Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I have joined the Darkmoon Blades covenant and have been invading people in Sen's Fortress and that is fun as poo poo. They can't really run anywhere and there's not many places to hide. Just killed a guy with a Fog Ring by casting Homing Soulmass and walking menacingly towards him until he fell off a bridge into the murk. I jumped after him like some sort of terminator and my soulmass finished his cowering rear end. Also, I'm wearing Havel's Ring and the Mask of the Father so my mage is like a crystal soul spear casting battlemech. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I have joined the Darkmoon Blades covenant and have been invading people in Sen's Fortress and that is fun as poo poo. They can't really run anywhere and there's not many places to hide. Just killed a guy with a Fog Ring by casting Homing Soulmass and walking menacingly towards him until he fell off a bridge into the murk. I jumped after him like some sort of terminator and my soulmass finished his cowering rear end. Also, I'm wearing Havel's Ring and the Mask of the Father so my mage is like a crystal soul spear casting battlemech. :black101:

I'm wearing the Mask of the Mother with Ornstein's armor, Catarina Legs, and no gauntlets. I look like a medieval Robocop with a perpetual frown and hands dipped in blood. It's awesome.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I wonder if they'll fix scalings, as in how they're chosen. Beyond just the power of them. Like, why does Grant scale better on dex than str?

Honestly, a lot of higher strength weapons are also poo poo. Higher dex weapons a) have lower dex requirements and b) don't weight a loving shitload.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Almost Smart posted:

I love being invaded in NG+. It's the only time PvP actually works in my favor. I figure if they're going to play dirty with the fog ring and backstab me through my shield, it's only fair that I get to be about 100 levels higher.

How is someone 100 levels less than you going to invade you?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Invasions don't have an upper level limit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
They also ignore NG/NG+ status.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cinroth posted:

It's a dumb rumor being stupid but it exists because From hasn't outright said "We are bringing 1.4 to Xbox".
Come to think of it, has the US Dark Souls site talked about the patch at all, or just the Japanese? Its obvious that the Japanese site only ever said one date for the patch, because there isn't a 360 version there at all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anyone know if there's ever more rubbish than what you find in the Burg, or is there just the one piece? I know the patch coming in is going to make life easier with twinklies, but I'm wondering if I could Snuggly glitch some chunks.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lotish posted:

Anyone know if there's ever more rubbish than what you find in the Burg, or is there just the one piece? I know the patch coming in is going to make life easier with twinklies, but I'm wondering if I could Snuggly glitch some chunks.
You can get it from assisting in the Forest, but I don't know of any other way of obtaining it. I have 3 Rubbish and 6 Pendants.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny how NG+ is crazy easy for the first 70% of the game and then just turns super brutal. I never knew those ghosts in the ruins were so dangerous.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Elysiume posted:

They also ignore NG/NG+ status.

Which is loving great. I've been going through the early stuff in human form on NG+ these past couple days, and I'm constantly getting invaded by low level fog ring shitlords who end up dying in a couple hits. Feels great.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also holy poo poo I had no idea about the short cut in Sen's Fortress. I think it's because when I first found them there were messages on the ground that said "Shortcut" and others next to them that said "Beware of hint." I took that to mean someone was trying to trick me into getting too close and falling into the hole.

Also, how do you safely get down to the titanite demons in Sen's?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Lotish posted:

You land on your feet instead of your face. The ladder leading back up to the entrance is a one-way path.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's such a kick in the nuts going into Duke's Archive. Everything in here deals monstrous damage.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lotish posted:

You can just jump down, and as long as you've at least put a few points into Vitality, you won't die. (Actually, I don't know if falling damage is percentage-based or a fixed value; I'm assuming it's a fixed value.)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lotish posted:

If you go past the lightning guy on the planks above rock-zone and walk through the cell, I think you can fall down to various beams. There's a fall at the end, but it's way shorter.

Alternate option: Fall Control.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Cuchulain posted:

It was actually against someone else in NG+(They had on Gwyn's crown) in Dark Anor Londo. They instagibbed the other blue phantom they were fighting and then backstabbed me for a pitiful fraction of my health. :shobon:

I mean, it's not a stat I would level past say, 30 or so. But it's not as totally worthless as people make it out to be.

