Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The coming of the FT makes me wonder if Toyota will be using it as their new NASCAR model. Chevy, Ford and Dodge will be going to their RWD "Pony" models eventually so I guess it makes sense for Toyota to do the same, but the car does seem very small and may look odd as a Cup car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cakefool posted:

Nah, 2-seater = high risk sportscar, thats pretty much it. People who buy 2 seaters are a high risk as a rule, so the cars become high risk by association. This is also why so many cars have the stupid +2 shelf when they shouldn't have bothered.

That definitely doesn't apply everywhere in the world

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Cream_Filling posted:

The S2k retailed for almost $10k more new than the FT. I know it was designed 10 years ago and it's a convertible, but somehow I doubt that, even as a coupe, Toyota of all people will have somehow dropped weight on a slightly larger car with a similarly sized engine. I think the chances of the FT weighing significantly less than the S2k are quite slim.

I mean look at this commparison:

Also, according to some random dude on the internet, the FT is much smaller than the Genesis Coupe, and comparing the two on anything other than price is difficult:

This really just makes me want the FRS even more as a summer/track car. The 2.0 GC is big and pretty bland to drive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's also a nice place to put things, the advantage being that you don't have to open the trunk in order to access them, so theoretically you or a passenger could grab them while driving, or it saves you extra time outside your car, like when you're done scraping ice off your windshield in -20 degree weather). Combine that with being able to lower the rear seats to allow a passthrough from the trunk, and it's hard to imagine why you wouldn't want those tiny-rear end little seats unless you're really ultra-concerned about lowering weight at the expense of usability (in which case you should remove it yourself).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
For those of us with a dog or two, the back seats aren't really a negotiable feature no matter how small the car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

dissss posted:

That definitely doesn't apply everywhere in the world

I was careful to say "in some markets" for this reason.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

leica posted:

The coming of the FT makes me wonder if Toyota will be using it as their new NASCAR model. Chevy, Ford and Dodge will be going to their RWD "Pony" models eventually so I guess it makes sense for Toyota to do the same, but the car does seem very small and may look odd as a Cup car.

What, really?!? Does this mean there will be no more commercials with a Camry doing a mad-tyte burnout?

I love that overlay picture of the FT and the GC. It seems like the car may be about the size of the Celica, which is pretty much perfect in my eyes.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Cream_Filling posted:

The S2k retailed for almost $10k more new than the FT. I know it was designed 10 years ago and it's a convertible, but somehow I doubt that, even as a coupe, Toyota of all people will have somehow dropped weight on a slightly larger car with a similarly sized engine. I think the chances of the FT weighing significantly less than the S2k are quite slim.

I mean look at this commparison:

Also, according to some random dude on the internet, the FT is much smaller than the Genesis Coupe, and comparing the two on anything other than price is difficult:

If anyone is interested in looking at the rest of the overlays, they can be found in this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed this picture from that thread.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ugh, guys, I thought we said no fat chicks?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Billy Zane posted:

If anyone is interested in looking at the rest of the overlays, they can be found in this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9

Oh god, looking at the comparison between the FRS and the S2000...there is no way a 6'3" dude is going to fit in this is there? :smith:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Rabble posted:

Oh god, looking at the comparison between the FRS and the S2000...there is no way a 6'3" dude is going to fit in this is there? :smith:

There's a shot of how the seating worked out in the FT-86 II concept and they estimated that the driver was ~6'0" with some room for a helmet. It's too early to say but hopefully at the Tokyo Autoshow some taller European/American journalists can get some seat time and say for sure.

Edit: MORE (alleged) FT-86/FR-S/BRZ NEWS!

Important specs from the alleged leaked brochure:

HP: 147kw (200ps) / 200hp @7000rpm
Torque: 205nm (151 lb/ft) @ 6600rpm
Weight:2662 lbs (1210kg) for base manual (~ 2580 lbs dry weight)
2706 lbs for higher trim manual

Also shows some comparisons against the Miata, RX8, and CR-Z (for some reason).

