Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Achtane posted:

Yaaaaay

Been after one of these for a long time.

So have I :ohdear: congrats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJWMb4JhZg

They've gone down in price in my parts of the world, last one I saw went for less than a used MS2K or MicroKorg, so it's only a question of time until it's my turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

MrLonghair posted:

So have I :ohdear: congrats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJWMb4JhZg

They've gone down in price in my parts of the world, last one I saw went for less than a used MS2K or MicroKorg, so it's only a question of time until it's my turn.

Yeah, I'm generally on a pretty limited budget so almost all of my gear is used. You just have to wait it out until it seems like you're not gonna find a better deal. I paid $350 USD for it, which might not be the lowest "ever", but I know the seller and it's in 100% condition, so...eh. They generally seem to go for $400-450 from what I've seen.

I have a really hard time buying anything above like $250 unless I just have to have it. I'm looking forward to figuring this thing out...poo poo, that video is awesome and inspiring!
Hope you get a deal on one soon!

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 18, 2011

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
It's been a while since I've posted in this thread. A few guitars in, a few more basses as well, but I've been toying with a new setup. Here's part of it. A bit excessive for a now-hobbyist, but it makes some great sounds.

Tech 21 VT Deluxe into an Avalon U5.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Just bought MF's stupid deal of the day: M-Audio CX8 monitors for $149 each, which I also stacked with the Rocktober 12% off coupon. $288 after tax to WA.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/

These things were $499 each (MSRP) when they first came out-- looks like they're being discontinued. Can't wait to mix on something better than my-- no joke-- Aiwa 3-disc CD changer which I've had since 1995.

(At least I know how stuff "should" sound on it, but still...)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

mr_package posted:

Just bought MF's stupid deal of the day: M-Audio CX8 monitors for $149 each, which I also stacked with the Rocktober 12% off coupon. $288 after tax to WA.
Oh drat, thanks for posting that. I've been in the market for my first pair of monitors, and this was too good to pass up. Those are going to beat the hell out of my lovely $30 Logitech speakers. :D

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 30, 2011

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alternative pants posted:

It's really sad that I prefer my Epiphone LPs to the utter crap that Gibson's been churning out recently. Most of the Epis play better than their Gibson counterparts :smith:

This sort of discussion makes me think about the difference in quality of factory made cars from Japan vs the United States in the 1980s. Looking at videos online it looks like the vast majority of gibsons are shaped by machines before final assembly... sort of like cars. I am pretty sure the epiphones are mfgd in Asia.

That said, I really like my epiphone :)

MusicJustus
Apr 11, 2011

by angerbot

these keep falling out of my instruments and everytime i try and put my finger on em they just keep running! i thought i got a good deal at 4 for the price of 2 but they are just turning out to be a nuisance.

are 8th notes covered in the warranty?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

MusicJustus posted:

these keep falling out of my instruments and everytime i try and put my finger on em they just keep running! i thought i got a good deal at 4 for the price of 2 but they are just turning out to be a nuisance.

are 8th notes covered in the warranty?

Have you modded any of the 8th notes with dots? AFAIK that counts as an aftermarket change and voids the warranty. At least they're not too expensive; My guitar came with a bass clef and boy was I screwed!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hadlock posted:

This sort of discussion makes me think about the difference in quality of factory made cars from Japan vs the United States in the 1980s. Looking at videos online it looks like the vast majority of gibsons are shaped by machines before final assembly... sort of like cars. I am pretty sure the epiphones are mfgd in Asia.

That said, I really like my epiphone :)

And just like cars from Asian manufacturers, they only get better with aftermarket additions. I'm looking at you tone-pros bridge and fine-tuner tail piece.

Seriously, if you have any of the Epis, invest in the tail piece, bridge and some locking tuners. More than worth every penny.

Well, yeah. That's why you have to hot-rod them. Or get an Epi with non-Epi Pups.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 23, 2011

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm not a big fan of epi pickups either, they sound quite cheap. An SD SH-2 SH-4 combo for an epi les paul is a nice go to set.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
My most recent purchase is a two-tiered keyboard stand. It's not the most exciting thing to spend money on but it's really tidied up my working conditions.. I've turned the upper tier into a makeshift shelf, going to try to rig something up with velcro so I can have whatever extra piece of gear I'm working with up there securely). Slightly before that, I had also acquired a pair of KRK Rokit 6 monitors, one of which is in the shot.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

The fan noise is total butt and the loudest thing in the room, and somehow the tuner function is also complete rear end what won't even do my low F#s, but as for the modeling, holy mother, it is great. The cleans just explode out of the speakers with so much detail and dynamics compared to the Line 6 poo poo, even with impulses. Gainy stuff it seems will take a good bit more work, but the cleans sound amazing out of the box. The room mic on the cab block is also incredibly sick, and the cab size parameter can seriously blow up the bass tone in ways I never expected it to do. The hundred-some presets it comes with are some neato wizardry of mods/phasers/wahs/verbs too. All in all, ffffffffffffffff.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Duck and burger posted:

WANT SO BADLY

Did you pick this up new or used? It seems like almost nobody is selling them, I can't afford a brand new one =(

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

So I will be picking this up some time this week, hopefully. :dance:

My first REAL amp. (little 10 watt amps not counting.) Can't wait to get loud.

