Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

Post it up! I've got the Michigan guys from that set.

I agree.

After I read

Dan Hollis posted:

Can't believe the Hockey cards thread has twice as many posts as the baseball cards thread. That's just un-American.
the other day I had a thought that this thread should just end up the non-hockey card thread. That is unless the basketball card people try to stage a full-on takeover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Card shop was sold out of Bowman (again), so I bought half a box of Allen & Ginter.
And got nothing.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Chief McHeath posted:

I agree.

After I read

the other day I had a thought that this thread should just end up the non-hockey card thread. That is unless the basketball card people try to stage a full-on takeover.

There won't be basketball card people until the lockout is over...no 2011-12 products will come out until the owners and players agree.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

AsInHowe posted:

There won't be basketball card people until the lockout is over...no 2011-12 products will come out until the owners and players agree.

Is that part of their agreement? I remember hockey had a few lackluster NHL products and then some really sweet releases by ITG during the lockout that focused on junior/foreign leagues and individual players based on who would sign a licensing agreement with them.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Schremp Howard posted:

Is that part of their agreement? I remember hockey had a few lackluster NHL products and then some really sweet releases by ITG during the lockout that focused on junior/foreign leagues and individual players based on who would sign a licensing agreement with them.

The NHL/NHLPA's agreement with licensed companies is different than the NBA's. Hockey had a Upper Deck, SP Authentic, and Ultimate sets come out with current players, and some ITG sets with retired players.

The NBA is apparently not even allowing new products to be developed. There are no preorders, no release dates, nothing.

Even the NFL had products in the pipeline during their lockout.

Weirdly enough, the NBA is the only league to completely strip all current players from their websites and properties during their negotiations, so I'd assume it's all part of the same separation.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
If I was insanely rich Im not sure I would drop a bunch of stacks on baseball memorabilia but its cool this guy did.

http://topprospectalert.com/2011/10/03/marshall-fogel-has-awesome-baseball-memorabilia-collection/

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Got an envelope in my own handwriting today. I was shocked because I haven't sent any TTM autograph requests since February 15th, and that was to spring training centers.

I'll have to check my records but I think this is my longest return yet. 230 Days.

:woop:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Boinks posted:

Got an envelope in my own handwriting today. I was shocked because I haven't sent any TTM autograph requests since February 15th, and that was to spring training centers.

I'll have to check my records but I think this is my longest return yet. 230 Days.

:woop:

Was really hoping you sent that in 1989.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzpk5dMhVE4

Nice sign, I bought a bunch of that series from some local "antique" consignment shop thing. I can't tell if I like them because of the design or like them because I hate the design of them so much.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Yeah the local card shop had a bunch of 1989 Fleer rack packs for 75 cents a few years ago (not that I don't have a stack of these in my parents garage somewhere). I bought 4 of them and got 2 Griffey rookies and a Billy Ripken fuckface card (with the black box though). Brought back a lot of memories!

edit--> I like the 89 Fleer design, and 90 Fleer, but the 91 design...:gonk: That yellow is still burned into my eyes 20 years later.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 4, 2011

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
No picture, but one year for my dad's birthday my mom managed to get a hold of a ball signed by Pee Wee Reese. My dad was born in Brooklyn in 1950 and Pee Wee was his favorite player. He has it in a fancy plastic box and nobody is allowed to touch it now. It's always a good bet to get my dad something Dodgers related for a gift. Brooklyn though...so help you if you get him something to do with the L.A. Dodgers. Last Christmas I got him his first Brooklyn cap since he was a kid, and for father's day I got him a biography of Roy Campanella.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Started collecting low end minor league t206
so far

not sure if I should focus on raw vs graded or just grab whatever I can to complete

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McCloud24 posted:

No picture, but one year for my dad's birthday my mom managed to get a hold of a ball signed by Pee Wee Reese. My dad was born in Brooklyn in 1950 and Pee Wee was his favorite player. He has it in a fancy plastic box and nobody is allowed to touch it now. It's always a good bet to get my dad something Dodgers related for a gift. Brooklyn though...so help you if you get him something to do with the L.A. Dodgers. Last Christmas I got him his first Brooklyn cap since he was a kid, and for father's day I got him a biography of Roy Campanella.
Tell your dad that if he wants to keep the ball correctly preserved, he needs to buy a UV case (if he hasn't already). Greatly reduces the fading from natural light sources when displaying signed balls. I have a large one that I keep my HOF signed balls in.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

streetlamp posted:

not sure if I should focus on raw vs graded or just grab whatever I can to complete
Depends on how you feel about counterfeits. You can save easily 50% on costs by buying ungraded, and no one is going to counterfeit a no-name from T-206 to sell for $45 when they could counterfeit a Wagner or LaJoie and make :signings:

