Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

20 bucks. I might be paranoid as gently caress but I refuse to use scissor jacks. They scare the poo poo out of me for exactly that reason.
I hope you guys use jackstands. I don't get under a car unless it's on stands. Don't rely on any jack to hold a lifted car stably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Ford Explorer bottle jacks are actually pretty good and quite small. I'd use one of those over a scissor jack. They are also a hot item and junk yards, so good luck finding one.

Same thing in the entire F-series and Expeditions/excursions. Plastic wing nut under the fron passenger's seat, pull out the plastic tray. If unmolested there will be a wrench/iron and the jack. The jack handle should be under the hood across the radiator.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jeep XJ/MJ/ZJ bottle jacks are pretty OK too. I've tipped one over but it was because I was on a slick surface (black ice) and being an idiot. Even so it only bent the crank/handle and the jack itself was unharmed.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

peepsalot posted:

I hope you guys use jackstands. I don't get under a car unless it's on stands. Don't rely on any jack to hold a lifted car stably.

The only reason I didn't have mine on them was because I figured I was only dealing with one wheel, so there'd be no need to use them. (FAT CHANCE DOUCHENOZZLE LOL.)

I'm just a bit reluctant to go all out because where I live now, if you have a car up for any reason the homeowners' association naturally considers it to be precisely the same as putting a rusted mid-1980s Chevette up on cinderblocks for an indefinite period of time, and they send people out to bug you until you stop beating your wife, listening to southern rock, and drinking wine coolers.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Rujo King posted:

The only reason I didn't have mine on them was because I figured I was only dealing with one wheel, so there'd be no need to use them. (FAT CHANCE DOUCHENOZZLE LOL.)

I'm just a bit reluctant to go all out because where I live now, if you have a car up for any reason the homeowners' association naturally considers it to be precisely the same as putting a rusted mid-1980s Chevette up on cinderblocks for an indefinite period of time, and they send people out to bug you until you stop beating your wife, listening to southern rock, and drinking wine coolers.

Please tell me you spend sunny Saturdays chilling in a lawn chair on your driveway wearing a Speedo and sipping Smirnoff Ice.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Ford Explorer bottle jacks are actually pretty good and quite small. I'd use one of those over a scissor jack. They are also a hot item and junk yards, so good luck finding one.

80 series Landcruisers (91-97) have bottle jacks as well. In the back, left side, remove the panel.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

peepsalot posted:

I have a coworker who constantly claims "jackstands are for pussies" because he's never had a jack fail.

You'd think a mechanical engineer would be smarter than that, but no.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rujo King posted:

this is why HOAs are the devil, especially for ham radio and AI types. Also why I refused to even consider any property burdened with HOA covenants when I was in the market, seeing as I am a ham operator and an AI type...

buncha fun-killing party poopers I tell you :colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Harbor freight has some pretty baller ones for cheap. Wouldn't trust my life with them but they're actually a lot better than the one that came in my ranger.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kastein posted:

this is why HOAs are the devil, especially for ham radio and AI types. Also why I refused to even consider any property burdened with HOA covenants when I was in the market, seeing as I am a ham operator and an AI type...

buncha fun-killing party poopers I tell you :colbert:

Stealth antennas!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

kastein posted:

seeing as I am a ham operator and an AI type...
Have you visited the official SA Amateur Radio thread yet?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Visibly not too impressive, but a Jeep Grand Cherokee came in running rough the other day and my coworker found that this part here....fell out. Consider that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Somebody once remarked, possibly in this very thread, that you could cement those jeeps together to build a bunker that would survive the nuclear apocalypse, then chip them out and fire them up to take over the wasteland.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Javid posted:

Somebody once remarked, possibly in this very thread, that you could cement those jeeps together to build a bunker that would survive the nuclear apocalypse, then chip them out and fire them up to take over the wasteland.

Not the grand's.. they're an entirely different beast then the old "can't kill em" ones.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

quote:

jack / jackstand talk

I have had to use a scissor jack for real car work before in a pinch because my floor jack decided that it wanted to start to leak when I was working on a car and most store were closed / I didn't want to make a trip....

BUT.. it was NEVER used for support, the car went up, got dropped on jack stands (I always use 2 on the side I'm working on). I also try to put the tires under the frame of the car for just 1 more point of protection.

