Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'd go with Let the Right One In, The Descent. I really think of Shaun of the Dead as much more a comedy, it's really not scary so I can't include it in the list although I like it as much or more than any of the other films listed.

Let the Right One In has been on Netflix streaming forever, do watch it if you have that. I highly recommend it over "Let Me In". That movie is decent but is essentially a shot by shot remake in English and IMHO is not as good, if you are going to see both, please see the Swedish film first.

I did really like The Ring also but have only seen the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Drag Me to Hell?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zwabu posted:

Let the Right One In has been on Netflix streaming forever, do watch it if you have that. I highly recommend it over "Let Me In". That movie is decent but is essentially a shot by shot remake in English and IMHO is not as good, if you are going to see both, please see the Swedish film first.

It's not even close to a shot for shot remake. And yeah, I'd have Shaun of the Dead pretty high on the list.

So I just finished watching Triangle. Not a fan like you guys are though I certainly don't feel like I wasted time with it. But still, oh cool another purgatory movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

weekly font posted:

It's not even close to a shot for shot remake.

How? I've heard this before and I don't get it. I saw Let Me In in theaters and it seemed like a shot for shot remake of the original with none of the amazing atmosphere of the original.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How? I've heard this before and I don't get it. I saw Let Me In in theaters and it seemed like a shot for shot remake of the original with none of the amazing atmosphere of the original.

The story was altered, for example the storyline added with the cop in Let Me In. I like them both for different reasons. Great movies.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

They also changed the girl's motives quite a bit in subtle ways. She becomes a lot more evil in Let Me In.

PS: Thanks for the rec, cause even though Triangle was just eh, Slither loving ruled.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I guess I remember the minor differences between the two now. Let The Right One In is still the better of the two though, I think.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
Let Me In wasn't bad, but I had already watched that movie once before when it was called Let the Right One In. The only changes I didn't mind were the cat scene and scene with the kid's dad drinking with his friend.

E: Oh, and Ted the Caver is a movie now. http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/48400/afm-2011-first-details-and-sales-art-living-dark-story-ted-caver

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Shot-for-shot is usually a term used pretty literally.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Orunitier posted:

Let Me In wasn't bad, but I had already watched that movie once before when it was called Let the Right One In. The only changes I didn't mind were the cat scene and scene with the kid's dad drinking with his friend.

E: Oh, and Ted the Caver is a movie now. http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/48400/afm-2011-first-details-and-sales-art-living-dark-story-ted-caver

Was all that crap about their dead father in the original story or internet thing?

edit: also it'g going to draw a lot of comparisons to Descent.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 2, 2011

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Wow, I haven't thought about the good horror's of 2000's forward. REC is up there for me along with Slither. The Ring hosed my head up when I first saw it. I also enjoyed Feast enough to put it on my "list". I loved Tucker and Dale vs Evil, but I think I would have to watch it again to get a clear opinion on it. Does the Friday the 13th remake count? :shobon:

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

One of the things I enjoyed about Let Me In was the greater emphasis on the "Dad" character essentially becoming a serial killer to feed Abby which plays into the strong American mythos of the killer character such as wearing a mask, hiding in kids' cars etc.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

weekly font posted:

They also changed the girl's motives quite a bit in subtle ways. She becomes a lot more evil in Let Me In.

This is actually closer to how she is in the book.

To get a whole picture of this story, you kind of have to see both movies as well as reading the book. There's stuff in Let Me In that LTROI omitted and de-emphasized and vice versa, and there are parts of the book that are omitted from both films. That said, the book would be very difficult to adapt fully because they delve into the back story of nearly every single character.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is actually closer to how she is in the book.

To get a whole picture of this story, you kind of have to see both movies as well as reading the book. There's stuff in Let Me In that LTROI omitted and de-emphasized and vice versa, and there are parts of the book that are omitted from both films. That said, the book would be very difficult to adapt fully because they delve into the back story of nearly every single character.

Absolutely, which is why I was surprised that someone would say both films were identical when I would argue that LTROI strays significantly more from the source material.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/48389/sand-sharks-trailer-here-bring-joy-world

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

No way. Sand sharks? I cannot loving wait for this thing. loving sand sharks? gently caress.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
So its Tremors, but with sharks? And instead of Kevin Bacon, its Brooke Hogan.

Hm.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Technetium posted:

No way. Sand sharks? I cannot loving wait for this thing. loving sand sharks? gently caress.

DING DONG

Land shark!

So I'm a half hour into Last Exorcism and I'm loving this movie so far. Am I setting sail for disappointment?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Technetium posted:

gently caress.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

So I'm a half hour into Last Exorcism and I'm loving this movie so far. Am I setting sail for disappointment?

Not in the slightest.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

Was all that crap about their dead father in the original story or internet thing?

edit: also it'g going to draw a lot of comparisons to Descent.

