Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

DethMarine21 posted:

Yeah I remember reading about this in the trucking thread way back; it's a reactant to lower emissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdBlue :science:

"AdBlue is the registered trademark for AUS32 (Aqueous Urea Solution 32.5%)..."

So that's the blue stuff they're always dumping on diapers in commercials!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

RapeWhistle posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about it except for you. Make another thread about it so you can get laughed at.

Am I missing something?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Geirskogul posted:

Am I missing something?

RapeWhistle is just mad because I said crossposting from reddit without crediting the source is lazy.

VVVVVVVVV :ssh: this has been well hashed out.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 28, 2011

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

meatpimp posted:

RapeWhistle is just mad because I said crossposting from reddit without crediting the source is lazy.

does it really matter? Does reddit credit their sources? It's not like they didn't do the exact same thing over there. You should probably never go into pyf or your head will explode.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Third Man posted:

does it really matter? Does reddit credit their sources? It's not like they didn't do the exact same thing over there. You should probably never go into pyf or your head will explode.

PYF is reddit.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

PYF is reddit.

and 4GIFs.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

RapeWhistle posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about it except for you. Make another thread about it so you can get laughed at.

Calm down skippy.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

meatpimp posted:

VW thread, or mechanical failure thread, or you put what on your car thread. Stolen from reddit.

http://imgur.com/a/JSntv

Bunch more from this "incident"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Whitewalls? Really?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Whitewalls?

I just made you say whitewalls in Tony Shalhoub's voice. Admit it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Whitewalls? Really?

Yeh but they are extreme whitewalls, the kind that show once all the rubber is gone. I think we are looking at the chords (cords) of the tire.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's the band of white rubber behind the white letters.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Veeb0rg posted:

http://imgur.com/a/JSntv

Bunch more from this "incident"

Note: When connecting jumper cables to the dead battery, make sure you don't mistakenly attach the positive lead to a block of thermite.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Stupid question, what do you have to do to cause that big of a jump-related fuckup, and why did it do more than just blow a fuse somewhere?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Positive to frame? :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
You don't even have to really gently caress the connections up (well, donor negative to recipient negative is a gently caress-up), just get some sparking on a battery that's venting hydrogen, instant corrosive fireball of melting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Alereon posted:

Stupid question, what do you have to do to cause that big of a jump-related fuckup, and why did it do more than just blow a fuse somewhere?

jumper cables (except the kind made for retards that they apparently sell now) don't have a fuse. Unless you are color blind / completely blind or retarded they are not difficult to use.

Hook em up the wrong way and something exciting is bound to happen.

EDIT: EightBit, you're SUPPOSED to go negative to negative and positive to positive, unless you're saying it should be positive to positive and frame to frame, which is fair. Negative to positive and positive to negative will effectively short both batteries in series and you really, really don't want to do that.

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 29, 2011

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

jumper cables (except the kind made for retards that they apparently sell now) don't have a fuse. Unless you are color blind / completely blind or retarded they are not difficult to use.

Hook em up the wrong way and something exciting is bound to happen.

EDIT: EightBit, you're SUPPOSED to go negative to negative and positive to positive, unless you're saying it should be positive to positive and frame to frame, which is fair. Negative to positive and positive to negative will effectively short both batteries in series and you really, really don't want to do that.

Positive to positive, and donor negative to recipient frame. Might be different for weird :britain: positive-ground systems. Taking negative to the frame limits the current a bit and keeps the sparking away from a battery that may be venting hydrogen.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
From China: Driver attempting to pull a u-turn in a busy street collides with a truck carrying a load of steel, which sheds its load right through the windscreen. Amazingly, the driver was fine - he wasn't wearing a seatbelt and ducked over to the passenger side just in time.

But fuuuuuuck:

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

bolind posted:

What is going on here? What's that cable hanging off the back?

That Porsche took a poo poo on the track and is getting winched onto a flatbed.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Amazingly, the driver was fine - he wasn't wearing a seatbelt and ducked over to the passenger side just in time.

Hopefully everyone that tow truck passes has equally good reflexes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

Amazingly, the driver was fine - he wasn't wearing a seatbelt and ducked over to the passenger side just in time.

By "fine" they must mean didn't require any major surgery, there's quite a bit of blood on/around the driver's seat. Either way the driver is one lucky bastard.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Geoj posted:

By "fine" they must mean didn't require any major surgery, there's quite a bit of blood on/around the driver's seat. Either way the driver is one lucky bastard.

No, a lucky bastard wouldn't have been involved in the wreck.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Geoj posted:

That's oil/water poo poo from the steel bits.

Also, those pictures are nightmare fuel, I will never hang around or tailgate a load-carrying truck for the rest of my life.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Geirskogul posted:

That's oil/water poo poo from the steel bits.

Also, those pictures are nightmare fuel, I will never hang around or tailgate a load-carrying truck for the rest of my life.