But those 20 points could go into Endurance which would increase your weight capacity by 20. Which, relatively speaking, would let you wear better armor that would also increase your defenses and probably poise as well. And if you're not at the stamina cap Endurance would give you stamina on top of that. I think pound for pound Endurance is a better stat to invest in even past the stamina cap, unless you're somehow already wearing the best armor in the game and staying under 50% equip burden.

It's also possible the backstab was a lag stab. So it looked like a backstab but didn't actually register as one.

I really do want to like Resistance but I'm just not convinced it's any good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

One last question. I've gotten the Chaos Servant Covenant to rank 2 and have Chaos Storm, but the shortcut doesn't appear to have opened. Do I have to get the Lordvessel first and open Izalith normally before it'll open? If so, do I have to stay in the covenant until then in order for it to count? I was kind of hoping to sneak into the Gravelord covenant to snag the sword.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lotish posted:

One last question. I've gotten the Chaos Servant Covenant to rank 2 and have Chaos Storm, but the shortcut doesn't appear to have opened. Do I have to get the Lordvessel first and open Izalith normally before it'll open? If so, do I have to stay in the covenant until then in order for it to count? I was kind of hoping to sneak into the Gravelord covenant to snag the sword.
You need to stay in until you open it. Changing covenants (I think) drops you by a level. Once you open it, you can do whatever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Buggery. Thanks.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

enojy posted:

You can just jump down, and as long as you've at least put a few points into Vitality, you won't die. (Actually, I don't know if falling damage is percentage-based or a fixed value; I'm assuming it's a fixed value.)

I am fairly sure it is percentage based.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Video demonstrating some of the changes to pyromancy damage and Iron Flesh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A65nGsUV2Hw

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Christ I'm bad at fighting bosses. I have such a slow character - armor and healing spells don't help me out so much.

But at SL100 I can't find any help without getting invaded first.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Infinite Twinklings from giant, 8k per

edit: I hope xbox version gets splash screens removed when you exit game to menu. :|

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I have heard they nerfed the Antiquated [lower robe.] I AM FREE NOW.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

neetz posted:

Video demonstrating some of the changes to pyromancy damage and Iron Flesh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A65nGsUV2Hw

Well pyromancy still seems potent although noticeably weaker. Iron Flesh seems a lot worse, looks like they cut the damage resist in half. Not really sure why it needed a nerf anyways.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Grondoth posted:

I have heard they nerfed the Antiquated [lower robe.] I AM FREE NOW.

Of course they did, the thing had obviously glitched/incorrectly entered stats.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yea kinda strange considering it tanks your lightning resist already. Seems a little overboard, but it does cause stagger to anything that hits you still soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

sentrygun posted:

Of course they did, the thing had obviously glitched/incorrectly entered stats.

Yeah, I'm not surprised either. The stream I'm watching was upset at it, but I expected that.

Grant has an AoE attack on R2, like Wrath of God.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 2, 2011

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Goddamn. Is there some secret to cutting off Seath's tail? I was hacking on that thing the entire fight and couldn't cut it off. I eventually did so much damage trying to cut off his tail that he died.

Fairly easy fight, though. Just put on every curse resist item I had and went to town. Curse meter never went above 1/4 full.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You need to cut the actual tip not the base. That's usually most people's problem because it's not really like that for the other tails.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

waspinator posted:

Infinite Twinklings from giant,

YES!

waspinator posted:

8k per

gently caress :negative: I figured the price would be ridiculous. Oh well, at least I can grind out upgrades for more than one part of a single armor set.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I kind of regret investing in attunement now, because pyromancy seems pretty lovely. I don't know why I would use it over my normal weapon. At least flash sweat is probably still pretty okay?

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Grondoth posted:

Yeah, I'm not surprised either. The stream I'm watching was upset at it, but I expected that.

Grant has an AoE attack on R2, like Wrath of God.

