Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I'm really nowhere near this point in the game, but is the Astora Straight Sword viable as an endgame weapon, provided I level it up enough and stick to PvE? As nerdy as this sounds, my character is a Knight (with some slight dabbling in miracles) so I'd prefer to stick to swords and shields, but I don't want to do like seemingly every person under the sun and make a Lightning Zweihander because that doesn't sound especially fun.

I initially thought of making a Greatsword of Artorias build but I imagine the stat spread would gently caress me over for a majority of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Alteisen posted:

All these changes seem pretty drat good, I may just re-roll(again) since I hosed up my pyromancy.

It does all apply for all consoles right? The patch I mean.
The PS3 patch should be for all regions since they share multiplayer and it'd be odd to have mismatching versioned clients trying to play with each other.

The 360 patch has not been announced yet.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: loving Microsoft slowing poo poo down. I want twinkling titanite, gently caress patch authorization.

Lightning Zweihander might be beyond cookie cutter but it's undeniably effective. Especially with the Crystal Ring Shield. That said, I want a different weapon that's strength-based but quicker than the zweihander, and there isn't much to choose from. There's a lot of stuff with 16+ higher strength requirements with the same (or worse) base damage. They also weigh a fuckload more.

When you go into the Painted World of Ariamis, climb up the tower to get the Red Sign Soapstone. Then, just look around at the tiny little realm. That is all Priscilla had, ever since she was a child. Everyone she's been locked up with has hollowed and gone insane. It isn't a world, it's a prison cell. She stands alone, deluded that she's in a place that could be described as "peaceful" in any way. It's honestly a mercy to kill her. :smith:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

-Blackadder- posted:

Also do I need to have already beaten a boss to help someone else fight him?

Nope.

If you're trying to get summoned, you really want to try and pick a boss that's around the level range you'd get from playing the game naturally. It's pretty easy to get, say, 15-20 around Capra Demon, and if you're much higher (60-70+) you can maybe get some NG+ bites, but at 35 your best bet is probably Queelag.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

gibbed posted:

The PS3 patch should be for all regions since they share multiplayer and it'd be odd to have mismatching versioned clients trying to play with each other.

The 360 patch has not been announced yet.

To be fair, 360 version also has to deal with the character editor :suicide:

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Psycho Mantits posted:

I'm really nowhere near this point in the game, but is the Astora Straight Sword viable as an endgame weapon, provided I level it up enough and stick to PvE? As nerdy as this sounds, my character is a Knight (with some slight dabbling in miracles) so I'd prefer to stick to swords and shields, but I don't want to do like seemingly every person under the sun and make a Lightning Zweihander because that doesn't sound especially fun.

Astora's has better scaling (C/C/-/C) but you're still probably going to get more out of a straight Divine Longsword. Wait and see how difficult Twinkling Titanite is after the patch, I guess.

Fyn
Jul 29, 2006

Zain posted:

Quick question regarding Sunlight Spear. So my character is already apart of the Sun covenant, in order to get the spear I'll need Gywn's soul right? But he is the final boss if I was in the covenant when I complete the game does that mean in NG+ I will still be in it? Or do I have to work with more jolly co-op to get back in?

In NG+ joined the Warriors of Sunlight and got +1, but didn't realize I needed Gywn's soul to get one of the miracles until much later after I had switched covenants a bunch of times. However, in NG++ the first thing I did was run over to the shrine and join, and I was able to offer it right away (without offering 10 more Sunlight Medals) to get my final miracle ( and Plat the game, finally :woop: ).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Patch notes were already discussed, but here's a more complete translation:

http://pastebin.com/4Wzjemh0

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
12 noon Wednesday in Japan is in about seven hours.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Samurai Sanders posted:

12 noon Wednesday in Japan is in about seven hours.
Maybe they'll announce when the 360 patch will be as they release the PS3 patch? This game, more than any other, has made me wish I had a PS3. Way bigger playerbase and a prompt patch combine to inspire significant jealousy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Watching this guy Dragon Head glitch for souls before the patch comes in.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I really hope that when they "fix" the matchmaking, that they make it so people who have obviously cheated to huge soul levels are completely cut off from normal multiplayer. I invaded a guy in the forest last night, backstabbed him 6 times for 350 damage each, and his health bar barely decreased at all. I'm hoping that the "can invade anyone at a higher level than you" ends up becoming "can invade up to 30 levels higher than you", or at least something to make things less ridiculous.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Palleon posted:

I really hope that when they "fix" the matchmaking, that they make it so people who have obviously cheated to huge soul levels are completely cut off from normal multiplayer. I invaded a guy in the forest last night, backstabbed him 6 times for 350 damage each, and his health bar barely decreased at all. I'm hoping that the "can invade anyone at a higher level than you" ends up becoming "can invade up to 30 levels higher than you", or at least something to make things less ridiculous.

