Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

So I haven't been able to play minecraft multiplayer in about a month now, so I posted this on reddit (yeah, I know). I'm crossposting here in hopes that one of you may have fixed this problem in the past.

Upon logging in I fall straight to the void. Often, I can see mobs just as I fall but they quickly recede from sight. Sometimes, the chunk I am standing on loads but I can't interact with anything, just run around. Occasionally, I can see other players but they are completely still statues. Rarely, someone's text appears in the speech box upon logging in but nothing continues to appear. F3 reveals that no chunk updates are happening, though my FPS is consistently around 200.

Basically multiplayer minecraft is functioning as a nightmare simulator right now and not really a game.

After maybe a minute of this, I receive the message Internal Exception: java.net.sockettimeoutexception:read timed out.

I've been having connectivity issues since the 1.8 update. Updating my java to the latest version and deleting the minecraft folder entirely haven't helped. I have tried to connect to multiple servers with the same results each time. I have asked the server owners on my favorite server to delete my .dat file on the server. I have tried running minecraft with more memory. I have tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of java, and both java versions 26 and 27.

Other people are playing on the server, so I am thinking the error is on my end. To that end, I tried running minecraft through a java shortcut and got this data from trying out a multiplayer server:

code:
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketInputStream(Unknown Source)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(Unknown Source)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(Unknown Source) *(Yes, this line repeats twice)*
at rk.a (Sourcefile:53)
at vl.a (Sourcefile:145)
at iq.e (Sourcefile:190)
at iq.c (Sourcefile:10)
no. run (Sourcefile:77)
A reddit person had me join their server and they got the following:
code:
[Disconnect] User Johnny_Madhouse has disconnected, reason: disconnect.endOfStream
[Server] SEVERE at net.minecraft.server.NetworkWriterThread.run(SourceFile:104) 
[Server] SEVERE at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at
java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at 
java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at 
java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at 
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE 
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
The reddit person also asked if I would be interested in using Teamviewer so they could look at some settings on my computer. I said no, because I feel like letting anonymous internet people into my computer is probably too risky to justify. At any rate, does anyone have any ideas for what I could try next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Try running a minecraft server locally, and then connecting locally, see if you get the error there.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Priapus Unbound posted:

code:
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketInputStream(Unknown Source)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(Unknown Source)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(Unknown Source) *(Yes, this line repeats twice)*
at rk.a (Sourcefile:53)
at vl.a (Sourcefile:145)
at iq.e (Sourcefile:190)
at iq.c (Sourcefile:10)
no. run (Sourcefile:77)
A reddit person had me join their server and they got the following:
code:
[Disconnect] User Johnny_Madhouse has disconnected, reason: disconnect.endOfStream
[Server] SEVERE at net.minecraft.server.NetworkWriterThread.run(SourceFile:104) 
[Server] SEVERE at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at
java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at 
java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at 
java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at 
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE 
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed

I had serious serious issues with SocketTimeoutException when I tried to play SMP over a wireless connection. Plugging in stopped that entirely. If you're using wireless, unless you've got fantastic clear-line-of-sight to your router/access point, that may be the issue.

If you're already plugged in, I remember hearing that Minecraft doesn't play nice with some network cards, but that was a while ago I think, and that's possibly been resolved...?

Anyhow, try Spectral Werewolf's suggestion if you're already wired or the switch to wired from wireless doesn't do it. That should eliminate your network card entirely, and if it solves your issues then you have something to go on.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
I run a server and see those errors all the time. It's probably just a connectivity issue. I don't think there's anything wrong with your game or the server.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any way to rebind the sprint key to say shift, instead of double tapping w? It's causing sprint to turn on whenever I'm walking around normally and is starting to piss me off.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So I made a thing in real life:

I call it a Creeper O'Lantern, a bit stylized but I thought chopping out square blocks would be a bit too easy.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Nice! I made one last year!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
How do you half cut pieces out a pumpkin out anyway?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fayez Butts posted:

Nice! I made one last year!

I'm sure I remember seeing that, it did inspire me :)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Megaspel posted:

How do you half cut pieces out a pumpkin out anyway?

You scrape! Use your carving knife to cut the outside lines, then dig in with a spoon or something like that. Way more tedious, but the results speak for themselves!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How stable is the game right now? I haven't played in about 6 months now...

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Well if you're using an AMD Radeon 6870 with the Battlefield 3/RAGE Catalyst beta drivers 11.10 release 3 there's a chance it won't run at all.

Every OpenGL app except Rage crashes the display driver and sits there not responding when using these drivers.

All I can find in event log is
code:
The program javaw.exe version 7.0.0.147 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: 117c
 Start Time: 01cc975f1392834f
 Termination Time: 9
 Application Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe
 Report Id: 69f37bc3-0352-11e1-a814-005056c00008
With no mention in the Action Center at all.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Boat posted:

I had serious serious issues with SocketTimeoutException when I tried to play SMP over a wireless connection. Plugging in stopped that entirely. If you're using wireless, unless you've got fantastic clear-line-of-sight to your router/access point, that may be the issue.