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 31, 2011

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

kimcicle posted:

There's a shot of how the seating worked out in the FT-86 II concept and they estimated that the driver was ~6'0" with some room for a helmet. It's too early to say but hopefully at the Tokyo Autoshow some taller European/American journalists can get some seat time and say for sure.

Edit: MORE (alleged) FT-86/FR-S/BRZ NEWS!

Important specs from the alleged leaked brochure:

HP: 147kw (200ps) / 200hp @7000rpm
Torque: 205nm (151 lb/ft) @ 6600rpm
Weight:2662 lbs (1210kg) for base manual (~ 2580 lbs dry weight)
2706 lbs for higher trim manual

Also shows some comparisons against the Miata, RX8, and CR-Z (for some reason).

Not bad--2700 lbs isn't too bad for a modern coupe. Any word on pricing yet?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It will cost the same as a miata.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

What, really?!? Does this mean there will be no more commercials with a Camry doing a mad-tyte burnout?

Yeah, Ford and Dodge already have the Mustang and Challenger in the Nationwide series, Chevy is expected to use the Camaro then it will progress into the Cup series. The plan is to get back to the old days when you could tell the cars apart, it's not perfected yet but it's a step in the right direction for NASCAR.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Rabble posted:

It's very dependent on the seating position.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1834

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cakefool posted:

I was careful to say "in some markets" for this reason.

Don't mind me, I'm just annoyed that an older STI or Evo is the worst possible case for insurance in my part of the world

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dissss posted:

Don't mind me, I'm just annoyed that an older STI or Evo is the worst possible case for insurance in my part of the world

insurance for my 180sx has gone UP since I turned 25.

I guess at the rate that fuckwits are sliding them into trees this is to be expected though.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Im surprised with a shorter engine like the boxer and the dimensions so close to the s2000 but a longer wheelbase they still have the engine partly infront of the strut towers. Guess that's a bitch to manage without a transaxle or without ruining passenger space.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Subaru likes to hang their engines as far forward as possible.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Why is the differential hung so low? I'm assuming to make more room in the backseat, but I thought the FT86 was going to be a 2-seater? God I'm so confused by that picture

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bidikyoopi posted:

Why is the differential hung so low? I'm assuming to make more room in the backseat, but I thought the FT86 was going to be a 2-seater? God I'm so confused by that picture

Lower CG. Its being mounted higher wouldn't really affect a 2+2 setup anyways.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Colours and instrumentation/console has been leaked.

Satin white
silver metallic
dark grey
black
red metallic
orange
blue

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2105

Definitely seems like these leaks are being choreographed by Toyota in some way.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
This is important and I can't tell from the photos. Is the FT-86 the right 6-speed with reverse on the 1-2 side or the wrong 6-speed with reverse on the 5-6 side

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

This is important and I can't tell from the photos. Is the FT-86 the right 6-speed with reverse on the 1-2 side or the wrong 6-speed with reverse on the 5-6 side
Since it appears to have a pull-up collar, I'm assuming it's similar to the STI 6-speed in that the reverse is on the 5-6 leg.

I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese car with reverse under the 1. It's a VW thing surely?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Since it appears to have a pull-up collar, I'm assuming it's similar to the STI 6-speed in that the reverse is on the 5-6 leg.

I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese car with reverse under the 1. It's a VW thing surely?

One counter example that I know of -- the 2006 Corolla XRS I drove had it left of the 1.

Concept has it on the left:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=178&stc=1&d=1255665757

In Modellista leak, I swear they've photoshopped it out:
http://jalopnik.com/5853832/toyota-ft+86-this-is-it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nodoze posted:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2394&d=1319903205

from this it looks like it MIGHT be on the 1-2 side?

and loving indicator stalks on the wrong side.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ah. I'm completely wrong then. My apologies - it does look like it's on the 1-2 leg.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Laserface posted:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2394&d=1319903205

from this it looks like it MIGHT be on the 1-2 side?
definitely is:

e: Not really digging that start engine button placement.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

It's on the 1-2 side in the Mini S, at least my generation, and the Mazdaspeed 3

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
So it looks like there is three trim specs: the "feature" car, the base model, and the "low" model.

