Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Has anyone made a guide for which levels are good for summoning in certain areas? There always seems to be someone posting about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

SgtSteel91 posted:

Has anyone made a guide for which levels are good for summoning in certain areas? There always seems to be someone posting about this.

This is a bit old but seems pretty accurate.

http://i.imgur.com/lEEAf.jpg

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Here's a rough guide up to O&S from what I've seen:
code:
 1-10: Gargoyles
10-15: Gargoyles, Capra
15-20: Gargoyles, Capra, Gaping Dragon
20-25: Capra, Gaping Dragon
25-30: Gaping Dragon, Quelaag
30-35: Quelaag, Iron Golem
35-40: Quelaag, Iron Golem, O&S
40-45: Iron Golem, O&S
45-50: O&S

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

So what is wrong with Anor Londo exactly? I mean the part with the two archers was some pretty dumb poo poo but I thought the rest of it was cool. Lots of people seem to hate it though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cinroth posted:

This should go into the OP if you ask me.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kongming posted:

So what is wrong with Anor Londo exactly? I mean the part with the two archers was some pretty dumb poo poo but I thought the rest of it was cool. Lots of people seem to hate it though.

Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot and actually didn't have problems with any of it (not even the archers). That and Sen's Fortress have been my two favourite areas so far.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is it trying to troll people with the 'Kill Smough first' thing? I thought that made it stupid difficult?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Roumba posted:

Is it trying to troll people with the 'Kill Smough first' thing? I thought that made it stupid difficult?

It's because most people want Ornstein's armour/soul so they want to kill him second, so the host might be annoyed if you take him out first.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where in the world can I find the armor this guy is wearing? Especially the skull hood. Also, this taunt. I want everything in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgCqg0NRFY&feature=related

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

NESguerilla posted:

Where in the world can I find the armor this guy is wearing? Especially the skull hood. Also, this taunt. I want everything in this video.

The Armor is Darkwraith armor Ornstein armor and Darkwraith helm. By joining the covenant, you'll have access to their weaponry and armor.

The dancing jig is actually off the Channeller's Trident that you get off killing them. Takes an awful lot of durability away, and the trident itself needs like 20 INT to strike people normally.

It's recommended you use the Item discovery ring as you go through Duke's Archives. Trident is a rare drop, and although they respawn, there's like three of them.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 30, 2011

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so I'm currently SL33, just took out the gaping dragon, I think I'm about to just assist some people for a while but was trying to figure out what weapon and armor upgrades I should be hunting for before heading into Blight Town. I'm still using the drake sword and mostly heavy leather armor.

Here are my stats: vitality-18, endurance-20, strength-16, dexterity-14, intelligence-10, faith-12.

I guess I'm more just confused by the upgrade system and don't want to dump a ton of shards into upgrading the wrong weapon if it's only going to end up being marginally better than the drake sword.

Is there a weapon I can grab somewhere in my level that will be worth upgrading over the drake sword? I'm at a good spot with endurance and vitality so most of my points for a while will be going into strength and dexterity.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Elysiume posted:

Here's a rough guide up to O&S from what I've seen:
code:
 1-10: Gargoyles
10-15: Gargoyles, Capra
15-20: Gargoyles, Capra, Gaping Dragon
20-25: Capra, Gaping Dragon
25-30: Gaping Dragon, Quelaag
30-35: Quelaag, Iron Golem
35-40: Quelaag, Iron Golem, O&S
40-45: Iron Golem, O&S
45-50: O&S

Cinroth posted:

Sweet.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
People sure send hurtful messages after you kill them multiple times with Tranquil Walk/Strong Magic Shield/Fog Ring/ Dark Wood Grain ring :(

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
I know it's unglamorous when you compare it to the fancy Lightning Zweihanders and so on that everyone's running around with, but the club (the one the deprived starts with) with some standard upgrades and high strength is a surprisingly nice weapon.

One shotting the lower new londo darkwraiths with a 2 handed strong attack with mine, and remember, it's a small, pretty fast wieldy little thing, that can still have magic weapon and so on applied.. Also, has it's uses in pvp, last thing people seem to expect is to get beaten to death with a bit of wood, and generally don't take you as seriously as they would one of the more cookie cutter weapons, at least until you get a hit in.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Relin posted:

People sure send hurtful messages after you kill them multiple times with Tranquil Walk/Strong Magic Shield/Fog Ring/ Dark Wood Grain ring :(
I don't get mad when people use one of those, but when you're using a glitched skill, the most overpowered PvP item in the game, and a really obnoxious PvP skill, you should get obnoxious messages.

The only time I don't think people should ever complain about getting killed is in the forest. It's so easy to not get invaded in the forest. When I invade people in rapid succession and they complain every time, I just don't understand it. Stop unhollowing

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

NESguerilla posted:

Ornstein chest, Darkwraith helm and Channeler's Trident RT/R2.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

MMD3 posted:

Is there a weapon I can grab somewhere in my level that will be worth upgrading over the drake sword? I'm at a good spot with endurance and vitality so most of my points for a while will be going into strength and dexterity.