You can always have your raw cards slabbed later for :20bux: or so if they are clean.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tell your dad that if he wants to keep the ball correctly preserved, he needs to buy a UV case (if he hasn't already). Greatly reduces the fading from natural light sources when displaying signed balls. I have a large one that I keep my HOF signed balls in.

I'll tell him that, thanks. We both love baseball, but neither one of us has ever been a huge memorabilia buff. When my mom was pregnant with me though she went to some signing event at Marshall Fields in Chicago, where I was born, and got all of the Cubs to sign a ball. I guess the line let her through because she was super-huge pregnant at the time. This would've been '87, and I have no idea where that ball went. Good thing I'm a Brewers fan now or I'd probably be really pissed off that I lost it.

The only other memorabilia of any kind that I have is an official Louisville Slugger that my dad got for me when he visited the factory and got my name cut into it. So yeah, pretty much memorabilia virgins, both of us.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

The debate was more about I enjoy the ability to remove and handle a raw card then stare at a slab of plastic. But graded cards are nice to display, archive and store.

But they are $20 cards that I think I'll just be getting what I can for my price range and worrying about slabs or not later. I am worried about a few pricier minor league guys on the list but I think they should all be under $100.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 4, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

On one hand I'm really glad Nelson Cruz did all this stuff in the ALCS, but on the other his cards used to be dirt-cheap and now they probably won't be. I'm just glad I managed to build up a sizable player collection for him over the season (and maybe I'll flip one of the auto rookie cards).

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

On one hand I'm really glad Nelson Cruz did all this stuff in the ALCS, but on the other his cards used to be dirt-cheap and now they probably won't be.

They will likely be dirt cheap once again, so I'd strike while the iron is hot. Playoff stardom rarely translates into continued success into subsequent seasons, and Cruz's lifetime stats indicate he's simply better than average. Not a superstar by any means.

Here's hoping he does well in the WS so you can at least sell a card or two and recover what you paid for your collection. No doubt there will be some rabid Texas Rangers fans you can separate from their cash.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FCB posted:

Comments: Don’t let the picture deceive, you know better, Nelson’s not hitting home runs for his old team, the Brewers in the playoffs, it’s the Rangers that he’s dropping bombs on the Tigers for. Five home runs already this post season for Nelson! You should also note that Nelson continues the first theme of the Hot List this week, baseball playoffs (we’ll get to that second theme in a moment). Nelson is a big power guy who gets on tears and thus he’s prone to really hot spells. He’s having one of those really hot spells and it is in the playoffs, thus the cards are getting another look. His 2006 chromes made a similar move up to Mr. Freese’s moving from $15 to $30 this week

http://freedomcardboard.com/blog/2011/10/14/fcb-weekly-hot-list-october-14th-2011-edition/

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

WillBBC3 posted:

Every time a 53 Mantle pops up on Net54 I always take a look. When PSA 3s or 4s that have nice eye appeal show up for under a grand I always consider it. Both beautiful cards. I love the 53 set so much more than the 52s--and I like that set a lot, too.

So in my never-ending quest to get this card, I finally found a PSA 1 with great centering, vibrant color, and no paper loss. (It's a 1 because of the small pinhole on the top that looks more like a small crease without a high res scan or a loupe.) Paid a few bucks over the going rate for a 1, but still way under 2 price and you really just don't see 1s that present this nice often:

The 53 Mantle is to me the definition of "baseball card" and I've wanted one for like twenty years. And now I've finally got one.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

jeffersonlives posted:

So in my never-ending quest to get this card, I finally found a PSA 1 with great centering, vibrant color, and no paper loss. (It's a 1 because of the small pinhole on the top that looks more like a small crease without a high res scan or a loupe.) Paid a few bucks over the going rate for a 1, but still way under 2 price and you really just don't see 1s that present this nice often:

The 53 Mantle is to me the definition of "baseball card" and I've wanted one for like twenty years. And now I've finally got one.

How much was it?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

IMB posted:

How much was it?

