Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

invalid posted:

And looking ahead: do you have to meet the intel requirement to buy the spell or can you but it but not equip it?

I know Logan won't sell you spells if your int is below 15. Riggs might not either, but I didn't actually save him until after I'd already bought stuff from Logan, so I had plenty of int at that point. Other than getting the vendors to talk to you, there's no other requirement for purchase.

I believe all the sorceries also have int requirements to be able to use just like weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

Alteisen posted:

What is that shield and where do I get it.

Crystal sheild, buy it from Domhall of Zena. the dude with funky horn helm you meet in the depths, near gaping dragon.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

invalid posted:

Sorry to go back to this, but what do you suggest I level up?

I'd suggest vitality since you think you need more; you already know that 40 is a good endurance breakpoint, and damage scaling for strength/dexterity/intelligence/faith drops off after 40, severely after 50. Unless you really want to cast a specific spell, your faith is probably alright for the moment.

If nothing else, vitality is always great; it is a mistake buffer and one-shot prevention stat.

On the topic of weapons, your occult claymore rocks because it is a claymore. The one handed fierce is a lunge that does far more than the sword's stats would indicate. My guess is the scimitar/falchion and lucerne/halberd movesets do not have any strong individual hits approach the speed and damage of the claymore's vicious R2.

Is there a better weapon for the 16str/10dex investment? I'm thinking not.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 29, 2011

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Taken a break for a while until the patch is out, do we have an ETA on it yet?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alectai posted:

Taken a break for a while until the patch is out, do we have an ETA on it yet?
I haven't heard news of an ETA.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

invalid posted:

And looking ahead: do you have to meet the intel requirement to buy the spell or can you but it but not equip it?

You need 10 int before the apprentice sells to you, 15 before Logan sells to you, and there is no requirement to buy spells from the blacksmith locked up in the New Londo Ruins.

You can buy the spells regardless of int requirements and can even attune them, but you can't cast it.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Ok, thanks for the answers. I knew I'd never get close to some of those high level stuff with the path I've chosen.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I never found Rhea or Patches in the catacombs. Did I miss something? I went to it after Anor Londo and I thought he was supposed to be at the lever near the bonfire because I've seen him there on another character. I didn't see him or Rhea anywhere at all and I explored it pretty thoroughly. Will he still show up in ToG?

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Grant: Sloooooooooooooooooooooow

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

darkhand posted:

I never found Rhea or Patches in the catacombs. Did I miss something? I went to it after Anor Londo and I thought he was supposed to be at the lever near the bonfire because I've seen him there on another character. I didn't see him or Rhea anywhere at all and I explored it pretty thoroughly. Will he still show up in ToG?
They're in the Tomb, not the catacombs.

I thought Patches was going to be an actual hyena-type thing. I was really surprised when I found a human.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Patches is only in the Catacombs if you go in there in the brief time when Rhea and pals are at Firelink.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Elysiume posted:

They're in the Tomb, not the catacombs.

I thought Patches was going to be an actual hyena-type thing. I was really surprised when I found a human.

He definitely earns the nickname, though. I... haven't encountered him yet in Dark Souls, but in Demon's, he's the scavenger.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I dunno I think he's the most human out of all the people you meet. Except maybe the crestfallen guy in firelink. He's self-aware, comparatively Onionman and Solaire look like Mr Magoo blindly adventuring into death-pits.

I think it's pretty cool how they have NPCs with their own agenda and missions in DaS though.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 29, 2011

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
I've just reached the ceaseless discharge on my no cheese, no glitches, dexterity based character. Got a bunch of utility spells (chamelion, hush, fall control, etc.) and a +2 lighting Iaito. To reward my decision to play the game properly, that big octopus bastard used NOTHING other than his unstoppable, undodgeable, fiery beamy death attack. It did ~75% of my health a hit and +3 flasks couldn't heal all that back up so I ended up having to use 3 flaskes every 2 times he hit me. I had to kindle the bonfire 3 times and use humanity to heal to finally kill him. He just decided to use nothing other than that attack for the 15 or so times I attempted to kill him.

