Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The Painted World is amazing. Really gorgeous. Terrifying crow-ladies I could do without.

Going to Painted World as my first new area after Tomb of the Giants on another character has such a massive contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Zebrasectomy posted:

One question though: Right now I have an electric shotel in my left hand, and I heard it's attack can get around shields. Can anyone confirm this? I haven't had any luck finding someone to invade yet.

It's attack does bypass shields, I don't know if it completely ignores shields or deals reduced damage, but it certainly does do at least a portion of it's damage through shields.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Elysiume posted:

The Painted World is amazing. Really gorgeous. Terrifying crow-ladies I could do without.

Going to Painted World as my first new area after Tomb of the Giants on another character has such a massive contrast.

There's only one you have to fight to get the shortcut open, and once you open teh shortcut you dont' have to fight them unless you are searching for treasure.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

lohli posted:

It's attack does bypass shields, I don't know if it completely ignores shields or deals reduced damage, but it certainly does do at least a portion of it's damage through shields.

I used a +4 lightning shotel for the majority of my last play through. As far as I can tell the strong attack completely ignores shields.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
I just realized something. At no point did I run into the Pygmy that was mentioned in the trailers. Did I miss something important?

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

ColdCock posted:

I used a +4 lightning shotel for the majority of my last play through. As far as I can tell the strong attack completely ignores shields.

I'll have to check and see if it does the strong or weak attack when left handed later.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zebrasectomy posted:

I just realized something. At no point did I run into the Pygmy that was mentioned in the trailers. Did I miss something important?
Did you speak with Kaathe?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Holy poo poo, Gwyn.

I know you can parry his attacks, but gently caress is the timing hard. This is a very appropriately-difficult final boss. Way harder than the final boss of Demon's Souls. The real final boss of 1-4 I mean, not the little wimpy one.

Totally disagree, Gwyn didn't have an attack that steals your SL and could chain it. I can't even begin to describe how pissed I was when King Allant stole something like 10 SL from me in a single attempt, I just turned the game off and haven't played it since.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zebrasectomy posted:

You're the pygmy's child

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

axleblaze posted:

So I have kind of an odd question. About two weeks ago I was in the swamps of blight town and saw a little glowing enemy in the corner. When I got close it shot a bunch of light projectiles at me and killed me instantly. I have never seen that enemy again. I had a friend over who has beaten the game and he said he's never even heard of such a thing. So, does anyone know what I saw?
That was a vagrant - an enemy that appears in areas when people leave items on the ground. They drop humanity, and do a fuckload of damage if they can catch you unawares. That same one in blighttown swamp surprised the hell out of me the other day, but they can show up in any area, although they tend to only appear in a couple locations within that area - for instance in Parish, they tend to show up at the Altar with the firekeeper's soul, or just outside, next to the crossbowman near the blacksmith path.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Gonna have to join the Anor Londo hate club. The stretch with the two tower knights, then all the batwing demons before the sniper run... Each of this part I could patiently deal with by itself, but having to redo each part of this bullshit run every time. Goddamn.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Jan posted:

Gonna have to join the Anor Londo hate club. The stretch with the two tower knights, then all the batwing demons before the sniper run... Each of this part I could patiently deal with by itself, but having to redo each part of this bullshit run every time. Goddamn.

Just run by them all. The narrow walkway just after the last set of batwing demons right before the snipers prevent anything from chasing or attacking you.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm going to agree with whoever said that everyone seems to kind of go through the game overleveled, which may be why invasions/phantoming seems sparse. I killed Bed of Chaos last night and remembered that I had forgotten to get the new version of the Monk's Turban from the Painted World, and had even forgotten to just clear out the boss there. When I got there, I was SL58 and there were like, 4 summon signs waiting at the bonfire. That's ridiculously overleveled for that area!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jan posted:

The tower knights you can pull one at a time. Stay on the far left or right, and inch up until they aggro you. If you have a weapon with a very flat attack (e.g., the strong attack on the iaito) you can hit them in the feet when they invariably go up the stairs.