It's interesting, I can't think of a price point for these yet and I don't think the price sheet has been leaked yet. I figured the base model car would be around $22k but now I'm not so sure when we have things like "low quality" fabric and only two speakers. I was also thinking about how subaru would price this because they already have the WRX at $25k, I don't think this can be more expensive than that.

Maybe the low model will be $20, the base model at $22, and the feature car at $24-25? That would put it in line with the genesis coupe and miata (the two other cars I can think of in the model segment). Ehh I'm overthinking it...goddammit toyota tell me how much money I need to give you!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Muffinpox posted:

Im surprised with a shorter engine like the boxer and the dimensions so close to the s2000 but a longer wheelbase they still have the engine partly infront of the strut towers. Guess that's a bitch to manage without a transaxle or without ruining passenger space.

I'm sure they could have done it. If the S2000 can get the front of the inline 4 even with the front axle then Toyota should have been able to get that flat foor complete behind the front axle. I mean, how would the drivetrain look if we stuck a flat four on the front of a wider s2000?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Coredump posted:

I'm sure they could have done it. If the S2000 can get the front of the inline 4 even with the front axle then Toyota should have been able to get that flat foor complete behind the front axle. I mean, how would the drivetrain look if we stuck a flat four on the front of a wider s2000?

The 86 rides on a longer wheelbase and accomodates a rear seat. If you look at the S2k overlay, you can see how much further forward the 86's cabin is. And how much shorter the front overhang is, though that obviously is not a factor in the motor sitting really far forward.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=101&d=1255296097

Shouldn't this car have its own rabid conjecture and discussion thread by now?

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
The overlay shows the S2000 as being longer, but the specs suggest otherwise. It'll be nice to get some official info about the car.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Subaru got jelly of Toyota hogging the limelight and dropped this. (FYI, both companies have agreed 'not to show anything until the Tokyo Motor Show' so the leaks are likely Toyota building hype)

Although this is a concept, it still beats the Toyotas rear end by a mile. I think its pretty solid that the two cars are identical except for the front however :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I work for Toyota & the hype/leaks etc surrounding this car are very odd, normally we can sneak a look at CAD through various networks but within the normal routes there is nothing to suggest this car is past the concept stage, really. I'm prepared to be disappointed when they roll out the fourth iteration of the concept at the Tokyo motor show.

I mean we don't even know who made the dies or where the car is being assembled, this poo poo is normally known about 2 years in advance!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cakefool posted:

I work for Toyota & the hype/leaks etc surrounding this car are very odd, normally we can sneak a look at CAD through various networks but within the normal routes there is nothing to suggest this car is past the concept stage, really. I'm prepared to be disappointed when they roll out the fourth iteration of the concept at the Tokyo motor show.

I mean we don't even know who made the dies or where the car is being assembled, this poo poo is normally known about 2 years in advance!

Subaru is building it in their Gunma( ? ) plant.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Laserface posted:

:circlefap:

At this point we may need an FT86/FRS/BRZ thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me

Laserface posted:

Subaru got jelly of Toyota hogging the limelight and dropped this. (FYI, both companies have agreed 'not to show anything until the Tokyo Motor Show' so the leaks are likely Toyota building hype)

Although this is a concept, it still beats the Toyotas rear end by a mile. I think its pretty solid that the two cars are identical except for the front however :(

I'm more excited about the scion fr-s half of the deal really, but I'm a big believer in making a 200bhp car into a 300bhp rather than buying a 300bhp. Regardless, they both look great. Exciting times we're living in!