Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ThePutty posted:

If you're Australian, Soundwave is looking pretty horrible, aside from a few bands here and there. You'd probably get more out of going to a club that plays metal.
Aside from Mastodon I'm genuinely surprised that all of the other top-ten bands are still playing shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thepitgoddess posted:

Symphony X/ Iced Earth/ Warbringer (really?) Tour:

What the hell, nothing around DC? I mean I just saw them in like July but come on.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

thepitgoddess posted:

Symphony X/ Iced Earth/ Warbringer (really?) Tour:

Jan
31 Hartford , CT Webster Theater
Feb
1 Phila , PA Trocadero
3 Sayreville , NJ Starland Ballroom
4 Quebec City , QC Albert Rousseau
5 Montreal , QC Metropolis
6 Toronto , ON Phoenix
9 Winnipeg , MB Garrick
10 Saskatoon , SK Louis Pub
11 Edmonton , AB Starlite Room
12 Calgary , AB Flames Central
14 Vancouver , BC Commodore Ballroom
15 Seattle , WA Showbox Market
16 Portland , OR Hawthorne Theater
17 Sf, CA Regency Ballroom
18 LA , CA Club Nokia
20 Las Vegas , NV House of Blues
21 Anaheim CA The Grove
22 San Diego , CA House of Blues
24 SLC , UT The Complex
25 Denver , CO The Summit Music Hall
26 Kansas City , MO Midland Theater
27 Dallas , TX Trees
28 Austin , TX Emos East
29 Houston , TX House of Blues
March
2 Ft Lauderdale , FL Revolution
3 Lake Buena Vista ,FL House of Blues
5 Raleigh , NC Lincoln Theater
6 Charlotte , NC The Filmore Charlotte
7 Columbus , OH Newport Music Hall
9 Worcester , MA The Palladium
10 NYC , NY Best Buy Theater
11 Clifton Park , NY Northern Lights

Oh my god they are coming to where I work

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

IRQ posted:

What the hell, nothing around DC? I mean I just saw them in like July but come on.

I second this. Looks like I'll see you in Philly.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet

ThePutty posted:

If you're Australian, Soundwave is looking pretty horrible, aside from a few bands here and there. You'd probably get more out of going to a club that plays metal.

I counted five bands that I'd be moderately interested in seeing. Guys, how non-metal am I?

The great M
Sep 10, 2010

The prince.

And then you.
Confirming that both the new Iced Earth and Astral Doors albums are fantastic. Good to see both of these bands catching themselves after some mediocre albums.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

ThePutty posted:

Machine Head, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Black Label Society (I guess..), Devin Townsend Project, Hatebreed, Gojira, Turisas. Not an amazing lineup by any means but I'd go see it, mainly for Lamb of God and Mastodon. Sounds like enough bands for a dedicated metal stage like last year, shame the headliners completely suck though. Turisas is good fun as well.

Edit: VVV I Feel loving ashamed to have missed that.

satsui no thankyou fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 1, 2011

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

GreenAcidRage posted:

Machine Head, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Black Label Society (I guess..), Devin Townsend Project, Hatebreed, Gojira, Turisas. Not an amazing lineup by any means but I'd go see it, mainly for Lamb of God and Mastodon. Sounds like enough bands for a dedicated metal stage like last year, shame the headliners completely suck though. Turisas is good fun as well.

Meshuggah :colbert:

edit: wasnt paying attention :smithicide:

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 2, 2011

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Turisas is a lot of fun. They may not make the most engaging music out there, but drat do they put on a good show.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

GreenAcidRage posted:

You're not excited to hear Cobra Starship perform the Snakes on a Plane song?

Yaku
Dec 7, 2010

The great M posted:

Confirming that both the new Iced Earth and Astral Doors albums are fantastic. Good to see both of these bands catching themselves after some mediocre albums.

Exactly what I came here to check for, thanks!

Unless you're horribly wrong. :saddowns:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

GreenAcidRage posted:

Is it really worth enduring poo poo like the Black Veil Brides, though? Really?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 22, 2016

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I did end up getting a good shot of me playing the part in my Gaahl costume at our work party. Wasn't even intentional.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

How often do people actually know what you're supposed to be in a Gaahl costume, out of curiosity?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
No one when I wore it to a bar on Saturday and no one yesterday at work.

The closest guesses I got were The Crow by two girls and another girl who said her brother watched Metalocalypse. The rest of the reactions were about it being scary looking. It fits in with the Halloween theme better than an obscure comic book character so I guess people just have better reactions.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah nobody at all recognized me. My friend went with me as King Diamond and got recognized once.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
That's why people [used to] wear their own band shirts.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Dear Korn,

Please stop.

Love,
Gorilla Radio.