This is just according to my playstyle, but the halberd is a good choice for taking down regular enemies if you enjoy maintaining the ideal range and stabbing them before they ever do anything to you. I found Black Knight weapons to be leagues better than the drake sword and most weapons, but Black Knights don't actually respawn, so it's down to luck that they drop anything. Until the end of the game

If all else fails, you can go for elemental spears, because their damage remains the same, even when striking while guarding, which i guess is why Lightning spear is so great.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 30, 2011

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Healbot posted:

Ornstein chest, Darkwraith helm and Channeler's Trident RT/R2.

The gloves and boots are also Darkwraith. Once upgraded, the set is pretty good for its weight, but the poise is middling.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
To the guy struggling to get back up out of the Great Hollow, the lesson to take away from that would be to never, ever go down there until you have the ability to warp.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Brian Fellows posted:

To the guy struggling to get back up out of the Great Hollow, the lesson to take away from that would be to never, ever go down there until you have the ability to warp.
The lesson is don't go down unless you want to die. I wanted the Cloranthy Ring, some TT, and to get the achievement for talking to the dragon. I just did my stuff and walked into a lake.

Every time I play this character I get so, so mad that I didn't get Priscilla's tail dagger. That's the only reason I went into that drat place, and now I can't get it unless I go into NG+. I'd read that she became visible at 25-50% HP, but she was always invisible, so I never got to see her drat HP bar. That dagger was the only thing I wanted from that entire world!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Fargin Icehole posted:

This is just according to my playstyle, but the halberd is a good choice for taking down regular enemies if you enjoy maintaining the ideal range and stabbing them before they ever do anything to you. I found Black Knight weapons to be leagues better than the drake sword and most weapons, but Black Knights don't actually respawn, so it's down to luck that they drop anything. Until the end of the game

If all else fails, you can go for elemental spears, because their damage remains the same, even when striking while guarding, which i guess is why Lightning spear is so great.

for upgrading a spear should I be starting with a winged spear or just a regular spear? does it matter?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

MMD3 posted:

for upgrading a spear should I be starting with a winged spear or just a regular spear? does it matter?

Well you get a free lightning spear in sens fortress. If you really want a winged spear, then go for it, though. I seem to recall winged being a bit better but with higher required stats. Partisan seems pretty good too because the R2 is a horizontal swipe instead of a forward thrust.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I think I'm going to trade in my 360 Dark Souls for the PS3 one. I know online is messed up and all, but spending 2 hours sitting at SL45 with the Cat Covenant Ring and only getting one invasion... Sucks.

On an unrelated side note, has anyone else gotten occasional white rings hovering a little bit above the ground? I dismissed it as a targeting reticle glitch the first time I saw it, but maybe I'm wrong.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Those are miracles casted from other people on your network. If you cast a miracle next to it, supposedly it's more powerful.

I have a feeling you have to have a talisman or miracle equiped to see them though, because I never have.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do people just not summon for the gaping dragon? I've had my sign near the fire for like 20 minutes and nothing. I'm 22 which is just about what that jolly cooperation picture shows.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I've had the same problem, I got more hits for quelaag than gaping.

That's when the red orb comes in handy, I'd have my sign down and get some +1 estus so I knew that people were human. That's when I'd kick in the invasions. This'll teach you to not summon me... I'll get my humanity one way or another!:argh: Then I twist my Dick Dastardly mustache as I Darkhand-Lifedrain them

darkhand fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 30, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alteisen posted:

Do people just not summon for the gaping dragon? I've had my sign near the fire for like 20 minutes and nothing. I'm 22 which is just about what that jolly cooperation picture shows.
20 minutes is normal to wait. I've waited up to 70 for an assist. J...jolly...cooperation... :negative:

Gaping Dragon may be slow because he's a quite easy boss, especially with Solaire and maybe Lautrec.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MMD3 posted:

I honestly don't think it matters. Play about with each one and see what animations/style you prefer, but really any elemental upgrade will make a weapon incredibly effective against anything. Of course spears are a bit sucky in PVP due to lag problems and you'd want something with a wide arc, like the claymore for that, but for PVE just get whatever.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
I'm on my second playthrough now, and I have to say this game is a lot more fun when you embrace the multiplayer. My first time through I did everything solo and only became a human when I needed to kindle a bonfire. For this playthrough I decided to keep my level low and help people cheese the early bosses. I'm now killing the gargoyles for people with me +15 pyromancy flame wearing nothing but the ridiculous Xanthous crown.

The only problem I've had so far is that ever since I joined the sunlight bros covenant I've seen my summons completely drop off. I've gone from getting summoned every 10-20 minutes after my white sign was placed to getting summoned every 30-60 minutes if I'm lucky when I use the 'gold' white sign. Does anyone else have this problem? Are people just afraid of summoning gold phantoms?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Holy poo poo.

O&S, solo, hallowed, just doing attempts to get a feel for the fight before I figure I'll burn humanity to call for help.

