Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Laserface posted:

Subaru got jelly of Toyota hogging the limelight and dropped this. (FYI, both companies have agreed 'not to show anything until the Tokyo Motor Show' so the leaks are likely Toyota building hype)

Although this is a concept, it still beats the Toyotas rear end by a mile. I think its pretty solid that the two cars are identical except for the front however :(

I want this now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Quellar posted:

but I'm a big believer in making a 200bhp car into a 300bhp rather than buying a 300bhp.

That's gonna be tough, at least on a budget. It's cake on a turbo motor, but will take lots of hardware and tuning for a NA motor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But is there room for an LSx that's the question :v:

I wonder how long it will take once they're on the market.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

leica posted:

But is there room for an LSx that's the question :v:

I wonder how long it will take once they're on the market.

Depends on whether that company ultimateforce worked for can convince him to come back.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe they'd make a "sleeper" version with a huge blower sticking out of the hood and a giant vinyl sticker down the side that says SLEEPER

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

leica posted:

Maybe they'd make a "sleeper" version with a huge blower sticking out of the hood and a giant vinyl sticker down the side that says SLEEPER

The huge blower is only a fake stick on cover over a little blower that sticks out

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Laserface posted:

Subaru is building it in their Gunma( ? ) plant.

Which one, the subaru, the scion or the toyota, or all 3?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
All three.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Phone posted:

Subaru likes to hang their engines as far forward as possible.

The boxer and drivetrain packaging that Subaru uses is pretty entrenched, they didn't adopt a oilpan axle pass-through system like BMW or Nissan, so having a 2cylinder long engine was their solution. It'd be pretty hard anyway, given their crank throws would maybe interfere with the axle. Unforunately, the forward-mount boxer design's only benefit is a lower cG, polar moments go nuts, packaging gets complicated with modern VVT cylinder heads and maintenance, and you end up following a philosophy meant for a pushrod 4boxer and lever activated 4wd. You can solve the cG problem by raising the engine above the level of the monocoque's rails, but you lose the only benefit of the design.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Oh dear lord. Someone tint (or photoshop on) Subaru gold wheels for me please.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

kylej posted:

Oh dear lord. Someone tint (or photoshop on) Subaru gold wheels for me please.

Like'a Dis?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thebushcommander posted:

Like'a Dis?

Dear lord :awesome:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DJ Commie posted:

The boxer and drivetrain packaging that Subaru uses is pretty entrenched, they didn't adopt a oilpan axle pass-through system like BMW or Nissan, so having a 2cylinder long engine was their solution. It'd be pretty hard anyway, given their crank throws would maybe interfere with the axle. Unforunately, the forward-mount boxer design's only benefit is a lower cG, polar moments go nuts, packaging gets complicated with modern VVT cylinder heads and maintenance, and you end up following a philosophy meant for a pushrod 4boxer and lever activated 4wd. You can solve the cG problem by raising the engine above the level of the monocoque's rails, but you lose the only benefit of the design.

I just want to one day see a Lotus 7 or exo-type car that uses a Subaru boxer 4 in a front midships FR design that has the engine all the way behind the front axle line.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Like'a Dis?

holy poo poo

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Like'a Dis?

Get rid of that obnoxious wing and that is one fantastic looking car.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

thebushcommander posted:

Like'a Dis?

fuuuuck i take back everything i said.

Oh, also, here's an official rendering of the front end.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/finally-subaru-shows-brz-sti-concept-before-l-a-debut-84859.html

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 1, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Guinness posted:

Get rid of that obnoxious wing and that is one fantastic looking car.

I kinda like the wing :ohdear:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

Unforunately, the forward-mount boxer design's only benefit is a lower cG, polar moments go nuts
I wonder if that's part of the handling feel they're delivering -- 50/50 balance but the polar moment of a large car. Like the opposite of an MR car.

quote:

You can solve the cG problem by raising the engine above the level of the monocoque's rails, but you lose the only benefit of the design.
I don't quite get this. How is the cG a problem?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The wing looks good to me, one of the only acceptable wings I've seen in a long time, and is probably actually functional on top of that. But what's with the tiny mirrors? You can barely see them and it just looks kinda odd. Normal sized, body colored mirrors would look much better.

The Subie looks the best so far, love the Subie blue.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

leica posted:

But what's with the tiny mirrors? You can barely see them and it just looks kinda odd.

It's just a rallycar look. Or a racing car look in general, I suppose.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The tiny mirrors are simply because it's a concept.

