Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I wish I was gifted enough to hack the game into giving my character the moveset from Bayonetta. I'd love to see the look on people's faces when my knight spins on his back shooting repeating crossbows from his feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Fonzarelli posted:

There's a lever near a brown thing on the floor near the mimic and the chests that makes stairs that go down.

In other news, I think the greatsword is way cooler looking than the zweihander, and the stab is awesome. Nobody ever talks about the greatsword.

Oh drat, thanks. Lots of objects in the library areas, hard to spot things. thanks!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

I wish I was gifted enough to hack the game into giving my character the moveset from Bayonetta. I'd love to see the look on people's faces when my knight spins on his back shooting repeating crossbows from his feet.

Well you could dragon head glitch a bunch of throwing knives and it'd almost look the same :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Cbouncerrun posted:

Hey Wasp, for your next playthrough think about an Axel/Bone Wheel Shield run. Actually does some pretty good damage.

This is the best thing.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Quick question, if I haven't gotten rang either of the two bells but I killed Capra and debating if I should go to the depths or not because of the golden knight bastard.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Zain posted:

Quick question, if I haven't gotten rang either of the two bells but I killed Capra and debating if I should go to the depths or not because of the golden knight bastard.

Uh, if you don't want him to do anything just kick him off the ledge and take his poo poo.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

sentrygun posted:

Uh, if you don't want him to do anything just kick him off the ledge and take his poo poo.

Well I haven't opened his cage or anything. Just wondering if he'll be there or not really.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Zain posted:

If you want his armor then let him live until later. If not then you can kill him now and get some humanity and a very nice ring.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
What's behind the golden door in Anor Lando, and should I kill it? As a side note, why didn't Pricilla drop her tail after I hit her in the butt a million times?

Dark Souls: Hit everyone in the butt.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

!amicable posted:

This really does sum up the ideal strategy for almost all encounters in the game. Circlestrafe those motherfuckers like you're playing Serious Sam.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

!amicable posted:

What's behind the golden door in Anor Lando, and should I kill it? As a side note, why didn't Pricilla drop her tail after I hit her in the butt a million times?

Her tail has the smallest hitbox. What you should do is if you have pyromancy flame 15 and a great fireball throw it at her tail and it'll fall off in one shot.

Also you need to unlock the golden doors.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Zain posted:

Her tail has the smallest hitbox. What you should do is if you have pyromancy flame 15 and a great fireball throw it at her tail and it'll fall off in one shot.

Also you need to unlock the golden doors.

Ah, bummer. I killed her already, so it'll need to wait for ng+

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Zain posted:

Well I haven't opened his cage or anything. Just wondering if he'll be there or not really.

Well yeah, it's impossible to progress the story without him getting out. I guess if you do Blighttown first then you'll only have a chance to kill him in his cell before fighting the Gargoyles, since if you ring the bells in the opposite order he'll immediately kill Anastacia and run off the second you ring the Parish bell.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

!amicable posted:

Ah, bummer. I killed her already, so it'll need to wait for ng+

Priscilla is surprisingly not a pushover in NG+ because of the incredible amount of bleed that her scythe does. It was a rude shock after I steamrolled through five or six bosses ahead of her without slowing down.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Hey is there an event that has to happen before the shortcut opens for Chaos Servant? I gave my 30 humanity but the wall is still there...

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zero Karizma posted:

Hey is there an event that has to happen before the shortcut opens for Chaos Servant? I gave my 30 humanity but the wall is still there...

The gold wall is removed by continuing the story, the other wall (actually a very, very large door) you should be able to just walk up to and hit X and it will open.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Sputnik posted:

Priscilla is surprisingly not a pushover in NG+ because of the incredible amount of bleed that her scythe does. It was a rude shock after I steamrolled through five or six bosses ahead of her without slowing down.

She'll probably one-shot most people if she procs her bleed even in NG. It's just really powerful.

KingOHearts
Jan 19, 2009

Zero Karizma posted:

you need to have the lord vessel

rockem
Aug 4, 2010

:krad:
I think it would be pretty cool if you could use the extra gear in your inventory for something. Using it for repairs. Breaking stuff down into various mats. Combining things to add different properties and animations, or make original, different weapons and armor. Hell, make it so you can just chuck it at someone for some damage.

So many shields, stupid monsters, stop dropping shields. :smithicide:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

rockem posted:

I think it would be pretty cool if you could use the extra gear in your inventory for something. Using it for repairs. Breaking stuff down into various mats. Combining things to add different properties and animations, or make original, different weapons and armor. Hell, make it so you can just chuck it at someone for some damage.

So many shields, stupid monsters, stop dropping shields. :smithicide:

You can just drop them and make then vagrants to help other people.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh snaps the mimic head just dropped.

Gonna use this thing whenever I invade.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alteisen posted:

Does the item find bonus stack with the ring?

rockem
Aug 4, 2010

:krad:

SgtSteel91 posted:

You can just drop them and make then vagrants to help other people.

Yeah, I've been dropping most stuff to help people. But it'd also be nice to have something to do with some of the boss/ mini-boss drops.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volitaire posted:

Nope, and it poisons you as long as you wear it. Basically a look cool only item.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Volitaire posted:

No, but the +20% souls bonus does stack with the Silver Serpent Ring. It's also useful if you're in an area where you want to wear something other than the item drop ring, but you have Favor and Protection on.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sentrygun posted:

Well yeah, it's impossible to progress the story without him getting out. I guess if you do Blighttown first then you'll only have a chance to kill him in his cell before fighting the Gargoyles, since if you ring the bells in the opposite order he'll immediately kill Anastacia and run off the second you ring the Parish bell.

