Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

FretforyourLatte posted:

doctors :argh:

Oh my god, doctors can be so stupid and have the worst bedside manners. I wish I could convince my husband that doctors don't know everything, but every time I mention that I want a medical advocate during labor and delivery we start fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Dr. Octagon posted:

I was still pregnant at my 41 week appointment this past Monday, where they swept my membranes (OUCH) and scheduled a non-stress test and an amniotic fluid index for the following day, with an induction to follow by 42 weeks if the results of those tests were "non-reassuring." I would've been less than thrilled, but okay with an induction at that point.

BUT, I ended up going into labor that afternoon and delivered Baby Octagon Tuesday at 1:39 PM. He is totally awesome and we're both doing pretty great! Breastfeeding is going so well, which I was anxious about, and I can't believe how physically normal I feel already. Although... I never realized how comically large my boobs would get once my milk came in - I feel like one of those prehistoric fertility statues. I already have 16+ oz. of milk in the freezer just from leakage.

Baby's first non-goopy picture:

Congratulations Dr. Octagon! He's adorable!

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Dr. Octagon posted:

I was still pregnant at my 41 week appointment this past Monday, where they swept my membranes (OUCH) and scheduled a non-stress test and an amniotic fluid index for the following day, with an induction to follow by 42 weeks if the results of those tests were "non-reassuring." I would've been less than thrilled, but okay with an induction at that point.

BUT, I ended up going into labor that afternoon and delivered Baby Octagon Tuesday at 1:39 PM. He is totally awesome and we're both doing pretty great! Breastfeeding is going so well, which I was anxious about, and I can't believe how physically normal I feel already. Although... I never realized how comically large my boobs would get once my milk came in - I feel like one of those prehistoric fertility statues. I already have 16+ oz. of milk in the freezer just from leakage.

Baby's first non-goopy picture:

Congrats! He's pretty darn adorable.

I think we're about to have a whole crop of fall goon babies all up in this thread pretty soon, and I can't wait to see more pictures. I'm officially 4 weeks away from my due date, though I'm thinking 11/11/11 would be pretty cool if things work out that way. I can never remember my husband's birthday or our anniversary, so it would be nice to have ONE date that I can always remember off the top of my head.

edit: Just wanted to edit and say that I'm being self-indulgent and lazy as gently caress. I have no idea how you other ladies are working AND dealing with being pregnant. My best friend is 28 weeks and working 2 jobs, and I can't figure out where she gets the energy. I get worn out (and cranky) after about an hour of doing anything "in public" and I can't get back to my house quick enough for a nice cup of tea and an hour or two dicking around on the internet in peace and quiet. Babies R Us in particular stresses me out and makes me want to stab people, and then go home to have a root beer float.

MoCookies fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 24, 2011

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

My sister in law worked a 16 hour waitressing shift on her due date last year :psyduck:. Her kid was born a couple of days later. As for me, I'm 35 weeks now and part-time at the preschool I work at and I can't imagine standing for an HOUR straight, never mind pulling a 16 hour shift. It's prime snotty, coughing, sick children time and my boss was nice enough to let me know to just take days off if I start to get sick and to go ahead and sit down whenever I feel like I need to (when we're on playground duty, we're usually required to stand). At least one co-worker has said straight to my face, "I don't know why you say you're tired, you only work part-time and you get to sit down whenever." She's a bitch in general so I try to let it just slide off, but it's just as annoying as the "Well I worked 80 hour weeks and flew across the globe and single handedly saved a village of starving children at 42 weeks pregnant" stories I have also gotten from other co-workers. It does suck to not be making as much as I was working full time, but at this time last year I ended up with a horrible case of bronchitis and I've been absolutely terrified of getting it again, so I'm really happy to know my boss is all right with me taking it easy right now.

So I guess other people might try to make you feel bad about having to change your hours or stop working or whatever, but my OB reminded me that I AM working, 24/7, to grow this baby, and some physical limitations on what I can do are real. Some people might think, "Oh, she's just using her pregnancy to slack off on her job," but seriously, YOU strap the biggest watermelon you can find onto your stomach and then deal with fifty 3- and 4-year olds running up to you asking you to bend down and tie their shoes.

Dr. Octagon, Baby Octagon is adorable! And MoCookies is right, it sounds like a ton of pregnant goons are in their third trimester now and I'm excited to see how all our babies turn out and read birth stories. I don't know why birth stories fascinate me so much--maybe it's because I don't have one of my own yet? Still, looking forward to them!

