:

Isn't it the Centipede Demon? That is where you get the ring from right?

You get the ring from the Centipede Demon because the guy dropped it into the lava, and it became a demon. Given how ambiguous this game is, it's also possible that 'witch sisters' are not necessarily literal sisters, but rather sisters through fire and chaos.

In any case, it's possible that the Ceaseless Discharge is the Witch of Izalith's son. It's also theorized that the Discharge is what's left of the Witch herself. Either explanation holds some weight, since the Discharge only reacts to you when you pick up the Gold Hemmed set that belonged to the Witch.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Vargs posted:

You could really go any way you want, other than perhaps resistance. Dex or str if you want to wield a higher requirement weapon. Attunement if you want more pyro spell slots. Endurance if you want to be better in melee. Int or faith if you want some miracles/spells. Vitality if you're getting one-shot by anything. Any one of these options are fine. I suppose I would recommend either endurance or attunement, depending on whether you want to lean more towards pyromancy or more towards melee.

Endurance. Be a Knightomancer :hist101:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'd say vitality because 20% more health from that ring makes you a beast.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
So all the stuff one might avoid doing to mess with a playthrough - killing NPCs, Gwyndolin/Gwynevere, killing Firekeepers for their souls - is there any reason not to do all that right before beating the final boss? All that kind of stuff is reset in NG+, right?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Graviija posted:

So all the stuff one might avoid doing to mess with a playthrough - killing NPCs, Gwyndolin/Gwynevere, killing Firekeepers for their souls - is there any reason not to do all that right before beating the final boss? All that kind of stuff is reset in NG+, right?

Go right ahead. It will all reset for NG+.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What determines the souls given on Forest Hunter invasions? I always seem to get pathetic amounts in the range of 400-3000.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

So I beat the Four Kings SL1, threw a bunch of humanity at Kaaeth for the Orb, and have spent the past few hours invading the Burg in full Dark Armor/Hand. Being SL1 means I have the maximum possible invasion window so invading never fails.

Hey its fair, right!? I am a lower level then them after all. :mmmsmug:

Actually I just mostly joke around by casting Iron Flesh and spamming Fire Storm (It has never hit anyone even by chance).

Anyone have any suggestions on loving around with new players in a funny way?

Edit: Invading still fails for network reasons not for lack of players that is.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 28, 2011

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elysiume posted:

What determines the souls given on Forest Hunter invasions? I always seem to get pathetic amounts in the range of 400-3000.

The amount of souls your victim has accumulated before death.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
I just completed the game on this character and now I only have a few more achievements to go. Crystal, Magic and Chaos weapons, Knights honor and the miracle achievement... cool.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Penny_Dreadful posted:

So I beat the Four Kings SL1, threw a bunch of humanity at Kaaeth for the Orb, and have spent the past few hours invading the Burg in full Dark Armor/Hand. Being SL1 means I have the maximum possible invasion window so invading never fails.

Actually I just mostly joke around by casting Iron Flesh and spamming Fire Storm (It has never hit anyone even by chance).

Get a stack of poisoned throwing knives and throw them until they get poisoned. Then just chase them around, punching them barehanded.

The last person I invaded I actually shot from a distance, and I don't think they noticed I poisoned them (bow, not knives). I then closed the distance and we engaged in honorable combat. Then another, invisible phantom showed up and confused us both. I rolled by reflex into a sword and got one-shotted.

Pickled Kittens posted:

The amount of souls your victim has accumulated before death.
They're in one of the best farming spots in the game; why do they keep letting me down? :argh:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Run around with catalysts, but no sorceries, so you wind up doing that one animation.

Elysiume posted:

Get a stack of poisoned throwing knives and throw them until they get poisoned. Then just chase them around, punching them barehanded.
They're in one of the best farming spots in the game; why do they keep letting me down? :argh:

That, but chase them around, hitting them with your catalyst.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I tried that, using Poison Mist, Poison is a pretty worthless grief even at low levels, because it tick so slowly that its no threat if you have any Eustus Flasks at all. Although Acid Surge and Toxic Mist might be funny.