This is an issue for forest pvp. For other areas though I kinda like the idea that people who are rushing Darkwraith to grief people in undead burg can run into level 100 characters in NG+.

Next time I finish the game I swear to god I'm going to skip undead burg completely in NG+ just so I can sit there in human form and grief the gently caress out of level 5 Darkwraiths. Hell I might even skip the zone before NG+. That first boss is 100% optional as far as I know and coming back at SL 50 to farm some humanity sounds like fun.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Palleon posted:

Are you on the 360? Because you did about 2100 damage, which would kill someone even at 99 vit. They were most likely cheating with a character editor if they had that much HP.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Volitaire posted:

Are you on the 360? Because you did about 2100 damage, which would kill someone even at 99 vit. They were most likely cheating with a character editor if they had that much HP.

No, I was on the PS3. I'm actually not sure all the backstabs did that much damage, a few triggered as doing that damage, a bunch of others didn't even register as him getting hit (I did the backstab animation, he went down, but he didn't even show damage, not even a zero). Maybe he was using that broken spell that absorbs all damage, but why would some go through and others not (I didn't see him cast anything in-between)?

In any case, 6 backstabs, the ones that did damage were 350+ damage, and he maybe lost 10% of his health.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Palleon posted:

No, I was on the PS3. I'm actually not sure all the backstabs did that much damage, a few triggered as doing that damage, a bunch of others didn't even register as him getting hit (I did the backstab animation, he went down, but he didn't even show damage, not even a zero). Maybe he was using that broken spell that absorbs all damage, but why would some go through and others not (I didn't see him cast anything in-between)?

In any case, 6 backstabs, the ones that did damage were 350+ damage, and he maybe lost 10% of his health.
You'll know he's abusing greater magic shield because his shield will glow blue.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

goons posted:

Queelag is best bet for getting summoned for my level range(35).

Ok, thanks. I'll take the back way down to blight town from the Valley of the Drakes and hang by Queelag for while.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok, thanks. I'll take the back way down to blight town from the Valley of the Drakes and hang by Queelag for while.

You're also more likely to be summoned at the Blighttown Swamp bonfire than you are outside the boss, a lot of people drop signs there, and if they already grabbed two at the bonfire, obviously they won't be summoning you at the gate (plus you have to compete with Maneater Mildred).

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM

Palleon posted:

You're also more likely to be summoned at the Blighttown Swamp bonfire than you are outside the boss, a lot of people drop signs there, and if they already grabbed two at the bonfire, obviously they won't be summoning you at the gate (plus you have to compete with Maneater Mildred).

Speaking of Mildred, if you get summoned at the bonfire, there's a chance the host hasn't beaten her yet, which means a nice little chunk of extra souls for you

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nechronic posted:

NO ITEMS

NO FOG RING

NO MAGIC

KATANAS ONLY

ANOR LONDO BRIDGE

BOW BEFORE DUEL

:goonsay:

I know the fog ring is poo poo but I don't know what kind of drugs people are on here talking about "honor" in demon souls PvP.

Demon Souls pvp was about hiding behind tough enemies in order to open you up for a backstab, ambushing you, taking 100 full moon grass that could be consumed before a shortsword swing could be completed, using one-hit horribly strong spells, etc.

Maybe 1/100 times you'd get a guy who wanted a real fight but then you were probably the rear end in a top hat shooting laser beams and gobbling grass.

vvvYou missed something. There's a sewer underneathe with a lever that will open up the hall to the final area.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm probably retard but I can't figure out the painting world.

I've grabbed everything, killed a bunch of dudes, some bird men and other things but can't figure what to do now, I found a red stone way the gently caress up top of the map, I assume this is something important to this stage but I don't know.

