Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

invalid posted:

Kind of begs the questions for me: that shard or whatever that kicks anyone who invaded you, it just says something about future effects or along those lines.

Does that just mean you get invaded a lot more if you keep using it?

No, that's just poorly-translated flavor text that doesn't mean anything.

However, there is an item that lets you get invaded more if you use it. The Dried Finger, found on an isolated ledge in the painted world. Its description is useless and it has no obvious effect, but according to the guide and some experimentation with it, it re-sets your position on the "guys who can be invaded" list, since you are usually automatically protected from consecutive invasions.

I was in the undead parish on NG+, and was invaded by some obvious low-level darkwraith twink with a fog ring, throwing a bunch of pyromancy and using a stupid lightning spear. I dodged his fireball, ignored his prodding, and smashed his loving face in with one R2 leap attack from my +15 Demon Axe and 50 str. I kept using the item, and was invaded by the same guy three times in a row, in under fifteen minutes. Hilarious. It lets you act like a lightning rod for assholes.

Also, the Darkmoon Blades is conceptually the best covenant idea ever. In practice, it's really hard to actually get a good justice-invasion going, because darkwraiths are only invadable while they're in human form, in an area they haven't finished, and not already in the middle of an invasion. It'd be cool as hell if it were possible to intercede in an invasion-in-progress on the host's side. Or invade hollowed darkwraiths - there's no gain or loss of humanity in darkmoon invasions. Anyways, I've got my awesome darkmoon blade spell and my lovely faction talisman, plus like 25 souvenirs of reprisal on top of that. Darkmoon invasions seem to ignore or at least heavily stretch the level limits; I've had good results distributing violent reprisal in the Tomb of the Giants and the Painted World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kild posted:

master key!!

Of course. The only problem is, is that enemies take FOREVER to kill. Just getting to where i can buy some caestus is going to be a chore. Maybe with the master key I can find some nifty shortcut to skip some dudes?

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Well, I gave up on beating the Four Kings without going to Anor Londo first. As soon as I got the crystal ring shield I took them out on my first attempt, SL2 Darkwraith is a go.I've been amusing myself by just using a normal dagger and wearing nothing but the witch's hat, and overall low level PvP is just a lot more fun.

At higher levels everyone is just hurling around incredibly powerful pyromancies and using elemental weapons that kill you in a couple hits, while at low levels you actually get to have some simple, fun swordfights. I ran into a distressing number of presumably modded characters though, wearing full Havel's and using DGS while rolling at full speed, and taking literally 0 damage from any attacks.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

How does the gravelord servant covenant actually work? I put down the symbol but then nothing seemed to happen for 10 minutes so I gave up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Of course. The only problem is, is that enemies take FOREVER to kill. Just getting to where i can buy some caestus is going to be a chore. Maybe with the master key I can find some nifty shortcut to skip some dudes?

Firelink -> New Londo -> Valley -> Basin -> Parish = Blacksmith!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

^^^I'm pretty sure if you turn the game off, the bloodstain will still be there when you return.

Inspired by gimmick run streams, I'm trying one out of my own - PUNCHING. Only fists and fist weapons, no body or head armor. Probably will go with some miracles too, to fit with the whole monk theme. Just finished punching Asylum Demon to death. Not entirely sure how I'll get past Taurus Demon without weapons though.

I've been doing a Caestus run, and it's been _ugly_. Sif was hellish, O&S were worse, and I'm sitting here in Anor Londo wondering if it's even possible to do any of the four bosses coming up.

On the one hand, you'll have Miracles and maybe a Pyro Flame, if you allow that. On the other hand, having armor has saved my bacon quite a lot. If you're some god of Dark Souls, it could be possible--just..., well, I hope you're prepared to die.

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

team overhead smash posted:

How does the gravelord servant covenant actually work? I put down the symbol but then nothing seemed to happen for 10 minutes so I gave up.