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Congrats Dr. Octagon, he's adorable and looks super snuggly and squishy!

Smuffin24
Dec 30, 2008
I have a 2 year old and an appointment to have my Implanon (birth control) removed next week. I am scared shitless.

My first pregnancy was complicated with pre-eclampsia, morning sickness, depression and post-partum depression. On top of that I have a very minor prolapsed bladder (google it) from a long labor (27 hrs). Oh and my husband and I just moved out of state half way across the country with no support system and hours away from any family. I do want another child but I'm so scared of having these issues again; mainly the post-partum depression. I had awful anxiety and intrusive thoughts for several months after he was born. I lost 30lbs in the 2 weeks after I had him and cried constantly. I couldn't sleep, I could barely function. Fortunately, I went to an amazing therapist and got my antidepressants straightened out which made a world of difference. It took me a few months to properly bond with my son.

I guess what I'm looking for is someone who's been through a similiar situation to tell me it'll be ok. Or tell me I'm stupid to even think of going through this all over again.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
You sound completely mentally unprepared to have another child. Why the rush? Get some (more) therapy. Not everyone is meant to have multiple kids. I know its going to be quite some time before I'm ready (if I ever am) and I have had a really easy time of it.

With no support system, I'd say no way are you going to have an easy time. Is there any point where you guys plan to move back near family?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Chickalicious posted:

With no support system, I'd say no way are you going to have an easy time. Is there any point where you guys plan to move back near family?

I'm in CA and both sets of our parents live in WI. Even with the support system I've built up since moving out west (getting involved in church, friends from work, an amazing OB), it has not been easy for me.

There are many times where I have a question that only my mom can answer, but I have to be careful of when I call because of the time difference. Or I'll need to vent about yet another crazy symptom and only a sister will do because it's too personal to share with a coworker friend.

Smuffin, only you and your husband can make the decision that's right for you. But I agree with Chickalicious. Make sure you have a quality support system in place before trying to get pregnant, keep on top of your mental health and don't rush into anything until you've set up ways to handle each of your fears.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

MoCookies posted:

edit: Just wanted to edit and say that I'm being self-indulgent and lazy as gently caress. I have no idea how you other ladies are working AND dealing with being pregnant. My best friend is 28 weeks and working 2 jobs, and I can't figure out where she gets the energy. I get worn out (and cranky) after about an hour of doing anything "in public" and I can't get back to my house quick enough for a nice cup of tea and an hour or two dicking around on the internet in peace and quiet. Babies R Us in particular stresses me out and makes me want to stab people, and then go home to have a root beer float.

I'm a web designer at a library and I've barely done any work for the last week because I am just exhausted. I feel pretty pathetic about it because I literally sit all day long. I've not finished a Hypnobabies session in the last week because I fall asleep ten minutes in. No energy whatsoever. Been hoping the whole "nesting" thing will set in soon so I at least have some motivation.

On the bright side, my mom-in-law knows a lady who worked at a daycare that recently closed and got rid of all its stuff. She scored two cribs, a high chair, a bunch of toys and equipment and clothes--all for free! :woop:

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Smuffin24 posted:

I have a 2 year old and an appointment to have my Implanon (birth control) removed next week. I am scared shitless.

Is it more you're being pressure into it, it's run its course, or just a personal decision to get it removed? Maybe have a session with your husband and your therapist and discuss your worries.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?

Smuffin24 posted:

My first pregnancy was complicated with pre-eclampsia, morning sickness, depression and post-partum depression. On top of that I have a very minor prolapsed bladder (google it) from a long labor (27 hrs). Oh and my husband and I just moved out of state half way across the country with no support system and hours away from any family. I do want another child but I'm so scared of having these issues again; mainly the post-partum depression. I had awful anxiety and intrusive thoughts for several months after he was born. I lost 30lbs in the 2 weeks after I had him and cried constantly. I couldn't sleep, I could barely function. Fortunately, I went to an amazing therapist and got my antidepressants straightened out which made a world of difference. It took me a few months to properly bond with my son.

I guess what I'm looking for is someone who's been through a similiar situation to tell me it'll be ok. Or tell me I'm stupid to even think of going through this all over again.