Also, if loving Staind can throw together a guitar solo, there's no reason for any actual-metal band to not have them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm not a guy that needs solos for the sake of solos, since plenty of metal bands can make songs work without them. I think your real problem here is listening to Korn.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

hemophilia posted:

I'm not a guy that needs solos for the sake of solos, since plenty of metal bands can make songs work without them. I think your real problem here is listening to Korn.

And Staind.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Meshuggah :eng101:

This.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zodijackylite posted:

That's why people [used to] wear their own band shirts.

In a font the average person can't read.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

KingKapalone posted:

I did end up getting a good shot of me playing the part in my Gaahl costume at our work party. Wasn't even intentional.

Please tell me that you made prolonged eye contact with one of your coworkers and then uttered "Satan." after 2 or 3 minutes.

Also, I heard that Behemoth will be touring next spring. Can anyone confirm/deny?

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Vargatron posted:

Please tell me that you made prolonged eye contact with one of your coworkers and then uttered "Satan." after 2 or 3 minutes.

Also, I heard that Behemoth will be touring next spring. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I believe they are starting the US Tour on April 12th. Tour dates and bands should be announced within the next couple of weeks.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
The New Blotted Science EP, The Animation of Entomology, is pretty loving awesome.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

IRQ posted:

How often do people actually know what you're supposed to be in a Gaahl costume, out of curiosity?

When I've gone to bars for halloween, usually one or two people guess gaahl. Most of the guesses are at least "some black metal guy" which I'm usually happy enough with, at least they know where I was headed with it. Nobody knew me this year though but in all fairness there were maybe 15 people at the bar and most of them were the bands playing that night getting trashed before their set.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ThePutty posted:

I think you should have a Classic/NWOBHM Metal section in that list. Throw all the NWOBHM bands and Sabbath into that and you have a complete coverage, unless you're just recommending the more extreme varieties.

I could make a couple of recommendations, but I'm no expert whatsoever. My musical preferences are going back in time, from folk to death to thrash to NWOBHM. It's weird. Without further ado...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5L8RrphXRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=236Lquwq22A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6-vI70oc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpavSXoAPC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VNUyjRRjxM

Okay, that's a little more than a couple.

edit: Also I found this amusing.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 2, 2011

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

The great M posted:

Totally agree on the new Iced Earth. I was always a gigantic fan of Matt Barlow (probably my favorite metal singer ever) but Stu Block does a great job. So much better than Ripper Owens did there for a while.

For me this CD isn't quite as good as having Barlow back for The Crucible of Man but it's definitely good.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
So last year I posted in this thread about how MY BAND was recording an album. It took much longer than we anticipated, but now we're ready to share it with the world! Here are a few tracks to showcase our style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hynG9sFqZQo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmc17m2Z5w8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLUWBYd6AU

You can listen to the entire thing on youtube with this handy playlist. Feel free to leave comments/criticism on the videos or this thread. Physical CD release will likely be next month.

We contracted some pretty sweet artwork too,

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sounds pretty awesome!

That album cover owns bones.

VampireRobot
Apr 4, 2004
New Ghoul is awesome! So glad I found out about it, thanks to this thread.
I was a little disappointed on my first listen cause it doesn't sound as campy and fun as the previous albums, but it makes up for it by being a super heavy album with awesome riffs. Still has the characters and everyone showing up, so it's still no doubt a Ghoul album.
Now all I need is a new Frightmare album and I will be happy for a year.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Current Flattus Maximus, of Gwar was found dead today.

No idea what this means for the current tour. This is a bummer. I met these guys ages ago at a signing and they were hilarious.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/11/03/breaking-gwar-guitarist-cory-smoot-aka-flattus-maximus-found-dead/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Aw that sucks :( Sounds like Cory Smoot was the guitarist since about the "Violence Has Arrived" era, which is when I really got into GWAR.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I want to like Ghoul, but whenever I listen to them I just find myself wishing that I was listening to Frightmare.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Just finished listening to the latest Absu, it's just incredible. I can't think of a more furious band in all of metal really, or none more visionary, diverse and yet, simultaneously, single minded.

I loving love Absu.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Perfect Element posted:

visionary
single minded

I loving love Absu.

Does Proscriptor write the music or is he just the "front man"?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thepitgoddess posted:

Current Flattus Maximus, of Gwar was found dead today.

No idea what this means for the current tour. This is a bummer. I met these guys ages ago at a signing and they were hilarious.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/11/03/breaking-gwar-guitarist-cory-smoot-aka-flattus-maximus-found-dead/

This loving sucks :( Saw them last year when they came thru Winnipeg. He was pretty awesome live. There is a great video of him trashing some guys house for guitar lessons.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

QPZIL posted:

I'm fairly certain he writes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

QPZIL posted:

He writes the majority of the music and the lyrics. I think more recently though, the guitarists have had more input. This new album has way more interesting guitar parts.