Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Hinchu posted:

drat, that's really bad rear end! How large is your team? You guys going commercial with this?
It's just me and a friend, he handles the coding, I handle the graphics, we also have a guy doing the music. At this stage it's just indie, and it probably always will be, but if someone wants to publish it on 3DS/whatever we won't say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxOfS2D
Oct 13, 2011

machinima machine
Been animating with 3ds Max 2011 & CAT for a while — here's what I think is my best work so far, but I'd like to hear if you guys have anything to criticize in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roQ0qmf8374
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrY2kJj1KMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79R-Q57cvlQ

MaxOfS2D fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 14, 2011

Jewel
May 2, 2009

MaxOfS2D posted:

Been animating with 3ds Max 2011 & CAT for a while — here's what I think is my best work so far, but I'd like to hear if you guys have anything to criticize in there.

I like, I like it a lot. The animation is incredibly spot-on to TF2's style, and honestly I think the quality's good enough to get a job at Valve. Keep at it. Show them your videos if you can, maybe apply and see what comes of it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Tw1tchy posted:

I like, I like it a lot. The animation is incredibly spot-on to TF2's style, and honestly I think the quality's good enough to get a job at Valve. Keep at it. Show them your videos if you can, maybe apply and see what comes of it.

It is indeed great.
Max has taught me a lot when it comes to animation with 3DS Max and getting the animations into the Source engine.

Lurian
May 25, 2010
Here's a question I hope someone can help with. I've been working on Flash games for quite a while and I'm at a point where I need to learn to really 'ANIMATE' 2D stuff. For instance, our next line-up is a hack'n'slash, however, I'm not sure what the best method of animating a character in Movie Clips would be.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It depends a lot on the art style, character designs and perspective. Sometimes you can get away with making a lot of symbols and animating it like a paper doll and other times you need to hand draw it frame by frame. Usually I end up with a combination of movie clips and hand drawn animation. Every once in a while I use bones but they are very buggy and look terrible most of the times. In some cases they can look fine and save lots of time.

I usually separate each animation of a character into a single movie clip each so it can be swapped in-game for whatever is needed.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Lurian posted:

Here's a question I hope someone can help with. I've been working on Flash games for quite a while and I'm at a point where I need to learn to really 'ANIMATE' 2D stuff. For instance, our next line-up is a hack'n'slash, however, I'm not sure what the best method of animating a character in Movie Clips would be.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

Like Chernabog said, the visual style of the game will dictate how detailed the animation needs to be. I'm currently working on a game that has tons of animations across a few different characters, so some things I've learned:
  • keep each animation in its own movie clip
  • create super-rough quick drawings of the animations to get the timing down, and let your programmer use those to make sure they'll work correctly in game before you start doing final animations
  • keep the origin point consistent between animations - I put the origin point (the little cross symbol inside of movie clips) between the two feet of all our animations. This allows the programmer to swap out all the animations at the same coordinates, and makes it easier for you to keep things consistent as well.

Don't know if this is what you were looking for, I couldn't tell if you were looking for advice on how to animate in flash, or how to animate things for use in a flash game. Also, I hope that none of these animations are going to have user customizable colors or assets - that is a total bitch and makes the animations take approximately 10 times longer to make than they would normally.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I've been thinking of making a new topic devoted entirely to Flash animation/basic programming but I'm not sure if I should just put it here. :ohdear:

I wanted to include a list of tutorials and online resources for things like drawing vectors, character set-up, lip syncing, basic animation techniques, and all things with Flash animation and gaming.

Would all that be worth a new topic?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I've been thinking of making a new topic devoted entirely to Flash animation/basic programming but I'm not sure if I should just put it here. :ohdear:

I wanted to include a list of tutorials and online resources for things like drawing vectors, character set-up, lip syncing, basic animation techniques, and all things with Flash animation and gaming.

Would all that be worth a new topic?

You could probably submit a post for the OP to amend to the first few posts, then we could preface all flash chatter in the thread with FLASH CHAT...

Or, yeah, new topic. Either way, I'd like to see the resources and stuff.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
I'd just put it in here and amend the OP. This thread doesn't get a huge amount of chatter, and I would probably comment on stuff in this thread if it were posted. It seems pertinent to me.

qvc on the tivo
Mar 23, 2005

Eat your vegetables or I swear I'll start another atheist thread
I've been helping run a monthly animation competition / blog for a while now that might interest a few people in this thread.

Loopdeloop

The idea is people submit short animation loops to a theme, people vote on them and we all meet up at the end of the month at a pub and gush at each other. We've gotten over 100 submissions so far, and while some of them push the boundries of what counts as a loop there's certainly enough awesome traiditonal looping animations. We accept animations from students and people just wanting to animate, but we also get a lot of really pro stuff submitted as well.

I don't mean to pimp my website here (we don't make any money off Loopdeloop and never really plan to), but I think there's a lot of really amazing stuff for animation nerds. Like pretty much everything Felix had done.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Really, really happy with the way these came out:

I used to use 3 frames of animation for walk/run cycles and it makes a world of difference having that 4th one in there, showing that a modicum of effort really does go a long way.