I've seen some terrible mechanical failures of jacks / scissor jacks.. and people who think jack stands are for pussies must think that wheelchairs or missing / prosthetic arms are super cool.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
As a guy who had a car settle onto his chest, I'm wary even under a lift or jackstands. It takes me twice as long as anyone else to do anything to an E30 because half my time is spent making sure the car is stable enough for MY standards.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

After I put my car up on jackstands, I always put the jack right under the rear diff or the front crossmember, at the point of it just starting to put pressure onto the car. I figure if a jackstand fails, the jack should hopefully save me.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Javid posted:

I discovered this weekend that my Cherokee has been running for about 2 months with no oil. True story. They really are fool proof.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

tater_salad posted:

BUT.. it was NEVER used for support, the car went up, got dropped on jack stands (I always use 2 on the side I'm working on). I also try to put the tires under the frame of the car for just 1 more point of protection.

Yea, pretty much this.

You have to be pretty retarded to use a scissor jack for support. Even if you for whatever reason don't have a jack stand, use your spare tire, a brick or whatever.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Javid posted:

It may have been me as I think I posted photos of my buddy's Cherokee that had the 4.0l 6 cylinder (same from the Wranglers), which are the "cant kill em" engines. He hydro locked, and bent and twisted two rods while at the mud hole. Still drove it home about 40 miles, which a nice knock.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MomJeans420 posted:

After I put my car up on jackstands, I always put the jack right under the rear diff or the front crossmember, at the point of it just starting to put pressure onto the car. I figure if a jackstand fails, the jack should hopefully save me.

This is me. I'm also the guy that carries a floor jack and 2 stands in his trunk at all times. :blush:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

Stealth antennas!

Not so great performance wise, especially on HF. Soon as I finish fixing the house I need to get the HF rig on the air, and finish building the kilowatt amp I started collecting parts for in 2008... and I just picked up 80+ feet of truss to build a tower with yesterday.

nmfree posted:

Have you visited the official SA Amateur Radio thread yet?

You know what's funny? I did, using my old account. Check for posts by CompHobbyist. Sadly I couldn't find a single way to get that account back, as I forgot the password years ago, don't remember which email it was on, and lost access to the email addresses I was using back then years ago also, with no real way to get them back. I emailed support about it with a fair bit of proof that I was who I claimed to be, but got no answer, so I just gave up and made a new account.

anonumos posted:

I discovered this weekend that my Cherokee has been running for about 2 months with no oil. True story. They really are fool proof.

I did around a hundred miles (over the course of a few months) with no oil in my MJ's 4.0L this summer. It had such a bad rear main seal and valve cover gasket leak that it was losing multiple quarts a day, and sometimes I'd forget to bring spare oil with me. I ended up pouring used oil in it a couple times (who cares if it's new or used? It's gonna leak out in a hundred miles anyways...) and a few other times just got frustrated and drove it home with the lifters rattling. At one point I had it bouncing off the rev limiter for a few minutes with no oil in it - was at the bottom of a long, slick hill with bald mismatched street tires on it (and only rear wheel drive) and had to get home. Put my foot on the floor and steered, ended up making it up the hill. Still has perfect oil pressure, 50psi cold 40psi hot running 20psi hot idle, at 240 thousand miles, after that.

I have no idea how it survived. The only real way to kill a 4.0 is to drown it, and even then they usually live for another few hundred miles. Even during cash for clunkers they had to pour the silicate solution in and then drive them around the dealership lot to get them to seize up, a lot of 4.0s wouldn't seize just running at idle.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dor1 posted:

Yea, pretty much this.

You have to be pretty retarded to use a scissor jack for support. Even if you for whatever reason don't have a jack stand, use your spare tire, a brick or whatever.

There's no reason not to have jack stands. You can pick up a pair for $20, and using them adds a negligible amount of time to whatever you are doing.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Just hope you never have to use the Volkswagen "widowmaker" emergency jack

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

jeff8472 posted:

:psyboom: That's all kinds of wrong. Is that a plastic bit that the thread runs through, in some flimsy stamped sheet steel?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

1) You're an idiot if you get under a car that is missing any parts without a jackstand. I admit, I'll crawl under from the side with just a floor jack (not the factory bullshit, see below), but as soon as there's a wheel off or other component that will allow the car to go ALL the way down? There's a jackstand under that bitch.

2) Some OEM jacks are exercises in the absurd. We dropped a brand new, $40k Mercedes in ~1987, when $40k cars were expensive. Using the factory jack on a flat, concrete garage floor.

The right rear wheel had a flat and we were changing it. Used the factory jack in the factory location. For those cars, there were holes in the side that you put a rod from the jack into, then cranked the jack up. The problem was that the jack had a 4-loving-inch wide base, which was about as stable as a Kardashian marriage. We got the wheel off, only to watch the jack slowly pivot and dump the car onto the ground. Luckily no damange, but goddamn.