Did I mention it only cost me $100? :dance:

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Duck and burger posted:

The fan noise is total butt and the loudest thing in the room, and somehow the tuner function is also complete rear end what won't even do my low F#s, but as for the modeling, holy mother, it is great. The cleans just explode out of the speakers with so much detail and dynamics compared to the Line 6 poo poo, even with impulses. Gainy stuff it seems will take a good bit more work, but the cleans sound amazing out of the box. The room mic on the cab block is also incredibly sick, and the cab size parameter can seriously blow up the bass tone in ways I never expected it to do. The hundred-some presets it comes with are some neato wizardry of mods/phasers/wahs/verbs too. All in all, ffffffffffffffff.

Isn't the Axe the best goddamn thing out there? I have an original Ultra and it's given me the best tones out of any modeler, easily equal to when I was miking cabs. For metal/djent stuff I've found using a TS808 mod into the FAL Modern amp, with a stereo cab running Bogner or ENGL cabs. Add a parametric EQ post-cab for cutting some lows and boosting around 2k and you've got yourself a sweet sweet tone!
Sucks about the fan, I would've thought it would be fixed by now, but AFAIK it's easily modded.

Tuner-wise grab a Peterson StroboSoft. It kicks the rear end of built in tuners, Axe and Guitar Rig's included. It Handles my 8 tuned to low E, and can do even lower no problem.

What 8-string are you using?

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

plester1 posted:

WANT SO BADLY

Did you pick this up new or used? It seems like almost nobody is selling them, I can't afford a brand new one =(

New. Wait list was four months long. Fractal only has one U.S. distributor. If you're not buying from Tone Merchants (CA), you have to buy direct.

The Gasmask posted:

For metal/djent stuff I've found using a TS808 mod into the FAL Modern amp, with a stereo cab running Bogner or ENGL cabs. Add a parametric EQ post-cab for cutting some lows and boosting around 2k and you've got yourself a sweet sweet tone!
Sucks about the fan, I would've thought it would be fixed by now, but AFAIK it's easily modded.

I'll have to try that! I'm not getting along so well with the drive boxes yet. I was able to get something decent out of the Uberschall and chieftain (Boutique) using just preamp drive, but I guess I could do some reading up on staging gain with metal amps & drive pedals.

quote:

What 8-string are you using?

Blackjack C-8, but all my 6s are in F# too. The tuner seems to hit the F#, but the fine tuning dot stops moving entirely. It's weird.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
My guitarist friend has been through like three of those things. Every time he sells one, he misses it and somehow finds another. The fan is annoying as hell. I don't know why they use those little ones. I'd look into cutting up the lid and installing a bigger fan, personally. Sweet box though.

If you don't have money/patience for an axefx, the DP4+ is my favorite fx unit and is grossly undervalued these days.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Duck and burger posted:

I was able to get something decent out of the Uberschall and chieftain (Boutique) using just preamp drive, but I guess I could do some reading up on staging gain with metal amps

Since you can't get PMs I'll post this here, since it may help someone else too. The big "secret" to getting a tight metal sound is based on two factors. The first is boosting. Most metal amps sound good direct, but you'll notice the low-end will be a little flabby and loose. This is fixed by a Tubescreamer placed before the amp, with Gain at 0, tone at 5, and volume at 7-10 (to taste). The TS has built in high cut and low cut filters, and by default it will cut bass below around 600 Hz. It sounds almost counterintuitive, but this brings forth the ideal guitar frequencies, and gives the perception of being tight. You'll pretty much lose the mud doing this, and it's become a staple for almost every metal guitarist out there.

Second factor is using lower gain on the amp itself. The lower the gain, the more clarity you gain. You'll start to notice things like clear pick-attack and a nice thick crunch which high gain mushes out. I'm not saying use no gain, but try doing the Uberschall at 4.5 gain (no boost switch) 4.8 master, with slightly cut bass, mids at 7.3, highs at 6.5-7 (no bright switch), and presence at 1.1.