If you're already plugged in, I remember hearing that Minecraft doesn't play nice with some network cards, but that was a while ago I think, and that's possibly been resolved...?

Anyhow, try Spectral Werewolf's suggestion if you're already wired or the switch to wired from wireless doesn't do it. That should eliminate your network card entirely, and if it solves your issues then you have something to go on.

Well, dang. I'm on a college wireless network, and don't have the option to switch to wired. It's strange, MP worked fine for me on this network until just a month ago.

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm holding out hope for a less-resource intensive stable version of minecraft than 1.8 to be my answer. If not, well, I guess I'm only living here another year.

EDIT: Also, going to try the local server thing to see if that is indeed the issue. Thanks again!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, hrm. I'm trying out 1.9p5, and I'm getting a lot of crashes. The game runs awesomely, then all of a sudden I'm back in Windows like I never even opened anything. It's like a Saving Chunks error, but instantaneous. Anything I can poke at to try and isolate the cause? (Java is up to date, I'm not running with the extended memory command.)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Boat posted:

Tee hee, camera angels. :angel:

:siren::siren::siren: MAC USERS! :siren::siren::siren:

Thanks to the 1.9 prerelease kindly telling you in the display options, I found that Minecraft uses 32bit Java by default. This post tells you how to set it so that it uses your 64bit Java, if you have it.

MASSIVE improvement in rendering times/speed/everything.

Thanks for this, my Mac needs all the help it can get running this game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tollymain posted:

How stable is the game right now? I haven't played in about 6 months now...

In terms of updates or in terms of bugginess? The current official release in 1.8.1, which I've never had any technical problems with at all, plus many (most?) mods are still on it.

There are also the 1.9.x prereleases which have new features but are less moddable and may still have bugs here and there.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
So has anyone else using 1.9.p5 noticed a single Enderman standing around in broad daylight? A few times now I've gone outside to find one hanging about.

Oddly, he won't attack (or even do the "angry" animation) when you look at him, just instantly teleports off a dozen or so meters. Other than that, you can walk right up next to him and he just stands there. :confused:

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Boat posted:

So has anyone else using 1.9.p5 noticed a single Enderman standing around in broad daylight? A few times now I've gone outside to find one hanging about.

Oddly, he won't attack (or even do the "angry" animation) when you look at him, just instantly teleports off a dozen or so meters. Other than that, you can walk right up next to him and he just stands there. :confused:

He's dulling your senses. While you're pondering his odd existence, his buddies are stealing your rims.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
Endermen are just plain terrifying now in Pre. 5.

I was building up my city and I was at the top of one of my buildings I was finishing up by just adding some final touches in the pitch black of night. I saw a mischievous Enderman on the ground hundreds of feet below, playing with my dirt blocks, and decided a little target practice was in order. I pulled back and unleashed a charged shot and landed a direct hit on it. It teleported around with my dirt in its hand, I had a chuckle and I thought nothing of it. After watching it warp around and eventually disappear, I turned around to finish my building. On the tiny 1-block-wide catwalk I was standing on, I see that Enderman in front of me, staring right at me with my dirt block at its feet in absolute darkness.

It attacked me and knocked me off the building, sending me plummeting to my death. What a cock!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I've discovered that, for me, there are two modes to this game, really. SMP (with or without creative) and Hardcore mode. I seriously could not play single player any other way. Hardcore mode for life. :black101:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I've been playing SMP constantly since starting my test server, but the next new single player I start will be hardcore :)

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I've discovered that, for me, there are two modes to this game, really. SMP (with or without creative) and Hardcore mode. I seriously could not play single player any other way. Hardcore mode for life. :black101:

Until you get a world with just the coolest terrain and die a bullshit death before you think to write down the seed. :saddowns:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So is hardcore mode something other than hard difficulty & wiping the world if you die?

Speaking of bullshit deaths, I somehow managed to drown myself in the well in a village. :saddowns:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Boat posted:

So is hardcore mode something other than hard difficulty & wiping the world if you die?

Speaking of bullshit deaths, I somehow managed to drown myself in the well in a village. :saddowns:

While HC mode seems to be nothing more than the game on hard with perma-death/world-wipe, that honestly changes a LOT when you know you really can't die, because you can't take anything with you.

Good way to try out new seeds, though! "poo poo, I'm dead.. well... time to do it again!"

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Is there any way out of The End yet? Kinda have a save stuck there on hardcore mode. Didn't really think this through properly.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Is there any way out of The End yet? Kinda have a save stuck there on hardcore mode. Didn't really think this through properly.

I thought I read that you have to jump into the void to leave it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Vatek posted:

I thought I read that you have to jump into the void to leave it.

