Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Forgot that I was going to say something about this:

Sir Bruce posted:

Well obviously they're rare, but for supposedly extinct/mythical creatures there sure are a lot who keep popping up from under rocks! Literally, at least twice!

They're not extinct, though, as you say - anyone who goes around saying they are has just never met one because the few that still exist keep to themselves. Going along with the 'power' theme is the idea of convergence, that power will draw out other power. Since this series has a lot of focus on the superpowerful beings of the Malazan world, it makes sense that would include the surviving Jaghut, even if the average Joe of the world isn't likely to ever encounter them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I always assumed that the continued presence of Jaghut was part of the Imass cultural narrative. The end of Memories of Ice emphasized the hopeless ennui that all of the Imass experience after destroying themselves as an evolving culture to fight a seemingly endless war for 300k years. If you find a Jaghut every time you turn over a stone in the story it just drives the point home that the Imass completely failed at the task they destroyed their whole race to accomplish. The fact that most Jaghut turn out to be pretty decent folks also demonstrates the scale of the Imass' overreaction (or the depths of the Tyrants' cruelty, I suppose).

That seems to be why the T'lan Imass we meet at the end of MOI effectively say something like, "We don't care if there are Jaghut left anymore; this whole thing was a big stupid mistake."

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Donkey posted:

That seems to be why the T'lan Imass we meet at the end of MOI effectively say something like, "We don't care if there are Jaghut left anymore; this whole thing was a big stupid mistake."

This makes me think of (book 9+10) what happens to Onos after Hetan is killed. He is entirely consumed by anger (justified considering what happened) and single-mindedly devotes himself to vengeance so intently he fails to notice that he has dragged entire other clans into it. I think there's a clear reflection of the Imass as a whole sacrificing their race for a genocide of the Jaghut.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Goddamn, I missed some fun times in the Malazan thread over the last few days!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm currently reading Glenn Cook's first Dread Empire omnibus and there's a character in it named Mocker that has to be Erikson's main influence for Kruppe. It's also a really good book, if you're looking for some good fantasy to read you should check it out.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
There's this too:

quote:

“My friends,” says he, “what is this which we now behold as being spread before us? Refreshment. Do we need refreshment then, my friends? We do. And why do we need refreshment, my friends? Because we are but mortal, because we are but sinful, because we are but of the earth, because we are not of the air. Can we fly, my friends? We cannot. Why can we not fly, my friends?”

Mr. Snagsby, presuming on the success of his last point, ventures to observe in a cheerful and rather knowing tone, “No wings.” But is immediately frowned down by Mrs. Snagsby.

“I say, my friends,” pursues Mr. Chadband, utterly rejecting and obliterating Mr. Snagsby’s suggestion, “why can we not fly? Is it because we are calculated to walk? It is. Could we walk, my friends, without strength? We could not. What should we do without strength, my friends? Our legs would refuse to bear us, our knees would double up, our ankles would turn over, and we should come to the ground. Then from whence, my friends, in a human point of view, do we derive the strength that is necessary to our limbs? Is it,” says Chadband, glancing over the table, “from bread in various forms, from butter which is churned from the milk which is yielded unto us by the cow, from the eggs which are laid by the fowl, from ham, from tongue, from sausage, and from such like? It is. Then let us partake of the good things which are set before us!”

The persecutors denied that there was any particular gift in Mr. Chadband’s piling verbose flights of stairs, one upon another, after this fashion.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
I'm almost finished the first book, quick question regarding Oponn: I'm a bit puzzled at why they 'control' people and items. Like they have control or whatever over Parans sword - what's the big deal? What does it matter to Paran if they have his sword? I realise he was able to injure Gear with it because of Oponn pushing good luck or whatever, and the same with Crokus. I just don't get why they're doing it, and why everyone is so afraid of them. Have I missed something or will it be revealed later? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I think I'm just spoiled after coming from ASoIaF where I'm fed paragraphs of infodumps.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

dmccaff posted:

I'm almost finished the first book, quick question regarding Oponn: I'm a bit puzzled at why they 'control' people and items. Like they have control or whatever over Parans sword - what's the big deal? What does it matter to Paran if they have his sword? I realise he was able to injure Gear with it because of Oponn pushing good luck or whatever, and the same with Crokus. I just don't get why they're doing it, and why everyone is so afraid of them. Have I missed something or will it be revealed later? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I think I'm just spoiled after coming from ASoIaF where I'm fed paragraphs of infodumps.