Super-Smough did the same thing too, he just Buttslammed on the spot and occasionally charged me, but that wasn't as bad because I just poisoned him with throwing knives (bastard took like 25 of them) and waited for him to die. Man the game does not appreciate me trying the traditional meathods that do not involve pyromancy and goddam crystal soul mass.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RADmadness posted:

I've just reached the ceaseless discharge on my no cheese, no glitches, dexterity based character. Got a bunch of utility spells (chamelion, hush, fall control, etc.) and a +2 lighting Iaito. To reward my decision to play the game properly, that big octopus bastard used NOTHING other than his unstoppable, undodgeable, fiery beamy death attack. It did ~75% of my health a hit and +3 flasks couldn't heal all that back up so I ended up having to use 3 flaskes every 2 times he hit me. I had to kindle the bonfire 3 times and use humanity to heal to finally kill him. He just decided to use nothing other than that attack for the 15 or so times I attempted to kill him.

Super-Smough did the same thing too, he just Buttslammed on the spot and occasionally charged me, but that wasn't as bad because I just poisoned him with throwing knives (bastard took like 25 of them) and waited for him to die. Man the game does not appreciate me trying the traditional meathods that do not involve pyromancy and goddam crystal soul mass.
Trying to play on my low level mostly dexterity character without pyromancy was fine until O&S. I've died so many times on O&S I've almost entered controller destroying levels of rage, so I made a new character to play on until I relax. I'll probably end up maxing out pyromancy or something, if I decide I want to grind out a lot of souls.

The fact that pyromancy is so strong and completely unreliant on stats means it works on every single character, which is kind of dumb, in my opinion.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I failed to mention this before but I had finally survived the parish and had entered some church looking place and killed a HEAVILY ARMORED knight in there, got some titanite shield, shot some priest dude who was hiding, and took some elevator back to firelink shrine. Did I miss anything important?

Try not to spoil anything

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not really, just the boss you are supposed to be fighting right now.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

You are going to have to go back there immediately and there is a closer bonfire than firelink.

Well I hope that elevator thing is still there because i decided to restart my ps3 after resting at the firelink shrine because i was scared of all the freezes.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

RADmadness posted:

I've just reached the ceaseless discharge on my no cheese, no glitches, dexterity
Super-Smough did the same thing too, he just Buttslammed on the spot and occasionally charged me, but that wasn't as bad because I just poisoned him with throwing knives (bastard took like 25 of them) and waited for him to die.

This just seems... right.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Did you grab the thing the large knight was guarding? Little tip: don't eat it!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes you can just take it back up there. The game shouldn't freeze at all and it wouldn't affect your save if it did. In 120 hours I have had zero freezes.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

neetz posted:

More accurate tip: bring it to Anastacia, the lady down the stairs from the Firelink bonfire.

NESguerilla posted:

Yes you can just take it back up there. The game shouldn't freeze at all and it wouldn't affect your save if it did. In 120 hours I have had zero freezes.
I had it freeze twice so far on the 360. It didn't affect the saves, it just said "you didn't save and quit properly and it may have caused some loss in playtime in the save" or something.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

neetz posted:

I did this my first playthrough :(

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is it ever worth ascending a shield to elemental/divine/other status?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

neetz posted:

I never use items unless it heals me. I'm too paranoid that i'd miss a neat item because I thought it would be cool if it made my farts purple.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Gooch181 posted:

At the end of the catacombs in the big open cave filled with wheel skeletons, how the hell do you get to the shiney-having corpse on the little cliff over by the entrance to pinwheel's love lounge?

Didn't see this answered yet. Spoilering just in case. Right next to the first main bridge (excluding the very first one you crossed when you zoned in), near where there are several skeletons and mists, there is a little overhang on the right. If you peer below the overhang, you should see the item. Drop down onto the ledge (it will take a good chunk of health), and get your item.