The rear version will have normal sized mirrors and door handles i'm sure. Otherwise, there doesn't look like there's too much on that concept that they couldn't bring to market.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DJ Commie posted:

Not often I disagree but mate, no. The Subie egnine's mass is even more compacted than a rotary and the apparent overhang is nothing more than the ancillaries - the main mass is quite a way back and centrallised, which is even more pronounced in the BRZ.

Crank throws interfere with a RWD layout....?

cG issue?!?!?! Sorry but what???

Even in the AWD which is restricted to where the driveshafts have to go, you still are further back that what it appears and all main mass is compact, better than any other production AWD - which is the fair comparision. I'm tearing down my WRX's engine and really it's quite interesting just how small it really is - and more to the point it's all so drat light and easy to actually work on. The block being smaller than a normal I4 leads to the fact that it is one of the very few engines that is noticably lighter than a rotary and that really is saying something.

Where the whole polar movement thing came from was Subaru and WRC where you have two issues - one, Subaru persisted in a production block where the other teams did not and hence the other teams did a bunch of nutso modification to get an I4 as low and as far back as possible - which on a road car you can not do and b) Subaru were loving retards and designed the suspension completely wrong on the 04-05, mistakes that persisted to the 06 WRC and were not completely nutted out before they pulled out. But you might notice in the Group A days they were not complaining about that as then you needed a production block in it's production location. And when you do that - a road car - the Boxer gains some signifigant advantages over other AWD options.

In the BRZ, the motor is lighter than any other 2 litre I4 option, it's much lower, it's much more compact and much further back now it doesnt have to worry about driveshafts. Whta they do for the WRX I dont know but for the BRZ a boxer is a drat good choice.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I think the most amazing part of the whole thing is that the FRS looks pretty similar to the concept they put forward in 2007. I mean, I remember being excited about This article all those years ago and it's finally almost here. They didn't abandon their goal and make some bland car or go in a completely different direction. They wanted to make an interesting car, and thats what they did.

I guess the turnaround time from concept to production has been a bit longer than the article states...but "all good things come to those who wait".

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
I was always partial to this particular bit of speculation

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Billy Zane posted:

Ah yes, the IS-350Z Cosworth.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Billy Zane posted:

I am somewhat disappointed that the Toyota version isn't more hatchback looking.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm disappointed it's not a legit hatchback or liftback. Trunks are the worst.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

thebushcommander posted:

Like'a Dis?

That'll do it

:fork:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

69sofine posted:

I'm seeing Corvette in the front and Lamborghini in the back

A few pages back but yes, the Cien certainly does look like the mullet of vehicles. :911:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Billy Zane posted:

Haha, its exactly like when Ford brought back the Mustang. "lets make it fatter, rounder, and bigger!"

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kimbo305 posted:

definitely is:

e: Not really digging that start engine button placement.

I don't see why it needs the stupid lift up collar - reminds me too much of a 90s Vauxhall

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

I don't see why it needs the stupid lift up collar - reminds me too much of a 90s Vauxhall

It's just how Subaru does it these days.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

I don't quite get this. How is the cG a problem?

quote:

If you put the engine in between the front wheels the width of the engine interferes with either the axles (if the front wheels are driven) or the front suspension. you can put the front diff n the oil pan and raise the engine to solve the axle problem but then your engine now sits higher which negates the advantage of the flat layout. If the front wheels aren't driven as in this case you are still limited in clearance for the front suspension. Maybe this is not such a big problem if you design the suspension around the engine but this car notably uses Macpherson strut front suspension.

The ideal solution would have been to put the engine where the backseats are and make it a neu-MR2, but I suppose having back seats was important. I agree with Bob Lutz that mid-engined cars are fine from a technical standpoint but to have a really striking design and profile you need the phallic proportions of a front engined, RWD GT.

Also no one is going to buy this turkey. It will be a sales disaster. Wrap it up Suba-ilures.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

If you put the engine in between the front wheels the width of the engine interferes with either the axles (if the front wheels are driven) or the front suspension. you can put the front diff n the oil pan and raise the engine to solve the axle problem but then your engine now sits higher which negates the advantage of the flat layout. If the front wheels aren't driven as in this case you are still limited in clearance for the front suspension. Maybe this is not such a big problem if you design the suspension around the engine but this car notably uses Macpherson strut front suspension..

Ok. I thought when he said CoG, he meant only the vertical component, and that he would have said polar moment for the tucking in of the motor improvement.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe this is not such a big problem if you design the suspension around the engine but this car notably uses Macpherson strut front suspension.