I don't think it does. yesterday I spent a few hours giving it an honest shot. Idling as a level 7 sorc. 1 hour in the burg, 2 in parish, 2 in the depths. Nothing really happened. Got a lot of estus. Heard a lot of bells. Saw my fair share of clear ghosts. Yet I didn't get anything. gonna wait till the patch to try again, I guess.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kild posted:

Firelink -> New Londo -> Valley -> Basin -> Parish = Blacksmith!

Flawless plan. IT'S GO TIME.

e: VICTORY, TWO SHINY NEW METAL PUNCHERS.

Now to get back to firelink alive.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 31, 2011

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

What happens is you put down the symbol and curse 3 random players who will get black phantom versions of enemies. The only ways to get rid of the curse is for the gravelord (you) to die or warp out of the area.

In order for it to work properly you need to be eligible for invasion, so that means you need to be in human form and not have killed the boss for that area. The easiest way to check that the curse has went through properly is to go to the fog gate for the boss and try and enter, it should be greyed out and not let you.

One other thing - don't hide the symbol. You earn nothing until players invade you and you'll be bored to tears waiting, so it might as well be put somewhere in the open.

What the black phantom enemies look like:
http://tinyurl.com/3shxt3v
http://tinyurl.com/3ze49uy

The symbol (Which only the cursed can see): http://tinyurl.com/4537nw5

Sleazoid fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 31, 2011

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

The False Face mask scared younger viewers.
:anime: :pipe: :baby:
Does anyone know of a reason why I seemingly cannot get any humanity at all?

I'd been farming rats to try to get 20 more humanity for the dark armour set, whilst using my red eye orb to occasionally invade a world and see if I could get anything. Long story short I was on 18 liquid humanity when I invaded some guy, got killed and now seemingly cannot get any more at all.

I've just done literally over 20 rounds of 14 rats each with something like 390 item discovery and picked up absolutely none. I thought maybe the rats had run out or something and I decided to go use the dark hand on an NPC thinking that would get me the three more I needed, and knowing that I planned on absolving soon anyway. I tried the firekeeper in Anor Londo, it did the animation and everything and she didn't give me any, so then I tried the merchant on the bridge in firelink. Not only did it not give me any but then he aggroed and ran off the edge.

What have I done wrong? :(

Edit: ugh. Sat at the bonfire in the depths to write this comment, and just now did one more round of the rats. After over an hour of getting nothing I just got two humanity in one run.

So was this coincidental or what?

Falsey fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 31, 2011

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
So I've been punching through Sen's Fortress on New Game+, cleared away that one problem that explodes on your head a lot when I've gotten to the top and was working on getting my shortcuts ready I get invaded. I've just jumped across the gap to speak to the merchant and my Black Phantom invader gets up to the other side pretty quick.

We're at a bit of an impasse and I get the thought of "Maybe I could hit him with my crystal shield from here?" when he removes all his gear and puts his weapons away. I couldn't back down, so I do likewise and vault across the gap. We dance about a bit, and then move to a bit more of a roomy area.

What followed was something like twenty minutes or more of us hitting each other with punches that do about 2 hp each time they connect. We're whipping out all the different attacks, hitting each other with back-punches and it becomes obvious that I'm going to win simply based on attrition cause I have more HP than him.

But he sticks to it, and starts beating me into a corner. He's bringing the gap down but he's down to a sliver of health. One big punch, and I managed to riposte him, and it all feels like it's going in slow motion as the last 8 HP of damage the counter does, wipes him out. He fades away as I collapse prostrate onto the blood-smear he leaves behind when he goes.

Dark Souls.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Sleazoid posted:

In order for it to work properly you need to be eligible for invasion, so that means you need to be in human form and not have killed the boss for that area. The easiest way to check that the curse has went through properly is to go to the fog gate for the boss and try and enter, it should be greyed out and not let you.