I have a reputation for writing the longest posts ever, so I'll try (TRY) to be succinct. You and I have a lot of similarities except I didn't plan the second pregnancy, we had insurance issues out the wazoo, and my kid needed surgery at 10 weeks old. We ran into about every complication you can imagine (some our doing, some just poo poo facts of life). We survived, and I would do it all again in a second, the same exact way -- if I had to. SO! Since you don't have to, I would advise the following: Discuss the medical issues with your new OB. Have you found one you liked? Spoken with a few doctors and maybe some locals to see who in your area is good and also do any OB and psychiatric centers have a relationship in your area so you can do like a total health thing through the pregnancy? I was hospitalized twice for PPD the first time. This time I was lucky in that I told the doctors right away and was able to line it up through the same hospital. Review your meds, before going off the pill, after, before conceiving, after, before giving birth, after. Hormones can gently caress you up, but staying on top of it with a doctor will help. Talk the entire time, let no worrisome stone unturned. Do you have your partner's support? A local mom's group? Ask yourself stuff like that, and then have plan A through Q and probably R to be safe.

You CAN have mental health issues and have children, but the approach is no different than becoming a parent with any medical issue. You have to be vigilant. And as someone who had no car and lived an hour from 99.9% of her support - its loving HARD. We didn't have the money to hire help, I'd consider it if you get closer to that point, even part time. But honestly, try to make some friends while working on the med poo poo. Then once you feel like where you are now is home you'll handle it better.

And two can be simple when they're both being chill and loving insanity inducing when they're not. I have some days that its like "LOL THIS IS SIMPLE" and other days where there are no words to describe the anxiety. Don't be so much afraid of the idea of doing it, use that fear to be extra cautious. It is great that you are thinking things through. Keep at it.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

zombie duck v2.0 posted:

There are some serious downsides to induction, but as yawnie said, once your water breaks you have a 24 hour period to have your baby, otherwise you are heading to the OR. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you, and you have a great delivery without the need for an induction at all. :)

Welp, my body has failed me. I started early labor on Sunday morning... and then it petered off. It came back hard and fast that night, with short, close together contractions, so we went to the hospital at 3am... and I was still only 2cm so they sent me home. And now after a day of painful contractions it's petered off again. I haven't slept since 6am Sunday morning and I'm at the end of my rope, so the induction is tonight. I would have loved to go naturally, but if this is what it takes to get things going then so be it.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Lyz posted:

Welp, my body has failed me. I started early labor on Sunday morning... and then it petered off. It came back hard and fast that night, with short, close together contractions, so we went to the hospital at 3am... and I was still only 2cm so they sent me home. And now after a day of painful contractions it's petered off again. I haven't slept since 6am Sunday morning and I'm at the end of my rope, so the induction is tonight. I would have loved to go naturally, but if this is what it takes to get things going then so be it.

Sounds like your body just needs a kickstart. Good luck!! :)

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Lyz posted:

Ah your body didn't fail you, it was just practicing for the real deal! Anyways, hope the induction goes well and hope you find the time to post some pictures of the little one at some point!

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Smuffin24 posted:

I am not in a similar situation, and I really think only you (hopefully with the support of your parnter & some friends/family) can decide if it's okay or not. But even with an easy pregnancy, no PPD, and a great 2 year old, I am terrified of our decision to start trying for another one. I mean, I made the decision with my husband and I think it's the right thing to do, but I am *still* terrified. So -- I don't think being scared shitless means you're making the wrong choice.

I do agree with the people who said to find a therapist, find a good OB, and start building your support system.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I'm 28 weeks now and I am starting to feel like my entire life is pee. All day I do nothing but pee. Swear I can't seem to go more than an hour without going to the bathroom. Have to go somewhere? Better pee first or I'll be doing the potty dance in the car the whole way. Time for bed? Good luck, but I'll be up at least 3 times to pee, then afterwards I can't fall back asleep. Somehow after all that there's still enough left in me that if I cough or sneeze, (which is a lot now because I'm getting a cold too, YAY)I'm loving wetting myself. Good times, folks.

I have an OB appointment this afternoon so I guess I'll find this out when I get there, but I was wondering, as I can't sleep at the moment, about the results of my 3-hour glucola test I had to take on Monday. I have not heard from the OB yet regarding it, but on Tuesday I was at my kidney doctor and he had the results - apparently my fasting sugar was fine, hour 1 draw was fine, hour 2 draw was "slightly elevated" but the hour 3 draw was fine. He said he wasn't sure if that would be something to be concerned about or not. Has anyone else gotten results like these, and if so what did they tell you?

