Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I wonder if Lyz had the baby yet. I would assume so, since it's been radio silence, but it's always interesting to see the folks who ask for tons of advice and then disappear, presumably after the kid arrives.

EDIT: New page, have a picture of my son 2 days after he was born! He'll be a year-old on 11-23!

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

My girlfriend and I are currently 17.5 weeks pregnant with our first child. We found out that other day that we're having a boy.

So, here's a couple pictures of Baby James.

On a somewhat related note, my mother was in town last week so she could see an ultrasound. Throughout the weekend, she started this annoying habit of referring to James as "our baby", as if she were an equal part in this equation. I've stressed that is not "her baby", and she gives me some rationalization that since she made me, she's a parent by proxy. It really loving irks me, because I can see her challenging the decisions my girlfriend and I make as parents. I'm intent on making sure she understands the boundaries, but she has a hard time listening.

Has anyone else experienced similar poo poo from their parents?

EDIT: \/\/ Yea, I realized I forgot to crop them when I first posted.

Escape_GOAT fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 29, 2011

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
^^ All that personal information you left on those ultrasounds made the HIPAA trained professional in me cringe.

VorpalBunny posted:

I wonder if Lyz had the baby yet. I would assume so, since it's been radio silence, but it's always interesting to see the folks who ask for tons of advice and then disappear, presumably after the kid arrives.

Labor story time!

So I scheduled the induction and they told me to come in at 10. By this point, my contractions had again petered down into small, infrequent bouts. Then I get a call at around 9, telling me they didn't have beds available and to call back around 6 the next day. So dejected, I go upstairs to try and get some sleep. That's when the contractions came back, harder and stronger. Most of them felt like the kid was slamming his head into my cervix with each start. Add to the fact that he was thrashing around like crazy as I lay on my side, so after a an hour or so of thrashing around in bed I get up and go downstairs. I start timing my contractions and by now I'm pretty sure I'm in the active labor stage, which means maybe I won't need the induction after all. While I'm debating whether or not to just pack up and go anyways, they call and say they have a bed free, and I can head in. Win-win!

I get there and they check me out, and I'm only two centimeters still. By now I'm having contractions so bad I have to freeze in place until they pass, and even then it takes every ounce of willpower to move my legs forward. So they decide to dump the Pictocin in me anyways, because I'm exhausted, dehydrated and not doing so great otherwise. After about an hour of Pictocin and increasingly painful contractions, I'm still only maybe two and a half centimeters. So they give me a shot of Nubain, which will help me relax between contractions. I doze off for I don't know how long, and wake up groaning to contractions that squeeze my entire body. Then begins the worst hour of the whole thing... these contractions completely take over. They tighten up every muscle down there and still have a peak where I go even more. By now I'm got my nurse trying to coach me through breathing and not straining and I'm losing it. It culminates in me sitting down to pee, a contraction hitting me, and my water not so much breaking as exploding into the toilet. By this time I'm crying for an epidural, and they check my progress again... I've gone from 3.5 to 8 cm dilated in 45 minutes. They decide to do the epidural anyways, because these contractions are hitting me so hard I'm screaming like I'm in labor.

So the catheter goes in and and the drugs take effect... almost. I'm still feeling discomfort so the nurse tries a cath and takes a surprising amount of urine out of my bladder. I guess it's not so easy to pee when contracting. Finally a bit of the discomfort subsides and the husband and I get an hour or so of rest.

I wake up to some powerful feeling contractions, and the nurse checks me again and tells me I'm ready to start pushing in like half an hour. Huzzah! So I lie there, feeling the contractions getting harder and stronger and being able to not fight them thanks to the drugs. The nurse check on me again, and was like "oh hey let's start pushing now!" So 22 minutes later, the demon was born!

Obligatory picture:

Sorry I didn't post sooner, I've been dealing with the joys of sleep deprivation and breastfeeding struggles... most natural thing in the world, my rear end. I actually wrote this post two days ago and it's been sitting on my laptop.

Lyz fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 29, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's always easy! But congratulations, he's adorable!

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Carl Seitan posted:

Yeah, they're invasive and condescending. My mom wants to stay with us (for a week? I don't know) after the baby is born so I'm drawing lines and not going to let anyone stay more than a couple hours at a time for the first month.