For the first set of three gargoyles, shoot the one farthest back with a bow before you go up the stairs to the tower knights. It will turn around and chase you, falling to its death. The other ones you need to fight.

For the next two gargoyles, run down until you aggro them, then run to the top of the ramp. Do not stay on it; you'll get shot. There should be one running into the ramp, and the other one running into that guy's butt. Pelt the first one with arrows and the second one will hopefully fall. If he doesn't, pelt him again.

The knights have two strategies I've used.
1: Run fast. Sprint up to the pillar, rest and get stamina. Hook left around it, sprint the rest of the way, and then sprint over to the knight on the right. Shield up (hope you have good stability) and get in his face until he falls. Ideally use the Cloranthy Ring or something.
2: Poison. Kind of hard to hit them with arrows, but doable. It took me 1-2 arrows to poison them, and then it was just a matter of patience. Once they were dead, I got to walk up at my leisure.

edit: Wow, the loving crows have a 1-shotting grab attack.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 28, 2011

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Did you speak with Kaathe?

No, completely missed him and as well as joining the Darkwraiths. I hear I have Not talk to Frampt after getting the Lord Vessel or something. Not sure what I do next. I'll probably check the wiki later.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

What would be a good build to try on my other character (Deprived starting class, master key gift, put enough into str/dex so far to use drake sword, rest in vit/end)? My current character has been a fast melee only character using small shields, with the only magic use being a heal miracle. My bow has only been used to pull enemies or shoot poo poo I was scared of (like the first time I found the bonfire in demon ruins). If you give me an idea, please let me know what stat points I would need to pump (and if there's a specific level to get them to, let me know)!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zebrasectomy posted:

No, completely missed him and as well as joining the Darkwraiths. I hear I have Not talk to Frampt after getting the Lord Vessel or something. Not sure what I do next. I'll probably check the wiki later.
If you want to buddy up with Kaathe, you need to go into New Londo after getting the Lordvessel and beat the Four Kings. Once you beat them, Kaathe will appear, and he'll give the other side of the story. You will also be able to join the Darkwraiths. Frampt will voice his disapproval and disappear; Kaathe will be able to take you into the Lordvessel chamber.

edit: The loving crow grab has unlimited range or something? This is loving poo poo.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Oh, ha ha! I thought that the first black knight you encounter in the game always drops a Black Knight Sword. Turns out I just got really, really lucky in my first playthrough.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Elysiume posted:

If you want to buddy up with Kaathe, you need to go into New Londo after getting the Lordvessel and beat the Four Kings. Once you beat them, Kaathe will appear, and he'll give the other side of the story. You will also be able to join the Darkwraiths. Frampt will voice his disapproval and disappear; Kaathe will be able to take you into the Lordvessel chamber.

edit: The loving crow grab has unlimited range or something? This is loving poo poo.

I think you can avoid the grab by running towards the crow when it flies up, it will go over your head. I didn't even know it was a grab for a while until I fought a large group of them.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

Elysiume posted:

For the first set of three gargoyles, shoot the one farthest back with a bow before you go up the stairs to the tower knights. It will turn around and chase you, falling to its death. The other ones you need to fight.

You can shoot the foremost white gargoyle on the right with an arrow while on the steps, and he'll just walk off to his death.

Something weird I've noticed. In the cheese/farming area behind the crest door in Darkroot Garden, on my copy of the game, on every single playthrough, the knight doesn't respawn after you kill him once. I was watching my friend play, and he is always there. Anyone else experience this?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ColdCock posted:

You can shoot the foremost white gargoyle on the right with an arrow while on the steps, and he'll just walk off to his death.

Something weird I've noticed. In the cheese/farming area behind the crest door in Darkroot Garden, on my copy of the game, on every single playthrough, the knight doesn't respawn after you kill him once. I was watching my friend play, and he is always there. Anyone else experience this?