They doing it because they are jerks. There's more to it, but that's the basic.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

dmccaff posted:

Different people care for different reasons. Paran cares because Oponn was using him, after he sees Rake confront Shadowthrone, Rake tells him 'You have been harshly used' and Paran realizes a lot of his decisions lately had been Oponn's and not his own and they had pretty bad outcomes so he is justifiably pissed. Rake cares because having gods mess with Darujistan makes it a lot less predictable and more dangerous for him. People in general care because the push or pull of luck can turn their lives inside out no matter how well they plan or how hard they try. Even getting good things from Oponn is dangerous because as the god(s) of chance they are fickle and will inevitably abandon people at the worst moment, not to mention the whole power drawing power thing when gods get involved.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010

LtSmash posted:

Different people care for different reasons. Paran cares because Oponn was using him, after he sees Rake confront Shadowthrone, Rake tells him 'You have been harshly used' and Paran realizes a lot of his decisions lately had been Oponn's and not his own and they had pretty bad outcomes so he is justifiably pissed. Rake cares because having gods mess with Darujistan makes it a lot less predictable and more dangerous for him. People in general care because the push or pull of luck can turn their lives inside out no matter how well they plan or how hard they try. Even getting good things from Oponn is dangerous because as the god(s) of chance they are fickle and will inevitably abandon people at the worst moment, not to mention the whole power drawing power thing when gods get involved.
Interesting, thanks.

I just finished GotM, the last few chapters were great. Not quite sure what was with the whole Azath business but I guess I'm not supposed to know fully yet. I was a little disappointed with how the Jaghut Tyrant was brought down, since everyone seemed to be talking about him as some unstoppable force, then he was sorta outsmarted by Kruppe pulling him into his dream and quickly disposed of after that.

Looking forward to starting book two!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

dmccaff posted:

Interesting, thanks.

I just finished GotM, the last few chapters were great. Not quite sure what was with the whole Azath business but I guess I'm not supposed to know fully yet. I was a little disappointed with how the Jaghut Tyrant was brought down, since everyone seemed to be talking about him as some unstoppable force, then he was sorta outsmarted by Kruppe pulling him into his dream and quickly disposed of after that.

Yeah, Azath's get expounded on quite a bit as the series goes on.

Kruppe's quite the badass, don't let the love of pastries fool you.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

dmccaff posted:

Well consider what it actually took to take him down and its a pretty good bit of punishment. Also remember in Kruppe's dream Reast says Kruppe can't hope to hurt him as Kruppe is only a mortal and K'rul responds with something like 'The world has changed, mortals are your greatest threat.' That's an idea that reoccurs through the series.

AvidAvatar
Jul 13, 2003

Dimethyl Mercury – Good tasting and good for you!
I am interested in the writing quality of the first book as compared to the other books. I tried these books a few years ago and I could not understand his writing at all in the first book so I gave up. Maybe I'll just start reading book two and see how it goes. Thanks for the idea, OP!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
The quality picks up considerably in the second book, but you should at the very least read a summary of the major events of GotM if you plan on skipping it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm always surprised at how poorly received GoTM is, I really liked the whole Siege of Pale etc.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

About a third of the way through House of Chains now. Memories of Ice was a wild ride with tons of awesome moments, but I'm not sure any of them can top even the brief exploits of Karsa so far. I loved finding out that I'd already met Karsa before in Deadhouse Gates and I can't wait to see where this one goes.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

AvidAvatar posted:

I am interested in the writing quality of the first book as compared to the other books. I tried these books a few years ago and I could not understand his writing at all in the first book so I gave up. Maybe I'll just start reading book two and see how it goes. Thanks for the idea, OP!

I'd suggest finding a copy of "This Rivers Awakens", either used or new when it comes out again in January.

It precedes GotM by one year but it shows what kind of writing talent Erikson is even before stepping in the fantasy genre. It clears the field of all the typical criticism against him, lack of characterization, "not caring" and so on, without offering the typical excuses due to the setting like Dragonball power levels and so on.

As with Scott Bakker, these non-fantasy books are much shorter and more incisive. And I'm quite sure that one would be better prepared to read Erikson after clearing away all prejudices. That book would do just that and show more clearly the writer's style and intent.

Really an amazing book.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm sure its been mentioned already somewhere in here, but what is Erickson's aversion to my new found addiction, audio books?

Scorvi
Apr 4, 2009
Even HE doesn't know how to pronounce some of the names he's come up with.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Abalieno posted:

As with Scott Bakker, these non-fantasy books are much shorter and more incisive. And I'm quite sure that one would be better prepared to read Erikson after clearing away all prejudices. That book would do just that and show more clearly the writer's style and intent.