But if you're only at 17.5 weeks, you have a long ways to go. "Our baby" is a small drop in the bucket compared to how annoying they can get. And even though you're in this with your girlfriend, she does have it worse - I've been talked down to about epidurals, breastfeeding, wanting a career, baby showers. Ugh. My husband has been more or less supportive but he doesn't jump in to defend me, mostly because he hasn't read about anything and wouldn't even know how to defend my decisions. I've even marked the sections of the books so he knows what to read.

So I went off at a tangent there but anyway, I'm sure it will work out.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Carl Seitan posted:

On a somewhat related note, my mother was in town last week so she could see an ultrasound. Throughout the weekend, she started this annoying habit of referring to James as "our baby", as if she were an equal part in this equation. I've stressed that is not "her baby", and she gives me some rationalization that since she made me, she's a parent by proxy. It really loving irks me, because I can see her challenging the decisions my girlfriend and I make as parents. I'm intent on making sure she understands the boundaries, but she has a hard time listening.

Like Tesla Insanity Coil said, it's probably going to get worse. At some point, you are going to have to put your foot down and say something along the lines of, "I do really appreciate your advice, Mom, but it's our turn to parent in the way that we feel is best for our family." I had to deal with this with my in-laws, and, while my husband did say something to the effect of what I said above, what really worked the best was the test of time. They see how awesome my daughter is and realized at some point that we clearly weren't loving everything up since she is so cool.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's always easy! But congratulations, he's adorable!

Thanks! It is getting gradually less aggravating, now that the kiddo is getting better at latching and my milk is coming in, but now my nipples are so chapped it's a pretty painful experience at when he first grabs on. Time to start working on pumping to give them a break.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
So here I am in the middle of a freak October snowstorm, with no power, one day before my due date. No heat. The roads are completely covered and lovely, and a transformer straight-up exploded outside my house. Nobody's out there fixing it, so who knows when it will be back on?

Unassisted, frontier-style homebirth, anyone? At least we could boil water since the gas is still on, and our neighbor across the street is a nurse...

Edit: congratulations, Lyz!

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 29, 2011

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lyz posted:

Thanks! It is getting gradually less aggravating, now that the kiddo is getting better at latching and my milk is coming in, but now my nipples are so chapped it's a pretty painful experience at when he first grabs on. Time to start working on pumping to give them a break.

You might already know, but: Rub some breast milk on them and let them airdry. If it's really bad try lanolin cream, but remember to let it be absorbed into the skin before putting on a bra/shirt, or the moistness could make it worse.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
^^^^ Seriously, unless you're squirting milk everywhere, go around topless as much as possible. Letting your nipples dry after rubbing a little milk on them is really good for the chapping.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?

Smuffin24 posted:

I guess I also just kind of want a chance to do this whole thing over again and do it "right". I had such an awful time last time that I want to have one positive birth/post-partum experience, even if I know it's not guaranteed. Hell it could be even worse.

edit:Forgot to add I don't have a therapist out here yet.

If its any consolation my second birth was amazing compared to the first. AMAZING. Its not the same for everyone, but there is definite hope.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
Oh jesus the back pain...I experienced a little bit of pain in the first trimester, just a nagging ache. It only lasted a few weeks and was gone by the time I hit my second trimester. I'm 23 weeks now and for the last few days my back pain has come back with a vengeance. Especially yesterday and today. I felt pretty good this morning but after doing a couple hours of errands with my husband I literally can't move without an intense SHARP stabbing pain in my lower left back. I laid down on the floor when I got home and it was so bad I could not get back up. I ended up crawling up the stairs crying it hurt so much.

Please tell me this is temporary! What the gently caress. I'm barely halfway through my pregnancy and the back pain is easily an 8/10. I've taken a hot bath, I've taken some tylenol, I've used a heating pad. Nothing is touching this pain. Maybe my baby is just hanging out on top of one of my nerves or something...anyone else experience such intense back pain so early?