I never fought that knight. For me it's a loop around the felled tree, watch the cleric and the thief leap top their deaths, go burn the retarded mage to death while he endlessly blasts away at the cliff, and repeat. I leave the bandit alone.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ColdCock posted:

He never respawns for me. He's like Pharis, but lame.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think you can avoid the grab by running towards the crow when it flies up, it will go over your head. I didn't even know it was a grab for a while until I fought a large group of them.
I opted for running to the side. It's mostly annoying because my tried and true strategy of "back up" didn't cut it.

The Bloodshield looks amazing. And it only takes normal titanite! I have no idea why it only takes normal titanite, but I'm not complaining. I'm using it just because of how good it looks.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Elysiume posted:

It has a minimum range. When you see them squat, close the distance, they will leap over your head.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

evilalien posted:

Just run by them all. The narrow walkway just after the last set of batwing demons right before the snipers prevent anything from chasing or attacking you.

Yeah, that's what I usually try now, but I still haven't gotten the timing right for stopping & recovering stamina (using Mask of the Child). And I've gotten stabbed in the back so many times by the demon just as I stepped on the walkway.

Elysiume posted:

:words:

What you describe is just about what I was doing my first few runs. Patiently dealing with each knight, demon, etc. on the way to the snipers. But after experimenting (and failing) with ways to deal with those two, I've been trying to speed up the process by just running past everyone, as mentioned. Problem is I'm bad at running past and would probably be better off by being careful again. :saddowns:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Elysiume posted:

The Bloodshield looks amazing. And it only takes normal titanite! I have no idea why it only takes normal titanite, but I'm not complaining. I'm using it just because of how good it looks.

I did the same thing, for a while! It's not a bad shield but its stability is sorely limited. At +13 mine is outclassed by a +3 silver knight shield. The upside is its "protections" amount to increased resistances to all status effects, which is honestly quite nice.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What is the "main courtyard"? I want to fight King Jeremiah. Is it the one with the nasty spear-blobs?

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006
Guy who did a 290 part playthrough on youtube has posted a video of all the times he died (30 minutes long!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCr6P0i_h2Y

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way
Randomly, an orange light will burst near my head and make a noise as if I gained something. What does it mean?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Scrooged posted:

Randomly, an orange light will burst near my head and make a noise as if I gained something. What does it mean?
Someone kindled the last bonfire you sat at and you got an additional Estus flask.

Scrooged
Feb 19, 2004

Truth, Juthtithe,
and the American Way

Elysiume posted:

Someone kindled the last bonfire you sat at and you got an additional Estus flask.

Huh. Cool. Thanks.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Elysiume posted:

What is the "main courtyard"? I want to fight King Jeremiah. Is it the one with the nasty spear-blobs?

The area with the spear blobs, to the right, over the cliff, where there are all those guys on stakes. That's where he'll come for you.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Elysiume posted:

He will pop up in the graveyard a little off to the side of the courtyard with all of the phalanx enemies in it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

doomfunk posted:

The area with the spear blobs, to the right, over the cliff, where there are all those guys on stakes. That's where he'll come for you.
That is the stupidest looking helm I've ever seen. God drat.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

LorentzViolator posted:

Guy who did a 290 part playthrough on youtube has posted a video of all the times he died (30 minutes long!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCr6P0i_h2Y

He's pretty dedicated especially since it doesn't look like he's got a capture card.

I hope that patch comes soon as I want to play this game again. :(

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jan posted:

Yeah, that's what I usually try now, but I still haven't gotten the timing right for stopping & recovering stamina (using Mask of the Child). And I've gotten stabbed in the back so many times by the demon just as I stepped on the walkway.

What you describe is just about what I was doing my first few runs. Patiently dealing with each knight, demon, etc. on the way to the snipers. But after experimenting (and failing) with ways to deal with those two, I've been trying to speed up the process by just running past everyone, as mentioned. Problem is I'm bad at running past and would probably be better off by being careful again. :saddowns:

This was the worst part of the game for me, by far. I must have made this run 30 times.

I did this with a 49% weight burden (mostly havel's armor) and crest shield for stamina.

Rest at the top of the stairs before you see the knights, run by the one on the right, on his right side, I go up that little platform. He has two animations. If he's doing an overhead you're fine, if he pulls back sideways you have to jump at the right time to avoid the swing. Rest once you're through the grate.