Or full Dragon transformed, wanna try that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Penny_Dreadful posted:

I tried that, using Poison Mist, Poison is a pretty worthless grief even at low levels, because it tick so slowly that its no threat if you have any Eustus Flasks at all. Although Acid Surge and Toxic Mist might be funny.

Pyro hand in the right, Dark Hand in the left. Punch them with glowy hands.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Toxic mist takes loving years to kill anybody even when Burg griefing, but it does work eventually. Can't say I've had much luck with acid surge though. I've hit people with it a few times, but I can't tell if it did any significant damage to their equipment. Not a whole lot of feedback on that spell.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Chameleon. It's the best loving spell in the game. My first invasion, I ran past someone as a pot and they somehow DIDN'T NOTICE. For extra fun: cast Hide Self/put on a ring of fog, hit them with Acid Surge until their equipment breaks, then run off somewhere relatively hidden and cast chameleon.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Miijhal posted:

Chameleon. It's the best loving spell in the game. My first invasion, I ran past someone as a pot and they somehow DIDN'T NOTICE.
I haven't used that spell, how do you decide what to turn into?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I just realized what the enemies in Blighttown are.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't used that spell, how do you decide what to turn into?

It changes you into an object found in the environment you're in. For example, in Darkroot Forest, you become a shrub, while in Anor Londo you become a statue.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I just killed someone and got 595,000 souls. Eat poo poo, cheater. I don't even know what to do with this crap. Maybe get some large titanite and jump off a cliff. This is cheat-money.

edit: I'm going to buy 25 large titanite and then kill myself to dispose of the rest. I get a reward for my forest defense (and about 10k of that was actually mine), and the other ~500k gets wasted.

edit: Unless anyone can explain someone being in the forest with 600k souls? If this is legitimate, I'll keep it. If not, it goes.

edit: Apparently the person had 400 souls when I killed them. What :psyduck:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 28, 2011

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
Is there a cap on health? i put points in to Vit but it seems like the health bar dosen't move?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Alright, for NG++ I'm going to play as Biorr--Greatsword in the right hand, crossbow in the left. Should I go with the Giant's Armor or the Steel Armor? They both look sort of like the Brushwood set.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The health bars growth is subtle. A hundred point gain might be less than an inch on the bar. And then you see in some people's videos that the bar can be huge.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Alright, for NG++ I'm going to play as Biorr--Greatsword in the right hand, crossbow in the left. Should I go with the Giant's Armor or the Steel Armor? They both look sort of like the Brushwood set.

Havel's is the Brushwood equivalent I'd say.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Elysiume posted:

I just killed someone and got 595,000 souls. Eat poo poo, cheater. I don't even know what to do with this crap. Maybe get some large titanite and jump off a cliff. This is cheat-money.

edit: I'm going to buy 25 large titanite and then kill myself to dispose of the rest. I get a reward for my forest defense (and about 10k of that was actually mine), and the other ~500k gets wasted.

edit: Unless anyone can explain someone being in the forest with 600k souls? If this is legitimate, I'll keep it. If not, it goes.

You, sir(?), are a far better man(?) than I.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I was struck by how similar Steel is to Brushwood, and yet not. It's like fluted Brushwood, it's really cool. And it upgrades with normal titanite so you should +9 that poo poo and rock it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

gravyflood posted:

You, sir(?), are a far better man(?) than I.
I actually think they legitimately only had 400 souls. They didn't know the specifics of the Forest Hunters (or how to get in), and didn't recognize my Quelaag's Furyblade. So I guess the game just decided to give me a bonus bounty of 595,000 souls? Is this a thing that happens, or a weird, random glitch?

Also I am a sir and man.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It is seriously bumming me how much of the poo poo I'm collecting now needs Twinkling Titanite. Especially since I accidentally wasted half of my supply on a piece of what I thought was mundane equipment before I double checked the resource window.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Elysiume posted:

:zombie: "Must... keep... grinding... for... souls..." :zombie:
except that he's kept grinding for no purpose anymore. It's just become a part of him, and you caught him with 600k. Now he's reset and begun doing it again. :zombie:

That's what I wish it was anyways. I don't know why people who cheat the million souls or whatever don't just level up to the maximum and max out VIT and everything.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Elysiume posted:

You gain a portion of souls that's related to their total soul level in addition to a portion of souls they are holding on hand iirc.