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Mangue posted:

Oh jesus the back pain...I experienced a little bit of pain in the first trimester, just a nagging ache. It only lasted a few weeks and was gone by the time I hit my second trimester. I'm 23 weeks now and for the last few days my back pain has come back with a vengeance. Especially yesterday and today. I felt pretty good this morning but after doing a couple hours of errands with my husband I literally can't move without an intense SHARP stabbing pain in my lower left back. I laid down on the floor when I got home and it was so bad I could not get back up. I ended up crawling up the stairs crying it hurt so much.

Please tell me this is temporary! What the gently caress. I'm barely halfway through my pregnancy and the back pain is easily an 8/10. I've taken a hot bath, I've taken some tylenol, I've used a heating pad. Nothing is touching this pain. Maybe my baby is just hanging out on top of one of my nerves or something...anyone else experience such intense back pain so early?

Hi there back pain buddy! I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my doc says it either sticks around the whole time or gets worse. :smith: I've had severe back and hip pain for about 2 months now (I'm a little over 28 weeks) and there's no end in sight. Tylenol is a joke and the heating pad only helps while I'm sitting on it.

Here is what has helped me:
- Sleeping in a recliner (full recline works fine)
- Sitting on a massaging chair pad
- Sitting and bouncing on an inflatable exercise/birth ball
- Vigorous pounding/slapping/tapping/drumming massage
- Gentle stretching

Floating in a warm pool or tub would probably also feel great, but I don't have a pool and my tub is really shallow.

Good luck!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Panne posted:

You might already know, but: Rub some breast milk on them and let them airdry. If it's really bad try lanolin cream, but remember to let it be absorbed into the skin before putting on a bra/shirt, or the moistness could make it worse.

Actually, I hadn't heard of that. I'll have to give it a shot. I've certainly given up on bras, except as something to hold the hydrogels in place.

So, I've been doing some reading because our little tyrant is turning out to hate sleeping when not attached to a human (and hate sleeping on his back), and I wanted to quiz you all - what's everyone's opinion on bed-sharing? I ended up inadvertently dozing with him in the bed this morning and it ended up working pretty well, but of course most experts say "oh god it is the most dangerous thing EVAR." We've had two nights of him screeching about 10 minutes after we put him down in the crib, and getting up to soothe him every time is a monumental task since I'm still pretty broken from labor. The other consideration is that thanks to our finicky steam heat system, we can't seem to get the nursery to a reasonable temp so it's pretty drat COLD in there. If I cosleep and bedshare till the weather gets warmer that will put him at about the right age for weaning to a crib anyways.

I know the obvious answer is to get one of those co-sleeping bassinets, but honestly given his track record of being separated from people already I kind of hesitate to spend $150 on something that he may not like... plus it seems most of the benefits come from being right next to each other anyways. It was pretty nice this morning being the middle spoon between my husband and son - my cat however is unimpressed that his favorite sleeping spot was stolen. =)

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

We did bedsharing for the first seven months or so. We had planned to use a little in-bed cosleeper but, like you, discovered that he would wail and wail unless actually sleeping with a person--so when he was two weeks old and we were so short on sleep that it was hard to focus our eyes, I gave up and just pulled him into the bed with me. And immediately we were getting enough sleep at night. We moved him to a crib when he started to roll out of bed and try to take up a full half of our queen bed--the middle half. If you're comfortable with it, I say go for it (providing that you don't drink, use sleeping drugs, have a ton of pillows, etc.).

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
We had about the same experience - intended to use the little sidecar bassinet but she never would stay asleep unless she was with me. It started off with me just passing out while nursing at night but I have pretty much zero resolve when I am sleep deprived so we wound up cosleeping for quite some time, actually until she was about 3. To be honest, I wanted her out of the bed much sooner than that - she started taking up a lot more space, kicking, rolling, and so on, not to mention throwing a monkey wrench in our sex life. But once again, I give up way too easily when I need sleep so I'd wind up giving in and letting her back in bed. It was very tough to get her out. Now she sleeps perfectly in her toddler bed, but her bed is still in our room. Oh well, it's something. I am determined not to do it again with the new baby (easier said than done!) and hopefully kill two birds with one stone and get her bed in the other bedroom with the baby. It might actually work considering the amount of time I'd be spending in the room in those first weeks.