The Axe has tons of deep-editing, so obviously you can go crazy tweaking to get the perfect sound. Here are some things that helped me:
Keep the 'Deep' knob pretty low. It acts as the resonation of the speaker and cabinet, to give it a three-dimensional bass quality. It's neat, but can overpower everything. Same with 'thump'.
Grab as many user cabs (impulses) as you can. The default speakers are good, but people have done impulses of nearly every cab out there, with stunning results. I have a huge collection of almost all the user-created ones, you can email me at ben (at) thepawnproject dot com and I'll hook you up.
And finally, grab Axe-edit if you haven't already. It makes editing 100x easier, and will allow you to do things not really feasible on the tiny screen.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

The Gasmask posted:

Since you can't get PMs I'll post this here, since it may help someone else too. The big "secret" to getting a tight metal sound is based on two factors. The first is boosting. Most metal amps sound good direct, but you'll notice the low-end will be a little flabby and loose. This is fixed by a Tubescreamer placed before the amp, with Gain at 0, tone at 5, and volume at 7-10 (to taste). The TS has built in high cut and low cut filters, and by default it will cut bass below around 600 Hz. It sounds almost counterintuitive, but this brings forth the ideal guitar frequencies, and gives the perception of being tight. You'll pretty much lose the mud doing this, and it's become a staple for almost every metal guitarist out there.

Second factor is using lower gain on the amp itself. The lower the gain, the more clarity you gain. You'll start to notice things like clear pick-attack and a nice thick crunch which high gain mushes out. I'm not saying use no gain, but try doing the Uberschall at 4.5 gain (no boost switch) 4.8 master, with slightly cut bass, mids at 7.3, highs at 6.5-7 (no bright switch), and presence at 1.1.

The Axe has tons of deep-editing, so obviously you can go crazy tweaking to get the perfect sound. Here are some things that helped me:
Keep the 'Deep' knob pretty low. It acts as the resonation of the speaker and cabinet, to give it a three-dimensional bass quality. It's neat, but can overpower everything. Same with 'thump'.
Grab as many user cabs (impulses) as you can. The default speakers are good, but people have done impulses of nearly every cab out there, with stunning results. I have a huge collection of almost all the user-created ones, you can email me at ben (at) thepawnproject dot com and I'll hook you up.
And finally, grab Axe-edit if you haven't already. It makes editing 100x easier, and will allow you to do things not really feasible on the tiny screen.

Ah, TS at zero gain. Haven't tried that! I'll def try out those settings tonight. Do you always stick with the TS? There are a lot of models to choose from. Just the distortion itself seems best from the Tape Dist model, but I'm not sure what kind of filtering is built into that one. There is no deep/thump on the II, but there is a depth parameter that, yeah, seems dangerous. The II came with a bunch of Redwirez and Ownhammer impulses, thankfully! I'd been using a collection of poorly organized random ones with my Pod, which had some great ones (much preferred them to Godscab), but I'm not sure I even need those anymore. I think the cab size/room sim in the cab block are new features on this unit also, and they're really really amazing. Now I also gotta figure out how the multidelay works. Thing is nuts.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Picked this amp up today. Kustom 250. The old guy had 2 of them, and gave me the better of the two, that has reverb, tremolo and vibrato.

We got to talking about music, and the guy said it seems like I'm going to give it a good home. He let me haul it away for only $50, and wouldn't accept anything more from me. :unsmith:

This is the first time I've played my guitar (That I built) through an actual amp, and I'm in looooove. But that might just be bias because of my guitar and newly acquired amp. Still, it's a ton and a half of fun. I'll try to keep her in good shape, Ronnie.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just got an LTD MH-307:

And I've finally got a nice pic of my BK Nailbombs in my Ibanez:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Rocksmith
http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/home/

I got a thing. It works. It honest to goodness works. I plug my guitar into the X-Box and it can tell what the heck I'm playing. That's awesome.

There's some weird lag between playing and hearing, which is apparently the fault of me using HDMI. But it works.

And I have learned new ways in which I suck. But I'm getting better.
\/ \/ \/ \/
Actually, it's pretty anal about tuning. It makes you check your tuning about every time you change modes. I don't think it has anything where drop tuning is useful, but it certainly appears to be able to handle it.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 1, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I planned on picking a copy of it up. Does your guitar's tuning matter or does it just say "whatever I'm assuming you're in the right tuning"?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Warcabbit posted:

I got a thing. It works. It honest to goodness works. I plug my guitar into the X-Box and it can tell what the heck I'm playing. That's awesome.

There's some weird lag between playing and hearing, which is apparently the fault of me using HDMI. But it works.

And I have learned new ways in which I suck. But I'm getting better.

I can't wait until we can use Pro Tools on an Xbox.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Rotten Cookies posted:

Picked this amp up today. Kustom 250. The old guy had 2 of them, and gave me the better of the two, that has reverb, tremolo and vibrato.