I was a few minutes behind a logging truck that dropped it's load all over the road. Scary poo poo - all it took was for one of the uprights to fail. An unlucky mustanng happened to be behind it and wreck is bumper. I drive on a highway with logging trucks everyday so I keep my distance until I get a chance to pass. I don't want a 20ftx1ft log anywhere near my hood.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Crustashio posted:

I was a few minutes behind a logging truck that dropped it's load all over the road. Scary poo poo - all it took was for one of the uprights to fail. An unlucky mustanng happened to be behind it and wreck is bumper. I drive on a highway with logging trucks everyday so I keep my distance until I get a chance to pass. I don't want a 20ftx1ft log anywhere near my hood.

I wonder if logs bounce like they did in the beginning of that Final Destination movie we're all thinking of right now.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Well, I got to feel like a jackass today while trying to be a nice guy. This like 70 year old guy got a flat and his jack had broke, so he asked if he could use mine. I said sure and then in between taking off the old tire and putting on his spare my jack decided to fail.

Thankfully it kind of slowly collapsed to the side so no one got hurt except his car.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Crustashio posted:

Here in Vermont, there are logging trucks everywhere. It's like one constant panic attack :ohdear:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Well, I got to feel like a jackass today while trying to be a nice guy. This like 70 year old guy got a flat and his jack had broke, so he asked if he could use mine. I said sure and then in between taking off the old tire and putting on his spare my jack decided to fail.

(pics)

Thankfully it kind of slowly collapsed to the side so no one got hurt except his car.

20 bucks. I might be paranoid as gently caress but I refuse to use scissor jacks. They scare the poo poo out of me for exactly that reason.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

20 bucks. I might be paranoid as gently caress but I refuse to use scissor jacks. They scare the poo poo out of me for exactly that reason.

I was actually looking at something like that at Harbor Freight today, when I went to get a new jack. However, I don't have a lot of room in my truck so I just got another scissor jack since they work well enough for changing a tire. It isn't like you are crawling under the car or anything when you are changing one.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

I was actually looking at something like that at Harbor Freight today, when I went to get a new jack. However, I don't have a lot of room in my truck so I just got another scissor jack since they work well enough for changing a tire. It isn't like you are crawling under the car or anything when you are changing one.

I watched a doctor change a tire with the manufacturers own scissor jack. Luckily his hand wasn't broken when the jack slipped and he for some reason had his fingers under the tire.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Your jack looks to be made for a specific place on your car, not a random car. More "universal" jacks don't have a bump in the top with a corresponding divot on the bodyshell or chassis.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.
I've had to use those things at least a few times to change tires, and luckily have never had any issues. Never did feel comfortable at all with them. (Yes, I have a floor jack for when I'm just messing around in the garage)

What kind of conditions make that happen? Corrosion? Uneven ground? Manufacturing defects?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

teh jhey posted:

I've had to use those things at least a few times to change tires, and luckily have never had any issues. Never did feel comfortable at all with them. (Yes, I have a floor jack for when I'm just messing around in the garage)

What kind of conditions make that happen? Corrosion? Uneven ground? Manufacturing defects?

It won't happen unless there's something wrong with the ground/mounting point. In this case the jack only had a very small contact area (the tip of the bump) so any deflection perpendicular to the scissor motion would have easily caused it to topple. The deflection in this case probably came from simply jacking up the car (the contact point moves along the dome and will cause a torque on the jack itself).

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

Your jack looks to be made for a specific place on your car, not a random car. More "universal" jacks don't have a bump in the top with a corresponding divot on the bodyshell or chassis.

Lesson learned and thankfully no one was injured by my mistake. His car had divots in the same place as my truck, so I figured it would be fine.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I changed my clutch using a scissor jack on one end of the transmission while using a rolling jack on the engine side of the transmission, rocking the Transmission back and fourth into place while sliding the scissor jack slowly forward.

It was not the most ideal solution and 3 months later I had a Transmission Jack.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Lesson learned and thankfully no one was injured by my mistake. His car had divots in the same place as my truck, so I figured it would be fine.

You probably loaded it the wrong direction then, they are made (obviously) to not have to do any lateral load holding, and if jack where the car loads that direction, you get your type of failure.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Jusupov posted:

I watched a doctor change a tire with the manufacturers own scissor jack. Luckily his hand wasn't broken when the jack slipped and he for some reason had his fingers under the tire.

I've got a nice gouge in the tarmac in front of my house from a slipped scissor jack. Or rather, the gouge is from the rear suspension as it dragged along the pavement for a foot. Between that jack and the wonderful orange wheel chocks that did absolutely nothing to stop my car, I'm lucky I managed to walk away without losing my arm, leg, or brake drum.

gently caress it, now everything I do is getting a full four-point jack stand treatment, even if I'm just loving around with a single tire or something.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

This poo poo happened to me two weeks ago. I saw an old dude in a Protege with a shredded tire and I went to help him. I used both his and my scissor jacks for safety and wouldn't you know it, my lovely Canadian Tire Mastercraft scissor jack's teeth slipped out of alignment and it dropped. Thank God his stock jack, about 2/3 the size of mine, caught his car and I finished changing the tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Ford Explorer bottle jacks are actually pretty good and quite small. I'd use one of those over a scissor jack. They are also a hot item and junk yards, so good luck finding one.