On the bright side, I have another sonogram later today also, so I'll get another look at this kiddo! While they're checking her out, I'm going to have them double-check the sex for me, because at this point I am pretty emotionally invested in this being another girl like they said at 18 weeks when I got my last one, and if it isn't, I will need some time to adjust. Oh, and also come up with a boy name and buy some clothes.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

I'm in the same boat as far as sex goes. Just had an ultrasound today and now the doctor says he thinks it could be a girl, but is not sure. Every time we try to check the sex, the legs are crossed, making it extremely difficult. He was able to get an obscure shot of the genitals and he says he thinks they may be labia, but it could be bad shadowing.

So now we don't know what the heck. Here's the ultrasound in question:

The arrow is point at the genitalia. What do you guys think? It was slightly clearer when he was doing it and I remember someone mentioning that a nurse told them if it looks like a hamburger, it's a girl, hotdog means a boy. Well, it looked a bit like a hamburger. It was stacked and even, nothing sticking out further than the other.

I don't know. Hopefully in 4 more weeks we'll know for sure, as my doctor does an ultrasound every appointment. I just hope the baby is more cooperative.

On a better note, the doctor says everything looks really good and he's happy with how it's all going. Says it's setting up to be a good delivery. Only 24 weeks here, so hoping it stays that way!

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Fret - I'm 28 weeks today also and I don't ever not pee. Its ridiculous and its even more ridiculous when I've just peed and she plays on my bladder making me feel like I need to pee again.

Bodnoir - I honestly can't tell what I'm looking at. It kind of looks like the umbilical cord to me, I can't see a definitive hamburger or hotdog. Maybe that's just me though?

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Also 28 weeks, also peeing all of the time--except at night. Once I'm in "bed" (i.e., the recliner) it is very difficult to get out unassisted and I usually sleep really deeply anyway, so once morning comes I'm scrabbling to get out of that chair before I pee all over it! Another side effect: something about the angle it puts me in doesn't allow gas to escape overnight, so once I finally get upright, half the time I'm propelled the rest of the way by butt-trumpet.

Bodnoirbabe, my kiddo was pretty uncooperative too. The ultrasound tech had me drink an ice-cold full-caffeine-and-sugar Dr. Pepper (oh bliss! oh joy!) and wait fifteen minutes. It got him to wake up just enough to lift a leg and show us his junk. :3:

(Also: I never thought I would be so excited to see a set of baby genitals :psyduck:)

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I'm peeing like clockwork every 2 hours at nighttime, too. I can't remember the last time I slept ALL the way through the night without having to get up to pee, but I was probably early on in my 1st trimester. I even rearranged the furniture in the bedroom so that the distance I have to waddle to get to the bathroom is halved. I'm realizing now that I get that "oooh, I gotta pee RIGHT NOW" feeling when I'm having a Braxton-Hicks, and sometimes that's what's waking me up, rather than the full bladder itself.

As for getting back to sleep - I listen to a Hypnobabies track, and I'm out in just a few minutes without even trying. It's fantastic. I got the mp3s "from a friend", but the home study course would be 100% worth the money just for the ability to relax and get back to sleep throughout this pregnancy. There's a track of positive affirmations for pregnancy which I really love, too. That little daily dose of positivity makes up for a lot of the negative BS you're told and you see about pregnancy and birth.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Chicken McNobody posted:

Bodnoirbabe, my kiddo was pretty uncooperative too. The ultrasound tech had me drink an ice-cold full-caffeine-and-sugar Dr. Pepper (oh bliss! oh joy!) and wait fifteen minutes. It got him to wake up just enough to lift a leg and show us his junk. :3:

Oh! Thanks for the tip. I might just do this myself on our next appointment. I haven't had caffeine at all during my pregnancy so I'm sure it will make him (or her!) really active!

Bahunter22 posted:

Bodnoir - I honestly can't tell what I'm looking at. It kind of looks like the umbilical cord to me, I can't see a definitive hamburger or hotdog. Maybe that's just me though?

The picture is from on top of his butt looking down to the genitals. Just the genitals and a portion of the thighs are visible there. It is a really bad capture but on the screen, there was a bit more definition, although not nearly enough to determine the sex.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

The picture is from on top of his butt looking down to the genitals. Just the genitals and a portion of the thighs are visible there. It is a really bad capture but on the screen, there was a bit more definition, although not nearly enough to determine the sex.

