Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Kekekela posted:

Right because remembering two central characters from the previous book is the same as remembering one line of minutia from something released 12 years ago.

Well, then let's use an example: the Rat Cook. I remembered him because the story behind him was pretty creepy in ASOS, when Bran was at the Nightfort. I more or less didn't expect to see any mention of him again, and I was pleasantly surprised in ADWD to see another reference.

Oh, yes, expecting you to remember characters is bad writing. Of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know what everyone's all worked up about, it wasn't that hard to figure out the Frey Pies even if you, like me, didn't remember the story of the Rat Cook.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jon Connington jerking off to the thought of doing Aegon in the butt is totally not a GRRM thing to write. It's about a man wanting to gently caress another man, after all, so best to just allude to that in a way which leaves some readers totally oblivious to it and have somewhat gross descriptions of hetero and lesbian action because that's the intercourse GRRM likes to pull his pud over. Myrish swamps and sticky princes ahoy!

vvv I kind of miss MaidSpock. Spock and the Dalek doesn't have quite the same :wtf: charm.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 31, 2011

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I miss The Bad Thread so much. This new wave of people actually sticking up for GRRM saddens me. Where is my echo chamber of hate?

edit:

hailthefish posted:

I don't know what everyone's all worked up about, it wasn't that hard to figure out the Frey Pies even if you, like me, didn't remember the story of the Rat Cook.

Nah, I basically got the gist too. It was just an example of needlessly obscure references.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Do you not understand sarcasm or is this some kind of doublesnark technique I am unfamiliar with?

Remember in ADWDwhen GRRM called back to GoT with Tyrion doing somersaults and other acrobatics!? Good to know he didn't just completely forget such a character detail over the last 12 years until Elio Superfan reminded him of it and instead showed that sly genius we all know and love!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

Do you not understand sarcasm or is this some kind of doublesnark technique I am unfamiliar with?

Remember in ADWDwhen GRRM called back to GoT with Tyrion doing somersaults and other acrobatics!? Good to know he didn't just completely forget such a character detail over the last 12 years until Elio Superfan reminded him of it and instead showed that sly genius we all know and love!

It is indeed a doublesnark technique. Handed down to generations of Azure_Horizons.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Made of Hilaryian Steel

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse or just honestly can't understand simple words.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 1, 2011

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Kekekela posted:

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse or just honestly can't understand simple words.

:rolleyes: Pay attention, it's a ancient doublesnark technique, passed down from generation to generation like blue mustachios and purple contacts. The seed is strong.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

:rolleyes: Pay attention, it's a ancient doublesnark technique, passed down from generation to generation like blue mustachios and purple contacts. The seed is strong.

You're cute.

Re: Rat Cook, of course it isn't, because EVERYONE seemingly cottoned on to it after reading ADWD. It is perfectly in line with a discussion on remembering "throwaway characters".

Maybe I should spice up my posts with more vicious slander against ASOIAF and GRRM. I'd fit right in!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

You're cute.

Re: Rat Cook, of course it isn't, because EVERYONE seemingly cottoned on to it after reading ADWD. It is perfectly in line with a discussion on remembering "throwaway characters".

Maybe I should spice up my posts with more vicious slander against ASOIAF and GRRM. I'd fit right in!

Slander implies falsehood.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

Indeed it does.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Look at that thin writing machine! How the gently caress does he stay so thin without an interest in any sports?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Just a reminder - this is who we're talking to:

Azure_Horizon posted:

ADWD may be close to the best ASOIAF book yet.

This is who we're talking to.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

vvv I kind of miss MaidSpock. Spock and the Dalek doesn't have quite the same :wtf: charm.

I agree but the time of ironic anime avatars is behind us. The new poo poo is Etsy oil-on-canvas cross-over fanart paintings.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Did you buy it? I could paint that if there's a market. Seriously, Etsy amazes me.

Let's see what searching "game of thrones" get us!

How the Starks keep their ale warm during the long winter.

Dragons are made of fire and iron and yarn.

At last his eyes are as dead as his zombie soul? Quite a jaunty little smirk he's got, though.

This Etsy artist knows what really makes this series special: FOOD!

:downs:

I'd buy this and hang it on my wall then invite Azure_Horizon over so he can :spergin: about the inaccuracies.

Hahahahahah.

Okay! What gems can YOU find?

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 1, 2011

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The parody of GRRM in REAMDE was hilarious

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

my cat is norris posted:

http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=269264.html
:ughh:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ahahaha oh god someone quick find the Ned Stark pony.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Now when we say it's close to the best book, we mean on the shelf, right? Because I could agree that, anything measured in inches rather than feet is close.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

You're cute.

:wink:

Dany is basically a throwaway character at this point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

my cat is norris posted:

Hahahahahah.

I laughed so hard at this thinking it was a cookie jar. Then I realized it was not a cookie jar and wished I was good enough with a kiln and pottery to make Ned cookie jars.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

:wink:

Dany is basically a throwaway character at this point.