Incidentally, it creates an amazing shortcut through the catacombs from the second bonfire. Drop from second bridge onto ledge next to first ---> drop onto item ledge ---> wheel room.

Dizz posted:

Well I hope that elevator thing is still there because i decided to restart my ps3 after resting at the firelink shrine because i was scared of all the freezes.

It will be there. If it's not, just pull the nearby lever (this is true of most elevators). By the way, there's a bonfire near where you were. I will spoiler it in case you don't want to know and just want to discover on your own: exit the elevator, head straight into the open area with two spear guys and an archer. Keep heading straight over the bridge and it's just downstairs. There's also a happy surprise further down the stairs.

Auracounts fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 29, 2011

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Cosmik Debris posted:

So I started a new bandit character and decided to do a quelaag speedrun. After dying to the ogres at valley of drakes and lighting the bonfire, making it to her lair and taking off a 20th of her health bar, she killed me. Total time ? 12 minutes.

I take it she is immune to bleed then? I certainly got that impression killing her with an Uchi.

Maybe a cleric would be good. Put two points in dex, grab the faith sword and dragon shield, and then hit quallag. Time lost grabbing the sword, shield, and dicking around with leveling up would probably be made up for by the fight not taking fifteen minutes.

*I think I spent ten or so killing her with my +5 Uchi*

e: I read that thief for some reason... instead of bandit.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
Dark Souls success stories!

Just now I was level 1 pyro in the lower burg, I had just triggered the first ambush when-DARK SPIRIT CUNTFLAPS MCGILLICUTTY HAS INVADED YOUR WORLD. Two assassins chasing me around and the invader chucking a billion firebombs at me. It was nuts! I even saw the assassin's "hop on your back and slash your throat" move for the first time, which for some reason didn't kill me outright. Aside from that I managed to keep them all in front of me, and the Fireball I got off landed right on top of an assassin and the invader, killing one and almost killing the other. Invader throws a combo into my shield, I throw one into his face. VICTORY :black101:

Then I took down Goatboy and friends with 1 alluring skull and 0 Estus. It's been a good day.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Mr. Bing posted:

Dark Souls success stories!

Then I took down Goatboy and friends with 1 alluring skull and 0 Estus. It's been a good day.

Holy poo poo. I can't believe alluring skull hasn't come up before as a strat for him. That's genius!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

darkhand posted:

I kinda cheesed it. Iron-Fleshed and beat on them you can prioritize, the mage or Lautrec. You can also run up and down the stairs and eventually they will single-file up it and try to get you and you can fight them that way too. You can also bee-line the mage and parry/backstab him. The animation will make you invincible while you kill him, then it's pretty easy to pick the other 2 off.

Don't worry about drops I don't think they "drop" anything in their corpses, you get the armor after O+S. So don't worry about about "oh poo poo I missed the drops" like I did at first.

The real cheese for Lautrec is to pull out a longbow and hit each guy 3 times with a poisoned arrow. They sit there and take it and they don't agro if you don't move around too much. You'll probably have to hit them again if you want to totally kill them as they have a lot of HP and the poison wears off. But just getting them all down half way makes them way easier

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?

oneliquidninja posted:

Holy poo poo. I can't believe alluring skull hasn't come up before as a strat for him. That's genius!

I wish I could say it was my idea, but the dude who posted the 25 minute video of punching the Asylum Demon to death mentioned it, and it worked really well on the first try. I don't think it matters where you chuck it, as long as you get it out and get your shield back up in time. I had the Capra's first attack blocked and a free path up the staircase. By the time the dogs got done playing with the squeaky toy, I was in the safe spot and could deal with everything with axe and flame.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

RADmadness posted:

Both of his long distance fire smashes are perfectly dodgable, just to let you know for future reference. I played the exact same thing as you, high dex and vit build, and the key is to roll dodge out right when he starts to bring his limb down from the swing arc. It's tricky but rewarding to do.

