Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Argh why isn't 12 Angry Men discounted? It seems to be the only one that isn't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridley327
Feb 9, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Argh why isn't 12 Angry Men discounted? It seems to be the only one that isn't!

It comes out one day after the sale ends.

It's the BBS box set all over again!

Pretty big day for CC, as they're now selling films on iTunes.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

kaujot posted:

Just a word of warning: Barnes and Noble has put pre-releases (that were not due to come out within the span of the sale) up before by mistake, and it can be a real hassle getting your money back when they either cancel your order outright or bump up the prices on you.

Oh really? Thanks for the heads up. I just cancelled all of the pre-orders , I can wait till the next sale.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Too, they've already fixed the bug and you can no longer preorder the December/January titles at the sale price. I'm keeping my Gorin pre-order open JUST IN CASE because I'm going to buy it regardless so whatever.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The only one I'm thinking about right now is the Three Colors trilogy. I've only seen Red, but I really enjoyed it. Worth a $40 2/3rds blind buy?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

E7E4K8K at checkout will give you an additional 7% off the order total.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

The only one I'm thinking about right now is the Three Colors trilogy. I've only seen Red, but I really enjoyed it. Worth a $40 2/3rds blind buy?

yep

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
All Kieslowski is worth a blind buy. :colbert:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Safe Driver posted:

E7E4K8K at checkout will give you an additional 7% off the order total.

This doesn't work on pre-orders it seems, so if you're going to order things like Fanny and Alexander and Three Colors, you might want to hold off a bit to save some extra cash.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I have started to make a big thing out of Criterion purchases in terms of waiting until I can buy the Criterion release of a film I haven't seen so that I may see it.

I am very excited because I am going to finally see 3 Colors, Fanny and Alexander, and High and Low, all in Blu-Ray and for half price!

I think I am also going to get Close-Up and Repulsion, but should I swap either of those for Diaboliques or Army of Shadows? I love Repulsion but having seen it, it would be cool to get all films I have yet to see.

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
Any one up in Canada or anywhere getting this order status message?
Unable to process order. Please call 1-877-379-0036, or 212-414-6024, if outside U.S.

My order is:
Fanny & Alexander blu-ray
Three Colors blu-ray
Carlos blu-ray

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Thanks for reminding me about this. Ordered Rules of the Game for myself and Three Colors for my sister's Christmas gift. I might have to check that one out before she gets it, though.

flying afro
May 21, 2003

gently caress, I know I'm getting Fanny and Alexander, but now I'm seriously debating Three Colors or Double Life of Veronique (either of which would be a blind buy). I know if I'm doing a blind buy it'd be more sensible to pick Double Life, but it's hard for me to think straight right now.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I would recommend blind buying Three Colors over Veronique. You get a range of Kieslowski that way, as well as still getting your Irene Jacob fix.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Rick Deckard posted:

Unable to process order. Please call 1-877-379-0036, or 212-414-6024, if outside U.S.

My order is:
Three Colors blu-ray
Carlos blu-ray

I didn't get an error message at all, sorry I can't help.

I am, however, stoked about my order:

Island of Lost Souls, Phantom Carriage, Mystery Train, Revanche, Repulsion, Che, Kagemusha and 8 1/2.

Of those, I've only sen 8 1/2. I'm still very excited about this order, though I wanted to get Days of Heaven and Night of the Hunter as well but I decided this is enough...more than enough. It's never really enough, is it?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ratedargh posted:

I wanted to get Days of Heaven and Night of the Hunter as well but I decided this is enough...

If you want my opinion, you're far better off with either of those than Mystery Train.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

FitFortDanga posted:

If you want my opinion, you're far better off with either of those than Mystery Train.

:getout:

But seriously, just buy all the Criterion blurays. All of them.

(I should clarify that although I agree that Days of Heaven and The Night of the Hunter are better films than Mystery Train, it in no way is a bad thing to own and you shouldn't regret buying it over one of the two aforementioned)

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

FitFortDanga posted:

That's probably fair, but I am a big fan of Jarmusch. I even kind of, sort of, liked The Limits of Control...though I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Ratedargh posted:

That's probably fair, but I am a big fan of Jarmusch. I even kind of, sort of, liked The Limits of Control...though I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

I think everyone secretly liked Limits.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Super Mad that 12 Angry Men isn't eligible.

Went with The Rules of the Game (my favorite movie, the one that got me into movies as anything beyond disposable entertainment) and the Three Colors Trilogy.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 1, 2011

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Rick Deckard posted:

My order is:
Three Colors blu-ray
Carlos blu-ray

Just went and checked my order status' and they both are okay. No issues on my end. Not sure what happened with yours - hopefully it gets cleared up.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
This is Barnes and Noble we're talking about; it won't get cleared up.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

kaujot posted:

This is Barnes and Noble we're talking about; it won't get cleared up.

That is true, I've had an order or two in the past get randomly cancelled, but never 'Unable to Process' before. If you just cancel that, and then re-order the exact same movies again - it should work and have no issues. I know because it's worked for me.

Not to mention how B&N never ships a single order altogether in one piece. Very strange indeed.

