Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

darkhand posted:

Yup. I think I'm going to do that a little tonight. I like to peak in the cursed frog spot every couple of runs and count the statues :3:

Are those statues cursed blood stains of other players? Holy poo poo! I actually just thought it was something creepy the game kept putting in for atmosphere.

(I never got cursed, so I don't know what it does. I was actually farming those frogs for a while before my brother saw me and said "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING!? THESE ARE THE CURSE GUYS!")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah pretty sure all the statues down there are player-made. Curse kills you instantly and halfs your HP permanantly until it's removed it also creates a statue of you on your MP-network. I only wish smashing another player's statue removed their curse.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
If there's one thing to take away from this thread, it's that you should never, ever set your controller down or fight enemies near friendly NPCs.

waspinator posted:

He is also the biggest rear end in a top hat of them all.

Yeah, he seems to take forever to kill and you have to fight him on a thin ledge overlooking lava (and I looked out and saw like 20 dino legs standing there too). He's kind of a drag to farm as a result and the closest bonfire is in the demon ruins so you'll have to run a gauntlet of angry demons on the way back each time.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

If there's one thing to take away from this thread, it's that you should never, ever set your controller down or fight enemies near friendly NPCs.

Yeah, he seems to take forever to kill and you have to fight him on a thin ledge overlooking lava (and I looked out and saw like 20 dino legs standing there too). He's kind of a drag to farm as a result and the closest bonfire is in the demon ruins so you'll have to run a gauntlet of angry demons on the way back each time.

Well poo poo. Seems like a hassle. I have quel's furysword to +5 already. The demon titanite is just for boss-soul weapons and Demon Swords/Axes poo poo right? I'm never going to have the strength to use those so I think I'll not worry about farming him then.

Edit: People should PAUSE before putting down the controller. Pushing any of the shoulder buttons while paused just moves the menu around.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 29, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The bonfire in the Chaos Covenant room is better since there are no enemies between you and the Titanite Demon save for a few chaos bugs. It's about the same distance as the bonfire in the Demon Ruins as well.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

The PS3 controller really sucks for that. I remember hard-striking the merchant in Nexus in Demon's Souls. loving PANIC inducing. Fortunately he just gave me a warning.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any advice for beating Knight Lautic? I don't see how it's possible to win a 3 on 1, I can maybe handle 2, but with two guys slashing away at me constantly at melee, and another guy firing unblockable magic at me, I've tried and died about 12 times now and not even gotten close to winning.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Palleon posted:

Does anyone have any advice for beating Knight Lautic? I don't see how it's possible to win a 3 on 1, I can maybe handle 2, but with two guys slashing away at me constantly at melee, and another guy firing unblockable magic at me, I've tried and died about 12 times now and not even gotten close to winning.

I kinda cheesed it. Iron-Fleshed and beat on them you can prioritize, the mage or Lautrec. You can also run up and down the stairs and eventually they will single-file up it and try to get you and you can fight them that way too. You can also bee-line the mage and parry/backstab him. The animation will make you invincible while you kill him, then it's pretty easy to pick the other 2 off.

Don't worry about drops I don't think they "drop" anything in their corpses, you get the armor after O+S. So don't worry about about "oh poo poo I missed the drops" like I did at first.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 29, 2011

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
So where is the shortcut to izeleth? Is it that massive tunnel right before the firesage room? I gave spider lady 30 humans and got her spell and the door says it's still locked by some contraption.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

Macksy posted:

So where is the shortcut to izeleth? Is it that massive tunnel right before the firesage room? I gave spider lady 30 humans and got her spell and the door says it's still locked by some contraption.

That's the one. Are you still in the Covenant?

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Is there a Humanity number where item discovery "tops out"? As in, there's no further benefit to using humanities?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

freeb0rn posted:

That's the one. Are you still in the Covenant?

No I joined another covenant before going back down into the ruins. Something tells me I may have just screwed myself.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Zero Karizma posted:

Is there a Humanity number where item discovery "tops out"? As in, there's no further benefit to using humanities?

It stops increasing after 30 which. Really though you shouldn't go above 10 if you just want item discovery as the increase really tapers off. Even at 30 it is less than half of what the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring gives.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

evilalien posted:

It stops increasing after 30 which. Really though you shouldn't go above 10 if you just want item discovery as the increase really tapers off. Even at 30 it is less than half of what the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring gives.

Cool. I'm at 10 now, plus I have the ring.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Item Find through Humanity tops off at 110, so 410 combined with the Serpent Ring is the maximum.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I can't use the cracked red eye orbs, what gives? I'm in the Undead Burg, I've beaten the demon thing, I've reverted to human form, but the option is still crossed out. Why?

Edit: I'm dumb, i was too close to the bonfire.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Macksy posted:

No I joined another covenant before going back down into the ruins. Something tells me I may have just screwed myself.

