Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I know that's the rule now its just odd that a doctor saw that elbow to the back of the head and said No, we cant do that so they banned that kind of strike completely, rather than just sticking with the ban to back of head strikes.

I think McCarthy is just not remembering correctly, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's possible the doctor was more upset about an elbow strike to any location of the head and the video just happened to be of an elbow to the back of the head.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
i remember i was drunk at a boardwalk once and had just seen ong bak so i dropped a wicked sick 12-6 elbow on this strength test game and got like 1/4 of the way up now my arm tingles when I throw things full force

edit: doctors make everything unfun, e.g. bjs, drugs

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Save Russian Jews posted:

bjs

how did doctors try to make bjs unfun?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Attention: This is not a chat thread. Please keep the discussion at least vaguely relevant to combat sports.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
With the recent injury to GSP, I've been wondering why training injuries are so common among high level fighters. These guys obviously know what they are doing and train with people who are qualified, so why do they keep getting hurt? Do you have to train hard and risk injury in order to be competitive at the highest levels? Does the UFC have a role to play, possibly by regulating how top fighters train? The UFC is going to lose a ton of money because GSP got injured, and if Velasquez gets hurt before his fight it could have major implications for the future of MMA. If they can do anything to reduce this risk it would seriously help their business.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Injuries happen because MMA is a contact sport, that involves contact when training. Training also happens maybe twice a day 5 or 6 days a week, meaning there's a greater chance of something happening to them then the dude that rolls 3 times a week for a couple hours. Sometimes weird things happen in training, a leg gets tangled up or caught in the mats during a takedown and there goes your knee, maybe you clash heads during sparring and then suddenly you have a massive cut 2 weeks out from a fight that would prevent you from fighting.
Fighters take measures to protect themselves by wearing padding or sparring safer, but accidents still happen.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Konstantin posted:

Do you have to train hard and risk injury in order to be competitive at the highest levels?

Yes.

quote:

Does the UFC have a role to play, possibly by regulating how top fighters train?

No.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
It doesn't matter how careful you are in training, sometimes a Diego Sanchez is going to be practicing wrestling near you and it's just a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
I also think a big part of it is how important each individual fight is to a fighter who's fighting at the top level. You get around 2-4 fights a year, and if you start taking those fights when you have an fairly serious injury, then your entire career could be affected.

Football players get injured constantly, and they're notorious for playing through a lot of them, but they have a season of 16 games over 17 weeks. They need to get out there and play during that time, whereas a fighter can postpone a fight 8 weeks and come back healthy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RobBorer posted:

I also think a big part of it is how important each individual fight is to a fighter who's fighting at the top level. You get around 2-4 fights a year, and if you start taking those fights when you have an fairly serious injury, then your entire career could be affected.

Football players get injured constantly, and they're notorious for playing through a lot of them, but they have a season of 16 games over 17 weeks. They need to get out there and play during that time, whereas a fighter can postpone a fight 8 weeks and come back healthy.

Really any kind of training at any level if there's active sparring or grappling will lead to assorted bumps and bruises. What was said is correct though 2 a day sessions for a good period of time raises that likelihood so much more. It's just the nature of the beast.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
While there is a ton of sciency explanations for the prevalence of athlete injuries, the best way to think about any high level athlete is like an F-1 car. They are the fastest most powerful cars in existence but they are very finicky and and it is a constant challenge to keep them on the track because they have so much power and are driven so hard.

:iiaca:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
There was a really interesting article in ESPN magazine a few years back about a study that linked athletic potential to injury. I believe it was something with the tendons being different from an "average person". More power, but more prone to tears. It's been a while so I don't remember off hand and google is turning nothing up.

They stressed, however, that not all pro athletes had that gene and many seemed like fairly normal people, physically.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I probably have that rear end in a top hat gene.

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis
The Bills suck.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
What's the deal with Tim Sylvia? Was he ever a good fighter, or did other guys were just not used to his size or something like that?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

cisneros posted:

What's the deal with Tim Sylvia? Was he ever a good fighter, or did other guys were just not used to his size or something like that?

he was in good in the sense that heavyweight in the UFC was complete trash and he was just above 'bad' in his prime. His skillset was:

1) real big.

2) could throw straight punches. (often nothing else)

3) was at least somewhat familiar with sprawling

3) didn't gas completely after 2nd round. *this is the big one*

The hatred for him mostly comes from him lacking self confidence and ending up on the embarrassing end of numerous situations, combined with overcompensating for that by saying/doing stupid and annoying stuff. He's basically the most punchable 6ft 7 265lb combat sport champion ever.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

he was in good in the sense that heavyweight in the UFC was complete trash and he was just above 'bad' in his prime. His skillset was:

1) real big.

2) could throw straight punches. (often nothing else)

3) was at least somewhat familiar with sprawling

3) didn't gas completely after 2nd round. *this is the big one*

The hatred for him mostly comes from him lacking self confidence and ending up on the embarrassing end of numerous situations, combined with overcompensating for that by saying/doing stupid and annoying stuff. He's basically the most punchable 6ft 7 265lb combat sport champion ever.

He also wore a jock strap and a cup all the time in high school because he got in a lot of fights.
Source: Co-worker who went to HS with him.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

cisneros posted:

the talent level at heavyweight has been elevated over the past few years. Tim was a decent fighter but he was mismanaged and his mental game is a total mess. and now he's loaded with injuries and been KO'd almost as much as his old dance partner Arlovski. I don't think it's fair to attribute all his success to his size, because there were several very tall and big guys like Arlovski and Gan McGee, and Tim had more success in the cage than those guys did, though I don't think he was ever popular like Arlovski. And there had been other big fellas like Barnett, and guys like Pedro Rizzo, Tra Telligman, Paul Buentello, and Justin Eilers who were legit heavyweights. In general these guys were all probably bigger than the average fatass at that time which didn't hurt them but anyway I'm just triangulating around the point that while his size certainly helped, he brought something else cuz say supertall and strong Semy Schilt wasn't successful just based on that.

