Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Robert Denby posted:

File name is wacky_skinnycows.jpg. No idea.

Finally, the "Where's the beef?" commercial gets the full treatment it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Usually someone at cf.org figures these out, but so far they haven't come up with anything convincing. A lot of people are saying Satantango but that just seems like wishful thinking. I'd love it if that were the answer, though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Usually someone at cf.org figures these out, but so far they haven't come up with anything convincing. A lot of people are saying Satantango but that just seems like wishful thinking. I'd love it if that were the answer, though.

Yeah, I had the same train of thought. Particularly since I don't otherwise expect to ever see Satantango on blu-ray.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

codyclarke posted:

Obviously Kung Pow: Enter The Fist.

Or maybe Rat Race (2001). I for one simply must experience Smashmouth's indelible performance of "All Star" in HD.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

Usually someone at cf.org figures these out, but so far they haven't come up with anything convincing.

The "drunk dog" clue never got adequately solved either.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Robert Denby posted:

File name is wacky_skinnycows.jpg. No idea.

Top Secret! (1984), obviously. Finally some Val Kilmer in the Criterion Collection.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's clearly a reference to the legendary cow scene in Battlefield Earth

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

The "drunk dog" clue never got adequately solved either.

I was satified with the Drunken Angel/Stray Dog solution. Especially with the double K in the filename.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I hope it's not Tommy Boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt6xsXKVdWI

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I would unironically love for it to be Tommy Boy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I guess nobody remembers King Vidor's 1938 classic Wacky Skinnycows.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
When does the Barnes and Noble sale start for November? Is it the whole month or between some specific dates?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

William Pahllace posted:

When does the Barnes and Noble sale start for November? Is it the whole month or between some specific dates?

November 1-21.

Regarding the clue, someone came up with a Lean/Coward (lean cow herd) set which is the most plausible suggestion I've seen so far.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

November 1-21.

Regarding the clue, someone came up with a Lean/Coward (lean cow herd) set which is the most plausible suggestion I've seen so far.

Probably. Lean directed four films either written or produced by Coward. Maybe the black cow is Coward's solo film The Astonished Heart, which stars Celia Johnson (of Brief Encounter) and is owned by iTV along with Brief Encounter, Blithe Spirit, In Which We Serve, and This Happy Breed. That would make for a good bonus to the inevitable Brief Encounter Blu reissue.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

kaujot posted:

I absolutely hate the way Criterion has handled subtitles on bluray. I can't read them at all in many scenes because of the white text on a white image. I've increased contrast, etc., but nothing really helps all that much, and they seem to be oblivious about the issue.

Ah ok, so I'm not the only one. I sent them an e-mail about it and I recommend anyone who has had problems with the subtitles do the same. It might not do any good, but it's better to let them know than to let them think that they have subtitles that don't suck dick.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The more pressing issue is that the subtitles still fail the deaf and hard-of-hearing.

Yeah, this is kind of baffling to me too. For as much as some of them cost, you think they'd have something so basic that even older, shittier dvd editions of the same films had.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
For anyone that has The Human Condition, what is on disc 4, and is it worth a spot on a DVD queue? Criterion website/Amazon doesn't really make it clear.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Arkane posted:

For anyone that has The Human Condition, what is on disc 4, and is it worth a spot on a DVD queue? Criterion website/Amazon doesn't really make it clear.

DVD 4 has all the bonus features:

Excerpt from a rare Directors Guild of Japan video interview with director Masaki Kobayashi, conducted by filmmaker Masahiro Shinoda (Double Suicide)
New video interview with actor Tatsuya Nakadai
Video appreciation of Kobayashi and The Human Condition featuring Shinoda
Japanese theatrical trailers

I haven't watched any of them so can't speak say if they are worth checking out or not.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thanks man, appreciate it.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Arkane posted:

That really is one of the greatest film series I've ever watched. It's surprising how obscure it is, at least until Criterion released it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Pfirti86 posted:

That really is one of the greatest film series I've ever watched. It's surprising how obscure it is, at least until Criterion released it.