In the original story there wasn't anything about the guy's father.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not in the slightest.

Yeah that was great. Jumps probably to my top ten of post-2K horror.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
My roommate has a collection of horror movies and he recommended this movie called One Missed Call. I've read reviews and it seems to be poo poo. What's the consensus in this thread?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

My roommate has a collection of horror movies and he recommended this movie called One Missed Call. I've read reviews and it seems to be poo poo. What's the consensus in this thread?

I remember seeing it years ago, and it was pretty boring. There's an American remake which I didn't see but apparently managed to be even worse. It had a pretty cool poster, though.

Here we go:

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 2, 2011

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I watched the American version only because they filmed some scenes in and around Georgia Tech campus. Those were the highlight of the movie.

Also the poster is pretty cool.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

One of the lamest hollywood horror movies to come out in ever. I guess watch it if you haven't seen the Ring, the Grudge, Pulse or any of the other j-horror remakes before because it just swipes everything from them.

Just like that retarded movie The Messengers.

edit: oh btw I watched that movie Lord of Illusions the other night for halloween and drat if it wasn't the same as every other Clive Barker movie in that "fuuuuuck this had so much potential but it's wasted on a low budget and bad actors" feel all the others have

it's not bad though, there's enough to it that it's worth a watch

Technetium fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 2, 2011

Cdishwalla
Dec 9, 2003
I'll Never Use it, REally!

Does the movie end with a 404 error too?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cdishwalla posted:

Does the movie end with a 404 error too?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a found footage film and ends with the visual equivalent of a 404.

I think I've asked this before but now that I know for a fact it's streaming and available to see, has anyone seen In Memorium?

weekly font fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 3, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
All right, I'll be sure to avoid that one. What about Vacancy?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

weekly font posted:

I think I've asked this before but now that I know for a fact it's streaming and available to see, has anyone seen In Memorium?

I've been wondering about this one too! Looks creepy as gently caress, but I haven't heard a word about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, looks like I'll be watching that.

DeseretRain
Oct 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

weekly font posted:

I looked back over that list from a few posts back, and I'm wondering - what are some of your favorite horror flicks from 2000 on?

Off the top of my head I think I'd say Lake Mungo, The Ring, Noroi, Let Me/The Right One In and The Descent. Kairo would probably be up there too.

Saw I-VI
The Ruins
Cabin Fever
[REC]
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
I Spit On Your Grave (remake)
Last House on the Left (remake)
Zombieland
Resident Evil 3: Extinction
28 Days Later
Storm Warning
Scream 4
Hostel 2
Teeth
Cloverfield

I know these aren't popular choices, but for me these have been the most enjoyable movies since 2000.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Twin Cinema posted:

So its Tremors, but with sharks? And instead of Kevin Bacon, its Brooke Hogan.

Hm.

It seems so wrong but feels so right.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

All right, I'll be sure to avoid that one. What about Vacancy?
It's quite good.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Technetium posted:

edit: oh btw I watched that movie Lord of Illusions the other night for halloween and drat if it wasn't the same as every other Clive Barker movie in that "fuuuuuck this had so much potential but it's wasted on a low budget and bad actors" feel all the others have

it's not bad though, there's enough to it that it's worth a watch

When I was 15, I had a birthday party where we all went to see that in the theatre because I was watching the Hellraiser series at the time and convinced everyone this was gonna be the best thing since ever. Needless to say I was apologizing to my friends until my next birthday. So basically gently caress you Lord Of Illusions for ruining my birthday.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

When I was 15, I had a birthday party where we all went to see that in the theatre because I was watching the Hellraiser series at the time and convinced everyone this was gonna be the best thing since ever. Needless to say I was apologizing to my friends until my next birthday. So basically gently caress you Lord Of Illusions for ruining my birthday.

Pff, you're crazy, Lord of Illusions rules. It even has Famke Janssen in see-thru shirts for the 15 year old contingent.

(that being said, if you saw it in theaters, you saw the lovely version so I apologize)

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Circusmacabre posted:

Anyone seen The Shrine, Storm Warning or The Devil's Chair? Any of them any good?

The Shrine just popped up on instant watch. I might check it out sometime this week.

edit: Reviews seem to indicate that the first half of the movie sucks but then it gets pretty great.

foodfight fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

(that being said, if you saw it in theaters, you saw the lovely version so I apologize)

Is the DVD version significantly different? I've never had even the slightest inkling to re-watch it but Netflix has allowed me to be not at all selective about what I watch lately.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

foodfight posted:

The Shrine just popped up on instant watch. I might check it out sometime this week.

edit: Reviews seem to indicate that the first half of the movie sucks but then it gets pretty great.

I watched the first 20 seconds of it and nearly died laughing. If it gets great, then I'll probably finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The script and characters are so bad. You kind of want them to die.