More than I'd like to admit I spent on a 2 5/8" by 3 3/4" piece of cardboard. Current VCP average on 1s is between $305 and $361 depending on the grader, I was in between those numbers.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Wow, I had no idea even beat the hell up old cards like that were so expensive. I always thought it went from thousands and thousands for the good ones to chump change for bad ones.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Wow, I had no idea even beat the hell up old cards like that were so expensive. I always thought it went from thousands and thousands for the good ones to chump change for bad ones.

This is definitely true for anything 80s and later, and definitely not true for anything 50s and earlier where there just aren't a lot of high grade examples floating around and the cards are still in demand. (60s and 70s cards fall into a middle zone.) At the extremes, a real beater T206 Wagner which I would classify more as a portion of the card than a full Wagner - it was trimmed heavily, punctured, and shellacked - sold for over $200k at auction a little while ago. 52 Mantles that look like they went through a shredder still go for a couple grand.

I'm debating whether my next step is to build a Mantle master set since I'm a big fan of a lot of his later cards too - and eventually hope to swing back around and get the 52 after I hit the lottery - or build the 53 Topps set. I really like his 55 Bowman, 56 Topps, 59 Topps, and 60 Topps as well. Mick took a lot of badass looking card poses.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Is there some trick to register at Net54 that I cant find in the rules/faq? I registered but could never get access to the trading section and then they revoked my registration.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

streetlamp posted:

Is there some trick to register at Net54 that I cant find in the rules/faq? I registered but could never get access to the trading section and then they revoked my registration.

You have to e-mail Leon, he usually wants a phone number and name attached to every account.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Thanks, it would be nice for a alternative to ebay.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

streetlamp posted:

Thanks, it would be nice for a alternative to ebay.

To be honest I'm a little disappointed about B/S/T after hearing so many great things about it. Anything at a good price gets snapped up so fast that you have to check it like ten times a day to find a particularly good deal, and a lot of it suffers from the eBay BIN syndrome of sticking a high price on your piece because you just want to show it off and not sell it. It's a good resource but it's not a replacement for eBay or the auction houses.

The discussion on Net54 is absolutely great though.

eta: I don't want to sound like I'm trashing the site. It's an excellent site. Just haven't found much on the B/S/T yet in the three months I've been looking.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 30, 2011

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I buy packs of cards on occasion when I go to ballgames, but my prized possession is my Billy Ripken "gently caress face" error card.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Does anyone know where I might find an overview of all card sets produced, for say, just 2011? Like a flow chart of which company makes which cards, to get me started? All the different sets with their refractor, chrome, regular cards, signature, subsets within sets, etc, etc, has my head ready to explode! My Google-fu has been weak on this one and I need some help.

I suppose I could try to find a price guide to clue me in, but most of the grocery store and other newsstands around here quit carrying Beckett and TuffStuff.

I got out of collecting baseball memorabilia in the early 90's when the number of available cards and sets went parabolic and started to cost a lot. Apparently gone are the days of 15 cents for a pack of cards, now they go for $3-5 or more and there are less cards per pack (though the quality is a lot higher). I'm looking to get back into the hobby in a limited way and I'm just wondering where to start. Thanks.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Does anyone know where I might find an overview of all card sets produced, for say, just 2011? Like a flow chart of which company makes which cards, to get me started? All the different sets with their refractor, chrome, regular cards, signature, subsets within sets, etc, etc, has my head ready to explode! My Google-fu has been weak on this one and I need some help.

I suppose I could try to find a price guide to clue me in, but most of the grocery store and other newsstands around here quit carrying Beckett and TuffStuff.

I got out of collecting baseball memorabilia in the early 90's when the number of available cards and sets went parabolic and started to cost a lot. Apparently gone are the days of 15 cents for a pack of cards, now they go for $3-5 or more and there are less cards per pack (though the quality is a lot higher). I'm looking to get back into the hobby in a limited way and I'm just wondering where to start. Thanks.

The short summary for this year is that Topps is the exclusive manufacturer for MLB, and they produced around 8-10 releases, all of which have some inserts, jersey cards, autographs, et cetera.

I'll write up a bigger thing later, but every set has a certain gimmick or niche to it, and most of them cam seem complex but aren't really that bad.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Two places, one, BaseballCardPedia.

Two, go to BlowoutCards.com, pick a product and download what's called the sell sheet. So if you wanted to learn all about 2011 Topps Chrome, you'd go to the product page and eventually get to the sell sheet (PDF link) for the product.