If it's any help this was my daughter's ultrasound at apparently the same view. Well, same view as in from the bottom up:

e: oops, need photo

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 28, 2011

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
All I'm seeing there is some kind of demon rabbit head.

Our ultrasound went great today, they got a good look and confirmed that she IS a girl. I'm taking their word for it because unless I see a foot or a nice profile view, I can't tell what the gently caress I'm looking at there. They said she's growing perfectly. Also, I don't have gestational diabetes so that is a plus! :woop:

Goon
Apr 22, 2006
Hey all,

I'm a manager in a kitchen and my assistant manager is now pregnant and I'm wondering what to expect, and how I can be supportive of her

What should I expect as far as physical needs, doctors visits, ability to lift heavy objects, stand for long periods, work intensely, be focused? What can I do to make the work place hospitable and supportive? At what point roughly will she need to take time off prior to the birth?

Is there anything that would be a good idea to have on hand? e.g. mouthwash for morning sickness

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Goon posted:

Hey all,

I'm a manager in a kitchen and my assistant manager is now pregnant and I'm wondering what to expect, and how I can be supportive of her

What should I expect as far as physical needs, doctors visits, ability to lift heavy objects, stand for long periods, work intensely, be focused? What can I do to make the work place hospitable and supportive? At what point roughly will she need to take time off prior to the birth?

Is there anything that would be a good idea to have on hand? e.g. mouthwash for morning sickness

It's very cool of you to want to help her out, kudos for that. In my opinion, the biggest thing you can do is to be flexible and understanding.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to say whether she'll be able to stay focused, work intensely, etc. Some women are totally find with doing physical work for their entire pregnancies, some are not at all able to, and some fall somewhere in between. Same with time off prior to birth-- for some women, they need to stop working sooner, others will go right up to their due date. As far as doctor or midwife visits go, it varies by risk factors (e.g. chronic diseases like hypertension or diabetes) and also how far along the woman is. Her doctor or midwife will also advise her on lifting restrictions. So, like I said above, being flexible and understanding will be an amazing gift for you to give her.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

So for those of you who stopped working in the third trimester and don't have any other kids yet...what do you do all day? :psyduck:. I took two days off this week because I felt like crap and much of my job is standing outside in the cold, plus my pelvis has been hurting much more lately. And I felt way better being able to stay home and sit or lie down in whatever position was comfortable all day, so physically it was great...but mentally, I was really bored.

I'm considering quitting work sooner than I intended, but I'm not sure what to do with all that time. I mean, when I stayed home this week, I'd do a load of dishes and take out a bag of garbage and feel completely wiped out after that, so I'd spend most of the day curled up under an electric blanket, napping or reading. I feel that if I'm going to be staying home instead of working, I should at least be cleaning or cooking more or something while my husband works all day, but all my body really wants to do at this point is rest. This is all my own view, too--my husband said that if I need to stay home and rest up for Baby, then do so; no one is outright telling me that if I stay home I need to scrub the apartment from top to bottom every day. I guess I'm also afraid that I'll stop working, say, next week, and then the baby is 2 weeks overdue and now I've spent six whole weeks at home doing nothing when I *could* have made a little more money by staying at my job a little longer. I know it's up to me to decide when I need to stop working, but I'd love to hear how others came to that decision and if you regretted it either way (wish you had worked longer, or stopped working sooner).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I found I was hungry and/or had heartburn, especially in the beginning and end, and got permission from my boss to keep konnyaku jellies around and snack on them during work hours. I also got priority for sandbox duty (sitting in the shade) while the other teachers were out on the playground.

For most people, the first 6 months are fine for working normally. My work switched me from full-time to hourly for my last month and they were right- I sometimes was too tired, or feeling unwell, and needed to leave early. Then they asked me to leave for the last three months and they were right again- a physical job like kindergarten, in full August heat, just wasn't possible.

But as long as I was awake, I kept doing sit-down stuff until Bug was born. Even when they put me on bedrest for 3 weeks I was painting Halloween decorations for work.

