Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Codiusprime posted:

I love you.

Seriously. Every other home replacement has a scrolling wallpaper option.

Thanks again.

Glad to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

IT Guy posted:

I have a question about battery temps. I just downloaded a new app to help my sleep schedule. It's called "Sleep for Android" and it works loving awesome. However, it is constantly running all night to log your sleep cycles which requires it to be plugged in and left on your mattress beside you or under your pillow.

Anyway, I tried it for the first time last night and in the morning when it woke me up, The phone was pretty warm. I quickly checked the battery temp and it was at 46 degrees Celsius. Should I be worried or is it fine for an app to run all night while simultaneously the phone being charged? The same thing happens when using GPS in the car while it is plugged in, however the GPS is usually only on for an hour while this sleep app is on all night.
Technically in most cases a battery's lifespan is reduced by heat. In practice, so long as it's not getting dangerously hot, it's probably not going to ruin the phone, but if it's used every night for a year or two then you might experience noticeably shorter battery life, but to what extent is hard to tell and could be quite significant to imperceptible depending on a variety of factors.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Shanakin posted:

Technically in most cases a battery's lifespan is reduced by heat. In practice, so long as it's not getting dangerously hot, it's probably not going to ruin the phone, but if it's used every night for a year or two then you might experience noticeably shorter battery life, but to what extent is hard to tell and could be quite significant to imperceptible depending on a variety of factors.

I'm not too worried about battery lifespan as I can pick up new OEM batteries on eBay for $10. I'm more concerned about the damage on my phone or sensors. The battery has a reading on it not to subject it to temps higher than 60 degrees Celsius. It was only 46 when I woke up, which was warm to the touch but I was just wondering if that is high enough to warrant any damage to the phone.

It's also possible that it was warm because it was under my pillow and in a case. I'm going to try it again tongiht but out of the case and just lying beside the pillow. If it continues to get warm, I may stop doing this.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know of a dedicated alarm clock that does this type of stuff (wakes you up in a light sleep).

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 1, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm not sure about dedicated alarm clocks, I think these things work better when they can detect your movements. There are a bunch of sleep monitor watches on amazon, all around a hundred to a hundred fifty bucks, that do the same thing.

Also, if your phone got that hot it would take measures to reduce heat by itself, I.e. shutdown before the sensors got cooked. I'd be more worried about damage to the screen from excessive heat.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

IT Guy posted:

I'm not too worried about battery lifespan as I can pick up new OEM batteries on eBay for $10. I'm more concerned about the damage on my phone or sensors. The battery has a reading on it not to subject it to temps higher than 60 degrees Celsius. It was only 46 when I woke up, which was warm to the touch but I was just wondering if that is high enough to warrant any damage to the phone.

It's also possible that it was warm because it was under my pillow and in a case. I'm going to try it again tongiht but out of the case and just lying beside the pillow. If it continues to get warm, I may stop doing this.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know of a dedicated alarm clock that does this type of stuff (wakes you up in a light sleep).
Hmm I hadn't thought of that angle.

I've heard of people loving over their cameras just by keeping it in a polyester sock instead of a cotton pouch after a few weeks. I also know that certain screens can be permanently damaged if they get too hot. It certainly seems possible/plausible, but I have no idea how likely that actually is. Keeping it out in the open however should help considerably.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's a good replacement app for the vanilla camera? I want to so some nature photography with my Galaxy S2, but kind of struggle with the bundled camera app. Switching between focus modes and turning the flash on and off just takes too long, most bugs are long gone by the time I manage to turn macro mode back on. Is there a good alternative, maybe something that lets me use the volume buttons as triggers? I don't need any fancy post-processing bullshit, just something that's good at taking pictures.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good replacement app for the vanilla camera? I want to so some nature photography with my Galaxy S2, but kind of struggle with the bundled camera app. Switching between focus modes and turning the flash on and off just takes too long, most bugs are long gone by the time I manage to turn macro mode back on. Is there a good alternative, maybe something that lets me use the volume buttons as triggers? I don't need any fancy post-processing bullshit, just something that's good at taking pictures.

Are you are that you can swap around the buttons on the side on the SGS2? When you have all the options up, just drag it onto the button slot you want.

As for using hardware buttons. I haven't tried it but I believe there was a hacked version available on XDA that had an option to use the power button I think? I'm moderately sure no third party app can do this however.

EDIT:sorry, to change buttons, hit menu button then edit shortcuts

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Shanakin posted:

Are you are that you can swap around the buttons on the side on the SGS2? When you have all the options up, just drag it onto the button slot you want.