I guess this is really more a pixel art question for .TakaM, but what could I do to spruce these buildings up a bit?

I've been trying to step up my background game this episode to give the audience something pleasing to look at while two characters walk past these buildings spouting exposition. The orange will get knocked out in flash and you'll be able to see into the windows as they pass, allowing for a sort of parallax effect. Do you use any websites for reference when creating backgrounds?

(if these images are too big, or slow the thread down, I'll just link to them)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Haha yes, a 3 frame walk/run cycle is an insane challenge. :p

Your buildings look pretty good already, you might want to tone down the saturation on the green and blue to be a bit more in line with the other buildings. I think the perspective is a bit flat though, you may want to consider projecting the buildings back a little, it could make for a good Double Dragon reference too.

I would also suggest mixing up the brick pattern a bit more, maybe some buildings could use larger bricks, they don't all need to be made with bricks, the shade separating the bricks doesn't always have to be lighter than the bricks, etc. Just try to break up repetition where you spot it. Also cracks and other details go a long way.

As for websites, the spriters resource is probably the biggest collection of pixel art from pretty much every game worth looking at.

I really like your series btw, it's a great idea and I look forward to more episodes. :)

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Thank you very much.

The image I used for reference for those store fronts was this one.

It's the only reason the faces of those stores are flush with each other, but I see what you mean and I'll definitely add some depth to them.

Thankfully, my brick patterns are just blended layers over flat colors, so swapping in a cinderblock pattern or adjusting the the size should be a cinch.

I'll add some cracks to the concrete facades as well as some muck closer to the side walk... And I guess a sidewalk...

Thanks for the reference, checking 'em out now.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Don't know if this is exactly the right place for this, but if anyone can point me in the right direction for help that would be awesome!

We're starting to learn After Effects in my classes, and I'm finding it a little intimidating and good, understandable tutorials seem to be completely absent right now (at least for what we're doing). Basically it's a ten second emergency icon/news ticker type project and I'm trying to animate a circular icon with a sort of concentric-circle 'ping' effect (I have different frames of this in Illustrator). Basically what I've been doing so far is importing all the frames into AE, and animating it over the course of a couple of seconds by simply turning off the opacity of each layer every half second or so. I can't even figure out how to get this to loop or what else to do with it after that, because I get the feeling that there is a much simpler way to do this and I just can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I just don't understand AE :(

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

redjenova posted:

Basically it's a ten second emergency icon/news ticker type project and I'm trying to animate a circular icon with a sort of concentric-circle 'ping' effect (I have different frames of this in Illustrator).

I think I know what you mean.

The easiest way would be to create a solid, then go Effect > Generate > Radio Waves. In the Effect Controls you get options for lifespan, frequency, fade-out time of the circles, etc.

raging bullwinkle fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 5, 2011

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
What makes a Miyazaki film a Miyazaki film? Like, Animation is a collaborative effort, so what is the reason a film can be "a Miyazaki film" you know? What does he do that makes it 'his creation,' you know?

Dumb question, sorry.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Griff M. posted:

What makes a Miyazaki film a Miyazaki film? Like, Animation is a collaborative effort, so what is the reason a film can be "a Miyazaki film" you know? What does he do that makes it 'his creation,' you know?

Dumb question, sorry.

Miyazaki films tend to take a slower, more careful approach to it's story telling, as well as a general attempt to make the location itself a character. The films tend to also have a slower pace than your average post-40s Disney films. The characters tend to be less handsome/pretty than the main characters of a lot of other animated films, Japanese or otherwise. They tend to take place in the countryside or a small town. If I recall correctly they're usually based off of a source material and are not original stories.

As for the process itself, Miyazaki has been said to have a very, very tight grip on his animators, and demand more than just about any studio from his workers. I recall hearing him have a Chuck Jonsian death grip on the output of his animators in his early days of directing. I'd say his willingness to let a scene linger for as long as it needs to is what differentiates him from any other animation director working now.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Griff M. posted:

Dumb question, sorry.

What stands out to me the most is the way the characters are directed and animated, especially children. There is a level of detail there that I haven't really seen before in other animated films. In Ponyo, the way Sosuke puts his shoes on, or in Spirited Away how carefully Chihiro (sp?) side-steps around the coal dust creatures. The films take time to linger and let you soak in the personalities of the characters.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Griff M. posted:

Dumb question, sorry.

I think this is the answer you're looking for:

wikipedia posted:

Miyazaki takes a leading role when creating his films, frequently serving as both writer and director.

Basically, he gets to call his films "Miyazaki Films" in the same way that Spike Lee can say his movies are a "Spike Lee Joint" and not a "Spike Lee + every actor in the movie + a few writers + all the editors and everyone else Joint"

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Alrighty, cool. Thank you!

