Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

During Halloween in Demon's Souls, FS would jack up the world tendency to all black. Does anyone know if they are doing something similar for Dark Souls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006
^^^ I'm not sure if there's a central server, so it's unlikely.

Elysiume posted:

Someone said
on gamefaqs.

Also,
:crossarms:

edit: And another guy thought the undead dragon's butt was Priscilla.

Ahahaha... People complain about product tie-in's in games, but that would've been amazing.

Also, this guy is hilariously bad, this must be what it's like for people who've never played DeS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuoUf9F4Y8

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
try grabbing a ranged weapon of some kind, and hitting them with it as they come after you then retreat, won't be quick, but quicker than running in there berserker style and getting killed and having to start again.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Sumadartson posted:

^^^ I'm not sure if there's a central server, so it's unlikely.

Ahahaha... People complain about product tie-in's in games, but that would've been amazing.

Also, this guy is hilariously bad, this must be what it's like for people who've never played DeS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuoUf9F4Y8

Is this... Is this legitimate? This seems like too dumb to be a real thing.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
With all the CoD references, it's either a sattire or someone who's never played a game with an actual challenge against NPCs.

Good Person
Nov 5, 2007

i can sense it in my feet

Zain posted:

Is this... Is this legitimate? This seems like too dumb to be a real thing.

I imagine this is normal from someone new to the game. I was same, in Demon's Souls.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Can some explain how to select a catalyst? I feel really stupid, but I'm confused about Int scaling vs MagAdj- it feels like I can just rock on the default sorc catalyst for all of my playthroughs?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Most videos like that of people getting angry at hard games or scared at scary games are usually just being played up. Like the 2 girls 1 cup vids they're done for attention and people watch them cause they have nothing better to do.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Sumadartson posted:

Hahaha. That's absolutely hysterical.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Against 4 Kings I am trying to wear stone armor and cast Iron Flesh but I can't cover the distance between the first king and myself in time- he swings his 100 foot sword at me and then does this flying leap backwards, creating even more space and then launches purple magic. Anytime I get close he warps away.

Ideas?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Defghanistan posted:

Against 4 Kings I am trying to wear stone armor and cast Iron Flesh but I can't cover the distance between the first king and myself in time- he swings his 100 foot sword at me and then does this flying leap backwards, creating even more space and then launches purple magic. Anytime I get close he warps away.

Ideas?

A strong ranged option like crystal ring shield or pyromancy maybe?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

areyoucontagious posted:

Can some explain how to select a catalyst? I feel really stupid, but I'm confused about Int scaling vs MagAdj- it feels like I can just rock on the default sorc catalyst for all of my playthroughs?

As far as I know the MagAdj scales according to weapon scaling, so base MagAdj + Int * Scaling Factor. I think there's a soft max as well, so the base Sorcerer's Catalyst will outperform the Tin Banishment at high enough int.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

BigLeafyTree posted:

A strong ranged option like crystal ring shield or pyromancy maybe?

I am doing this at level 10. My gear is lightning spear +3 and stone armor. I am just more curious about how to cover the distance as melee. My last playthrough I did it as a pro and aced these guys easily, but jesus melee has it rough in this game.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

areyoucontagious posted:

Always pick the one with the highest MagAdjust. The numbers shown on the equip screen already take into account your INT stat and so you are presented with the final MagAdjust number.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Defghanistan posted:

Ideas?

Crystal Ring Shield, but you'll feel like a scrub.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So am I correct in thinking that Ornstein's armor can't be upgraded? I was thinking it'd be a nice bit of mid-weight armor to wear around (tired of getting smacked in Gold-Hemmed), but with no upgrading it seems kind of meh.

Are there better 30-ish weight options out there?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Buffer posted:

As far as I know the MagAdj scales according to weapon scaling, so base MagAdj + Int * Scaling Factor. I think there's a soft max as well, so the base Sorcerer's Catalyst will outperform the Tin Banishment at high enough int.

