Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Mio Bison posted:

If you're a minmax monster and/or want to beat all of the optional content you should crank Strength, learn physical attacks and never ever drop Focus. If you just want to scrape through the storyline there's nothing wrong with Magic, you can get through most of this game even on Hard Mode with nothing more than Tornado/Fog Breath/War Cry.

Just to add to this, you need a pretty decent Strength stat to get one of the magatama so you can get the ultimate one, so there's even more reason to boost Strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Alright thanks for the advice, how do I learn focus? Do I just get it from a Magatama later in the game?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah, Focus appears on the Kamudo magatama, which you can get right before the encounter with Matador IIRC.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Alright so I am absolutely rubbish at allocating stats. While I'm cranking strength should I be keeping my vitality at the same levels as my other demons? What about agility and luck etc, should I just ignore those?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not really an exact science, and there really isn't a "you must do it this way or else" sort of approach to it. I wouldn't neglect any one particular stat. Keep in mind that your stats are going to wildly fluctuate anyway as you ingest different magatamas, so your overall makeup is going to be changing a lot no matter what you do. Maybe go Strength-Vitality-Strength-Magic-Strength-Agility-Strength-Luck for a while?

Just don't get any one stat past 30 (I believe that's the number), because the ultimate magatama is +10 to most stats and you'd be wasting points (as I believe the maximum is 40). And also keep in mind that you are not going to really reap the benefits of a high-Strength build until towards the end, so for a while you are going to want some points in Magic as well anyway. It's a fluid process, you might go through a period where you feel like you could really use some more HP and thus pump Vitality for a bit, or maybe you're tired of having the slowest character in your party be your demifiend and thus give some Agility for a bit.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

A mage build is very viable in Nocturne. I rolled a force/ice mage on my first run and kicked all sorts of rear end with it. You get Tornado, a powerful force attack, very early on, and that can basically last you through the rest of the game. I definitely recommend running with two or even three elements in case you run into something with inconvenient resists, the appropriate elemental boost skills, and then maybe filling your remaining slots with a buff/debuff or healing spell.

Magic is obviously the most important stat; raise it as high as possible as soon as possible. Agility is probably the second most important stat, and then luck. Strength is nice towards the endgame, but then you'll have enough points to sink into it anyway. I pretty much ignore vitality most of the time - kill things fast enough and without spending HP on physical moves, no need to boost your health much.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I just beat Devil Survivor last week and since then I've been obsessively fusing all the best demons and getting all of the other endings. Is there any bonus to unlocking all of the endings? I'm just wondering if I should tackle the optional boss on my final playthrough or start another one once I've finished.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
No bonus to getting multiple endings aside from any demons you unlock from a couple of paths.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

No bonus to getting multiple endings aside from any demons you unlock from a couple of paths.

Well, there is a bonus of some kind: being on a new game + grants you a small bonus of +1 move to your main character. I don't know if there more of those you get when you complete more endings, though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Iceclaw posted:

Well, there is a bonus of some kind: being on a new game + grants you a small bonus of +1 move to your main character. I don't know if there more of those you get when you complete more endings, though.

Nope. NG+ bonuses are main character's move +1 first time (making it 4), and XP limiters are turned off. That's all, and so there's no reward for unlocking all the endings as a result.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
I dunno if I'm just really slow or what, but I just realized that the P4 school uniform symbol is an inverted Mercedes hood ornament type dealie... the P3 one being a BMW look alike was something I noticed right away so I'm kind of shocked I'm only just now noticing this even though its a pretty weird trend in the first place.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Not for sure if this has been posted yet but I thought I would share it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114189-Persona-4-Is-Now-a-Stage-Show

First Persona 4 the game, then the anime, next a fighting game, and now a stage play!

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

ToxicToast posted:

Not for sure if this has been posted yet but I thought I would share it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114189-Persona-4-Is-Now-a-Stage-Show

First Persona 4 the game, then the anime, next a fighting game, and now a stage play!

http://tinyurl.com/cdyof8n

The two sports guys have higher billings than kanji, rise, naoto or teddie.

What.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Authorman posted:

http://tinyurl.com/cdyof8n

The two sports guys have higher billings than kanji, rise, naoto or teddie.

What.

Nagase And Ichijo Are Dead.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with JRPGs, but are all SMT games down to a roll of the dice as Devil Survivor? I finally beat the battle with Gin and Azuma, but a couple of my failures were because he managed to get petrified then killed. Some even before my second turn. Or because I got down to one Shomonkai and figured I could hold back and heal a bit, and he managed to die to him too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fooley posted:

Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with JRPGs, but are all SMT games down to a roll of the dice as Devil Survivor? I finally beat the battle with Gin and Azuma, but a couple of my failures were because he managed to get petrified then killed. Some even before my second turn. Or because I got down to one Shomonkai and figured I could hold back and heal a bit, and he managed to die to him too.

