Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Does anybody else still only read this series to see who Jon Snows real parents are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You mean Wylla? I think that means "red herring" in High Valyrian.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Does anybody else still only read this series to see who Jon Snows real parents are?

I just assumed it was Robert and some random villager.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's clearly Hot Pie and an apple pie.

Just like a woman, oh yeah.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

It's Lyanna and Rhaegar, hope this helps.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

Hey guys guess what, its the movie we've all been waiting for!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/film-version-of-george-rr-martins-wild-cards-in-th,64205/

I can die in peace now. Walrus man forever.

Jon is the kid of Dany/~Daario~ through time shenanigans.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Dominion posted:

It's Lyanna and Rhaegar, hope this helps.

Thanks, time to burn the books now.

e: Nvm.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 29, 2011

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Crap, we scheduled that thing for tonight, but I totally forgot.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

Crap, we scheduled that thing for tonight, but I totally forgot.

Me too :hfive:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, I am in Missouri ATM and I am pretty sure over 80% of the population here is drunk, but I've been preparing for school and such today, then just totally lost track of time.

Oh well. If there is still interest we can reschedule.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey dudes, I just received ADWD as a birthday gift from my roommate (we are reading it simultaneously!) and I'm about halfway through and had to stop and ask: seriously, what the poo poo is going on with the Theon chapters? Is there any kind of point, or does it just get progressively more and more like some sort of Saw movie where he has increasingly painful or gross things happening to him for no reason other than "dark gritty fantasy"?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey dudes, I just received ADWD as a birthday gift from my roommate (we are reading it simultaneously!) and I'm about halfway through and had to stop and ask: seriously, what the poo poo is going on with the Theon chapters? Is there any kind of point, or does it just get progressively more and more like some sort of Saw movie where he has increasingly painful or gross things happening to him for no reason other than "dark gritty fantasy"?

At least he doesn't spray runny poo poo all over himself while period blood runs down his legs.

Edit: THEON DO YOU WANT TO PLAY A GAME

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

bigmcgaffney posted:

At least he doesn't spray runny poo poo all over himself while period blood runs down his legs.

Edit: THEON DO YOU WANT TO PLAY A GAME

I'm honestly kind of surprised this doesn't happen in the chapters I haven't read yet :o:

I expect to see him in some sort of human centipede situation in the next one.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

my cat is norris posted:

I just made lemoncakes last week and meant to take pictures.

Sumptuous and moist lemoncakes the color of a summer sun, dusted by powdered sugar, the bright citrus flavor dissolving into bliss inside one's mouth. Their gooey, sugary sweetness reminded Dany of the semen now resting in her womb. "When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. “When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves."

Guess that means Dany can bareback ~~~~Daaaaarrrrriiiiooo's moooouuuuuusssstaaaachiiiiiooos~~~~ all she wants now

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Dead Man Posting posted:

Oh well. If there is still interest we can reschedule.

Yeah let's reschedule for sure! I still want to do it.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
You lot definitely have writing a la GRRM down. :golfclap:

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

The Theon chapters are the best.
Pay attention to the chapter names, by the way.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

rejutka posted:

You lot definitely have writing a la GRRM down. :golfclap:

Its true :smith:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wolfsheim posted:

Theon and Davos have the only good chapters in the book.

I would, in the past, have advised you to leave the thread before someone spoils you, or spoilered you myself, but the only real spoiler to ADWD is that nothing happens. So, uh, welcome to the party. Grab a lemoncake and enjoy your explosive diarrhea.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

I would, in the past, have advised you to leave the thread before someone spoils you, or spoilered you myself, but the only real spoiler to ADWD is that nothing happens.

That pretty much nails the spirit of the book. poo poo, I was halfway through reading it and was so disgusted that I came back to this thread early. Hearing about explosive poo poo, Jon getting stabbed and stuff really didn't phase me, as I found I really didn't care anymore.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/story/Portland-woman-boyfriend-wont-face-charges-in/O5kF74cxmUikMab_W02A2g.cspx

quote:

In addition to the picture of the naked woman inside the horse, there are other photos, including one of the woman and her boyfriend holding what appears to be the horses’ heart. Another shot shows them holding a piece of the horse in front of their mouth – posing as they’re about to take a bite out of it.