This is actually false; I've seen black phantom versions of normal enemies in Blight Town despite having killed Quelaag already. I went around looking for the sign but the guy who placed it died before I could sniff it out.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Heavy neutrino posted:

This is actually false; I've seen black phantom versions of normal enemies in Blight Town despite having killed Quelaag already. I went around looking for the sign but the guy who placed it died before I could sniff it out.

The guy using the eye of death has to be eligible for invasion, although I am suprised that you can be 'cursed' even after you've killed the boss. Were you in human form?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'm so happy to discover that Ornstein's armor actually looks pretty decent with the Ancient Skirt. I was so tired of looking like the most unfashionable hobo in Gold-Trimmed Robe, Dusk Crown, and Ancient Skirt (that, and I've encountered several other players in the same exact outfit I was wearing, which rankled me).

Now if only I could find reasonable guilty players to invade instead of twinked-out uber PvPers hanging out with their white phantom buddies waiting to kill poor little SL35 me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well. I see why everybody keeps complaining about Orenstein and Smaugh or however you spell their names now. :staredog:

Was I doing something wrong, or should the fat guy have just smashed me into a corner and done large chunks of my health even though I was blocking?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If you get cornered by them it's pretty hard to get out yeah. Try to get one caught up in the pillars and go from there.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Roguelike posted:

The guy using the eye of death has to be eligible for invasion, although I am suprised that you can be 'cursed' even after you've killed the boss. Were you in human form?

I'm pretty sure I was human; I like getting invaded so I never run around in hollow form.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I've gotten the Gravelord "invasion" message when I was in hollow form, so I don't think that matters.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Dear Gwyn,

Know you'd be dead ten times over if only my ripostes were registering more than once per fight.

Sincerely, myself.

:argh:

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
The ascend weapon option has disappeared from Andre's menu. I've got a +5 weapon and a titanite chunk, and I gave him the large ember when I found it. Anyone know what's going on?

edit: Ah false alarm, I looked again and it was there, I must have just missed it

Brinstar Brew fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 31, 2011

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

StringOfLetters posted:

Also, the Darkmoon Blades is conceptually the best covenant idea ever. In practice, it's really hard to actually get a good justice-invasion going, because darkwraiths are only invadable while they're in human form, in an area they haven't finished, and not already in the middle of an invasion. It'd be cool as hell if it were possible to intercede in an invasion-in-progress on the host's side. Or invade hollowed darkwraiths - there's no gain or loss of humanity in darkmoon invasions. Anyways, I've got my awesome darkmoon blade spell and my lovely faction talisman, plus like 25 souvenirs of reprisal on top of that. Darkmoon invasions seem to ignore or at least heavily stretch the level limits; I've had good results distributing violent reprisal in the Tomb of the Giants and the Painted World.

That's a neat idea. I've been invaded once or twice by darkmoon guys but it's never much more worrying than any normal invasion, and the level differences don't seem to have much impact, I mean even if your level 100 against a level 60, if the low level dude has a maxed out lightning weapon he's going to dish out enough damage to be competitive. It would just be so much cooler if Darkmoon could ruin your day in any place at any time once you've invaded enough people.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm so happy to discover that Ornstein's armor actually looks pretty decent with the Ancient Skirt. I was so tired of looking like the most unfashionable hobo in Gold-Trimmed Robe, Dusk Crown, and Ancient Skirt (that, and I've encountered several other players in the same exact outfit I was wearing, which rankled me).

Now if only I could find reasonable guilty players to invade instead of twinked-out uber PvPers hanging out with their white phantom buddies waiting to kill poor little SL35 me.

The trouble of course with Darkmoon invasions is that the people you're most likely to invade are twinked out PvPers, because they're the ones accumulating the most indictments.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
EDIT: ^^^ Pretty much what he said.