I saw it 4 years before Criterion released it :smug: :smug: :smug:

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
Criterion's having a "Scary Frames Photo Contest" on their Facebook page - post a screenshot from one of the movies in the collection and they'll select a winner. It was fun picking an image to enter and it's also cool to look at what everyone else is submitting as well. :spooky:

Here's a link to the info: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150348443268562

Here's the top prize:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Space Cooter posted:

Criterion's having a "Scary Frames Photo Contest" on their Facebook page - post a screenshot from one of the movies in the collection and they'll select a winner. It was fun picking an image to enter and it's also cool to look at what everyone else is submitting as well. :spooky:

Here's a link to the info: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150348443268562

Here's the top prize:

Shame just how many people can't read rules and post screencaps from movies that aren't Criterion, and how many exact repeats there are. There's also lots of nudity!

Cacator fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 29, 2011

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Space Cooter posted:

Here's the top prize:

Is the candy corn included? :psyduck:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rivette Blu-Ray, but not from Criterion.

I liked C&JGB but not enough to buy it. Still, some folks are bound to thrilled about this. If New Yorker doesn't gently caress it up.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

With the B&N sale going until the 21st, this means that films released in this time period will be part of the sale as well? Or is it just movies released before November 1st? [I'm mainly referring to the Three Colours Trilogy on the 15th]

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

friendo55 posted:

With the B&N sale going until the 21st, this means that films released in this time period will be part of the sale as well? Or is it just movies released before November 1st? [I'm mainly referring to the Three Colours Trilogy on the 15th]

Past sales have allowed releases coming that month, like The Music Room or High and Low for the last sale.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Rivette Blu-Ray, but not from Criterion.

I liked C&JGB but not enough to buy it. Still, some folks are bound to thrilled about this. If New Yorker doesn't gently caress it up.

Have they released anything on BluRay? Also, I thought they went under a couple of years ago. I am cautiously hopeful, though.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Past sales have allowed releases coming that month, like The Music Room or High and Low for the last sale.

Also, I believe that the sale's been extended by a day or two before to make room if something's being released, like, the day after the sale's scheduled to end, so you might be able to sneak in the stuff that's coming out on the 22nd.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Fantastic news! Thank you.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
You guys reckon there's any chance Criterion will release some kind of Wes Anderson box set anytime soon? Because I want all that poo poo, all of it, enough to buy it piecemeal but I can just envisage the regret...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched Island of Lost Souls. One of the finest classic horror films I've seen. Intelligent, magnificently shot, and Charles Laughton's performance is perverse. Can't recommend the film enough. The restoration is great, too. Despite being grainy and full of light damage, it adds to the atmosphere.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
FYI: some of the back ordered replacement covers are back in stock on criterion.com if anyone needs.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Just placed my Barnes & Noble order, they have all of December and January's titles available at the discounted price!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Hello 50% sale, have you come for my money?

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
If I can make it out this time with just the Sam Fuller Eclipse set, I will be a happy, happy man.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

Safe Driver posted:

Just placed my Barnes & Noble order, they have all of December and January's titles available at the discounted price!

Whoa cool, thanks for the heads up, I don't think they've done that before?

It works out that school's closed for today so I'm gonna go over to B&N for the sale this morning... may god have mercy on my soul and my checking account.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Just a word of warning: Barnes and Noble has put pre-releases (that were not due to come out within the span of the sale) up before by mistake, and it can be a real hassle getting your money back when they either cancel your order outright or bump up the prices on you.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the warning kaujot, i'll keep that one in mind!

For anyone interested or curious, just dropped some cash on the following two orders online:
Classe Tous Risques
Pickpocket
Elevator to the Gallows
Yi Yi (blu)

Fanny and Alexander (blu)
Three Colours Trilogy (blu)
The Rules of the Game (blu)

I also plan on crossing the border to a B&N to check out what they've got in-store. Combine this with Uncharted 3's release - well, today is a good day.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can someone sell me on Fanny and Alexander? I heard a lot of praise for it back when it was announced, but nobody ever explained why exactly.

Also, are there any other codes that we can use to save a scratch more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

GrandpaPants posted:

Can someone sell me on Fanny and Alexander? I heard a lot of praise for it back when it was announced, but nobody ever explained why exactly.

It's Bergman's ultimate achievement, his most autobiographical film, and one that fuses all the major themes of his previous work together: family, religion, death, the supernatural, et. al. It's gorgeously photographed and perfectly acted and there are scenes and images that will take your breath away and stick with you long after you're done watching. Buy buy buy one of us one of us.