We got to talking about music, and the guy said it seems like I'm going to give it a good home. He let me haul it away for only $50, and wouldn't accept anything more from me. :unsmith:

This is the first time I've played my guitar (That I built) through an actual amp, and I'm in looooove. But that might just be bias because of my guitar and newly acquired amp. Still, it's a ton and a half of fun. I'll try to keep her in good shape, Ronnie.

That's rad. I love the look of those old Kustoms; they remind me of old diner furniture and 50s hot rods.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Rocksmith update. Yesterday was not the best day to try a new game out. Today was okay.

It's forgiving. It's accurate. It's brutal. Every missed note is entirely my own drat fault. I haven't hated ducks so much since that time my buddy discovered what you could do with Controller 2 in NES Duck Hunt.

Do flip it so it shows tab (Low E on bottom) or you'll mess your head up, though. (Default is Low E on top.)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

Do flip it so it shows tab (Low E on bottom) or you'll mess your head up, though. (Default is Low E on top.)

What?

WHAT?

When has anyone, in the anything of ever, ever put the low notes at the top of a diagram? I want to see this company's financials now---just so I know how much they spent on crack.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It makes some sense: it's how you hold the guitar, after all. And the option to flip it is noted in the very nice and clear instructions that it reads aloud to you.

To a complete novice, it would probably be easier to understand. The top line is the top string on your guitar, etc.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
Yeah, it makes perfect sense once you start playing the game.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Does Rocksmith have a mode for teaching/practicing scales?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Somewhere in there is a scales minigame. I haven't seen a tutorial on them yet, so I'm not sure if there is anything really in depth on them or not.

One thing is for sure, it shows where guitar learning can go from here on forward. I would *LOVE* to see a 100% guitar learning package that uses this same cable for either my PC or my PS3/360 that is just hard core music theory hunker down and learn this poo poo with no real "game" or song modes.

Rocksmith has a LITTLE of this. It feels like just a taste. It's awesome, and it's great to see feedback instantly on learning this way. The cable they provide is a USB cable that actually is recognized on the PC as an input line. They're like $20 or $30 on their own.

I'd really like to see this or other devs take full advantage of this stuff.

This isn't to say I am not liking Rocksmith. Quite the opposite. It has been getting me playing a lot of songs lately. I play downstairs for a few hours come back upstairs on the computer, and I'm grabbing the guitar sitting behind me wailing out Queens of the Stone Age - Go with the flow any chance I get. I love it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 2, 2011

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good lord I am going to buy and install Windows just for this.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It's an Xbox/PS game. I consider installing Windows a bit redundant. The game's not out till December for Windows, and Ubisoft tends to have REALLY bad DRM, so I wouldn't get it for Windows till we know more about that.

By the way, Philthy, have you gotten anywhere that doesn't use standard tuning yet? Seigfox?

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

I also picked up Rocksmith and it's a blast. Even if I just view it as a scrolling tab viewer with a perfect backing track and amps/pedals set up fairly well for the song it's easily worth what I spent. I did already have a sound receiver and my 360 going into it with a separate audio cable, so I've never seen any noticeable lag.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Warcabbit posted:

By the way, Philthy, have you gotten anywhere that doesn't use standard tuning yet? Seigfox?

Not yet, but there are drop D songs, and it has you tune down for it before the song starts i'm told.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Philthy posted:

Not yet, but there are drop D songs, and it has you tune down for it before the song starts i'm told.

Yup, when you do the tuning check before the song it lets you retune. The Rocksmith devs have also hinted that other tunings will be coming in the future. And a bass mode, which I dearly hope will allow for bass/guitar multiplayer.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just bought a boost and the second after I pressed "pay" I looked at my pedalboard and rememebered my dist pedal has a boost built in to it. DURRRRRRRR

massive spider fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 6, 2011

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
I've been meaning to get a 12-string ever since I gave my old one to a friend of mine who lost all his guitars in an apartment fire.

I hadn't meant to get anything this nice, but as I was surfing ebay one evening I spotted this beauty and couldn't resist:

My "new" 1993 Rickenbacker 610/12

The artful shot

And finally on the wall next to the 360/6 my wife bought me for my birthday.

I didn't realize how much bigger the 360 was than the 610, but both are super comfortable to play.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but for those interested in Rocksmith, you can use a 12-string with it. I plugged the 610 in this evening and the game just treated it as a 6-string.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Each pair of those strings are tuned to each other, so it's like a natural chorus effect, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Philthy posted:

Each pair of those strings are tuned to each other, so it's like a natural chorus effect, right?

Yes, the EADG strings are tuned an octave apart then the B and high E are tuned in unison. It sounds incredible even when it is not amplified, especially given that it is a solid body.