Anyway some people love it, it was sweet at first and it absolutely lets you get some loving sleep for a change, but it was really tough to transition her out of it later.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Lyz posted:

Actually, I hadn't heard of that. I'll have to give it a shot. I've certainly given up on bras, except as something to hold the hydrogels in place.

Are those the liquidy kind of pads? I got some in the hospital and they felt great, but ultimately figured out they were making the chapping worse because they kept my skin moist all the time. Once I stopped using them the nipple cracking healed up in a couple of days.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Chicken McNobody posted:

Hi there back pain buddy! I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my doc says it either sticks around the whole time or gets worse. :smith: I've had severe back and hip pain for about 2 months now (I'm a little over 28 weeks) and there's no end in sight. Tylenol is a joke and the heating pad only helps while I'm sitting on it.

Here is what has helped me:
- Sleeping in a recliner (full recline works fine)
- Sitting on a massaging chair pad
- Sitting and bouncing on an inflatable exercise/birth ball
- Vigorous pounding/slapping/tapping/drumming massage
- Gentle stretching

Floating in a warm pool or tub would probably also feel great, but I don't have a pool and my tub is really shallow.

Good luck!

Do those things you mentioned help you to function at a relatively normal level every day? Because as it is right now, I can't even walk. :(

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
If your back pain is going into your butt and possibly leg(s) it might be your sciatic nerve. My mom's a nurse and that's what happened when she was pregnant with me - I've been having back pain, though it hasn't been too debilitating. Her tips were to try hot or cold packs.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Mangue posted:

Do those things you mentioned help you to function at a relatively normal level every day? Because as it is right now, I can't even walk. :(

For basic all-day functioning, the recliner helps the most. There's still a low level of pain and I have to move very slowly and stretch a bit when I get up from chairs and such, but I can move about. Of course I have a very sedentary job so ymmv as to how much any of this helps you.

I wish I could offer you more hope :( I have a fairly high pain tolerance but it really just sucks all the time and the only cure is to have the baby.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

hepscat posted:

Are those the liquidy kind of pads? I got some in the hospital and they felt great, but ultimately figured out they were making the chapping worse because they kept my skin moist all the time. Once I stopped using them the nipple cracking healed up in a couple of days.

Ah, I never thought of them as making the problem worse... those first few seconds after you pull them out of the fridge is bliss though.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
We still bedshare at 18 months, have since the start. There are things you can do to make it safer-- make sure the mattress isn't super-sink-in-soft, make sure blankets and pillows aren't up near baby's face. I always slept with my daughter actually on my one arm, her head supported against me and my arm holding her securely. When we were still able to bare nurse (a long story), it was awesome. I wouldn't even really wake up, especially when she got old enough to latch herself. Also, if you're anything like me, you will find that you wake up whenever the baby starts to move. That's still there, but thankfully she doesn't wake up often during the night now.

We do have a sidecarred crib (full sized crib, not a bassinet or cosleeper) and she does sleep in it quite often when she's not sick like she is now, but she invariably ends up in my arms sometime during the night, and I love it. :3: I wanted to bedshare from the start though. I grew up sleeping in my own parents' bed and still have vague but very warm and loving memories of it. As for the sex life, we manage just fine, we have just gotten creative. :D

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
We coslept with the kids from birth. I switched to a lightweight, thin blanket until the baby was older. We have a firm mattress. If you drink or take medication, don't sleep with the baby in your bed. If you're extremely obese, it also isn't safe. You can look up safe cosleeping rules. I'm pretty sure the recommendation is for the baby to at least sleep in the same room for the first year (it might be 6 months - I don't remember exactly).

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks for all the input on the working/not working thing in the last trimester. Honestly, I'm shocked at how quickly I get tired now--I was all right at the beginning of this trimester, which is what made me assume I could work up to my due date, but now everything seems to just zap my energy far more than it should. I think I may end up finishing up the next week at work, as I'll hit 37 weeks at that point, and then spend the rest of my pregnancy at home playing video games like a good goon mother.

Also, I just tested positive for Group B strep. At my appointment I got a small handout that basically just said, "If you test positive, you'll get antibiotics during labor and you and baby should be fine." What I can't seem to get a straight answer on is how long you get those antibiotics? Is it a continuous IV, or is it just a short dose when you get to the hospital and then, like, a booster dose after a few hours or something? We have a birthing center tour later this week so I can ask them what they specifically do then, but I'm impatient and curious NOW.