Devil survivor is pretty bad about making you protect allies that can die way too easily. Other games in the series aren't turn based strategy, so you don't have to worry about protecting NPC's and the like. There still is some luck involved, (insta-kills, status effects), but generally part of the series' strategy is setting up builds that can nullify these things.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

Devil survivor is pretty bad about making you protect allies that can die way too easily. Other games in the series aren't turn based strategy, so you don't have to worry about protecting NPC's and the like. There still is some luck involved, (insta-kills, status effects), but generally part of the series' strategy is setting up builds that can nullify these things.
DS gives you tools to deal with it though, like healers, guys that swap location with an NPC, guys that can increase your move to get in range.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
In Nocturne, how does learning skills work when you've already surpassed the level you're supposed to learn it at. Plus, I looked at a strategy guide and saw that you get Pierce from the original Magatama you're given, but its at level 1? How do you unlock that?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

AlternateNu posted:

In Nocturne, how does learning skills work when you've already surpassed the level you're supposed to learn it at. Plus, I looked at a strategy guide and saw that you get Pierce from the original Magatama you're given, but its at level 1? How do you unlock that?

I believe you'll get it at your next level up (when you have that Magatama equipped).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yes. The level is just the point where you're first able to get it, not an absolute "now or never" thing.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You get Pierce by finishing the Amala Labyrinth. Just remember that this locks you onto the True Demon Ending.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
This means you still can get Dante and Super Pixie without locking yourself to the True Demon. (Is it bad that I want to play this game again?)

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Mitsuru and Akihiko confirmed for Mayonaka Arena, apparently.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Knew it was going to be those two. Akihiko just screamed perfect fit with his whole shtick being boxing anyways, and Mitsuru is probably tagging along with Aigis investigating just what went down in Inaba.

Here's a magazine scan of the two.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 16, 2011

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

Knew it was going to be those two. Akihiko just screamed perfect fit with his whole shtick being boxing anyways, and Mitsuru is probably tagging along with Aigis investigating just what went down in Inaba.

Here's a magazine scan of the two.

Oh man... Akihiko versus Kanji. That could get double weird in the English version.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
I guess Akihiko really likes BB because goddamn if he's not looking kinda Bang

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nessa posted:

Oh man... Akihiko versus Kanji. That could get double weird in the English version.

Why would it be? They had different voice actors if that's what you're alluding to.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

Why would it be? They had different voice actors if that's what you're alluding to.

Nevermind then. I have no idea why, but I was thinking that Troy Baker also did Akihiko, but I was wrong.

Still, it would be cool to get some funny dialogue out of Kanji when he faces Akihiko, since he's shirtless and all. I know Blazblue had some great dialogue depending on who was fighting who. Like Noel's "Ragna the Bloodedge, you're stupid!!"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nessa posted:

Nevermind then. I have no idea why, but I was thinking that Troy Baker also did Akihiko, but I was wrong.

Still, it would be cool to get some funny dialogue out of Kanji when he faces Akihiko, since he's shirtless and all. I know Blazblue had some great dialogue depending on who was fighting who. Like Noel's "Ragna the Bloodedge, you're stupid!!"
Yeah for a serious fighting game BB had lots of effort put into the single player story and flavor dialogue, if they don't do it for a fanservice game they'd be idiots

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

When playing as Mitsuru, you will only be able to cast Tentarafoo, Mind Charge and Spirit Drain.

All of your attack buttons will instead cast Marin Karin (it will miss though)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Spiffo posted:

All of your attack buttons will instead cast Marin Karin (it will miss though)

It's funny because it's true.

Mitsuru im dying

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Some bigger screenshots of Akihiko and Mitsuru. Mitsuru has learned how to use something other then Marin Karin, kidding aside the Bufudyne looks like it hurts alot judging by how much of Yukiko's health is red. Akihiko though... take that cape off, it looks ridiculous on you.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

Some bigger screenshots of Akihiko and Mitsuru. Mitsuru has learned how to use something other then Marin Karin, kidding aside the Bufudyne looks like it hurts alot judging by how much of Yukiko's health is red. Akihiko though... take that cape off, it looks ridiculous on you.

That cape is probably one of the worst design decisions ever.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Close up of the previous scans, showing off their full outfits. My first reaction is :psyduck: and then "daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn girl" over that coat of Mitsuru's.

What the gently caress Akihiko though, seriously.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Technique posted:

That cape is probably one of the worst design decisions ever.

On the other hand, Mitsuru is looking slick as hell. :kamina:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I think they both look great.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Axle_Stukov posted:

Christ, Akihiko looks straight out of Street Fighter or King of Fighters. Especially with that bizarre scar. I'm not sure if it's :allears: or :gay:

And I don't know when Mitsuru got a catsuit, but :drat:

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
Akihiko looks weird, but I like Mitsuru's new design. Although I'm wondering if her rapier is some kind of lightsaber or if it just has a red blade.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Those redesigns are god damned bizarre. It is like they wandered in from another universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Both look pretty baller, but college must have been kinda rough on Akihiko though, lol.