As for using hardware buttons. I haven't tried it but I believe there was a hacked version available on XDA that had an option to use the power button I think? I'm moderately sure no third party app can do this however.
No, I wasn't aware, I've only had the phone for a few days. Thank you, this actually helps quite a bit!

I would've thought it shouldn't be too difficult to reassign the volume keys, though. They're bound to Zoom right now, so I didn't think there'd be any real hardware limitation or anything. Well, if anybody else know something that does that, I'd be glad to hear it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

It's not a hardware problem, it's that the hardware keys are controlled on an OS level and intercepting and changing them from an app is not always the easiest thing to do.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

IT Guy posted:

I have a question about battery temps. I just downloaded a new app to help my sleep schedule. It's called "Sleep for Android" and it works loving awesome. However, it is constantly running all night to log your sleep cycles which requires it to be plugged in and left on your mattress beside you or under your pillow.

Anyway, I tried it for the first time last night and in the morning when it woke me up, The phone was pretty warm. I quickly checked the battery temp and it was at 46 degrees Celsius. Should I be worried or is it fine for an app to run all night while simultaneously the phone being charged? The same thing happens when using GPS in the car while it is plugged in, however the GPS is usually only on for an hour while this sleep app is on all night.

I used to use it and would keep it underneath my pillow. The insulated warm pillow environment caused it to heat up, when I would leave it ontop of the sheets or the bed it was fine, so consider figuring out a way to set it next to you or some place it still is exposed to the air.

This sort of caused me to stop using the app since I could not reliably keep it on my bed without it falling off...I should probably uninstall it actually, thanks for the reminder.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I used to use it and would keep it underneath my pillow. The insulated warm pillow environment caused it to heat up, when I would leave it ontop of the sheets or the bed it was fine, so consider figuring out a way to set it next to you or some place it still is exposed to the air.

This sort of caused me to stop using the app since I could not reliably keep it on my bed without it falling off...I should probably uninstall it actually, thanks for the reminder.

This is exactly why I keep it under my pillow too. I like to spread the gently caress out on my bed so I'm sure to knock it off.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

IT Guy posted:

Gentle Alarm. No motion sensing, which I'm skeptical about anyway, never did much good back when I used it, instead it plays a very quiet sound half am hour before your actual alarm time, the idea being if you are I'm a light sleep phase, you'll hear it and wake up, if you aren't, you'll stay asleep and wake up at the regular alarm. Apparently sleep cycles last roughly half an hour light, half an hour heavy, so it you sleep through the pre-alarm, you'll be in a light par when the heavy one rolls around. I dunno about that one way or the other, but it IS a solid alarm clock app.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Lprsti99 posted:

Gentle Alarm.

Just looked this up, I'll definitely give it a try. I don't know how I feel about the motion sensing yet. I've only used it one night and maybe it was a coincidence but I did wake up better this morning.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

IT Guy posted:

Just looked this up, I'll definitely give it a try. I don't know how I feel about the motion sensing yet. I've only used it one night and maybe it was a coincidence but I did wake up better this morning.

Another bonus, if you have Tasker, it has built in support for Gentle Alarm, so you can set up events for when an alarm starts/is snoozed/is dismissed.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
As a note about gReader from the last page, you can group your feeds in the web Google Reader interface, and using gReader, place group unread counts on your home screen as an icon using the normal widget.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
New G+ UI is so nice. Looks very much like ICS seems to, and it really feels and works great. I am really enjoying the swiping sideways for moving between tabs. Google Talk has done it forever, so it's about time they bring it into other apps.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

New G+ UI is so nice. Looks very much like ICS seems to, and it really feels and works great. I am really enjoying the swiping sideways for moving between tabs. Google Talk has done it forever, so it's about time they bring it into other apps.

Now if only I had any friends on G+ :(

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

big mean giraffe posted:

I love the swiping too, best thing they took from WP7. Although I wonder why they didn't loop the tabs. Seems an obvious thing to do.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
As much as I love Google+, I only actually have a few friends that use it, and they all use Facebook or Twitter anyway, so not being able to just cross-post into it with another app still bugs me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

Gentle Alarm.
Seconding this. It's a great app. I love having the nature sounds quietly begin 30 minutes prior to my main alarm, which fades in gradually.

No more jarring alarm that sets me into a pissy mode first thing in the morning. Awesome.

