Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So these are my first real completed warhams since I stopped playing when I was 18. I just finished up two Necron Destroyers and a Destroyer Lord. I guess 'finished' isn't the right word since they don't have any flocking on the bases or what have you.

I think I really mucked up the Lord though! I got him second hand and he came posed and covered in a thick layer of paint. There was glue gunked up under his shoulder armor as well. I really should have tossed him in some Simple Green before painting him. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Yeast posted:

That's disappointing to hear. Especially as I literally just bought some :v:

I've been trying it on my Dreadfleet terrain. I've got places where I've applied it three times on relatively small gaps and it still shrinks into the cracks as it dries. It's utter poo poo.

I've seen gesso work better as a gap filler :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeast posted:

That sounds pretty spot on. I think the thing to be careful of is that it doesn't just become a grey blur, so straight up dry brushing may not be the only way.

Try also putting some feature pieces in, like bits of broken piping / metal debris that can be a rusty/worn colour. For those you can put down shining gold, then smash it with devlan mud, then do edge highlighting with chain mail. It'll look worn and scuffed, and help break up the base.

Also, consider small washes of other colours over some parts, dirty greens or dirty reds, for engine oil and the like.

Will give it a try, thanks Yeast.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Shallow posted:

I've been trying it on my Dreadfleet terrain. I've got places where I've applied it three times on relatively small gaps and it still shrinks into the cracks as it dries. It's utter poo poo.

I've seen gesso work better as a gap filler :v:

I've found it very useful tbh. I wouldnt call it utter poo poo, maybe you just arent using it properly.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AndyElusive posted:

I think I really mucked up the Lord though! I got him second hand and he came posed and covered in a thick layer of paint. There was glue gunked up under his shoulder armor as well. I really should have tossed him in some Simple Green before painting him. :(

Yeah man, your necrons are crisp as hell, but that lord just looks off. Also I think the gold head doesn't work, he'd be better with an all white one imo.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Indolent Bastard posted:

Using foamcore to make terrain? Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seXAwAFCpu8

Much of it is common sense, but I've found many gamers who lack common sense.

This guy's voice gets to me. He over-enunciates every word and over explains everything so much it's like I'm watching the mourning routine bit from American Psycho.

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...

Bhyo posted:

I've found it very useful tbh. I wouldnt call it utter poo poo, maybe you just arent using it properly.

I've been having good luck with it filling in gaps on Ork arms and heads. I put it on heavy then wet my brush and smooth it out. I find it works quite well.

Simpo
May 1, 2008
I painted some morats:

still not entirely satisfied with the colours, I chopped and change a lot while painting them, which is why some areas are a bit thick.

Also wondering what sort of basing I should go for with them

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah man, your necrons are crisp as hell, but that lord just looks off. Also I think the gold head doesn't work, he'd be better with an all white one imo.

I think you're right about that. I'm this close to spontaneously throwing the whole model into a jar of simple green for 3 days and starting over again after giving the Lord a good tooth brushing. There's just too many layers of paint on him at this point to put another one on his head.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

postman posted:

As far as sanding goes I've been using some 180 grit paper I dug out of the garage, whats standard practice for something like this? higher grit, different tool?

I don't know about anyone else, but i wouldn't be sanding plastic. Scraping a surface with a sharp knife is easy and does the job nicely, and doesn't create very fine plastic dust.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
The plastics they use for their normal stuff doesn't particulate in small enough or hard enough pieces to be dangerous: sure, it's not great to go snorting the stuff, but your body won't be adversely affected by short-term exposure.

Though, Lungboy does bring up a good point; wear a mask when doing any kind of sanding or spraying. Better yet, wear a respirator. Unless you are in California, then you should wear a class 3 sealed NBC hazmat suit, because "products are known to cause cancer in the state of California." :v:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
For those of you who paint for D&D or other fantasy RPGs, I recently picked up a huge lot of Reaper miniatures and a few from other companies. It would take me years to get through all of them, so I am selling the excess on SA-Mart here.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What's the best strategy for painting things like the embossed 'borders' on Chaos shoulder pads and body parts? Do you first paint the embossed 'trim' and then the larger recessed area? Or do you paint the larger recessed area first and then the trim?

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I think i'm about finished with Helbrect, blurry pic:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So Citadel paints are super expensive but seem to be really good. Is there anywhere to get these paints for cheaper than they cost? Or perhaps some brand of paint that is highly similar but not so drat expensive?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

BadLlama posted:

So Citadel paints are super expensive but seem to be really good. Is there anywhere to get these paints for cheaper than they cost? Or perhaps some brand of paint that is highly similar but not so drat expensive?