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
Unable to cancel and placed a 2nd order with a different cc that ended up with the same status. I'll deal with them mano a mano.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ratedargh posted:

I liked it the first time and liked it more the second time I watched it :colbert:

I've been spending far too much money lately so I'll likely only pick up Carlos and The Killing on blu.

edit: Now why isn't The Limits of Control available in hi-def :cry:

Cacator fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 1, 2011

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
So what are all the good coupons for this sale? And isn't there a way to get an additional discount by ordering through some link on B&N's site?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jack Does Jihad posted:

So what are all the good coupons for this sale? And isn't there a way to get an additional discount by ordering through some link on B&N's site?

The only coupon I know of is E7E4K8K, which is good for 7% off the entire order, but only for things in stock. It's weird, but I guess I can wait until the 15th for things to get released.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrandpaPants posted:

Can someone sell me on Fanny and Alexander? I heard a lot of praise for it back when it was announced, but nobody ever explained why exactly.
Eh. I think it's one of the great films, but at the same time it isn't one that I feel like I have to keep going back to.

Different people have different ideas of what constitutes a purchase versus a rental, much less what constitutes a blind buy. I find myself more and more likely to buy something only if it's a film I keep going back to, or if it's a film that I don't expect to stay in print or available. I really couldn't justify Fanny and Alexander (1982) on either count, but your mileage &c.

I also think Fanny and Alexander is a bit of a odd film for Bergman. I think Bergman at his best is a very economical filmmaker. I want to say `concise', but that's not quite the correct word. He tends to be evocative rather than descriptive; a scene is more likely to be punctuated by a pause or image rather than an action or a line. But despite this, his films tend to be very dense, with a lot packed into ever one of those pauses or images. Fanny and Alexander really doesn't feel like that, it's a lot looser, more open, and as a result it doesn't really feel like most of his other films.

As I said, I think it's one of the great films. But I don't know that I'd generally try to sell Bergman as a blind buy, and even if I was I don't think Fanny and Alexander is one that I'd do it with.

kaujot posted:

I would recommend blind buying Three Colors over Veronique. You get a range of Kieslowski that way, as well as still getting your Irene Jacob fix.
What I said above is also how I feel about Kieslowski. I saw the Trois Couleurs films when they were released theatrically, but haven't really felt compelled to give them a re-watch since then. I wasn't even that taken with them at the time; I liked Blue, didn't think much of White, and thought Red was good. I don't think that I'd include any of them on a `best films of the '90s' list (if I was inclined to construct such things), for example.

I think the only Kieslowski that I've gone back to is Dekalog.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
B&N has Pierrot Le Fou on sale, even though it's out of print? I'm snagging it, and hoping it doesn't get canceled.

Also, this is the only time one of these sales happened when I wasn't broke, so yay.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I don't know what to get! Any suggestions on blu-rays? I wanna know everyone's favorites or must haves.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Raspberry Bang posted:

I don't know what to get! Any suggestions on blu-rays? I wanna know everyone's favorites or must haves.

I don't know what your tastes are, but Seven Samurai is probably my number one pick. I'd also consider M and Seventh Seal pretty essential. If you want flat out beautiful to look at, I'd say The Thin Red Line is simply the most beautiful Criterion blu I've seen.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The Night of the Hunter is essential.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Killing and Sweet Smell of Success are essential noiresque films, get those if you're into that sort of thing

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Hit up my local store tonight, they had a pretty good selection but I thought that Rules of the Game was already out on Blu and I was disappointed to find that I was wrong. Still, I picked up Island of Lost Souls and Repulsion. I came really close to also getting the Nikkatsu Noir set... I'm still thinking about it though so I probably should have just grabbed it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Daveski posted:

I came really close to also getting the Nikkatsu Noir set... I'm still thinking about it though so I probably should have just grabbed it.

I blind bought it with Oshima's Outlaw Sixties and Saura's Flamenco Trilogy and haven't regretted it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Seconding kaujot, Night of the Hunter is essential. The coupon code from GrandpaPants is solid.

As far as blu-rays go, I can definitely attest to the following:
Look into House if you want kooky Japanese horror.
Look into Army of Shadows if you want WW2-era French spy tension.
Look into Yojimbo/Sanjuro if you want one of the best samurai movies and its sequel (one of the best sequels).
Look into For All Mankind if you even like the moon/NASA.

All of the above have my seal of approval.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Also, buy copies of Fanny and Alexander to give away to other people. It's how I got my friend's girlfriend into foreign movies.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

kaujot posted:

Also, buy copies of Fanny and Alexander to give away to other people.

Like me! :)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Raspberry Bang posted:

I really like the Monterey Pop Festival blu-ray. If you like classic rock it's a must purchase to see seminole performances from Jimi Hendrix, The Mamas and the Papas, and more. My favorite is Ravi Shankar's awesome performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUJiNCO6Qr0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
I'm currently collating my order for my first ever legit Criterions (I have Cleo From 5 to 7, Pickup on South Street, Yi Yi and The Lady Vanishes thanks to a cheap DVD store in Beijing) - at the moment I've got Le Samourai, Secret Sunshine and The Human Condition for myself, The Spy That Came In From the Cold for my Dad's birthday present, and Paths of Glory and Paris Texas for a friend (he's paying me back for those).

It's getting expensive.