What does a "jack" like that look like? Gaze upon its majesty:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

meatpimp posted:

We got the wheel off, only to watch the jack slowly pivot and dump the car onto the ground. Luckily no damange, but goddamn.

I change my mother's Merc's tires every spring and autumn with such a jack, it never pivots off because I remember to put the parking brake on first.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Those jacks are also good for making a height-adjustable table/workbench.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Made by Bilstein IIRC

hagrd
Aug 25, 2003

jeff8472 posted:

Heh. Granted, not the most confidence inspiring contraption, but they do work. I've used mine with no trouble, for close to 10 years by now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jeff8472 posted:

no thank you. I can't even look at this picture without cringing.

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

no thank you. I can't even look at this picture without cringing.

But how did this happen? I am not a fan of VW's engineering quality at all, but it doesn't seem to be damage which could have been inflicted by this jack.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Mo Hawk posted:

But how did this happen? I am not a fan of VW's engineering quality at all, but it doesn't seem to be damage which could have been inflicted by this jack.

I don't know if that damage is related, but it could be a result of the car falling backward and then left if it was a result. Typically people have hit something like a ditch to induce that sort of damage.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Or tried jacking from the wrong point and buckled the bodywork?

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Those VW-style jacks are pretty bad. My Volvo 850 had one, and there was only one jack point on the middle of each side of the car. Taking up two wheels at once on a heavy sedan with that piece of poo poo was frightening. Fortunately, I never needed to use it by the side of the road.

Yes, the jack screw threads into a plastic (nylon?) bit which pivots as the jack is raised.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

meatpimp posted:

1) You're an idiot if you get under a car that is missing any parts without a jackstand. I admit, I'll crawl under from the side with just a floor jack (not the factory bullshit, see below), but as soon as there's a wheel off or other component that will allow the car to go ALL the way down? There's a jackstand under that bitch.

2) Some OEM jacks are exercises in the absurd. We dropped a brand new, $40k Mercedes in ~1987, when $40k cars were expensive. Using the factory jack on a flat, concrete garage floor.

The right rear wheel had a flat and we were changing it. Used the factory jack in the factory location. For those cars, there were holes in the side that you put a rod from the jack into, then cranked the jack up. The problem was that the jack had a 4-loving-inch wide base, which was about as stable as a Kardashian marriage. We got the wheel off, only to watch the jack slowly pivot and dump the car onto the ground. Luckily no damange, but goddamn.

Bahahahaha! My VW camper has one of those. They are evil. To prove to myself how useless they are I tried jacking up one of the rear wheels while it was parked on a level slab of concrete. Barely got it off the ground before it started to pivot. Used to have a photo but it's not in my archive. drat. Jacking that thing up is always a bastard because of the ground clearance. No matter what, Bilstein jacks are designed primarily to kill people.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Yeah these jacks are loving stupid. There one that comes with E34s is similar. Instead of having a hole in the side, there's just a little notch and lip that the tip hooks into on the side of the pinch weld. Looks like this

Also notice that its not even a right angle like your relatively nice one. This one has to sit at like a variable 20 degree angle and try to drag your car sideways while lifting it. Too much angle and the smooth bottom of the jack slips and probably puts a hole in your rocker. Not enough and the thing drives the top into the door. The base is also like 3" wide, so even if you set the brake, it might not be enough to keep it from tipping. I tried to use it once for some stupid reason, and I learned that an e34 540i at least has large enough rear brake rotors that the car would be unharmed and have space to jack it back up should the piece of poo poo fall over sideways.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
BMW had the best spare tire jack with the E36. It's similar to that merc jack posted above, but there is a hole in the frame that you slide the jack into. Not only is it ridiculously stable, it is really handy for lowered cars. My wonky driveway means my e36 is too low to get a jack under the front crossmember, so I just use the factory jack to raise up one side and then lower the front onto my floor jack.

I actually had someone stop and comment one day when I was changing a tire using that jack.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

meatpimp posted:

This looks similar to the jack in my old 1970 Toronado, which was taller and lifted the car by its bumper. I had to use it once. Very scary, but it got the tire changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The factory jack for my 840 looks like this. I'd never get under the car with this supporting it, but it's been a hell of a lot more stable / easy to use than factory scissor jacks I've dealt with. Have to set the parking brake hard and be on level ground though, I can't imagine using it at all if these conditions aren't met.