I used to invade Anor Londo all the time and I could get upwards of 1.8 million souls from invading jerks. So if you kill someone and they drop a metric ton of souls, you likely just killed a high level player.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I think every four or so points you get another full segment on your health bar. That plus the Favor Ring and any other rings like the Tiny Beings ring would give you quite a lot.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lotish posted:

It is seriously bumming me how much of the poo poo I'm collecting now needs Twinkling Titanite. Especially since I accidentally wasted half of my supply on a piece of what I thought was mundane equipment before I double checked the resource window.

Crow glitch is the way to go. gently caress farming clams for hundreds of hours.

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

Revitalized posted:

:zombie: "Must... keep... grinding... for... souls..." :zombie:
except that he's kept grinding for no purpose anymore. It's just become a part of him, and you caught him with 600k. Now he's reset and begun doing it again. :zombie:

That's what I wish it was anyways. I don't know why people who cheat the million souls or whatever don't just level up to the maximum and max out VIT and everything.

The people who are cheating can max their stats without even touching their SL. Being ambushed by a guy who has several billion HP is no fun to fight at all..

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Can someone explain weapon upgrades to me? I have a bunch of different base weapons but I'm still using the drake sword right now (at the point near the gaping dragon).

How do I upgrade weapons? People were saying the claymore is a good weapon to upgrade?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FZeroRacer posted:

You gain a portion of souls that's related to their total soul level in addition to a portion of souls they are holding on hand iirc.

I used to invade Anor Londo all the time and I could get upwards of 1.8 million souls from invading jerks. So if you kill someone and they drop a metric ton of souls, you likely just killed a high level player.
No, like I said, they didn't know about the Forest Hunters, and didn't recognize Quelaag's Furyblade. Unless they were wasting their time fooling me (and doing a very convincing job of it), they really didn't cheat and weren't that far into the game. I really can't decide what to do with these souls.

vv: I killed them too quickly and they didn't do enough damage to be high (unless they spent all of their souls on intelligence and kept hitting me with a sword). I guess I'll spent them because they're semi almost legitimate. But only on peripherals.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 28, 2011

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

No, like I said, they didn't know about the Forest Hunters, and didn't recognize Quelaag's Furyblade. Unless they were wasting their time fooling me (and doing a very convincing job of it), they really didn't cheat and weren't that far into the game. I really can't decide what to do with these souls.

Soul level does not equal progress in the game.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Elysiume posted:

Just use them. The game just gave you a bonus so take it.

Anyone had luck getting summoned for Quelaag at 21?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sleazoid posted:

The people who are cheating can max their stats without even touching their SL. Being ambushed by a guy who has several billion HP is no fun to fight at all..

Are you talking about some hex fuckery on the Xbox? Soul duping is certainly an exploit, but its not on the same level as modding game files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Man, getting the Avelyn crossbow is kind of ridiculous. It's in the Duke's Archives, and you have to fall off one of the rotating stairways in mid-spin at just the right time to land on top of a bookcase. If you're just a bit too early or late you fall too far and die. Then when I did land in the right spot, I opened the chest, and immediately got shot in the back by 2 archers for fatal damage. So I had to go do it again to actually loot the item from the still open chest before getting shot to death again.

doomfunk posted:

I was struck by how similar Steel is to Brushwood, and yet not. It's like fluted Brushwood, it's really cool. And it upgrades with normal titanite so you should +9 that poo poo and rock it.

Alright, I guess I'll go with Steel then. Also a contributing factor: I just hosed up the crow trade-in glitch with my blooming purple moss as soon as I started NG++, so I'd have to use one of the other mosses that take twice as long to get the Twinkling for the Giant's Armor.

• Locked thread