Tim was adept at exploiting his size with jabs and front kicks, which everyone HATED him for. Jabbing and front kicks are now en vogue but people would still hate him, cuz he was so obnoxious every time he opened his mouth and also ugly.

i was gonna actually write more about Tim Sylvia but anyway long story short the proper answer to your question is kind of yes and no. His size helped him but he was a fairly skilled fighter, and strategic. He won a lot of fights that he should have gotten destroyed in, particularly against Arlovski and jeff Monson.

typed this like way earlier and i forgot

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
On the other hand, I think he's gained a bit more sympathy now that we know he was bullied by Matt Hughes and is generally down on himself.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
On the other hand, he pooped himself during a fight.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Also fought Ray Mercer in Alabama with a gentlemen's agreement not to throw kicks, only to throw a kick and then get KO'd stone cold unconscious in 10 seconds.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCl4dQ5tS-Q

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
He's another prime example of fans going sour when a fighter fails to live up to their previous fights. Imagine if after Anderson beat Henderson, every fight looked like the Leites fight for the rest of his relevant career.

Sylvia was in some awesome fights up to winning the belt. He was actually entertaining. Then he got the belt and was terrified of losing it, so we got a lot of 5 round decisions where he jabbed his opponent to death.

The third Arlovski fight was the worst because both of them were so terrified that they basically refused to engage for the whole fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Interestingly Sylvia actually looked aggressive and pretty good when he fought Vera after losing the title; he was throwing standing elbows and poo poo.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yes Sylvia had a bit of a rep as a KO artist before his terrible title runs obliterated that.

I think they asked him and his logic was: well, everyone hates me, so if I lose the belt they'll bury me, so I have to make sure I stay champ no matter what. The sad thing is: that is why everyone hated him.

I think getting KOed by Andre made him a little gun shy too. Like everyone else said, his mental game was really lovely.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sylvia-Nog is still an awesome fight and an unfortunate foreshadowing of Nog's UFC career.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
That was pretty much a classic nog fight...got the poo poo kicked out of him and then pulled a sub out of his rear end

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sylvia got a bunch of knockdowns and Nog looked entirely beatable. Following the Herring fight, it really dismissed the idea that Nog had some invincible chin. Then in his next fight Mir KOed him. Then he was KOed by Cain.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

It's funny in hindsight just how quickly Sylvia became absolutely loathed. Like at the point when he won the title against Arlovski the only stinker fight he'd had in the UFC (pun intended) was the one against Assuerio Silva, and (I think) he was generally regarded as a pretty exciting fighter with a penchant for knocking guys out. It only took *two* bad fights (the 3rd AA one and then the one against Monson) for people to totally turn on him. Meanwhile GSP is still fairly popular even though he's on a four-fight streak now of grinding out fairly cautious decisions. I think it goes to show that a lot of the Sylvia backlash was due to his personality and probably physique as well.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Other Sylvia stuff for the uninformed:
-He went on an episode of Blind Date that was almost so depressing it wasn't funny to watch. By the end of it I felt pretty uncomfortable.
-The pooping his pants in a fight thing is actually real. Somewhere in the Assuerio Silva fight, he got hit in the gut and didn't brace himself right for it. Apparently, you're supposed to poop before a fight and he did not, thus resulted him in literally getting the poo poo beat out of him. Had he not been wearing boxers under his trunks, the world would have been exposed to Sylvia's literal lovely rear end because Silva was hellbent on depantsing him.
-He used to brag that he had sex while wearing the belt. He wasn't really direct about it, but definitely made a claim about doing "everything" in the belt. This disgusted a lot of people because Sylvia is gross looking.
-He started dating Arlovski's girlfriend after she broke up with Arlovski, which resulted in the classic, "How taste my peepee?" from Arlovski.
-He was stripped of the title after winning it initially because he was taking steroids, allegedly just because he looked like a dough roll of Pillsbury Cookies and not like a Spartan warrior.
-His stomach looks like Don Frye.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Haraksha posted:

Other Sylvia stuff for the uninformed:
-The pooping his pants in a fight thing is actually real. Somewhere in the Assuerio Silva fight, he got hit in the gut and didn't brace himself right for it. Apparently, you're supposed to poop before a fight and he did not, thus resulted him in literally getting the poo poo beat out of him. Had he not been wearing boxers under his trunks, the world would have been exposed to Sylvia's literal lovely rear end because Silva was hellbent on depantsing him.

He was also super super sick.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Related to pants making GBS threads: who was that dude that fought in the Strikeforce HW GP reserve fight that said he didnt wipe his rear end for 2 weeks before the fight? Would an athletic commission actually allow that to happen?

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

fawker posted:

Related to pants making GBS threads: who was that dude that fought in the Strikeforce HW GP reserve fight that said he didnt wipe his rear end for 2 weeks before the fight? Would an athletic commission actually allow that to happen?
Gian Vilante.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fawker posted:

Matt Lindland has fought many times.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Is there reliable source for non-UFC fighter pay info?

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Is there reliable source for non-UFC fighter pay info?

In the US, the athletic commissions are the ones who release the pay info. They do it for all sanctioned fights, it's just that the MMA Media only reports UFC and maybe Strikeforce/Bellator.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Fight organizations dont usually release that information. Athletic commissions are required to release that information, and that's generally how everyone learns about fighter salaries.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So what Boxing/MMA podcasts do you guys recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Forceholy posted:

So what Boxing/MMA podcasts do you guys recommend?

none.

No really, the best you can get is "good but tragically flawed because..."