There is also a 'safe alarm' that's loud as hell if you don't hear the pre-alarm and main alarm. Goes off after 5 minutes I think and will wake your rear end up.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
New version of the Market (3.3.11) is rolling out apparently. Direct Download for the impatient here

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

New version of the Market (3.3.11) is rolling out apparently. Direct Download for the impatient here

Hopefully it speeds up loading times and reliability.

As the market app exists now, it's complete poo poo. Slow and unreliable comes to mind.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Decius posted:

I love the swiping too, best thing they took from WP7. Although I wonder why they didn't loop the tabs.

A rougher version of the same thing was actually around before Windows phone 7, they just never bothered to make it a prominent/consistent design pattern.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

This is a lot better at least at first glance.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Just installed on my international SGSII. Much better.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Hopefully it will actually remember which account to use.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm a big fan of Vignette- it can use the volume buttons as triggers on my Galaxy S2.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SplitSoul posted:

Beautiful Widgets can put the temperature + weather conditions as text in the status bar and weather conditions icon + temperature as a notification, if that's good enough.

Hey I hate to be annoying but I bought the app and only see options for temperature in the status bar; nothing about the condition. Are you sure it's in there somewhere?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Hamburglar posted:

Hey I hate to be annoying but I bought the app and only see options for temperature in the status bar; nothing about the condition. Are you sure it's in there somewhere?

It comes up as a notification. Drag your notification bar down to see conditions.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Is a rooted phone required to install the new Market? I tried downloading it with "Unknown Sources" checked on and I get a download unsuccessful message that "This content is not supported on this device."

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

berserker posted:

Is a rooted phone required to install the new Market? I tried downloading it with "Unknown Sources" checked on and I get a download unsuccessful message that "This content is not supported on this device."

Nah you shouldn't need a rooted phone to download and install the new market.

Make sure your downloading it as an APK file and not a zip or something like that.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

LastInLine posted:

Is there anything that explains what's different? Is it just performance stuff?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Copy and paste from android police. Most noticeably some new settings and slightly different UI.

quote:

What's changed? So far, we've found:
New setting: Auto-update apps (presumably, sets all apps to auto-update mode, woohoo!)
New setting: Update over Wi-Fi only
New setting: Auto-add shortcuts (automatically adds homescreen shortcuts for new apps, ala Honeycomb)
Smaller font
New app drawer icon
Microphone (voice command) button in search menu
Star rating chart on app pages
Minor UI tweaks

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SpacePig posted:

It comes up as a notification. Drag your notification bar down to see conditions.

ah, ok. I thought there was a way to permanently have it there the same way the temperature, time, and battery life was. Thanks anyway.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Nah you shouldn't need a rooted phone to download and install the new market.

Make sure your downloading it as an APK file and not a zip or something like that.

Hmm well trying to download it directly from the website was giving me the error, but downloading it to my PC and then copying it from there onto my phone worked. Eh, whatever, it worked.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

quote:

New setting: Auto-update apps (presumably, sets all apps to auto-update mode, woohoo!)

Oh my god, finally

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Hey folks. I just thought you might like to know that the team behind Lbe Privacy Guard has released a full overhaul of their application. It is now compatible with the latest Cyanogen stable release and roms past 2.3.5. Now maps can't ping my location every 10 minutes back to whatever master server google has :tinfoilhat::hi5::tinfoilhat:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

Is there anything that explains what's different? Is it just performance stuff?
I've never seen a changelog for it but let me write one up:
  • Advertised features now actually work
  • Auto-update option for all apps
  • Option to add shortcut for new app installations*
*That's new, right?

Hamburglar posted:

ah, ok. I thought there was a way to permanently have it there the same way the temperature, time, and battery life was. Thanks anyway.
All I did was Google "weather notification android" and this came up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Widget locker question - I changed to an ics lock with the update, but the drat thing keeps moving around. Sometimes when I go to unlock it will have moved off centre. I tried making it resize small, it goes off centre even more. I resized it to the while lock area, it still goes off-centre. When I go to resize its much smaller than I set it & off centre. Anyone else have this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Widget locker question - I changed to an ics lock with the update, but the drat thing keeps moving around. Sometimes when I go to unlock it will have moved off centre. I tried making it resize small, it goes off centre even more. I resized it to the while lock area, it still goes off-centre. When I go to resize its much smaller than I set it & off centre. Anyone else have this issue?

I have a weird issue where a lot of times if I have my physical keyboard open, it'll try displaying in portrait even though the keyboard forces it into landscape. The result is that I have a tiny clock stretched all the way across the top of my screen and the lockscreen ring sitting in the bottom center. It's kind of intermittent and I keep forgetting to take a screenshot to send to the devs.

• Locked thread