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

So I finished my BFA thesis animation a few months ago and realized yesterday that I never posted the revised version online. Since I posted it in this thread last, I re-did every single aspect but the puppet animation.

>For your viewing pleasure<

I wanted to take inspiration from a childhood belief I had-- I used to think that my drawings would come to life when I wasn't looking. I used a combination of stop motion, puppet animation, and traditional animation on paper. I apologize in advance for the sound... I definitely don't have a career as a foley artist in my future. Having had it finished for a while, I can see a lot of things I would do differently now or change altogether. But as it stands, I'm pretty happy with it!

9nine fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 6, 2011

felat
Apr 27, 2008

I absolutely love it! The timing really fits with the story and I wasn't all that bugged by the sounds you used. Great piece of work!

Here's a little something me and a couple of buddies did for a class. It was not a stop-motion class and this is the only stop-motion exercise we have ever done.

http://vimeo.com/23120064

And our sounds really does suck as we took a track on freesound.org at the last minute.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Pitching to Frederator this week.

Me and my partner have been at this since August, but it's finally arrived.

Lock and load, boys. It's time to get...funky.

This is how I feel right now.

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
Does anyone have any recommendations on schools to go to for traditional animation? My girlfriend is running out of gen-eds to take at our community college and we've been having trouble finding schools that don't look like degree mills.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
CalArts and SCAD are two great places. Very competitive though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

This and more stuff:

http://megaswf.com/serve/1002817

These are great mostly because your really know how to use color. The animation could use some work but the colors give it an already polished feel.

MaxOfS2D posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roQ0qmf8374
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrY2kJj1KMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79R-Q57cvlQ
[/url]

THESE ARE AMAZING. Awesome character animation. Looks way better than a lot of professional stuff, like that Green Lantern CG series. Ugh.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 12, 2011

spicybackpain
Mar 4, 2010
Hey everyone, I made a couple cartoons recently about Remembrance Day, Veterans Day, and the future of the commercialization of both - check them out and let me know what you think:

Remembrance Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEBMGWa9bz8

Veterans Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?7AZZ77O2gNA

BaShildy
Nov 12, 2004

Hollywood is filled with bad ideas, and so am I

spicybackpain posted:

Hey everyone, I made a couple cartoons recently about Remembrance Day, Veterans Day, and the future of the commercialization of both - check them out and let me know what you think:

Remembrance Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEBMGWa9bz8

Veterans Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?7AZZ77O2gNA

Content wise: I didn't think it was funny. This is SA so I've laughed at some pretty offensive things over the years, but these just seemed a bit juvenile.

Animation wise: You put effort into your production values, and had multiple settings, a decent voice-over, and was able to do both b/w and color.

I'd like to see something else from you in the future, but not a big fan of the offensiveness for offensiveness sake. I'd recommend something more subtle and poignant, or just a different subject altogether.

spicybackpain
Mar 4, 2010

BaShildy posted:

Content wise: I didn't think it was funny. This is SA so I've laughed at some pretty offensive things over the years, but these just seemed a bit juvenile.

Animation wise: You put effort into your production values, and had multiple settings, a decent voice-over, and was able to do both b/w and color.

I'd like to see something else from you in the future, but not a big fan of the offensiveness for offensiveness sake. I'd recommend something more subtle and poignant, or just a different subject altogether.

Thanks for the review - I hope the other toons I have coming down the pipe will be more up your alley. I'll keep you posted!

BaShildy
Nov 12, 2004

Hollywood is filled with bad ideas, and so am I

spicybackpain posted:

Thanks for the review - I hope the other toons I have coming down the pipe will be more up your alley. I'll keep you posted!

Yeah, definitely keep the thread updated. You obviously know how to animate so I think a lot of us want to see how you'll grow and get a unique style. I'm just learning and handling only the production side of shorts so I have a lot of respect for the people here who are doing most of these as a one man crew.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Man everyone's making awesome stuff in here.
Here's a really basic, simple and especially very pointless animation (my first hand drawn so be gentle) >_>

Edit
Now contains more frames, blood and gore!

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 16, 2011

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Half an hour till my Frederator pitch.

Holy gently caress.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Griff M. posted:

Half an hour till my Frederator pitch.

Holy gently caress.

Go man, go!

\/\/\/ You gotta believe!

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 26, 2011

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
After pitch: "This was the worst thing anyone has ever presented. I have not only shamed myself, but my children and parents. I can never go outside again."

The next day: "poo poo, I'm feeling pretty good about this."

Funny how that goes, huh.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Welp, I'm back from a self-requested ban. I think it's time for a new avatar. What should I make for it?
(I used to have the headbanging T. rex)

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Hey, I'm a newbie animator. I just learned how to use Flash, and made a short animation test. Criticism/opinions on quality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qos8GxAhDk

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

neonnoodle posted:

Welp, I'm back from a self-requested ban. I think it's time for a new avatar. What should I make for it?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I hate books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

neonnoodle posted:

A turtle with a cold.