Can I upgrade catalysts in any way?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
That's right, Ornestein's armour set can't be upgraded which is a real shame. But hey, you get the best looking armour set as well.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Lautrec Darkwraith Thorns Black Knight & Paladin are the best medium weight armors that need to be upgraded.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Paladin > Lautrec imo, but I still have yet to get the Darkwraith set (I'm camped at the second bonfire in ToG right now, getting ready to go kill babies for an hour tonight).

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

None of those armor sets are really particularly impressive. I mean, I can understand wearing them if you want to look cool, but when it comes to actual armor you are better of putting together a set piecemeal. In general, you want to wear as much heavy armor as you can, as heavy armor has more poise for the weight.

If you don't have enough weight allowance to wear all heavy armor, you want to wear as many heavy pieces as you can while wearing light stuff for the rest. If you are trying to keep your weight down, for example, you could wear the mask of the father, giant/smeough body armor and gauntlets, and antiquated skirt legs. You'll look stupid, but you'll have good defensive values. If you have the weight allowance, you can replace the skirt for something heavier. With the ring of favor and protection, wood grain ring, and 40 end, you can be flipping around in mask of the father and smeough armor while still having enough weight for a claymore and hollow soldier shield.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 31, 2011

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So I can attest to the Great fireball to the tail will drop it in one go. I still hate killing the crossbread :(

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Elysiume posted:

Stuff about Priscilla's tail.

I used Moonlight Greatsword. Two-handed it and hit her tail with the R1 (downward slash) to aggro her. When she went invisible I hit her a couple of times with the one handed R1 (wide horizontal swings) to get her to reappear and then used more downward slashes on her tail.

I don't know if there's anything to it but the two-handed claymore R1 attack (the one the Moonlight Sword uses) is a chopping motion so it seemed good for chopping off her tail.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Level 1 Poo throwing Grave(Troll)Lord burg curser complete. Many fun times were had on stream today, I hope those of you that watched got a few laughs.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

armor

Why would I sacrifice a ring slot and my helmet just to wear heavy armor? What I'm trying to say is, if you plan ahead and min/max your character beforehand, you should have more than enough endurance to be able to equip a medium set without having to make sacrifices just to get a small boost from whatever heavy stuff you can equip minus the helm, while not wasting time with equip burden rings.

Besides, in PVP all of this is moot because tranquil walk exists, and all the armor in the world isn't going to save you from a Lightning Thief Dagger +5 backstab with Hornet Ring, so you might as well look cool.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
So, assuming the Grave Lord mark appears where you stand, what would be the lamest places to hang out?

I was thinking the pit with two titanite demons in Sen's Fortress would be good. I don't even want to think about how bad getting cursed in Tomb of the Giants or Demon Ruins would be.

Do you get an eye of death if an infected player dies without invading you? Or is it only if you kill an invading player in PvP?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is there an actual possible way of getting dragon scales? There aren't 30 in the game and the only people who bother touching my dragon stone mark are crazy max level japanese pvp people.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Nechronic posted:

So, assuming the Grave Lord mark appears where you stand, what would be the lamest places to hang out?

I was thinking the pit with two titanite demons in Sen's Fortress would be good. I don't even want to think about how bad getting cursed in Tomb of the Giants or Demon Ruins would be.

Do you get an eye of death if an infected player dies without invading you? Or is it only if you kill an invading player in PvP?
The times I've successfully used the eye of death the dudes who appeared did so on the spot that I activated it, not where I was waiting. Maybe they're just waiting at the sign and hoping to backstab you as you spawn.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there an actual possible way of getting dragon scales? There aren't 30 in the game and the only people who bother touching my dragon stone mark are crazy max level japanese pvp people.

Buy Egg Vermifuge and trade glitch with Snuggly?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Macksy posted:

The times I've successfully used the eye of death the dudes who appeared did so on the spot that I activated it, not where I was waiting. Maybe they're just waiting at the sign and hoping to backstab you as you spawn.

People who invade the gravelord don't pop up where the sign was, they pop up at invader spawn points. Typically this is the fog door, but I've noticed that black phantoms tend to show up outside the bonfire in UD burg.