Exactly what is wrong with MacPherson strut again.....? I keep forgetting because apparently I'm in an alternative world where it works more than "just fine", it in fact works extremely well. And it's quite clearly not going to be an issue here either given this body has been designed from the ground up to accept a boxer engine?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Also no one is going to buy this turkey. It will be a sales disaster. Wrap it up Suba-ilures.

Part of me thinks you're right. There are a ton of car people all over the internet that are complaining that this car just doesn't have the horsepower to compel them to buy it. But, then I look at the Miata, somehow it succeeded despite having such low horsepower numbers and a terrible reputation as a gay car. It even managed to outlive the technically superior S2000.

Maybe the fact that it doesn't appeal to car people will be what makes it succeed. There are a lot of people, especially in the 40-50 sports car buying age, that don't care about horsepower. They care about things like good looks, reliability and gas mileage. This thing will certainly have all of those qualities. This is certainly a car I could see my mom rolling around in.

I've always seen Subaru as a cheaper, more reliable competitor to Audi. They just don't market their cars the same way the other Asian manufactures do, they tend to emphasize pragmatism in their marketing. When you look at the BRZ against the Audi TT, everything makes more sense. The TT sells pretty well, but the BRZ has it beat in every category except for badge.

I can make a solid case for both predictions, honestly. So I think this will just have to be a wait-and-see thing. I do hope it succeeds, if it doesn't, then that is solid evidence that there just is not a market for a cheap pure sports car anymore.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

One thing that is good news coming out of all this hype is that Toyota and Subaru agreed to release the initial cars with the same body, engine and specs at the same time, but after that, they are each companys own hands and they can do whatever they want with them. Subaru has mentioned that the wheel base can be extended quite a bit, so it could see use for other platforms.

Heres hoping that after the first year STi release a turbo model.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Cat Terrist posted:

Not often I disagree but mate, no. The Subie egnine's mass is even more compacted than a rotary and the apparent overhang is nothing more than the ancillaries - the main mass is quite a way back and centrallised, which is even more pronounced in the BRZ.

cG issue?!?!?! Sorry but what???

The crank centerline of a normal transverse-mounted engine is not more than a few inches forward of the axle center-line (the ring gear diameter plus the drive gear off the output shaft plus the distance from the input shaft to output shaft), where in the Boxer the flywheel, clutch and entire crank length is forward of the axle, nearly a foot from the axles to the front of the heads, plus ancillaries. It somewhat related to why Subaru wasn't competitive in WRC. There were lot of reasons before their inability to meet the new requirements, but one was (I heard it from a prodrive article) that they were unable to move the engine backwards in any sort of reasonable regard, where Ford and Citroen WRC engines are canted back at like 50degrees to help the polar moment. The heads were basically over the axle centerlines.

I suppose you could install an integral driveshaft in the oilpan like BMW/Nissan did with their longitudinal AWD cars, but I think the Subaru engine is placed too far down in the bay to make it workable, I've never seen it tried with a boxer.

The boxer is a compromise of an old design decision (or legacy of design) to solve a problem that doesn't exist on this car, being the front axles. I haven't the slightest idea why Toyota went with such a silly design idea, though they don't have any current sporty engines at all and maybe the FB could tune up nicely, though Subaru isn't know for its N/A engines.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

Part of me thinks you're right. There are a ton of car people all over the internet that are complaining that this car just doesn't have the horsepower to compel them to buy it. But, then I look at the Miata, somehow it succeeded despite having such low horsepower numbers and a terrible reputation as a gay car. It even managed to outlive the technically superior S2000.

The MX-5 suceeded because it's a drat good thing to drive in every single way you can think of, which appeals to a lot more than just self proclaimed car people. As in it is still after 20 years an experience that basically nothing else replicates - and the people who are so hung up on power call themselves "car people" .... well they arent, they are bench racing wankers.

The BRZ has more hp than a MX5, it's also currently lighter. It's being made to blatantly replicate another fantastic drivers car, the Sprinter (which has much less power but there's a drat good reasons why it the tofu delivery machine of choice). If this thing handles as well as initial reports says it does then gently caress the hp wankers -I WANT THIS CAR because I love throwing small light cars into corners at ridiculous speeds!

If it doesnt handle then it can go to hell.

DJ - the BRZ is not a AWD. There is no driveshafts to gently caress with the layout, which is why the boxer is a godawful way back. I don't understand why you arent seeing this - the WRX will be a different kettle of fish and then you need to compare apples with apples, almost all AWD layouts likewise have their engines further forward (but they are also bigger engines as well), but the BRZ is not AWD and the engine is well back and behind the axle line - in a position and CoG than no I4 can match.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
aww man. I want to buy it already but shouldn't. I guess I don't go to the toyota dealership anymore for my free alignments