Then of course the back of the actual pack will tell you what the odds are for getting any/all of these cards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Also TuffStuff shut down either the beginning of this year, or Jan 2010.

You can also go into Sportlots.com, a site where you can buy single cards, and they have a list of all products for every year.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
OK, thanks for the tips on where to find info for card sets, that will help a lot.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Also might I recommend vintage cards? I only recently got into collecting cards outside of small childhood interests but I got tired of new cards almost right away. I just find it much more rewarding seeking and finding a good deal on the exact card I'm looking for. And I just prefer the look, size, everything tangible about cards comparing them to the refractor crap.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'd also recommend set building, at least over chasing the 'hits'. There's a few websites you can join and trade doubles with people (I use sportscardforum).

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I also work part-time at a giant sports memorabilia store, so if you need a certain thing, I can probably hunt one down or point you in the right direction.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

streetlamp posted:

Also might I recommend vintage cards? I only recently got into collecting cards outside of small childhood interests but I got tired of new cards almost right away. I just find it much more rewarding seeking and finding a good deal on the exact card I'm looking for. And I just prefer the look, size, everything tangible about cards comparing them to the refractor crap.

Finding vintage cards is fun, and I've got a few from my collecting days, mostly 60's and a few 50's thrown in. Roberto Clemente is a favorite of mine so I have quite a few of his cards.

The problem with vintage cards is they're so expensive these days, if they're in good shape at least. I like getting cards in the best shape possible, so that means many $$$$ that I just can't currently justify spending on cards.

I agree with you though, there's nothing like those old cards to have and look at, to imagine what baseball was like back in the day.

Boinks posted:

I'd also recommend set building, at least over chasing the 'hits'. There's a few websites you can join and trade doubles with people (I use sportscardforum).

Yep, I've always enjoyed set building. I might start by just trying to build the basic Topps set from this year and go from there.

I was eyeing the 2010 Allen and Ginter hobby boxes on eBay because I like the old-timey look, but then I see that they include players and celebrities from other sports. Screw that! I want just baseball players thank you very much. I know the original Allen and Ginter stuff was from multiple sports, I just don't care about anything other than baseball right now.

Any advice about recent sets to get me started would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at stuff that isn't too expensive and still has sealed boxes available to buy. I love opening fresh packs of cards to see what's inside. Takes me back to my childhood.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spork Heidelberg posted:

I agree with you though, there's nothing like those old cards to have and look at, to imagine what baseball was like back in the day.

Yep, I've always enjoyed set building. I might start by just trying to build the basic Topps set from this year and go from there.

Any advice about recent sets to get me started would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at stuff that isn't too expensive and still has sealed boxes available to buy. I love opening fresh packs of cards to see what's inside. Takes me back to my childhood.

In my opinion, for a purely fun product, I'd go with 2011 Topps Lineage. It's all baseball; it has current stars, legends and rookies; it has a lot of fun insert sets and is relatively inexpensive to build.

The Topps sets are fun to build, but considering how expensive boxes have been this year, I'd recommend buying the factory set for Series 1 and 2, and then get packs and boxes of Topps Update. That would get you the "full" set with not as much cost and work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

AsInHowe posted:

In my opinion, for a purely fun product, I'd go with 2011 Topps Lineage. It's all baseball; it has current stars, legends and rookies; it has a lot of fun insert sets and is relatively inexpensive to build.

The Topps sets are fun to build, but considering how expensive boxes have been this year, I'd recommend buying the factory set for Series 1 and 2, and then get packs and boxes of Topps Update. That would get you the "full" set with not as much cost and work.

Thanks for your suggestions. After checking on pricing, I decided to go for Topps Series 1, 2 and Update. I bought some Series 1 and some Lineage locally, paying $2.00/pack for Series 1 and $3.00/pack for Lineage. Series 1 has more cards per pack as well, so that's a bonus.

I like them both, but the inserts for Series 1 interest me more and the price is right. I couldn't find Series 1 cheaper than $2.00/pack even on eBay through buying the hobby boxes, so I'll stick with the individual 2011 packs for now and buy some 2012 hobby boxes next year at the time of release. Hopefully prices will be lower then at start of the year. Maybe the hobby boxes cost so much because they guarantee at least one relic or auto in the box? I dunno.

Anton Chigurh fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 3, 2011

• Locked thread