Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Mix up Tomb Raider and Gears of War. It's a third person cover shooter with platforming and climbing.

You're a treasure hunter going after an ancient treasure. Sadly, some other people want it as well so you have to kill lots of mercenaries that are in your way! Then it turns out that the other dude is really evil so all your killing becomes justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
Sort of thing I like, defo. Would i be able to get instantly involved jumping into installment 3 or would I have to read up on 1 or 2?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Rankine Over Gash posted:

...let me say that the original Metal Gear Solid on PS1 is the best video game of all time. This is all

Have you tried the new Deus Ex game?

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.

Kly posted:

Have you tried the new Deus Ex game?

Not played anyone of them to be honest. I am a bit of a simpleton with my gaming - I like running about shooting people online, but single player I like the intrigue and adventure, like the MGS series (although I didn't get too far on MGS 3, too hard) and Red Dead Redemption.

Reading this up on Unchartered 3 it looks really, really good. Might have to ask for this for Xmas.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Don't get the console version of Battlefield 3. The whole appeal of the game is the huge 64 player maps and next gen graphics that make it the best looking game out there right now. It's a pretty night and day difference between the two platforms, to the point where I really don't recommend the console version at all, unless you have a large group of friends to play it with on there, or your PC can't handle it.

Aside from connectivity issues that EA is aware of BF3 is fine on consoles, and it looks fantastic on my TV. If someone doesn't have a good gaming computer and wants to play it then they'd be fine by picking it up for PS3. Yeah I'd rather have 64 player battles but the 12 on 12 matches are still fun and tactical, the game does a great job of rewarding teamwork and you're never far from the action (unless you bail out of your jet/helicopter at the edge of the map).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Not played anyone of them to be honest. I am a bit of a simpleton with my gaming - I like running about shooting people online, but single player I like the intrigue and adventure, like the MGS series (although I didn't get too far on MGS 3, too hard) and Red Dead Redemption.

In that case you should get Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Don't get the console version of Battlefield 3. The whole appeal of the game is the huge 64 player maps and next gen graphics that make it the best looking game out there right now.

People keep saying the maps are too small for 64 players and that they prefer 32 or 24 player servers.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Sort of thing I like, defo. Would i be able to get instantly involved jumping into installment 3 or would I have to read up on 1 or 2?

At least play 2, but there's a double pack of the first two games.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I said come in! posted:

Don't get the console version of Battlefield 3.
Counterpoint: DO get the console version of Battlefield 3. It is awesome and fun.

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

the truth posted:

Thank you. Will look into it :)

Feenix posted:

Counterpoint: DO get the console version of Battlefield 3. It is awesome and fun.

Well, poo poo. Now I don't know WHAT to believe.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the truth posted:

Yeah, do not skip 2

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I prefered Bad Company 2 on console rather than PC just because the PC version was so full of snipers which I personally find quite annoying, so I ended up having much more fun with the game on PS3.

Regarding Battlefield 3 though, I found the beta really underwhelming and hated the map that they used. I'll probably give the game a pass and wait for Bad Company 3 :shobon:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MUFFlNS posted:

I prefered Bad Company 2 on console rather than PC just because the PC version was so full of snipers which I personally find quite annoying, so I ended up having much more fun with the game on PS3.

Regarding Battlefield 3 though, I found the beta really underwhelming and hated the map that they used. I'll probably give the game a pass and wait for Bad Company 3 :shobon:

The beta was really awful. The full game is awesome because you get play it on proper Battlefield maps. Battlefield is all about huge open maps with lots of players on it. You liked MAG didn't you? Samething.

I don't consider Bad Company a proper Battlefield, it's more of a watered down version designed for consoles to begin with.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

MUFFlNS posted:

That is by far the worst map in the game and this is one of those rare instances where the beta actually doesn't represent the final product well at all. It's easily the most impressive shooter in a long time and if you enjoy the FPS genre you should definitely pick it up. I've never had so many moments in a game where I've had to just stop shooting and stare at the action unfolding in front of me because of how incredible it looked. I am playing on PC though, not that the console version is bad, but after playing it on both the PC version is definitely better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Ooh yeah, and this is a must own game.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Can you guys tell me how the maps in the retail game are different? The things I disliked about the beta were:

-The outside area was quite flat and too open in my opinion, which didn't really make for a fun experience to me. I liked how dense levels were in Bad Company 2 and being presented with the opposite kind of level design in the beta was really disappointing.

-The inside areas were essentially long corridoors, which I also found really unfun since gameplay would devolve into a war of attrition since flanking opportunities were either minimal or non-existant.

Comparatively, I can't think of a map in Bad Company 2 which I didn't find to be really fun to fight on. This is something that turned me off Modern Warfare 3 as well, since I thought the level design in Black Ops was superb but seeing videos of people playing MW3 where it's essentially narrow corridoors that will promote camping really puts me off.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

Can you guys tell me how the maps in the retail game are different? The things I disliked about the beta were:

-The outside area was quite flat and too open in my opinion, which didn't really make for a fun experience to me. I liked how dense levels were in Bad Company 2 and being presented with the opposite kind of level design in the beta was really disappointing.