Attempt 4, I win. Killed Smough first. What followed was 15 minutes playing cat and mouse with mega-Ornstein trying to find the perfect windows to first lob fireballs and then slooowly chip away at his health with my lightning weapon mainhand.

I was down to zero estus from twenty with a sliver of health after loving up a dodge roll past one of his thrown bolts. I was literally a handful of frames from death as his next attack was going off when I landed the last hit.

Gonna wear his armor forever. I don't care if there's better stuff.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Primetime posted:

I'm on my second playthrough now, and I have to say this game is a lot more fun when you embrace the multiplayer. My first time through I did everything solo and only became a human when I needed to kindle a bonfire. For this playthrough I decided to keep my level low and help people cheese the early bosses. I'm now killing the gargoyles for people with me +15 pyromancy flame wearing nothing but the ridiculous Xanthous crown.

The only problem I've had so far is that ever since I joined the sunlight bros covenant I've seen my summons completely drop off. I've gone from getting summoned every 10-20 minutes after my white sign was placed to getting summoned every 30-60 minutes if I'm lucky when I use the 'gold' white sign. Does anyone else have this problem? Are people just afraid of summoning gold phantoms?

It looks similiar to the orange soap signs, I've doubled back to to summon sunlight bros cause I thought it was another praise the sun message at first glance.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Meiteron posted:

Holy poo poo.

O&S, solo, hallowed, just doing attempts to get a feel for the fight before I figure I'll burn humanity to call for help.

Attempt 4, I win. Killed Smough first. What followed was 15 minutes playing cat and mouse with mega-Ornstein trying to find the perfect windows to first lob fireballs and then slooowly chip away at his health with my lightning weapon mainhand.

I was down to zero estus from twenty with a sliver of health after loving up a dodge roll past one of his thrown bolts. I was literally a handful of frames from death as his next attack was going off when I landed the last hit.

Gonna wear his armor forever. I don't care if there's better stuff.
I love his armor, except the helmet. The Mask of Velka, luckily, looks amazing with Ornstein's armor (and a lot of other armors).

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
So my SL2 run has completely ground to a halt against the Four Kings. Using iron flesh and then beating on them with my lighting spear +2/casting fire whip with my pyromancy flame +15 has managed to get them down to about 1/4th health. However by that point I'm out of charges on iron flesh, and just get overwhelmed by 3 or 4 kings. Next time I play I'm going to forge the Crystal Ring shield and maybe grind up my spear/flame more, does anyone that's managed this have any tips beyond that?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Put the grass crest shield on your back while you 2 hand your spear. Now that I think about it, I used the Quel Furysword. But I was SL18 :v:

Is fire whip even that good? Don't you only get like 3 casts? Have you tried (greater) combustion?

Swipe with spear and use fire while your stamina regens.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 30, 2011

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

MMD3 posted:

I'm a big fan of the Partizan due to it's R2 swing attack.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rollie the Guar posted:

So my SL2 run has completely ground to a halt against the Four Kings. Using iron flesh and then beating on them with my lighting spear +2/casting fire whip with my pyromancy flame +15 has managed to get them down to about 1/4th health. However by that point I'm out of charges on iron flesh, and just get overwhelmed by 3 or 4 kings. Next time I play I'm going to forge the Crystal Ring shield and maybe grind up my spear/flame more, does anyone that's managed this have any tips beyond that?

Lingering Dragoncrest ring

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

waspinator posted:

Lingering Dragoncrest ring
I don't know about him, but I'm usually wearing Havel's armor, and taking off Havel's Ring means I'll be too slow to actually close the distance.

edit: Apparently this character can do it with EK top, clocking in at 48.7/54.0, which just means I'll be slow as hell. Might work, though?

Drake Lake
Aug 7, 2003

I'm a respected community leader! A shining pillar of moral strength!
My friend got this game recently, but he has a really weird controller issue. For whatever reason, items get used when he didn't push a button, so sometimes he might be fighting an enemy and he'll suddenly drink an Estus Flask, or he might switch weapons/two-handed style when his fingers weren't on the D-Pad at all. Any ideas?

Read the OP and some posts to see if this was somewhat of an issue, but there are just so many that I had to give up and ask.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Drake Lake posted:

My friend got this game recently, but he has a really weird controller issue. For whatever reason, items get used when he didn't push a button, so sometimes he might be fighting an enemy and he'll suddenly drink an Estus Flask, or he might switch weapons/two-handed style when his fingers weren't on the D-Pad at all. Any ideas?

Read the OP and some posts to see if this was somewhat of an issue, but there are just so many that I had to give up and ask.

It's a bug with how the game queues actions sometimes. If you press attack or use item or something while holding your shield up just after blocking an attack, the action won't go off until you try to do something else, and then it'll happen. Basically, try to make sure you drop your shield before pressing another button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Drake Lake posted:

There is an issue where the use of some items and attacks is sometimes delayed--but I've never heard of phantom inputs before.

So how the hell do I get to the Duke's Archives from Anor Londo? I've gotta be missing it somewhere.

• Locked thread