I killed a zombie dragon and while I do see something else on the bridge poking it with my spear does nothing.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

enojy posted:

I didn't get any items out of killing the chaos bugs, but I did kill 9 my first time through the shortcut, and Solaire showed up after that. Every other time I went down there, there were only 8 bugs to kill, so I'm guessing that 9th bastard that facehugs Solaire is gone for good once you kill it once.

The ninth worm drops the sunlight maggot helmet and doesn respawn, you should be fine. I know this because I'm OCD and went back to make sure I killed all nine then freaked out for a bit when I only saw eight. :saddowns:

E: ^^^^^ do a forward+R2 attack

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

oneliquidninja posted:

This is an issue for forest pvp. For other areas though I kinda like the idea that people who are rushing Darkwraith to grief people in undead burg can run into level 100 characters in NG+.

Yeah, I really like it when I two-shot some jerk who invades me in NG+ Undead Parish and starts ineptly trying to hit me with Great Combustion. He's obviously sitting there griefing new players, and I like the idea that I'm handing out karmic justice.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Alteisen posted:

I've grabbed everything, killed a bunch of dudes, some bird men and other things but can't figure what to do now, I found a red stone way the gently caress up top of the map, I assume this is something important to this stage but I don't know.

I killed a zombie dragon and while I do see something else on the bridge poking it with my spear does nothing.

There is a basement/sewer with a switch that opens the door to the boss. You can enter it either via a well in the courtyard or through some door/stair/whatever somewhere.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I know the fog ring is poo poo but I don't know what kind of drugs people are on here talking about "honor" in demon souls PvP.

Demon Souls pvp was about hiding behind tough enemies in order to open you up for a backstab, ambushing you, taking 100 full moon grass that could be consumed before a shortsword swing could be completed, using one-hit horribly strong spells, etc.

Maybe 1/100 times you'd get a guy who wanted a real fight but then you were probably the rear end in a top hat shooting laser beams and gobbling grass.

vvvYou missed something. There's a sewer underneathe with a lever that will open up the hall to the final area.

Well to be fair if you PvP'd in 4-1 or 1-4 around SL120 you'll be fighting in mostly "honorable" matches where people will bow and not grass spam and poo poo.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Find a ladder down a well, enter labyrinth of false walls and wheel skeletons, find the gigantic chamber of gently caress you wheel skeletons, and the lever should be right there.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Amdis posted:

E: ^^^^^ do a forward+R2 attack
Please don't recommend this. This is unintentional behavior and is avoiding a good chunk of the content.

The correct method is to go down below to the sewers and open the way up by finding a switch that rotates a statue.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Holy poo poo The Kiln of the First Flame is beautiful.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
How do I kill the skeletons near the chests at the bonfire base in land of lords?

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

to be specific, the way down to the switch is in the courtyard with the phalanx guys, either through a well in one of the corners of the courtyard or the basement of one of the buildings.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

Maybe they'll announce when the 360 patch will be as they release the PS3 patch? This game, more than any other, has made me wish I had a PS3. Way bigger playerbase and a prompt patch combine to inspire significant jealousy.
There isn't even a 360 version in Japan so I'm sure the 360 version is a way, way WAY lower priority for them. Japanese devs talk about the world market all the time, but when it comes down to it their local market always comes first, since it is literally what they see when they look out the window of their office.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: :smith:

Woozey posted:

to be specific, the way down to the switch is in the courtyard with the phalanx guys, either through a well in one of the corners of the courtyard or the basement of one of the buildings.
I don't think I've ever fought those guys. Is there any good reason to?

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Elysiume posted:

^^: :smith:
I don't think I've ever fought those guys. Is there any good reason to?

well, they give a fair amount of souls and they're not too hard to kill if you get behind the shield (or spew some poison at them). They don't drop anything exciting as far as I know though.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

-Blackadder- posted:

Places where I've had success being summoned/seen other players to summon:

Gargoyles - First floor of the Chapel, near where the Fire Keeper's Soul / stairs to second floor are. There are three ways a player could be approaching this boss (elevator from Firelink, path from blacksmith, front door) but they'll all pass through this room and see your sign. Levels 1-15, maybe 20.

Capra - Right in front of his boss door. No one seems to bother dropping signs or summoning earlier in the stage for some reason. 10-20.