Vallejo. A bit cheaper and some say better. And they sell inks. GW metallics/washes are supposed to be better though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I like me my Reaper paints. Triad supremacy.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Vallejo. A bit cheaper and some say better. And they sell inks. GW metallics/washes are supposed to be better though.

Would you happen to know where you could get these? Online only or do stores normally carry them?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Would you happen to know where you could get these? Online only or do stores normally carry them?
*Some* stores carry them. Most likely non-GW FLGSs.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BadLlama posted:

You can get em from Warstore for 20% off.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Crosspostin'!

This little nurgling is a teaser for my next project:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Has anyone in the US ordered from antenocitis workshop? I'm wondering what sort of delivery fees I'd be looking at for getting some etched brass stuff.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

The Saddest Robot posted:

Has anyone in the US ordered from antenocitis workshop? I'm wondering what sort of delivery fees I'd be looking at for getting some etched brass stuff.

Don't they do free shipping worldwide if you order over like $50 or thereabouts?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Saddest Robot posted:

I'm waiting on an order from them now, and just got an email saying it was going to be delayed because they were out of stock on some stuff and had to recast it, so their website might not be accurate as to what's actually available.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Just found one of the first minis I painted about 5 years ago. I am not the greatest painter in the world by any means but things have come on since then, even with my sporadic painting:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Heh, yup, I started on black templars too :hfive:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

BULBASAUR posted:

What's the best strategy for painting things like the embossed 'borders' on Chaos shoulder pads and body parts? Do you first paint the embossed 'trim' and then the larger recessed area? Or do you paint the larger recessed area first and then the trim?

I prefer to paint the "deepest" part of the model first so in this case the larger recessed area and then the trim. I've only painted emperors children marines and I use a purple wash in the corner between the large pink area and the black trim to give an impression of a "smoother" transition without having perfect brush control.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Just found one of the first minis I painted about 5 years ago. I am not the greatest painter in the world by any means but things have come on since then, even with my sporadic painting:

I wouldn't be hard on yourself, that model looks good. Aside from the slightly chunky white paint on the bolter and the lack of basing, he looks good to go.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SRM posted:

I wouldn't be hard on yourself, that model looks good. Aside from the slightly chunky white paint on the bolter and the lack of basing, he looks good to go.

I think he's baller as gently caress because he looks like he's squinting angrily at some xenos that's about to get the poo poo bolter'd out of it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The squinting is weird because he's wearing a helmet, but the alternative is that his helmet is always angrily squinting and I support that 3000%.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mark 7 Aquila "Xeno Spotted" Armour

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Pumpkins! I actually painted a bunch of minis that I entered in Wyrd's Halloween painting contest, these I just kind of painted for the hell of it:

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED
I like the cute sleepy pumpkin best. :3:

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Someone posted a link to a tutorial about how to do rusting with blister foam a little while ago (performed on a cryx bonejack) and I forgot to bookmark the site, it had a bunch of great tutorials, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edit: found it http://handcannononline.com/blog/2011/07/25/tutorial-advanced-that-one-hurt-painting-battle-damage/

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 1, 2011

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bachtere posted:

Pumpkins! I actually painted a bunch of minis that I entered in Wyrd's Halloween painting contest, these I just kind of painted for the hell of it:

Where does one find pumpkin miniatures and what are their stats?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Shadeoses posted:

Where does one find pumpkin miniatures and what are their stats?

Spore Mines. :eng101:

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Crosspostin'!

This little nurgling is a teaser for my next project:

If your next project is not a Mordheim Carnival of Chaos warband I will be very disappointed :colbert:

Really cool paintjob on a cool mini there. I really like the base as well.

Speaking of bases, I posted some morat vanguard infantry from infinity earlier earlier and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding how to base them. Ideally I want to do something a bit more fancy that just rocks and grass, any suggestions?

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Simpo posted:

If your next project is not a Mordheim Carnival of Chaos warband I will be very disappointed :colbert:

Maaaybee...

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I love that Nurgle Lord model. I won a painting contest with it once and sold it for a pretty penny on ebay when I ditched my chaos army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Question about the Citadel Mega Paint Set ( http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470003a&prodId=prod1390098a )...

Worth it or not?

• Locked thread