I agree. The only Dany chapter I liked in ADWD was when she flew off on Drogon and left the Meereen cesspool long behind.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

I agree. The only Dany chapter I liked in ADWD was when she flew off on Drogon and left the Meereen cesspool long behind.

And its that kind of careful craftsmanship and plotting that makes it worth waiting 10 years for closure.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Solice Kirsk posted:

And its that kind of careful craftsmanship and plotting that makes it worth waiting 10 years for closure.

It really is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

IRQ posted:

Slander?! I would never stoop so low!

Slander is spoken; when it's written, it's libel.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Slander?! I would never stoop so low!

Slander is spoken; when it's written, it's libel.

What would it be in sign language?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

my cat is norris posted:

I'd buy this and hang it on my wall then invite Azure_Horizon over so he can :spergin: about the inaccuracies.

A)Holy gently caress that is some url.

B)...Cate Blanchett?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

Is the Meereen cesspool another name for her courtesan's vagina I need to add to GRRM-imagery.txt?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

You're cute.

Re: Rat Cook, of course it isn't, because EVERYONE seemingly cottoned on to it after reading ADWD.

No, 'EVERYONE' didn't cotton on. Everyone who reads a nerdy message board for fans of ASOIAF who re-read it regularly. cottoned on. I doubt Average Joe cottoned on.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
So I just finished this a few days ago, and I'm confused: Are people actually complaining that nothing happened?

Because it seems to me that a grip of stuff went down in this book. Some of the chapters sort of dragged (but even the characters in them kind of pointed out that what they were doing was pointless), but by the end the setting has definitely moved forward.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I completely missed the Frey Pie, but that might be because my mind now automatically replaces passages about food with 'blah blah blah blah.....' *skip to the end*.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

I completely missed the Frey Pie, but that might be because my mind now automatically replaces passages about food with 'blah blah blah blah.....' *skip to the end*.

Learn to read better, pleb. Every word is sacred in this rich, well-crafted tapestry George R. R. Martin, the American Tolkien, has brought to life.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Azure_Horizon posted:

Next book will feature Jon Connington masturbating to the idea of loving Aegon in the rear end in a top hat, just so people can actually know he's gay because it's so hard to figure this poo poo out.

I'm pretty sure Jon's pretty strictly a bottom. He'll be masturbating to the idea of Rhaegar Aegon invading his Lysan Bog.

my cat is norris posted:

Ahahaha oh god someone quick find the Ned Stark pony.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gr3y posted:

So I just finished this a few days ago, and I'm confused: Are people actually complaining that nothing happened?

Because it seems to me that a grip of stuff went down in this book. Some of the chapters sort of dragged (but even the characters in them kind of pointed out that what they were doing was pointless), but by the end the setting has definitely moved forward.

How?

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

IRQ posted:

How?

Seriously?

*The forts of the Night's watch are manned for the first time in centuries.

*Stannis has moved off the wall and is unlikely to return any time soon, if he's still alive.

* Wildlings south of the Wall, lots of them.

* Cersei broken, Kevan dead, Tyrells have all but taken over the throne

* Aegon has landed and taken several minor forts and will attack Storm's End.

* Bran meets the goddamn Children of the Forest (how come nobody talks about this?) and a greenseer.

There is a notable lack of Dany stuff in there. I get that this is gradually returning to Bad Threadhood, but come on. "Nothing happened" is just horseshit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And all of that (if you count them all as events) was about 100 pages worth of development out of like 1000?

Nothing happened. And you're not even counting AFFC, which is a further 1000 pages of nothing happening.

Gurm just let loose the danys on all our all heads and you're sticking up for him.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

IRQ posted:

And all of that (if you count them all as events) was about 100 pages worth of development out of like 1000?

Nothing happened. And you're not even counting AFFC, which is a further 1000 pages of nothing happening.

Gurm just let loose the danys on all our all heads and you're sticking up for him.

You asked how the setting moved forward. I answered. I was also disappointed in the book, so I dunno what you're on about.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I fully recognize that a number of things technically happened but the book still felt very slow and just wasn't as much of a page-turner as the first 3 books. Those books took me maybe 5 days tops to get through, while AFFC took me 4 WEEKS and ADWD took me 3 weeks.

And it's not like I just suddenly became a slow reader.

Regardless of how much actually did or didn't happen, most of us just didn't find the book all that compelling. I don't know what to tell you.

Edit: I was writing this as ecco replied. Didn't realize you were disappointed in it too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

You asked how the setting moved forward. I answered. I was also disappointed in the book, so I dunno what you're on about.

Ok, I think we've had a miscommunication here. The setting moved forward. But it's 2000 pages of boredom and 10 years of blog posts about football and pizza worth of moving a few pawns around the board and no actual plot events happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
I've re-read the first three books multiple times since they were good books. I've never reread AFFC and I doubt I will ever want to reread ADWD.