Lyz--congratulations! He looks adorable :)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Banana Cat posted:

Also, I just tested positive for Group B strep. At my appointment I got a small handout that basically just said, "If you test positive, you'll get antibiotics during labor and you and baby should be fine." What I can't seem to get a straight answer on is how long you get those antibiotics? Is it a continuous IV, or is it just a short dose when you get to the hospital and then, like, a booster dose after a few hours or something? We have a birthing center tour later this week so I can ask them what they specifically do then, but I'm impatient and curious NOW.

I was positive for GBS during my first pregnancy. I gave birth at a birth center and what they did was give me the antibiotics as soon as I went to the birth center and then they would have continued to give them to me every 4 hours if I was still in labor during that time period. I had a really quick labor, so I only got it at the beginning of the labor. I did not have an IV hooked up to me. They put it in my hand and held the bag up until it drained and then they took it away.

At the hospital I believe you usually get an IV anyway so they would just give it to you in that.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
People who are bored and feel guilty about lying about while their bodies say YOU REST NOW during the third trimester:

NOW is the time to read books about babies and sleep. Once you have a baby who will not sleep, you may not have slept enough recently to absorb and retain facts worth a drat. Now's an excellent time to check Happiest Baby on the Block (about soothing newborns) and your sleep book of choice (eg, No-Cry Sleep Solution, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, choose your poison) out of the library.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
I have a few breastfeeding questions. Whenever I feed the baby, I start off on one side and use one of those Medela shells to collect leakage from the other side. My milk has been in for 10 days now and I've been leaking about an ounce per feeding, so I've accumulated more than a half gallon of milk. What I usually do is empty it into a dated breastmilk storage bag in the fridge all day, and at the end of the day, stick the bag in the freezer. Is this wrong? Should I be keeping it in the freezer the whole day and layering the leakage from each feeding on top? I would hate to discard anything I've collected so far, but it wouldn't be the end of the world considering I haven't even pumped at all yet and we aren't planning on introducing bottles for at least another week.

Also, about when did you ladies stop the extreme leakage? Kellymom says supply regulates in 6 to 12 weeks, but I'd really like to believe that I will stop soaking absolutely everything in breastmilk before then!

My baby also seems to get really sleepy during some feedings. I've tried taking his socks and hat off, touching his belly and nudging under his chin, and even holding a cool washcloth to his forehead and/or the bottoms of his feet. Sometimes he just really doesn't want to wake up, and only a diaper change between boobs will do it. Any other tricks to keep him focused on the boob?

ALSO, my husband's family have yet to refer to the baby by his actual name, and instead seem to prefer the nickname we used for him during my pregnancy - I think they don't like the name we picked. I really wish they'd use his real name, but my husband seems to think it'd be over-reacting to say something about it. I'm not sure if I'm over-reacting or not, because my mother-in-law also said several times that our son looked like a used car salesman, so I could just be pissy because of that. I am admittedly super biased, but I've never seen a car salesman who looked this cute :3:

Sorry for the gigantic post. Congrats on your baby, Lyz!

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Dr. Octagon posted:

What I usually do is empty it into a dated breastmilk storage bag in the fridge all day, and at the end of the day, stick the bag in the freezer. Is this wrong?

What you're doing is fine.

quote:

Also, about when did you ladies stop the extreme leakage? Kellymom says supply regulates in 6 to 12 weeks, but I'd really like to believe that I will stop soaking absolutely everything in breastmilk before then!

This can vary a lot. I think supplies are supposed to regulate at 6ish weeks. I leaked a lot more with my last baby than I did with the first two and for a lot longer. It just depends.

Congrats on your baby; he's definitely adorable!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Your baby is super cute!