I will not fall for your tricks. <:mad:>

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

I will not fall for your tricks. <:mad:>

Well, I did read it. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features :shobon:

The actual entry for The End says that there's no way to leave currently unless you're on an SMP server with the capability to spawn items, but the "Upcoming Features" list says to throw yourself into the void to exit. Whether some idiot just put that there to troll people or if that's how it's actually going to work, though, I have no idea.

You should totally try it, what's the worst that could happen? :haw:

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Vatek posted:

Well, I did read it. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features :shobon:

The actual entry for The End says that there's no way to leave currently unless you're on an SMP server with the capability to spawn items, but the "Upcoming Features" list says to throw yourself into the void to exit. Whether some idiot just put that there to troll people or if that's how it's actually going to work, though, I have no idea.

You should totally try it, what's the worst that could happen? :haw:

It kills you. Oh well, new world time!

Anyone have any tips for getting Minecraft to not run like poo poo on OSX? Under windows it works perfectly, but i get horrendous slowdown and the sound is all out of sync on OSX.

(Both with Maximum Minecraft and 64bit Java)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Anyone have any tips for getting Minecraft to not run like poo poo on OSX? Under windows it works perfectly, but i get horrendous slowdown and the sound is all out of sync on OSX.

Boat posted this not too long ago:

Boat posted:

Tee hee, camera angels. :angel:

:siren::siren::siren: MAC USERS! :siren::siren::siren:

Thanks to the 1.9 prerelease kindly telling you in the display options, I found that Minecraft uses 32bit Java by default. This post tells you how to set it so that it uses your 64bit Java, if you have it.

MASSIVE improvement in rendering times/speed/everything.

I haven't tried it yet, as I'm in the blackout area of New England with no power.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

What version of OS X on what Mac?

Edit: You're on the same version (and likely same-ish hardware) as me. What's your F3 screen look like?

I'm running the 64-bit Java but no MaximumMinecraft performance jiggerypokery, just jar/mod management.

runsamok fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 31, 2011

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Notch or Jeb tweeted that currently the only way out of The End is, well, the end. Of your game. Since when you die the nether/end you respawn back in the normal world. Which, yes, really sucks on hardcore.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

runsamok posted:

What version of OS X on what Mac?

10.7.2 on a 2011 Macbook Pro.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Amppelix posted:

Notch or Jeb tweeted that currently the only way out of The End is, well, the end. Of your game. Since when you die the nether/end you respawn back in the normal world. Which, yes, really sucks on hardcore.

Can you use MCEdit to move a character between planes?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

10.7.2 on a 2011 Macbook Pro.

Maybe try this program to see which video card it's using while Minecraft is running, and override it if necessary. I know other people have had trouble with laptops trying to use the wrong, lower-performance card for Minecraft, though I can't remember if it happened on Macs or just Windows.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Halibut Barn posted:

Maybe try this program to see which video card it's using while Minecraft is running, and override it if necessary. I know other people have had trouble with laptops trying to use the wrong, lower-performance card for Minecraft, though I can't remember if it happened on Macs or just Windows.

Should still be able to get ~30fps on Far to ~75fps on tiny, even on the HD3000 integrated. I just forced my own MBP to test.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Halibut Barn posted:

Cheers, it has alleviated the problem a little (using that and forcing it to use the proper graphics chip), but the sound issues remain and it still is freezing up every so often, something it isn't doing under Windows.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Cheers, it has alleviated the problem a little (using that and forcing it to use the proper graphics chip), but the sound issues remain and it still is freezing up every so often, something it isn't doing under Windows.

Do you have any strange audio stuff loaded like Audio Hijack Pro?

I can play for hours and hours and hours and never have a problem with sound or freezing. Have you checked the Console to see if it's throwing any errors?

E: You can tell the big GPU is on because it's almost directly under the W key, and heats up the aluminum fairly quickly. Also how you know Apple doesn't build these things for gamers. "Let's put the hottest part of the machine directly under the user's hand when playing 90% of PC games."

runsamok fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 1, 2011

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I know this was a few pages back by now (not fast thread for once, I'm just slow), but thanks everyone for the kind suggestions. =) I think on my next map, I'm actually going to try a few of the myriad techniques for not getting rear end-backwards lost in caves that have been mentioned in this thread. Specifically torches only on the right and waypoints. Speaking of the next map...

Do we still have a "Cool Seeds" thread? Or has that been moot since 1.9 pres have been rolling out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Old Greg posted:

I know this was a few pages back by now (not fast thread for once, I'm just slow), but thanks everyone for the kind suggestions. =) I think on my next map, I'm actually going to try a few of the myriad techniques for not getting rear end-backwards lost in caves that have been mentioned in this thread. Specifically torches only on the right and waypoints. Speaking of the next map...

Do we still have a "Cool Seeds" thread? Or has that been moot since 1.9 pres have been rolling out?

1.8 actually kinda blew it out of the water, what with so many seeds having the sort of dramatic mountain ranges that a lot of the old cool seeds were posted up for.

My current 1.9 seed is actually kind of boring. It's just forest, as far as the eye can see. At least as far as I've walked thus far.