NoneSuch posted:

That's a neat idea. I've been invaded once or twice by darkmoon guys but it's never much more worrying than any normal invasion, and the level differences don't seem to have much impact, I mean even if your level 100 against a level 60, if the low level dude has a maxed out lightning weapon he's going to dish out enough damage to be competitive. It would just be so much cooler if Darkmoon could ruin your day in any place at any time once you've invaded enough people.

In my experience, Darkwraiths are just a whole lot more dangerous than either the Darkmoon or Forest Covenant invaders, partly because the requirements for joining the Darkwraiths are so steep. While people fall into the blue phantom covenants with their main characters, Darkwraiths are almost always going to be optimized for PvP.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This all makes me think the covenant system is just a shittier version of world tendency. At least with world tendency you didn't have to jump through hoops to get to basic gameplay elements like invading. I want to try out other stuff, like the gravelord servent, but then I lose my ability to invade.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Dizz posted:

If i died and turned off the game after respawning at the bonfire, would I lose those souls? I'm kinda really tired and agitated right now as I died with 40k souls due to double knockbacks and I have no idea if i'm closer to a firelink shortcut or what. I'm literally sitting on no arrows as well so pulling mobs got more annoying.

Your bloodstain will remain regardless of where you go or what you do until you die. Even turning off the game/signing out, so come back to it with a fresh head.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Your bloodstain will remain regardless of where you go or what you do until you die. Even turning off the game/signing out, so come back to it with a fresh head.

Chances are I will get back to the game only to die on the first enemy I find. oh well.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Dying in Anor Londo to the one Mimic I don't test-poke, and then accidentally rolling off a catwalk and dying on my way back through Sen's(Since I didn't realize there was a bonfire), and losing 50k souls.

Also, the first death I had since trying to beat the Asylum Demon at the beginning of the game. Oh, Dark Souls :allears:

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Level 1 run continues:

https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
I'm in Anor Londo where you get sniped by the 2 black knights. This part is ruining the game for me.

Dark Souls has suddenly gone from "difficult" to retarded fat kid screaming "HEY LOOK AT THOSE TWO BIGASS KNIGHTS SNIPING YOU AND MAKING YOU REPEAT THIS PART OVER AND OVER, CANT YOU SEE HOW HARD AND GRATUITOUSLY UNFAIR THIS GAME IS? ISN'T IT COOL? HARD HARD HARD HARD"

Also gently caress From Software. Those arrows don't just knock you back, they knock you back and a little to the side, where you will meet your certain death. Good job on contradicting your own gameplay rules and making the game unfair I suppose.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Paino posted:

I'm in Anor Londo where you get sniped by the 2 black knights. This part is ruining the game for me.

Dark Souls has suddenly gone from "difficult" to retarded fat kid screaming "HEY LOOK AT THOSE TWO BIGASS KNIGHTS SNIPING YOU AND MAKING YOU REPEAT THIS PART OVER AND OVER, CANT YOU SEE HOW HARD AND GRATUITOUSLY UNFAIR THIS GAME IS? ISN'T IT COOL? HARD HARD HARD HARD"

Also gently caress From Software. Those arrows don't just knock you back, they knock you back and a little to the side, where you will meet your certain death. Good job on contradicting your own gameplay rules and making the game unfair I suppose.

In the little platform where the three or four gargoyles are at before you make the dash upstairs, you can snipe the knight on the right side with poison arrows from the right edge of the front left pillar. If you position yourself correctly the left side knight won't be able to see you and the right side knight (who you are shooting at) will only hit the pillar

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 31, 2011

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I hate to be that guy, but I don't really see what's so difficult about that spot. If you just run, they can never hit you. Once you're at the top, inch your way to the right, keeping your back diagonally towards the wall. The guy on the left can't hit you, and you will just be knocked into the wall by the other guy. Take him out, then go for the other one. On the long list of difficult places in Dark Souls, I probably wouldn't even remember that part if people didn't keep bringing it up.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Another method for the snipers:
Run up with shield up to the right one (you might get hit on the way there, but it should work out), and when he draws his sword, turn around and run to the other knight. The one behind you will fall to his death, and you'll have only one knight to worry about. Or just screw it, the level proceeds to the right, so you can go back and go on. A bonfire will be behind the door to the left.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Paino posted:

Actually the knockback is consistent with the way it works everywhere else in the game - it's just not as important elsewhere. The giant arrows knock you back directly away from the direction your shield is pointing in, so if you are running with your face angled into the wall it will knock you away from the wall and off.