EDIT: I was trying to summon a particular person into my game via chat. We both quit to the main menu and loaded our characters at the same time, and then his summon signed showed up after a little waiting, so that method might be worth a shot if you're trying to play with a friend.

A guy invaded my newbie character while we were trying to coordinate. He was heavily geared, using the fog ring, and refused to fight me unless I was busy engaging the enemies that were left, where he then hit me with a toxic cloud.

So I quit to the dashboard. :smug: If you're gonna' be a dick about invading someone, I don't see why I shouldn't.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 31, 2011

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Zain posted:

So I can attest to the Great fireball to the tail will drop it in one go. I still hate killing the crossbread :(
Where did you have to aim it? Did you just huck it at her rear end or what? I couldn't get a drat thing to happen with Great Combustion, other than pissing her off.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Vanguard Warden posted:

A guy invaded my newbie character while we were trying to coordinate. He was heavily geared, using the fog ring, and refused to fight me unless I was busy engaging the enemies that were left, where he then hit me with a toxic cloud.

So I quit to the dashboard. :smug: If you're gonna' be a dick about invading someone, I don't see why I shouldn't.

Congratulations on being a giant baby I guess!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

No one gives a gently caress about "honor." This should really be in the OP.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Finally got to Tomb of the Giants... Wow that's awesome that I can't see anything for my footing and the skeleton giants keep kicking me off because of that. This is probably the worst area.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Tomb of Giants is total poo poo, but next time I'll be getting the Sunlight Maggot first. Hopefully that will make it less awful. I actually liked the lantern mechanic a lot, but combining lack of sight with tough, kicking enemies and instantly fatal drops is what put it over the edge. If the entire place wasn't a mess of pitfalls, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad.

Vanguard Warden posted:

EDIT: I was trying to summon a particular person into my game via chat. We both quit to the main menu and loaded our characters at the same time, and then his summon signed showed up after a little waiting, so that method might be worth a shot if you're trying to play with a friend.

Any sort of skill that produces a cloud is completely terrible, so they obviously weren't trying that hard. They could have a Quelaag's Furysword +5 with 10 humanity at level 4, with a Ring of Fog and Hornet Ring and beyond destroy you every time. I know that I've used a Ring of Fog when I try to use terrible skills or weapons, so it sounds like you were just being a huge wuss about it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Zain posted:

Finally got to Tomb of the Giants... Wow that's awesome that I can't see anything for my footing and the skeleton giants keep kicking me off because of that. This is probably the worst area.
Honestly it's fine with light. The aggro range on the enemies is remarkably short, probably as a gimme for the short visibility. If you have the Sunlight Maggot or light spell, you're able to creep along and spot enemies well before they even react to your presence. And if you don't have one of those... well maybe you should go get one.

It's like not bringing moss to cure poisons into a place called Blighttown. You can beat it, but it's not going to be pleasant.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Emron posted:

No one gives a gently caress about "honor." This should really be in the OP.

Yeah, the entire point of being in the evil PvP covenants is that you're literally playing a character that is a murdering, opportunistic rear end in a top hat. If you're invaded by another player, expect them to be similarly sneaky and murderous.

The game even drives home the idea that bad-guys don't play fair with the whole Firelink Shrine keeper quest arc. You finally confront the bastard for a dramatic duel, and he's gone and brought a whole bunch of friends.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 31, 2011

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Where do I find the Sunlight maggot?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: The next best place: Lost Izalith! :allears: (in the shortcut, I think)
edit: In a wonderful kick in the nuts, the best place to farm humanity in the entire game is at the end of the Tomb of the Giants. :haw:

The Fog Ring is actually good to have down there too. It meant that I could one-shot the dogs with a jump attack (lightning zweihander +4, this may not apply to your weapon) or a great fireball (pyromancy hand +15).

I actually should go grab the Maggot; I need to slaughter some babies. Nothing like killing an endless stream of babies after a long day of work.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Cinroth posted:

Congratulations on being a giant baby I guess!

Dunno man, Fog Rings should be patched to force an auto-disconnect in PvP.

• Locked thread