As for the guy having trouble with O&S on a high dex character, have a semi decent shield with some respectable stability and a good bow with plenty of non-lovely arrows. Kill O first by baiting his charge with distance and pecking away at him, and then when just S is left stay at medium distance and keep a pillar between you and him, and every time he tries to use an attack pump an arrow into him at the end of the animation. No lightning butt stomp, no fuss, no muss.

Seriously ya'll things like poise, kindling, and pyromancy are for wusses. :colbert:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Requested_Username posted:

Is it ever worth ascending a shield to elemental/divine/other status?

Sure, if you want to dual wield shields and attack things with your mainhand shield. :haw:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Auracounts posted:

It will be there. If it's not, just pull the nearby lever (this is true of most elevators). By the way, there's a bonfire near where you were. I will spoiler it in case you don't want to know and just want to discover on your own: exit the elevator, head straight into the open area with two spear guys and an archer. Keep heading straight over the bridge and it's just downstairs. There's also a happy surprise further down the stairs.

E:I am a blind idiot who cannot see things.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 29, 2011

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Dear Watson posted:

The real cheese for Lautrec is to pull out a longbow and hit each guy 3 times with a poisoned arrow. They sit there and take it and they don't agro if you don't move around too much. You'll probably have to hit them again if you want to totally kill them as they have a lot of HP and the poison wears off. But just getting them all down half way makes them way easier

I did it slightly differently. I didn't have poison arrows yet, so I stood at the stairs where you zone in, and pulled the mage with my bow. I stayed behind the wall as the mage came in, then when he stopped throwing magic, I pulled him back onto the stairs more, where I fought him solo. If you stand high enough on the stairs, the others won't see you fight. I then pulled the warrior the same way, took him out, then I had Lautrec all to myself.

That said, I cheese the gently caress out of this game, haha. I did it all over ToG, which is why that area wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I figure it's a legitimate strategy to play as an archer/melee hybrid. I'll probably experiment a bit more on my NG+ though - I'm thinking of maybe upgrading an Uchi, or getting into pyromancy and such.

Almost done with first playthrough and still so much to learn about this game.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dizz posted:

No idea what you're talking about. When I take the elevator back to the undead parish I'm in the church area with knights, When I head out I can pull the lever to take me to the other side of it with 2 archers and a bunch of spear guys. I'm not sure if you're referring to the bridge with the dragon there and if you're referring to that beefy knight with the huge mace.

He means heading in the direction you should be facing as you come out of the elevator, and not heading right into the 3 knights.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Dizz posted:

No idea what you're talking about. When I take the elevator back to the undead parish I'm in the church area with knights, When I head out I can pull the lever to take me to the other side of it with 2 archers and a bunch of spear guys. I'm not sure if you're referring to the bridge with the dragon there and if you're referring to that beefy knight with the huge mace.

Nope. Take the elevator from Firelink into the church. Step forward, but don't turn or move your camera at all. You will see an exit door straight in front of you. If you are heading back to the big gate with the archers, you're going the wrong way. The church has two exits - one straight ahead from the elevator, and the main entrance to the right of the elevator. You don't even need to provoke the knights to exit the parish. When you exit that way, you will see one archer and two regular spearmen. You don't have to fight them if you don't want to - you can just run straight from the exit across the bridge.

Edit:

lohli posted:

He means heading in the direction you should be facing as you come out of the elevator, and not heading right into the 3 knights.

What he said.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah i saw it right after I posted. I'm not sure if it's recommended i fight that "surprise thing just yet so i'm not going to bother and continue ascending the church.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well that was a new bug for me. I just enter the battle with the Moonlight Butterfly and it faced away from me and was much further away than normal. It attacked nothing in the distance for a couple minutes and then vanished altogether (before I could kill it effortlessly with ranged attacks :argh:). I reloaded and it was fine but that was strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Sounds exactly like what the butterflies in the Crystal Caverns do if you snipe them from behind an obstruction.

I don't remember any cover in that area though, so... :psyduck:

• Locked thread