After birth is important too- how long is her maternity and/or unpaid leave? I was lucky enough to have my job waiting for me when Bug turned 5-6 months-ish. It was all unpaid maternity leave, but I'd rather have that than have paid leave and need to decide between quitting, or going back after 4 weeks.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Banana Cat, I didn't have work or school during my second trimester this summer. I did get mentally bored and ended up starting a couple new hobbies. I started crocheting which is relatively inexpensive and now I have cute things for the baby and cheap Christmas gifts. I also started sewing, though I don't do that as much now because it's not comfortable. But I was still a little bored - I started studying for my math and engineering classes before school even started.

Sometimes I wished that I had taken a summer class but now that I've started fall classes I'm glad I took that time to rest, so don't feel guilty for resting.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Banana Cat posted:

So for those of you who stopped working in the third trimester and don't have any other kids yet...what do you do all day? :psyduck:. I took two days off this week because I felt like crap and much of my job is standing outside in the cold, plus my pelvis has been hurting much more lately. And I felt way better being able to stay home and sit or lie down in whatever position was comfortable all day, so physically it was great...but mentally, I was really bored.

I'm considering quitting work sooner than I intended, but I'm not sure what to do with all that time. I mean, when I stayed home this week, I'd do a load of dishes and take out a bag of garbage and feel completely wiped out after that, so I'd spend most of the day curled up under an electric blanket, napping or reading. I feel that if I'm going to be staying home instead of working, I should at least be cleaning or cooking more or something while my husband works all day, but all my body really wants to do at this point is rest. This is all my own view, too--my husband said that if I need to stay home and rest up for Baby, then do so; no one is outright telling me that if I stay home I need to scrub the apartment from top to bottom every day. I guess I'm also afraid that I'll stop working, say, next week, and then the baby is 2 weeks overdue and now I've spent six whole weeks at home doing nothing when I *could* have made a little more money by staying at my job a little longer. I know it's up to me to decide when I need to stop working, but I'd love to hear how others came to that decision and if you regretted it either way (wish you had worked longer, or stopped working sooner).

I worked part time for pretty much all of the third trimester, and I did a lot of sleeping, cleaning and nesting. And crocheting. And more nesting. And cooking, especially stuff to feed the freezer. And more nesting.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Dental work during pregnancy: Anybody had it? My teeth hate me so I have to have a root canal next week. :(

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?

Chicken McNobody posted:

Dental work during pregnancy: Anybody had it? My teeth hate me so I have to have a root canal next week. :(

Yeah, it was fine, same thing. I did have to get a doctor's note saying it was ok but that was it.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Yes, I had cavities filled in my second trimester. The dentist even had a little pillow to put under my right hip so that I wasn't flat on my back. He said he went a little lighter than usual on the Novocaine but I still didn't feel anything.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Two weeks ago Mrs D. checked in as a pregnant goon-wife. She's 7 weeks and counting, Seems to have avoided major sickness but is as emotional as hell - apparently me getting home early, late or on time is now blubbing worthy. I'm trying not to turn into "sitcom-father-to-be" and trying to let her tell me what she wants/needs and generally just being there for her.

All I can say is the poor sod is stuffed with us(okay... Me) as parents.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Don't count her out of the woods on morning sickness yet, lots of times it takes awhile to kick in. She might wind up with it yet. But maybe she'll be one of the lucky ones!

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Banana Cat posted:

So for those of you who stopped working in the third trimester and don't have any other kids yet...what do you do all day? ....And I felt way better being able to stay home and sit or lie down in whatever position was comfortable all day, so physically it was great...but mentally, I was really bored.

There's a delicate balance between trying to feel productive and overdoing it, at least for me. I hate cleaning, but I feel like I'm doing enough housework each day if I run the dishwasher, do at least one load of laundry, and spend 30 minutes cleaning some room of the house. With just my husband, me and the mutts, that tends to be enough to stay on top of things; some days I get more done, but I try not to sweat it if I don't. I've learned the hard way that if I overdo it, I'm going to feel pretty crappy later. Staying mentally challenged is more work, though. I'm doing some of the free online classes that Stanford is offering (ai-class.com is one). I'm kinda obsessed with getting better at sudoku at the moment. And internet and video games, too, like a good goon.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Banana Cat posted:

So for those of you who stopped working in the third trimester and don't have any other kids yet...what do you do all day?