Really an amazing book.

I couldn't stand Bakker's non-fantasy book(s), to the point where if I'd read them first I would probably never have read any Bakker fantasy at all. Hope the same isn't true of Erikson!

(Steve Erikson also hated Neuropath)

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Haven't read Neuropath, so I can't say. It's "Disciple of the Dog" that I think is awesome.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Abalieno posted:

Haven't read Neuropath, so I can't say. It's "Disciple of the Dog" that I think is awesome.

I haven't read it, maybe I should try it. I am 100% on board with Bakker's arguments regarding human consciousness, I just really really hated Neuropath. Maybe Disciple will be a better read.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Kekekela posted:

I'm always surprised at how poorly received GoTM is, I really liked the whole Siege of Pale etc.

I'm rereading Gardens right now and think it's a great book. I don't understand why it's always being poo poo on.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Grammaton posted:

I'm rereading Gardens right now and think it's a great book. I don't understand why it's always being poo poo on.

Agreed. I finished it recently and thought it was fine. Some of the dialogue was a bit melodramatic (looking at you, Adjunct Lorn) but that hardly warrants the "Oh it totally sucks but you gotta slog through it" reputation.

Of course I like Esslemont's books, so what the hell do I know I guess

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Leospeare posted:

Agreed. I finished it recently and thought it was fine. Some of the dialogue was a bit melodramatic (looking at you, Adjunct Lorn) but that hardly warrants the "Oh it totally sucks but you gotta slog through it" reputation.

Of course I like Esslemont's books, so what the hell do I know I guess
Adjunct Lorn is a bit melodramatic. So's Tavore. It seems to be the most important trait in an adjunct.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm not sure any of them can top even the brief exploits of Karsa so far.

I wasn't super taken with Karsa at first. Certainly he was incredibly badass and exciting but I was expecting more Midnight Tides or Deadhouse Gates stuff. By the time he developed a bit I was all over that bandwagon. Fortunately for you there is lots of Karsa in the series.

quote:

I rather liked it the first and second time I read it. The writing isn't as good as the later books but its serviceable and compares favorably to tons of the fantasy trash published. The dialogue is rather rough at times and some of the foreshadowing sticks out like a sore thumb. Every time they mention mining the streets they mention the gas lamps and Whiskeyjack gets the feeling he overlooked something. Some parts of it are polished so hard they shine. Circle Breaker's little bit where he walks to the dock and thinks of his life gives a ton of characterization and depth to him and the city with hardly a word describing either.

I think a fair bit of the slog mentality is that the book doesn't lay much out for the reader so you are confused a lot of the time. And since the writing and dialogue can be rough a reader can't always get by on them. The plot is also rather confusing even if you know the world where DG you can follow the chain without getting lots of stuff and not feel lost.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

LtSmash posted:

I think a fair bit of the slog mentality is that the book doesn't lay much out for the reader so you are confused a lot of the time. And since the writing and dialogue can be rough a reader can't always get by on them. The plot is also rather confusing even if you know the world where DG you can follow the chain without getting lots of stuff and not feel lost.

I think that guy a few pages back was pretty spot on with his criticisms and I surprised to see people get so bent out of shape over them. A big one I've always had with the series is that he expects you to have read the books several times out of order to get the full context of situations. It makes for great re-readings but can also be lovely for first time readers. I've always thought of Erikson's writing as a guilty pleasure because it's the kind of thing I would never recommend to anyone but still love myself, warts and all. Gardens was extremely confusing at times (the whole section with Paran in Dragnipur stands out to me) and for everyone saying it wasn't I bet if we went back far enough we'd find a forum post asking what the hell was going on half the time :)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I thought the overall plot of Gardens was easy enough to follow in that I never had any confusion about what the characters' larger goals were, but from scene to scene I had trouble figuring out what was going on, and pretty much everything having to do with Paran was incomprehensible as he got pulled into warrens and alternate dimensions and talked t various ascendants too. Those parts were hard for me to picture what was going on, although I suspect they'd be a lot easier to follow now that I'm a few books in.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

The Ninth Layer posted:

I thought the overall plot of Gardens was easy enough to follow in that I never had any confusion about what the characters' larger goals were, but from scene to scene I had trouble figuring out what was going on, and pretty much everything having to do with Paran was incomprehensible as he got pulled into warrens and alternate dimensions and talked t various ascendants too. Those parts were hard for me to picture what was going on, although I suspect they'd be a lot easier to follow now that I'm a few books in.
You think you were confused, just imagine how incredibly hosed in the head he had to be by the end of that drat book. It's not like he really knew anything more about magic or warrens than the average person (i.e. he knew in theory that they existed, but had never really seen them used), and he winds up returning two dead hounds of shadow to the darkness thus unleashing two Deragoth, in the process becoming the first person to enter and leave the warren-within-the-sword in the hundreds of thousands of years it existed, to say nothing of physically taking down a possessed vulture barehanded by accidentally awakening the hound's blood within him. Dude had a rough time of it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

LtSmash posted:

I'm about three quarters of the way through right now (thanks to this forum!) and this is pretty much how I feel. I only vaguely understood what was going on, and there was just a ton of stuff that he mentions and implies is really important, but that you don't really know anything about. Although as the story continues and more context is given it's really satisfying to start seeing how things fit together, and stuff that popped up in previous chapters starts to make a little more sense. All in all I've really enjoyed how he wrote it, but I can definitely see why it's described as a slog.

The siege of Pale was especially good.

e: looking at the argument a couple pages back, the only part I agree with is the confusing geography. I have no idea what's where or why/whether their positioning matters.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 9, 2011

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
The rough geography of individual continents is pretty easy to grasp provided you pay attention to his descriptions and manage to keep it in your head but the interactions of the different continents is much harder, I assume intentionally so.

This is fixed by spergy fans though:
http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Maps

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Electronico6 posted:

As for the child Well Habbi already answer. But does the Child actually see Cotillion when he's shrouded or is Cotillion not shrouded at all. :tinfoil:
Coltillion was shrouded, but Apt and her kind are not originally from the realm of Shadow iirc, so they kind of never mentioned that his powers may not always work on their kind, and Panek's cyclops eye was made by Apt so it shares some of that power and it was a big "whoa, poo poo, gently caress me!" for Cotillion. It may or may not be explored more later on, I don't recall.

Panek and Apt certainly come and go, though.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
The idea that Erikson had still to develop as a writer when he wrote GotM completely fell when I started reading "This River Awakens" (published one year before GotM).

In fact this is my suggestion now: if you love Malazan then read this book because you're going to love it. If instead you're one of those who tried reading Malazan after it was recommended and yet didn't like it at all then stop right there and read this book instead. "This River Awakens" will tell you whether or not to spend another precious minute reading the Malazan series.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
If someone is interested I wrote my review of This River Awakens now that I finished reading it.

http://loopingworld.com/2011/11/17/this-river-awakens/

I can honestly say that while I'm one of the biggest fans of Malazan this other book surpassed all of it. Just so. It's bewildering.

I really hope Malazan fans and haters will read it when the new version is published in January (hoping the revision won't ruin the version I read).

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

misguided rage posted:

I'm about three quarters of the way through right now (thanks to this forum!) and this is pretty much how I feel. I only vaguely understood what was going on, and there was just a ton of stuff that he mentions and implies is really important, but that you don't really know anything about. Although as the story continues and more context is given it's really satisfying to start seeing how things fit together, and stuff that popped up in previous chapters starts to make a little more sense. All in all I've really enjoyed how he wrote it, but I can definitely see why it's described as a slog.

The siege of Pale was especially good.

I don't know if you're 3/4 through GotM or the entire series, but if it's GotM then reread it once you're done with 3 or 4 books. There are so many little details that are really cool that you don't see at first.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Almost finished with Deadhouse Gates, and goddamned I'm loving it.

Coltaine is a total badass, I really hope he somehow makes it out of this all alive but it's probably too much to wish for. Also, the entire relationship between Icarium and Mappo has me really emotionally invested in them. I have yet to see how it finishes, but I suspect that Mappo can't live with Icarium. How can he live without his best friend? :ohdear:

Come to think of it, everyone is a loving badass. Fiddler rules, Baudin ruled, Heboric rules, Duiker rules, I feel like everyone's had kickass moments. I can't wait to see how it all wraps up.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Pretty interesting interview/podcast here for those interested:
http://www.adventuresinscifipublishing.com/2011/11/aisfp-151-steven-erikson/

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Cover art for volume 1 of the ICE's new book. Quorls, bombing my Dharujistan?

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
For a moment I thought I misclicked on a thread about China Mieville.

Don't like much those Quorls, too much like giant libellulas.

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Imagined quorls looking more like cicadas than dragonflys. Maybe because dragonfly just seemed obvious and a bit lame and overdone.