Apparently if you left, you only need 15 humanity to get back to rank 2.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
To add some mysterious info about the free Estus flasks you sometimes get:

I'm down in Ash Lake near those clams I was farming, and I'm just standing there, having not even killed one yet after loading from the bonfire. I got one flask, then suddenly another flask, and then another. 3 flasks in as long as it takes for those 3 animations to finish. It was weird.

On a related note, what do people typically upgrade with Twinkling Titanite?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Arcaeris posted:

I'm down in Ash Lake near those clams I was farming, and I'm just standing there, having not even killed one yet after loading from the bonfire. I got one flask, then suddenly another flask, and then another. 3 flasks in as long as it takes for those 3 animations to finish. It was weird.

Someone upgraded the Bonfire 3 times in rapid succession.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Palleon posted:

Pull the other two with a bow, fight as far back as you can so Lautic won't notice you.

You can't heal with the Estus flask when invading someone's world however that doesn't stop you using the Heal miracle.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Arcaeris posted:

I think Pinwheel gives you Rite of Kindling which lets you reinforce the bonfire 3 more times.

I've upgraded Black Iron chest peice. It kicks rear end. something like 102 physical mitigation and only like 15wt. Makes it better than Havel's but with less poise. The helm is really good too depending on how heavy you want to get. I also upgraded the antiqued leg peice. It gives more mitigation than GoldHemmed at that point and only 3wt.

I'm running around with like 230 mitigation and only 28wt.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 29, 2011

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Palleon posted:

I went up the stairs on the opposite side from where archer knight would be, shot the mage, which got him running way ahead of everyone else. On the stairs at the first landing they grouped up, so I used Great Chaos Fireball and that apparently killed the other knight guy in one shot and damaged the wizard and Lautrec. I ran to the top of the stairs, they bunched again, and then shot them again and that killed the wizard, then I switched to regular Fireball and got Lautrec because I'd missed a few chaos Fireballs in there.

Mind you I play a melee chick 99% of the time but I happened to lately upgrade the poo poo out of that Pyromancer Flame to only like, +11. Area spells work well when dudes are bunched, and the extra lava effect is rad on Great Chaos Fireball.

In essence, use the terrain to your advantage and try pyromancy. Once Lautrec starts at you, he just nonstop hounds your rear end, whereas the other two can break off or stop and do other poo poo. Use that as well to separate them.

doctor 7 posted:

Someone upgraded the Bonfire 3 times in rapid succession.

Oh, thanks. Seems weird to upgrade the bonfires in Ash Lake, though.

Arcaeris fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 29, 2011

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006
Getting close to the end here, and I'm about to farm and upgrade everything I can before I go murdering NPCs. Question - I've seen a lot of debate about the Greatsword of Artorias and the Greatshield of Artorias, but I'm on the fence about which to upgrade. For reference, I am a very heavy shield user, and I love the fact that I can block while simultaneously poking with my spear (though its damage leaves something to be desired if I'm being honest). I prefer weapons with a balance between damage and speed, and all the heavy weapons I've come across are insanely slow for my tastes, leaving you wide open to hits (I really can't get into Zweihander type play - too slow). With that in mind, and assuming stats aren't an issue, I'd love to hear arguments about which would be better to upgrade on the first run through.

Edit - for further reference, I'm currently using an upgraded Eagle shield.

Auracounts fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 29, 2011

Cocks on the Rocks
Jan 5, 2011

by Duchess Gummybuns
I got more humanity drops with the rats in painted world than in the depths

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Auracounts posted:

Edit - for further reference, I'm currently using an upgraded Eagle shield.

The GreatShield of Artorias has more stability than a +15 Eagle Shield, so it's better at taking hits without eating your entire stamina bar.

For reference the eagle shield starts at 70 stability, while the artorias has 88, at +15 the eagle has 84 which considering the investment of all those shards/larges/chunks and the slab isn't that great, you can happily make the artorias and never upgrade it to save titanite for other upgrades.

Make it out of another GS though since the eagle shield's high lightning resist makes it a good PVP shield, the best shield is Havel's but that requires 50 strength.. Also the Artorias requires 34 STR so bear that in mind.

The Greatshield of Artorias has decent fire reduction and slightly better resistances than the eagle as well.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Palleon posted:

Aggro them then turn around and run up the stairs and jump off the landing back to the ground floor. String them out into a line, get a shot or two in on the guy in front, then run away again and try to string them out again. Like that one character said in The Seven , to battle is to run. You can't beat them when they're in a group so don't fight them when they're in a group. Only engage in those breaks when their group has been split up.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Kren and I are trying to figure out how to min/max Sorcery Damage. Rocking a Bellowing Dragon Ring, Dusk Crown, and Antiquated Dress.