Going down the stairs, you don't want to keep to the left side because otherwise the gargoyle will do a leap slash. Keep the middle and when you hit the bottom of the stairs, jumproll to the walkway to avoid the spear he swings at you. You might still get hit, if so, just spam roll till you're on the walkway. Keep running. Bear left, directly in front of the guy there and don't stop till you're at the pillar. Sometimes you get slammed in the back by lightning.

Before you peek around the edge, heal. Walk around the edge and up the buttress, when you're at the top, spam roll to the right so he fires over you until you're base to base with the skeleton. Block until he pulls out his sword, then turn around and walk partway down the buttress. He'll try to follow and fall off the edge. Keep moving forward and back up and down the buttress so you don't get hit by the other skeleton.

Bonfire is first door on the left. Victory!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 28, 2011

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Gaping Dragon chat. I thought the boss was stupidly easy (so easy that I was actually disappointed), and a lot of people say the same thing. However, a few people say the boss battle is stupidly hard.

On my playthrough I noticed that, whenever he did his "slam head into ground and rush forward" attack, he would rush in a straight line. I could just step to the side and attack his butt—easy as pie.

But I was watching the 30-minute death video above and noticed that his gaping dragon turned to face the player as he rushed forwards. That makes a lot more sense, and it definitely didn't happen at all in my playthrough. That would also explain why some people say the battle is hard while others say it's easy.

Is this a big AI glitch? Or am I missing something?

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 28, 2011

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

That has me thinking the "magic rotation" some enemies do may possibly be unintentional, especially with big enemies like the giant guards where you'll see them just turn on a dime on one foot. The Gaping Dragon never turned to face me in that manner.

It could be a difference in footwork though - vs the Dragon when I was waiting for that attack's cue I stood perfectly still until it started moving, then rolled past.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't even know that part was A Thing. First time there I just killed everything, walked up the buttress, killed the sniper, went inside, completely missed the bonfire, killed all the silver knights in the joint, saved Sieg, found the blacksmith, unlocked the gate, and wondered why there wasn't a bonfire in the whole castle.

Noticed people talking about that bonfire in this thread, though, so I consulted the guide and sure enough!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

Gaping Dragon chat. I thought the boss was stupidly easy, and a lot of people say the same thing. However, a few people say the boss battle is stupidly hard.

On my playthrough I noticed that, whenever he did his "slam head into ground and rush forward" attack, he would rush in a straight line. I could just step to the side and attack his butt—easy as pie.

But I was watching the 30-minute death video above and noticed that his gaping dragon turned to face the player as he rushed forwards. That makes a lot more sense, and it definitely didn't happen at all in my playthrough. That would also explain why some people say the battle is hard while others say it's easy.

Is this a big AI glitch? Or am I missing something?

People seem to randomly lose a few braincells when fighting the Gaping Dragon. In 14 summons I only got a kill on him maybe 5 times. Most of the actual boss deaths were people standing too close when he was charging, or thinking it's a good idea to attack the front when the gaping maw of horror is hanging above.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Akuma posted:

I didn't even know that part was A Thing. I just killed everything, walked up the buttress, killed the sniper, went inside, completely missed the bonfire, killed all the silver knights in the joint, saved Sieg, found the blacksmith, unlocked the gate, and wondered why there wasn't a bonfire in the whole castle.

Noticed people talking about that bonfire in this thread, though, so I consulted the guide and sure enough!

You must have gotten super lucky. They fire huge arrows that generally boot you off the walkway unless you do things exactly correct. Mostly it's the "killing the sniper" part that everyone dies to. He's too far away to lock on, and you can't aim a bow because the fire rate of the archers is too high. At the time, I didn't have a lot of pyromancy so I wasn't able to kill the archer before I got arrowed off the little ledge. If you have burst damage, the section isn't horrible. If all you have is the lightning spear, it sucks.

Then, you have a full 5 minute run back.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 28, 2011

• Locked thread