Some of the tricks I did to keep Cecilia awake enough to keep nursing were to lift her arm up and let it drop back down, and I found that she had one spot on her lower back, like right at the small of her back, that was super sensitive, so if I tickled it really lightly, she'd pick back up on the suckling. They don't have to be wide awake as long as they're awake enough to keep nursing!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Dr. Octagon posted:

I have a few breastfeeding questions. Whenever I feed the baby, I start off on one side and use one of those Medela shells to collect leakage from the other side. My milk has been in for 10 days now and I've been leaking about an ounce per feeding, so I've accumulated more than a half gallon of milk. What I usually do is empty it into a dated breastmilk storage bag in the fridge all day, and at the end of the day, stick the bag in the freezer. Is this wrong? Should I be keeping it in the freezer the whole day and layering the leakage from each feeding on top? I would hate to discard anything I've collected so far, but it wouldn't be the end of the world considering I haven't even pumped at all yet and we aren't planning on introducing bottles for at least another week.

My baby also seems to get really sleepy during some feedings. I've tried taking his socks and hat off, touching his belly and nudging under his chin, and even holding a cool washcloth to his forehead and/or the bottoms of his feet. Sometimes he just really doesn't want to wake up, and only a diaper change between boobs will do it. Any other tricks to keep him focused on the boob?

Your baby is super adorable :3

The way you're collecting milk is fine, like dreamcatckerkwe said.

To stimulate the baby's sucking, the midwife that helped me with breastfeeding showed me how to rub that baby's cheek, right below/next to his ear, where the jawbone starts. I rubbed pretty vigorously, and he would start sucking again. He was pretty uninterested in sucking for the first few days, so that trick helped us a lot.

As for the supply regulation, I can't really remember. Maybe a couple of months to get a lot better, but more than that to go away completely. I donated milk though, so I had an oversupply.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Dear God, the hip pain. I was pretty ache and pain-free til Thursday night, and suddenly my right hip has decided it hates me. I have spent three days in complete agony and have been unable to put any weight on my right hand side. It also feels like I've been kicked in the crotch right now, a horrible dull pain. I'm guessing this is most likely PGP/SPD? Am planning to see the Doctor tomorrow, but worried about what their most likely course of action will be. I know there's no magic cure for this, but anyone managed to find relief beyond the usual pillows and hot water bottle tricks?

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

"Don't forget taking your skin off, because pink works. It's sophisticated and sexy, stands out as springs hottest color."

netally posted:

Dear God, the hip pain. I was pretty ache and pain-free til Thursday night, and suddenly my right hip has decided it hates me. I have spent three days in complete agony and have been unable to put any weight on my right hand side. It also feels like I've been kicked in the crotch right now, a horrible dull pain. I'm guessing this is most likely PGP/SPD? Am planning to see the Doctor tomorrow, but worried about what their most likely course of action will be. I know there's no magic cure for this, but anyone managed to find relief beyond the usual pillows and hot water bottle tricks?

I had some pretty terrible hip and crotch pain. My doctor told me that activity and walking were the best things you can do for it. That's all the medical intervention I received for those problems. As much as I didn't want to be active (because it loving hurt when I was doing it), afterwards I did feel better.

REMINDER: SA MOMS/DADS SECRET SANTA DEADLINE IS TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT! So, if you want to join in on the festivities, now would be a good time to send that e-mail! My username@gmail.com is where you send it! Your giftee's name and information will be sent to you by November 1st!

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?

Dr. Octagon posted:

What I usually do is empty it into a dated breastmilk storage bag in the fridge all day, and at the end of the day, stick the bag in the freezer. Is this wrong? Should I be keeping it in the freezer the whole day and layering the leakage from each feeding on top?

Also, about when did you ladies stop the extreme leakage?

I do storage the same way.

I didn't believe when people told me it gets better at 6 weeks. It really did. I still leak somewhat, but I have found cloth bra pads to be a godsend. I hated the wet diaper feel of the disposables, and I got a pack of 6 at Babies R Us for like $3 with a coupon. I hand wash them and pop them in the dryer for 5 minutes when I run out. I also use a wet bag in my diaper bag to hold them if they get soaked while I am out. I personally find they hold a lot more than the disposable ones as well.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Oh yeah, def. try cloth nursing pads, you might prefer them over the disposable ones. I had two pairs of wool nursing pads (not itchy), and I just put them in a pot of water, turned on the heat and let them boil for a while, then left them on a kitchen towel to dry (wool doesn't shrink if you just leave it alone, it's the movement that shrinks it). Easy and hygienic!