My Lautrec is missing in my NG+ and I rang blighttown first skipped minotaur and beat gargoyles and rang parish. I checked his cage and no one was there before attempting the gargoyles.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zero Karizma posted:

You sure that you're looking at the right wall? It isn't the one in the back of the Chaos Covenant area. Despite looking like it serves a purpose, that thing never opens. The shortcut is in the area right before the Demon Firesage.

Alteisen posted:

I thought I would do this too, until I noticed that it drains your health while equipped :(

God damnit From, first the Dark Hand and now this. Why is all of the awesome looking equipment complete and utter trash?

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I did not think the Paladin armour would be quite this good fully upgraded :stare:. I left the legs off for the Antiquated Skirt but every piece of it seems pretty bloody amazing. I think it's impossible to be cursed with all this.

I wish the LSoM was Faith based again. The lack of (potentially) decent unique Faith weapons is such a shame.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Vargs posted:

God damnit From, first the Dark Hand and now this. Why is all of the awesome looking equipment complete and utter trash?

The Xanthous Crown looks exactly the same, so you can use that instead to weird people out.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Jeez, Gwyndolin is cheap SOB finally got him by just getting down to <25% burden and zigzag sprinting.

PS if anyone wants to darken Anor Londo, you should kill the firekeeper because she vanishes if you attack Gywnevere. I missed out on it :<

Eddain
May 6, 2007

darkhand posted:

Jeez, Gwyndolin is cheap SOB finally got him by just getting down to <25% burden and zigzag sprinting.

PS if anyone wants to darken Anor Londo, you should kill the firekeeper because she vanishes if you attack Gywnevere. I missed out on it :<

Actually, she just moves to the area right outside the main hall. You can completely ignore her so that her bonfire stays lit, keeping it as a warp spot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dominic White posted:

The game even drives home the idea that bad-guys don't play fair with the whole Firelink Shrine keeper quest arc. You finally confront the bastard for a dramatic duel, and he's gone and brought a whole bunch of friends.
And then you smash him into the ground with your +4 Lightning Zweihander and kill him with the follow-up strike, preventing him from actually attacking you. :black101:

Is there a renewable source of Titanite Slabs, by the way? I don't even have one to make my Zweihander +5, and I'm worried I might want to max something else out later.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Against all good sense, I spent some time on the gamefaqs Dark Souls board earlier and found this. Might be old news, but I check this thread pretty regularly and haven't seen it posted. By doing this, you can guarantee yourself a mimic hat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYxAcJ4WWQw

Apparently what you need to do is punch a mimic, then throw a Lloyd's talisman at it, which for some reason puts it to sleep I guess? At this point you have a short time frame to walk up and see if it will let you loot the hat out of it. If not, punch, throw a talisman, check, repeat. A bunch of people were saying it was taking them several hundred talismans before it finally worked, but if you really want the thing, it's a better solution than doing New Game+ 7 times only for it to never drop anyways.

I don't know why the gently caress this works or how anybody figured it out.

Zereth posted:

Is there a renewable source of Titanite Slabs, by the way? I don't even have one to make my Zweihander +5, and I'm worried I might want to max something else out later.

Darkwraiths drop them extremely rarely. As in I've killed at least 500 of them, probably more, and have had a single slab drop. It isn't worth farming for.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

Vargs posted:

Against all good sense, I spent some time on the gamefaqs Dark Souls board earlier and found this. Might be old news, but I check this thread pretty regularly and haven't seen it posted. By doing this, you can guarantee yourself a mimic hat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYxAcJ4WWQw

Apparently what you need to do is punch a mimic, then throw a Lloyd's talisman at it, which for some reason puts it to sleep I guess? At this point you have a short time frame to walk up and see if it will let you loot the hat out of it. If not, punch, throw a talisman, check, repeat. A bunch of people were saying it was taking them several hundred talismans before it finally worked, but if you really want the thing, it's a better solution than doing New Game+ 7 times only for it to never drop anyways.

I don't know why the gently caress this works or how anybody figured it out.

Darkwraiths drop them extremely rarely. As in I've killed at least 500 of them, probably more, and have had a single slab drop. It isn't worth farming for.

Punching is probably to do the least amount of damage so that you can repeat this as long as possible. The Lloyd's talisman being used to make the Mimic fall asleep... I can't imagine that's some kind of bug. Weird.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Come watch me get the mimic helm and bone shields for lvl 1 pvp trolling action!

https://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

adj
Oct 31, 2007
The Claymore is a terrible weapon for PvP. As much as I love it in Demon's Souls it sucks in Dark Souls. I Think I've died liked 80 times now in PvP using it. PvP really works better here with Daggers or something.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

adj posted:

The Claymore is a terrible weapon for PvP. As much as I love it in Demon's Souls it sucks in Dark Souls. I Think I've died liked 80 times now in PvP using it. PvP really works better here with Daggers or something.

It has 180 degree arc sweeps, a powerful long range stab, and a hefty amount of damage. Most importantly, it is fast enough to stunlock quite easily.

The issue is you. Using a greatsword in pvp requires forethought and prediction to land hits; swing where they will be, not where they are. You should only need 1 combo, maybe two to finish others off.

adj
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah but it's slow. I love(d) using the Claymore in Demon's Souls but it just seems slow(er) in Dark Souls.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

adj posted:

Yeah but it's slow. I love(d) using the Claymore in Demon's Souls but it just seems slow(er) in Dark Souls.

Speaking as a fellow claymore enthousiast, I agree. In DeS, the claymore was by far my favourite weapon. In DaS, it's underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I've used a Gravelord sword +5 for most of the PvE I'm currently doing, and a fair bit of PvP (and I'm one of those douche supremes that use a ring of fog when I invade/get invaded). It's done me fairly well, especially since it gives the toxic effect after a few swings. More than once I've seen a little panic set in when I get a small chain of hits connected.

• Locked thread