Unfortunately, damage bonuses from INT seem to be pretty minimal, and one additional point (at about 25 INT) doesn't seem to improve damage on even the highest (current) rank Soul Arrows. Oddly enough, the basic "Soul Arrow" did see a 2 point damage increase. What's the deal? Is it just a fluke. It isn't like we have been particularly thorough, but with roughly +50% magic damage we would expect to see some sort of noticeable improvement from a Greater Heavy Soul Arrow, even if it is only 1 point.

Could it be the Catalyst? I thought Sorceries simply scaled with INT, and the Catalyst "MagAdjust" was some sort of bonus contribution. He is using the C(?) scaling Catalyst purchased from Oolacile, but I was under the impression the INT scaling on Catalysts only influenced the melee damage with said Catalyst. It doesn't seem like the MagAdjust is changing, at least.

Summary: Want to make magic boom big boom. How do?

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

darkhand posted:

I think Pinwheel gives you Rite of Kindling which lets you reinforce the bonfire 3 more times.

I've upgraded Black Iron chest peice. It kicks rear end. something like 102 physical mitigation and only like 15wt. Makes it better than Havel's but with less poise. The helm is really good too depending on how heavy you want to get. I also upgraded the antiqued leg peice. It gives more mitigation than GoldHemmed at that point and only 3wt.

I'm running around with like 230 mitigation and only 28wt.

Same here, for their weight Black Iron and the Antiquated Skirt are amazing. My Pyro is rocking out Dusk Crown, Black Iron Chest, Hard Leather Gloves, Antiquated Skirt and a Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring (increased damage of "sorceries", but it works for pyro spells too) and I'm one-shotting silver knights in Anor Londo with plain-ol Combustion and I'm only at 33 equip load.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Kiggles posted:

Could it be the Catalyst? I thought Sorceries simply scaled with INT, and the Catalyst "MagAdjust" was some sort of bonus contribution. He is using the C(?) scaling Catalyst purchased from Oolacile, but I was under the impression the INT scaling on Catalysts only influenced the melee damage with said Catalyst. It doesn't seem like the MagAdjust is changing, at least.

Summary: Want to make magic boom big boom. How do?

That is the catalyst that changes the least with INT, but it starts with a high MagAdjust to compensate. INT absolutely affects MagAdjust on catalysts so you should try switching to a different one like Logan's.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

evilalien posted:

That is the catalyst that changes the least with INT, but it starts with a high MagAdjust to compensate. INT absolutely affects MagAdjust on catalysts so you should try switching to a different one like Logan's.

Even the basic sorcerer's catalyst has more than the oolacile one.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I killed the gaping dragon and got this cool greataxe... too bad it requires 50 strength :(

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

So I killed the gaping dragon and got this cool greataxe... too bad it requires 50 strength :(

This is ok, because it is the best axe.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

lohli posted:

This is ok, because it is the best axe.

Is that NG+ or something? It's doing really low damage considering the short range and slow swings. I'm only level 36-38 (can't remember) or so, and have 26 strength, and my Zweihander is doing 300+ damage per hit against those knights.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp my first foray into blighttown ended in a smashing failure. Would it be accurate to say that this is where the real Dark Souls begins?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Is that NG+ or something? It's doing really low damage considering the short range and slow swings. I'm only level 36-38 (can't remember) or so, and have 26 strength, and my Zweihander is doing 300+ damage per hit against those knights.

The DKGA has 360 base damage, it caps at 540. The only other weapon that I'm aware of that matches that is the DKGS.

Edit: Whoops, screwed that up, I meant the Dragon Great Sword matches it.

lohli fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 29, 2011

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Welp my first foray into blighttown ended in a smashing failure. Would it be accurate to say that this is where the real Dark Souls begins?
Tomb of the Giants is where you poo poo really starts to get pushed in I'm afraid.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Dominic White posted:

He hasn't upgraded it at all. It does 540 physical when fully upgraded.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

evilalien posted:

He hasn't upgraded it at all. It does 540 physical when fully upgraded.

That's pretty powerful, but the range and speed still seem a concern. Looks very easy to get mashed badly.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006
Any particular reason to hang onto my Core of an Iron Golem? (Not interested in the fist or axe)

Edit: Err, this is weird and maybe someone can shed some light on why I was just gifted these items. I was running to the Parish blacksmith when I noticed a new item drop inside the parish. I picked it up and gained 7 humanity and the pendant. I's on end stages and ready to face Gwyn after I finish tooling around. Is this a plot point I missed?

Auracounts fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

darkhand posted:

Depending on how far you are, and I hate to say it, but you might need to restart your character. He sells some boss armor later. If you're ok with that then no worries though. Those crystal things are easily outclassed.

At what point does he sell it? What armor is it? I never went back there.

• Locked thread