Superfans take note: The bar has been raised.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

quote:

Arguably the most artistic photo of the group is a picture of the naked 21-year-old, blood-soaked from head to toe, standing over the horse’s body she had just been inside.

:flashfap: :horse: :flashfap:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
What. The. gently caress.

:wtc:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

IRQ posted:

Theon and Davos have the only good chapters in the book.

I would, in the past, have advised you to leave the thread before someone spoils you, or spoilered you myself, but the only real spoiler to ADWD is that nothing happens. So, uh, welcome to the party. Grab a lemoncake and enjoy your explosive diarrhea.

Asha (Greyjoy), Tyrion & Grif/Young Grif (SURPRISE SURPRISE) Chapters were pretty good as well.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The last Quentyn chapter is also good, and I liked the Bran chapters. Oh, and Victariowns.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
Also the Arya chapters. And Barristan.

So really the book was pretty ok except Dany. And the second half of Tyrion.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

What. The. gently caress.

:wtc:

Guess you could say she's a real khaleesi

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

IRQ posted:

:flashfap: :horse: :flashfap:

The horse and woman were so intertwined, the boyfriend could not tell if she was in the horse or it in her. It was impossible to discern where leathery horseflesh ended anf soft, nubile girlflesh began. Two had become one.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Wolfsheim posted:

There is. You're supposed to watch Theon's complete breakdown as a person and do a complete 180 on how you viewed his character from the past four books.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

There is. You're supposed to watch Theon's complete breakdown as a person and do a complete 180 on how you viewed his character from the past four books.

This is true, but most importantly don't forget to masturbate.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
He's still a douche.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm gonna take a stab at this, stop me if I'm wrong.

Theon had 3 defining traits before his capture by Ramsay - his need for recognition from his family, his conflicting feelings re: The Starks, and of course he loved to find out where and when he could stick his cock into things.

Jumping to where he stands now, Theon has been essentially rejected by his family (?and has come to terms with this?) with the notable exception of Asha. He's still completely hosed up re: The Starks, having pretended to kill two of them, yet still obviously cares for them, and of course the jury is still out on whether he's still got a cock or not. Consensus seems to lean towards no.

Extrapolating from that, he will assumedly be used by his family to depose Euron or at the very least get a do-over of the Kingsmoot. The Starks would assumedly want him dead if their family wasn't so hilariously and cosmically hosed over to the point of near-powerlessness. And something something Ramsay something.

The thing about this is I've no idea how Theon would react to anything here. We haven't actually seen any development of him this past book, it's just been him dealing with more and more ludicrous levels of torture to illustrate what is assumedly a moment of great change for him. Because gently caress me if he comes back just the same as ever or, God forbid, even more annoying and inept than before then I don't even know what I'll do. Post angrily about it, assumedly. We've yet to see how he now views his family (the name thing is a good start here) particularly Asha, or Euron, or the Starks, or Jon, or Ramsay and the Boltons. Frankly, he's due moments of vengeance and redemption.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Dany's chapters were the only ones where I was all "Ah jeez not this poo poo again" (and Arya most of the time but I seem to be in the minority there). Tyrion's were never a drag but then he's probably my fav character.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Regarding Theon: he can't hold a sword but he can still hold a bow, so hopefully that pays off.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I think it's possible that Theon was stabbed, not flayed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I think it's possible that Theon was stabbed, not flayed.

ADWD specifically said he had a finger flayed at one point.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

ADWD specifically said he had a finger flayed at one point.

Then he tried to bite it off and was punished! It's suggested he had at least 3 fingers and some toes flayed.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Yeah, Ramsay's whole thing is flaying. Any other way would probably not feel Bolton-enough, and if there's one thing he hates it's not being thought of as a Bolton.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And his dick was probably flayed before Ramsay's girls bit it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
The jury's not out, Theon had his dick removed. Maybe stick to Harry Potter if you're having trouble discerning this.