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
Hey guys, got a couple of questions that I'd like your opinions on.

My baby is nearly 4 weeks old (was 4 weeks prem though) and because of a few reasons I'm unfortunately full-time formula feeding. He's putting on weight great though, and is eager to eat so I'm super happy about that.

Now, this may sound silly, but I'm wondering about when to wake him for feeds etc. At the moment he's waking basically 2.5-3 hourly anyway, so that's fine, and in hospital we were told not to let him go past 4 hours but I'm not sure if that was just for the first week or so or what?

If, by some ridiculous chance, he were to start "sleeping through the night" at some point, when is it okay to leave him? I don't want to be depriving him of the food he needs just to enjoy some more sleep because his needs come first obviously. But if he's feeding well and then zonks out at night for 6 hours or something is that going to be okay?? When does it become okay?

Similarly, I've seen you guys talking about the No Cry Sleep Solution, and while I wouldn't try and implement any "sleep schedules" or any of that stuff, again I'm wondering when it's okay to start doing those "routines" before bed etc, and things to help him learn day from night (he's a bit backwards at the moment.)

Gee this baby stuff is hard. :)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

dishonesty posted:

If, by some ridiculous chance, he were to start "sleeping through the night" at some point, when is it okay to leave him? I don't want to be depriving him of the food he needs just to enjoy some more sleep because his needs come first obviously. But if he's feeding well and then zonks out at night for 6 hours or something is that going to be okay?? When does it become okay?

Similarly, I've seen you guys talking about the No Cry Sleep Solution, and while I wouldn't try and implement any "sleep schedules" or any of that stuff, again I'm wondering when it's okay to start doing those "routines" before bed etc, and things to help him learn day from night (he's a bit backwards at the moment.)

You should ask your pediatrician the feeding question. I'm not sure what the guidelines are for premature babies.

I think you can start nighttime routines as soon as you want as long as you aren't doing strict sleep schedules and are following your doctor's advice about feeding times.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
My sister-in-law has preemie twins and I know for her it depends on how well each baby is gaining, as well.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

dishonesty posted:

Hey guys, got a couple of questions that I'd like your opinions on.

My baby is nearly 4 weeks old (was 4 weeks prem though) and because of a few reasons I'm unfortunately full-time formula feeding. He's putting on weight great though, and is eager to eat so I'm super happy about that.

Now, this may sound silly, but I'm wondering about when to wake him for feeds etc. At the moment he's waking basically 2.5-3 hourly anyway, so that's fine, and in hospital we were told not to let him go past 4 hours but I'm not sure if that was just for the first week or so or what?

You can start a bedtime routing (bath, stories, singing) from day one and a clearly defined night environment vs day environment too. For us night means: dark quiet room. No talking, only humming. No eye contact or laughing. Day means: Lots of noise and light. Games whenever she looks at us. Lots of talking and singing and playing.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Eia posted:

People who are bored and feel guilty about lying about while their bodies say YOU REST NOW during the third trimester:

NOW is the time to read books about babies and sleep. Once you have a baby who will not sleep, you may not have slept enough recently to absorb and retain facts worth a drat. Now's an excellent time to check Happiest Baby on the Block (about soothing newborns) and your sleep book of choice (eg, No-Cry Sleep Solution, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, choose your poison) out of the library.

Yes, yes, yes. THIS.

The first six weeks of my daughter's life would have been SO MUCH EASIER if I had read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child before she was born.

Most people can't get applied babycare experience until they have the baby, so this is the time to stock up on all the theory and all the science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

dishonesty posted:

It is! But I found it got easier, not because the problems were solved (there were always new problems) but because they get better & better at giving clear feedback, and you get better at understanding it.

According to Weissbluth, whose science I believe because he has several decades of studies to back him up -- but YMMV, I am not laying down the law for other people here -- baby brains don't start to day/night regulate until 6 weeks after the due date, which will be at 10 weeks old for you. So while it's completely fine to start doing routines immediately, you're not likely to get rid of the day/night confusion until his brain starts doing night sleep organisation at 10 weeks (6 weeks + 4 weeks for the premie).

I can say infinitely more about sleep, if you want to hear it PM me.