It's always had this attack; My gimmick run as Leeroy taught me this! It's actually quite good, but removes 200 durability per use :(

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

waspinator posted:

It's always had this attack; My gimmick run as Leeroy taught me this! It's actually quite good, but removes 200 durability per use :(

Oh! That came as a surprise to the stream, so... I guess I thought it was new too. 200 is... harsh. Repair powder and repair can't take care of that forever.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Vargs posted:

I kind of regret investing in attunement now, because pyromancy seems pretty lovely. I don't know why I would use it over my normal weapon. At least flash sweat is probably still pretty okay?

Uhh... you have been upgrading your pyromancy flame right?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

Uhh... you have been upgrading your pyromancy flame right?

I'm talking about the changes in the new patch.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I just got a little OCD with my morning coffee, heres my patch observations on scaling and stuff.

1. You regained has been changed to 'Retrieval' but I kind of liked You Regained

2. I tested a bunch of weapons. This is after patch only.

My character has 32 Str 22 Dex 12 Faith, so we'd hopefully see some good benefits from that much strength, at least.

Dagger Holy +5 does 76 +11 and 92 +6, plus the mysterious 110 holy that seems to add no damage.
The total on paper should be around 185 without the holy, or 295 with. Scaling is E D C Str Dex Faith.
Actual damage:

vs Burg soldier = 57
vs Tree, level 1 = 36
vs basic Snake guy = 25 (kind of low..)

Longsword +5 is 120 + 71, scaling C C, 191 total and in one damage type.

vs Burg soldier =106 (strange that this is double the dagger, almost.)
vs Tree = 84
vs Snake = 31 (snakes must be slash resistant? this seemed really low.)

Large Club +10 does 240 + 182 now for a total of 422, one damage type, scaling A to strength only.

vs Burg = 316
vs Tree = 295
vs Snake = 196

For comparison here's the damage of a +4 lightning spear. I dont remember what the stats add up to but it didnt change and it was around 200-220 + 200-220 for around ~450

vs Burg = 373 (must be weak to lightning)
vs Tree = 231
vs Snake = 146

I tried to compare 3 different types so the results wouldn't be muddied too much by resistances. The break even point for strength beating elemental weapons after the patch seems to be somewhere below 32 strength, and that's only on a +10 club, not a +15 one. Granted, also only a +4 spear. I imagine damage might be pretty significantly better now for stronger characters. I cant really test Dex but it's probably still hurt by it's weapons not having a very high base damage- the club seems to do well because of it's 240 base. Holy weapons still seem really off- the dagger should have been doing more considering it's 185 only a little less than the longsword with one damage type and about 1/3 of the lightning spear with 2 types, yet it does about 1/6 of the damage. Does everything resist magic or does magic damage still blow?

I tried to do some PVP too but no one is online right now in Japan. I'll try to test the fog ring later.

Spiking fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 2, 2011

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Wasn't pyromancy already weaker than soul magic in 1.03?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

oneliquidninja posted:

But those 20 points could go into Endurance which would increase your weight capacity by 20. Which, relatively speaking, would let you wear better armor that would also increase your defenses and probably poise as well. And if you're not at the stamina cap Endurance would give you stamina on top of that. I think pound for pound Endurance is a better stat to invest in even past the stamina cap, unless you're somehow already wearing the best armor in the game and staying under 50% equip burden.

It's also possible the backstab was a lag stab. So it looked like a backstab but didn't actually register as one.

I really do want to like Resistance but I'm just not convinced it's any good.

Definitely a backstab, he caught me with it about twelve times before I finally killed him. :negative:

This character is at 40 Vit/End already. Resist gives a good amount of defense, I get to keep my speedy roll while wearing bits of the Black Iron set, and I have enough poise to ignore light attacks. I'm also just starting NG+x4 and only ever have difficulty in New Londo(because I am a big stupid who refuses to buy curses)

Mind you, if you're SL300 or something, Resist will look very lovely. Of courses, if you're SL300 and need defense from anything, you have problems that can't be fixed at the stat screen.

Try it out, it's nice.

I hope 360 gets the patch soon. I'm eager to play through again without Iron Flesh on a fresh run.

Did anyone else hit a point where they ditched "better" gear for style? I spent most of my first run wearing a mishmash of stuff before building myself the sexiest set I could that gave me a good amount of poise/speed. I look like a Death Metal Link now, it feels very appropriate for Dark Souls.

• Locked thread