Moonlight Butterfly - Haven't been able to get a bite here in a while, but early on I had luck either outside the Crest of Astorias door and at the bottom of the Butterfly's tower, near the Witch Beatrice's sign. 10-20ish, I think. If you're a Mage or Pyro and you get summoned by a melee character you'll make them very happy.

Gaping Dragon - Either by the Depths bonfire or by the stairs leading to his boss door (where Solaire's sign is). Both are pretty frequent, but I prefer the bonfire as you can farm rats/goops to kill time while waiting on the summon to bite. 15-25, maybe 30. Surprisingly high number of souls for how easy he is.

Queelag - By the Blightown swamp bonfire. You can also get bites by her door, but the bonfire is usually a shorter wait. You can farm slugs if you want to kill time. 15-35. Also rewards high number of souls.

Iron Golem - Either the first room in Sen's or immediately before the boss door. If you drop at the entrance you're probably going to get someone who hasn't cleared the stage and unlocked the shortcut yet, but it's much more reliable than waiting on someone to get to the boss door.

Smough/Ornstein - In the bonfire room inside the Anor Londo castle proper. It's much more reliable than dropping at the boss door. 40-55 seems to be the sweet spot.

New Londo - Weirdly, I've had the best success either dropping at the very beginning of the stage, either in the plaza right near the door from Firelink/Valley of Drakes or down before the first bridge. Level range here is all kind of messed up, since you will have people plenty of people coming here with lower-than-expected characters in order to unlock a Covenant.

Duke's Archives - Bonfire on the first floor near the Crystal Caves entrance.

Tomb of the Giants - Either the last bonfire, or in the room before the boss door. If you choose the latter, you have the added bonus of being able to farm Humanity while waiting.

Lost Izalith - gently caress Lost Izalith.

I don't think I've ever gotten any bites in the Catacombs or the Forest Covenant/Sif area, but those seem to be hot PVP spots.

YorexTheMad fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 1, 2011

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the shortcut, how do you actually unlock it? I assume you're referring to the part in Sens after the elevator, where you can walk up to a caged door that only opens on one side (otherwise you run up to the boulder room). I've been through the stage a number of times, and I have absolutely no idea how you're supposed to get over to that side. I even have the Futurepress guide, and it doesn't show how to get over there (or I can't read the map).

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

YorexTheMad posted:

I don't think I've ever gotten any bites in the Catacombs or the Forest Covenant/Sif area, but those seem to be hot PVP spots.

I got some summons at SL 65, I think, right in from of Sif boss door.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Palleon posted:

Speaking of the shortcut, how do you actually unlock it? I assume you're referring to the part in Sens after the elevator, where you can walk up to a caged door that only opens on one side (otherwise you run up to the boulder room). I've been through the stage a number of times, and I have absolutely no idea how you're supposed to get over to that side. I even have the Futurepress guide, and it doesn't show how to get over there (or I can't read the map).

Know where the Crestfallen Merchant is in Sen's? Wheree you have to jump across a broken platform in the last stretch of the level?

Go to the bottom of the Merchant's tower, kill a snake mage, behind him is a Cage Key. That will unlock the cages that are in the room right before the boss room. Hop in one once they're unlocked, and they will serve as an elevator to/from the beginning of the stage.

edit: Master's Key won't work, even though it unlocks the other cages in the stage.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Samurai Sanders posted:

There isn't even a 360 version in Japan so I'm sure the 360 version is a way, way WAY lower priority for them. Japanese devs talk about the world market all the time, but when it comes down to it their local market always comes first, since it is literally what they see when they look out the window of their office.

Well that sucks, guess it's going to be some time before we get it then?

I'm not really in the mood to play before the patch comes out, thanks for posting the patch notes 8-bit Miniboss.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

YorexTheMad posted:

Know where the Crestfallen Merchant is in Sen's? Wheree you have to jump across a broken platform in the last stretch of the level?

Go to the bottom of the Merchant's tower, kill a snake mage, behind him is a Cage Key. That will unlock the cages that are in the room right before the boss room. Hop in one once they're unlocked, and they will serve as an elevator to/from the beginning of the stage.

:aaaaa:

I never even thought to look at those cages before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Palleon posted:

:aaaaa:

I never even thought to look at those cages before.
Cages like that were used as elevators in Demon's so I completely expected that they would have that function in Dark.

• Locked thread