The trick is to resist the urge to hug the wall so "safely" and look in the direction you're moving, 90 degress to the wall, and the arrow will only ever knock you along the ledge. Once you're close enough to lock on it's a simple case of edging closer until he draws his sword and throws himself off when he swings at you.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Hakkesshu posted:

I hate to be that guy, but I don't really see what's so difficult about that spot. If you just run, they can never hit you. Once you're at the top, inch your way to the right, keeping your back diagonally towards the wall. The guy on the left can't hit you, and you will just be knocked into the wall by the other guy. Take him out, then go for the other one. On the long list of difficult places in Dark Souls, I probably wouldn't even remember that part if people didn't keep bringing it up.

People bring it up because it's hard. I killd Sif at lvl 31 with a +5 Spear on my second try before even getting to the Capra demon (yeah hooray me for not reading guides I suppose). It took me almost one hour. It was crazy difficult, but fairer and way way less retarded than this.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I also didn't find that place rage inducing as others have since it's so easy to run up to the one on the right and bait him to fall. ToG without a light source in the beginning and fighting the skeledogs which rips through full Havel+shield with the four chomps on the other hand was far worse for me.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Marogareh posted:

I also didn't find that place rage inducing as others have since it's so easy to run up to the one on the right and bait him to fall. ToG without a light source in the beginning and fighting the skeledogs which rips through full Havel+shield with the four chomps on the other hand was far worse for me.

I waited until I got the Sunlight Maggot before making my ToG run, and it's pretty enjoyable. I dipped my toes in the Tomb when I picked up the light spell, but it was a pain in the rear end, so I came back later.

Anyone hating on the ToG should really go pick up the sunlight maggot first, that area is pretty fun when you've got a hands free light source

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Yeah, I don't get it either. I've been a fatty this entire game and have done that bit several times without a problem by just running full tilt up the ramp. I've only died a couple of times, once on my first attempt AFTER taking out the guy on the right and getting cocky with the one on the left and once as a white phantom by clutzing up in melee against the one on the right. I've NEVER had a problem running up that ramp in 50%+ encumbrance.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Paino posted:

People bring it up because it's hard. I killd Sif at lvl 31 with a +5 Spear on my second try before even getting to the Capra demon (yeah hooray me for not reading guides I suppose). It took me almost one hour. It was crazy difficult, but fairer and way way less retarded than this.

It's... not actually hard, though, you're just having trouble with learning from your mistakes. There is a trick to it that you're not seeing. I've done that three for three and have never failed at it, and one of those times was in darkened Anor Londo. It's literally just "run up the way, face the wall, roll under the one arrow it will pull off, brush up tenderly and put your shield up so he falls off when he tries to hit you a few times". It's not difficult, you just have to not be twitchy.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
If you have the Hidden Body sorcery, Fog Ring, or Slumbering Dragon Ring, you can largely ignore those two snipers. The Hidden Body spell lasts for about a minute, giving you ample time to reach the ledge with the right archer. From there it's just a matter of taking them out, be it with pyromancy, sorcery, or just tricking them into falling off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
True story, I actually died more to the gargoyles than those two knights (although they got me a couple times before I got past that part). Mainly because I was using the Lightning Spear, which the Gargoyles are insanely resistant to. Once I started using my bow and the Crystal Halberd from the mimic, that got easier. I've never actually been hit on the way up the ramp though, just shot off the top part.

In other news, boy, Priscilla's a lot more fragile than I remember her being. Stupid tail.

• Locked thread