I had a couple of days of crazy clean everything, and then my body told me to sit the gently caress down. I hurt my back cleaning the toilet. Now, like others have said, I'll do the dishes from the night before, toss in a load of laundry, and I don't feel bad if I sit the rest of the day. But, I get BORED too. I am working on knitting the baby's blanket, so there's that to keep me busy, and I'm cooking a lot of "toss this on the stove and ignore it most of the day" meals. So I'm "cooking" all day, even though I'm not standing there. I've made a ring sling for later, and I might start making other things, and I'm SLOWLY working on cleaning out the master bedroom so we can move in. (former roommates left their stuff) I've 'decorated' for Halloween, and I'll probably make some stuff to decorate for Thanksgiving, because my husband gets all cute when I decorate and he comes home and discovers it.

I probably spend too much time on the computer, but Netflix is a savior right now, cause I can watch something and knit so I'll feel "productive" instead of "I sat on my rear end and watched 'How It's Made' all day".

As to your questions about deciding on quitting work, my decision was kinda made for me. I 'worked' with my dad, and we needed to wait until there was a competent replacement for me. I worked up to 32 weeks, and I really should have stopped earlier (exhausted every night, couldn't even cook dinner tired). But, I would have gone mental without the job, and honestly even though I was so tired and worked too hard, I think that staying on my feet and doing the work gave me a much healthier pregnancy than if I had stayed home.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Mr Darcy posted:

Two weeks ago Mrs D. checked in as a pregnant goon-wife. She's 7 weeks and counting, Seems to have avoided major sickness but is as emotional as hell - apparently me getting home early, late or on time is now blubbing worthy. I'm trying not to turn into "sitcom-father-to-be" and trying to let her tell me what she wants/needs and generally just being there for her.

All I can say is the poor sod is stuffed with us(okay... Me) as parents.

I really, really, really hope she doesn't have to endure morning sickness (or all day sickness, like me) but mine didn't hit until about 7 or 8 weeks. Like I said, hopefully she side steps that all together, but you aren't completely out of the woods yet.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I intend to be working right until they kick me out of work, which is about 10 days before due date. My job is very sedentary though; I literally just sit at my desk all day, so there's no physical labour involved, and I take breaks as and when I need to. I get fully paid 6 months off with a temp filling in my job while I'm gone, but I want as much of that 6 months as possible to be for AFTER the baby is born.

Having said that, if I end up being off earlier I expect I will spend all my days playing computer games (world of warcraft... I know, the shame!) and knitting in front of the TV. Already spending my weekends knitting up baby stuff! Husband can do the cleaning at that stage; I'll turn on dishwasher and washing machine and maybe cook an easy meal occasionally, but I doubt I'll do much more than that once hugely pregnant.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Helanna posted:

I intend to be working right until they kick me out of work, which is about 10 days before due date. My job is very sedentary though; I literally just sit at my desk all day, so there's no physical labour involved, and I take breaks as and when I need to. I get fully paid 6 months off with a temp filling in my job while I'm gone, but I want as much of that 6 months as possible to be for AFTER the baby is born.

Having said that, if I end up being off earlier I expect I will spend all my days playing computer games (world of warcraft... I know, the shame!) and knitting in front of the TV. Already spending my weekends knitting up baby stuff! Husband can do the cleaning at that stage; I'll turn on dishwasher and washing machine and maybe cook an easy meal occasionally, but I doubt I'll do much more than that once hugely pregnant.

I had to start my leave 3 weeks before the baby was born (that's the rules here), which was kind of a bummer since I was more than physically able to work, and since the baby was 9 days overdue, I ended up using more than a month of my leave before he was even born :/

I played computer games at night before baby was born, I often couldn't sleep because of needing to pee and having heartburn so I sat in the dark living room at 4AM playing Diablo 2. I've never felt goonier ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smuffin24
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. We will be moving back near family in 3 years when my husband's work here is finished. The whole getting pregnant thing was my idea because I do want a second child and I want my children fairly close in age. Also I'd like to be over and done with the whole pregnancy thing so I can have my body back for good. I am definitely going to discuss my issues with the OB before he actually takes out the implanon and see what his take on it is. I know that I don't want to go off of zoloft during my pregnancy and I need to know if my OB would be ok with that.

I guess I also just kind of want a chance to do this whole thing over again and do it "right". I had such an awful time last time that I want to have one positive birth/post-partum experience, even if I know it's not guaranteed. Hell it could be even worse.

edit:Forgot to add I don't have a therapist out here yet.

Smuffin24 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 29, 2011