-The inside areas were essentially long corridoors, which I also found really unfun since gameplay would devolve into a war of attrition since flanking opportunities were either minimal or non-existant.

Comparatively, I can't think of a map in Bad Company 2 which I didn't find to be really fun to fight on. This is something that turned me off Modern Warfare 3 as well, since I thought the level design in Black Ops was superb but seeing videos of people playing MW3 where it's essentially narrow corridoors that will promote camping really puts me off.

You liked that Arica Harbor map which was literally a giant open tunnel clogged with dust and bloom but complain about the tunnels on Metro? :psyduck:

Best thing about Metro is that it has some of the only areas of the entire game in which you don't spend your time getting killed by people impossible to see thanks to the constant sun in your eyes or clouds of dust or uhhh water on the camera or any other thing the wizards at DICE could think up to obscure your vision.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I know I am about a decade late for this (And picking the worst time between battlefield 3, UC3 and MW3), but are there any goons that would be up for playing some Escalation mode in Transformers: War for Cybertron? My PSN is the same as my username here.
I would ask in the game thread but it seems it no longer exists.

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

I've got two terrible newbie questions so I apologise in advance once more.

1 - I can't really be bothered to read the Black Ops megathreads but do SA goons play together in parties on XBox/PS3 and shout obscenities and memes into headsets? It would be horrendously cringeworthy but to at least try it would make me feel about ten percent happier.

2 - just saw an advert on tv for the Zumba fitness game for Wii and a google reveals you can get it for the PS3. The girlfriend has said she'd like to play it, we're both trying to get something resembling fitness levels, but I gave my Wii away to my mother about a year ago because I simply fell out of love with the gimmick of ACTUALLY moving. Would I feel this way in the future if I bought the PS3 Move package? I would like to do some of the fitness games and maybe one of the fighting ones too. If they had a cricket game I wouldn't get off it!

Thanks again.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

I've got two terrible newbie questions so I apologise in advance once more.

1 - I can't really be bothered to read the Black Ops megathreads but do SA goons play together in parties on XBox/PS3 and shout obscenities and memes into headsets? It would be horrendously cringeworthy but to at least try it would make me feel about ten percent happier.

I have not played anything online with goons (well, aside from some browser games) but I am under the impression that they (we) are generally chill people and realize when memes cease to be funny. Speaking in lolcats is probatable here, remember, and if nothing else that fact alone probably tempers/reflects the attitudes of frequent posters. You'll probably get shouts of "gently caress!" but seldom a blue streak.

quote:

2 - just saw an advert on tv for the Zumba fitness game for Wii and a google reveals you can get it for the PS3. The girlfriend has said she'd like to play it, we're both trying to get something resembling fitness levels, but I gave my Wii away to my mother about a year ago because I simply fell out of love with the gimmick of ACTUALLY moving. Would I feel this way in the future if I bought the PS3 Move package? I would like to do some of the fitness games and maybe one of the fighting ones too. If they had a cricket game I wouldn't get off it!

Thanks again.

If you decide the purchase is worth it then Black Friday is right around the corner. Your love of cricket leads me to believe you aren't part of my hemisphere, so things may be different, but it can be worth staying up til midnight on Thanksgiving and shopping online.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Playing with goons in any game is always far better. The only thing that beats it is playing with real friends.

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

Discount Viscount posted:

If you decide the purchase is worth it then Black Friday is right around the corner. Your love of cricket leads me to believe you aren't part of my hemisphere, so things may be different, but it can be worth staying up til midnight on Thanksgiving and shopping online.

Thanks for your reply, but this has stumped me. It IS late here in Blighty, but I don't follow. A quick google reveals that we are, indeed, oceans apart.

So, what do you reckon, would my boredom with the Wii be reflected in a PS3 Move deal? Is it essentially the same thing?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Thanks for your reply, but this has stumped me. It IS late here in Blighty, but I don't follow. A quick google reveals that we are, indeed, oceans apart.

So, what do you reckon, would my boredom with the Wii be reflected in a PS3 Move deal? Is it essentially the same thing?

If you got bored with the Wii controls, the Move isn't gonna do you many favors. Don't bother with it.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Just to expand on what Taurus Oxford says: Have you played any of the Wii shooters? The PS Move is basically a more accurate Wii-mote.

What the PS Move does have going for it is that it has first-party support from Sony for it's main franchises shooters like Killzone 3, Resistance 3 and Infamous 2 (which is getting a patch), and also supports other Sony party games like Singstar and even Little Big Planet 2.

Good 3rd party Move titles would be No More Heroes and House of the Dead: Overkill, both of which have been on the Wii but have been ported over with high definition graphics and extra content.

The only problem I have with the Move Controller is that if I'm playing console shooters I like using a controller more, but for some people it's a lot more intutitive.

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

I played the Wii Sports quite a lot but got bored. My mother since got WiiFit and I actually really enjoy that when I visit her. I reckon I could enjoy a fitness game or games if I stuck to them appropriately.

The only shooter game I had was Call of Duty World at War and KINDA enjoyed it, but found it a bit haphazard in terms of both graphics and gameplay.

I did see Time Crisis is available for Move. Might be worth it just for that and the nostalgic trip.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Time Crisis: Razing Storm is a really good deal for the price. You get three rail shooters for like $40: Time Crisis 4, Razing Storm, and Deadstorm Pirates.

The Move really found its place in rail shooters, a lot of the really good ones on Wii have HD remakes on it.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I actually platinumed Deadspace:Extraction and would be willing to do it all over again. One of the best lightgun games I have played recently.

Just wish capcom would port RE:UC/DC to move.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

Scyron posted:

I actually platinumed Deadspace:Extraction and would be willing to do it all over again. One of the best lightgun games I have played recently.

Incidentally, Dead Space: Extraction has the greatest title for a Platinum trophy of any PS3 game.

I love lightgun games, am really looking forward to House of the Dead: Overkill. Have to say that I find the Move to be much less accurate than the Wiimote though, it seems a lot floatier.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Not played anyone of them to be honest.

If you liked the MGS games I think it's safe to say you'd enjoy Deus Ex: Human Revolution quite a bit. It's basically MGS in first person with a less stupid plot.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Anyone on the fence should pick up Mighty Flip Champs. I've stayed away from Minis, thinking they would be lovely ports from DS Ware and iOS, but this one is great. The pixelated graphics make the upscaling very tolerable. That said, I bought it because I broke both arms in a motorcycle accident and only have basic use of one hand right now. Does anyone know of other PSN games (excluding the PS Classics RPGs, I have all those) that can be played primarily with one hand using an arcade joystick (basically anything where moving and pushing a button at the same time isn't required)?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Everyone should do this, my god does it own

Also, I had to laugh at the Final Fantasy 27 poster in the Singapore dorm. Squenix has a good sense of humor. :v:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Top games played around the world on PS3 systems connected to PSN, from the Playstation app on Facebook, in number of countries that have the game in their top 5 list. Ties are broken by average rank.

1. FIFA 12 - 54 countries
2. Battlefield 3 - 50 countries
3. Call of Duty Black Ops - 45 countries
4. Gran Turismo 5 - 31 countries
5. Batman: Arkham City - 30 countries

6. Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - 15 countries
7. Dark Souls - 10 countries

Other games showing up in under 10 countries each in no order:
Modern Warfare 2, FIFA 11, GTA IV, Pro Evolution Soccer 11, NHL 12, Uncharted 2, Driver San Francisco, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Tales of Xillia, Dynasty Warriors 6/7 Chinese ver., Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Madden NFL 12, The Idolm@aster 2, Resident Evil 5, Mortal Kombat, NBA 2K12, Winning Eleven 2012, Uncharted 3, Ace Combat Assault Horizon

For now, a Battlefield game is more popular than a Call of Duty game.

Some countries in Europe already have Uncharted 3 released.

Batman Arkham City popped up in more places, while Pro Evo 12, FIFA 11, and Gran Turismo 5 dropped off in a bunch of places.

Top 5 in the places talked about here:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, Japan's list is more different than the rest of them than usual. This is why they are always talking about Galapagos-ization over there.

edit: I guess everyone is up for some soccer though, but in different games.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 31, 2011

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Agrias120 posted:

Anyone on the fence should pick up Mighty Flip Champs.

They drat well should, especially while it's still 2 bucks for the next couple days. If you like puzzle games such as Adventures of Lolo or Portal it's really a no-brainer. I finished the last stage a couple days ago, and there's still some replayability in trying to clear every stage quickly for the S ranks, especially since I've forgotten the precise steps needed to finish the earlier stages since I've not played them in a while. Jake Kaufman's soundtrack is another winner, too, and available for streaming and download here.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Japan actually likes the new Ace Combat? Huh.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

Does anyone know of other PSN games (excluding the PS Classics RPGs, I have all those) that can be played primarily with one hand using an arcade joystick (basically anything where moving and pushing a button at the same time isn't required)?

I think Pac-Mac Championship Edition DX would fit that bill pretty well.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Can't get enough sports games and first person shooters. We must have all the sports games and first person shooters.

Nobody should make anything but sports games and first person shooters. gently caress, just combine the two genres and cause a bro overload. A broverload.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jamesman posted:

Can't get enough sports games and first person shooters. We must have all the sports games and first person shooters.

Nobody should make anything but sports games and first person shooters. gently caress, just combine the two genres and cause a bro overload. A broverload.

Call of Duty: Football Ops

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Call of Duty: Football Ops

Or the sequel. Madden Warfare 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

X_ThePerfect posted: