Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Starship sighting:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I thought I saw one right by Hartsfield-Jackson last week but didn't have a camera handy - it also could have been an Avanti, they have a similar planform.

Neat aircraft, I want to fly in one some day.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

LobsterboyX posted:

Starship sighting:

A primer for those who don't appreciate the significance of this.

Here's the money quote:

quote:

Raytheon has donated a few of them to museums, but as of last May, only four Starships remain in the hands of private owners.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iyaayas01 posted:

A primer for those who don't appreciate the significance of this.

Here's the money quote:

quote:

Raytheon has donated a few of them to museums, but as of last May, only four Starships remain in the hands of private owners.

Strange, the local story around the 6 Starships on the ramp at Marana (we autocross around them every month) was that they were parts planes for a Starship owner. If they are actually owned by Raytheon to be chopped up, they sure are being slow about it, as those 6 planes have been there for years without any noticeable change.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
according to my co-worker who takes many more smoke breaks than i do, this thing comes in to burbank airport every tuesday.

the sound of this is what got me to look, thank goodness i was able to get the camera out and snap this off before it went behind the buildings.

Im right in the flightpath and most of the time its just southwest 737's but on the rare occation, warbirds, strange transports and even oddities like this land.

if there are only a hand full of these left, according to wiki, none are registered in ca... what the hell?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Locator posted:

Strange, the local story around the 6 Starships on the ramp at Marana (we autocross around them every month) was that they were parts planes for a Starship owner. If they are actually owned by Raytheon to be chopped up, they sure are being slow about it, as those 6 planes have been there for years without any noticeable change.

Yeah, I did a little bit more googling, I guess there are only four in private hands that are still actively flying...there's apparently another one that is in private hands in flying condition but that rarely/never flies, and another 6-8ish that were purchased by the remaining private owners to be parted out, with the remainder being chopped up by Raytheon.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Captain Apollo posted:

Haven't been able to find a video of that airplane flying on youtube so far.
If you look at the website, there's a lot of static pictures of the planes. There are more of them completed than I've seen of lots of production aircraft. Perhaps it's a "people who do" thing. I don't have ANY pictures of my r/c planes in motion. But I'll be damned, I do fly them.

Or.. there's also no surviving video of my paintball gun doing 23bps. Back in 2004. When everyone said it couldn't be done.

The plane seems well designed. I like the alerion bellcrank. the pushrods all seem sane. Nothing about it screams "WTF." If you want a real head scratcher, check out the sky pup.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Locator posted:

If they are actually owned by Raytheon to be chopped up, they sure are being slow about it, as those 6 planes have been there for years without any noticeable change.

I'm pretty sure the Starships at Marana are being used for spares, since the aircraft that got scrapped were demolished at Pinal Air Park (about 20 miles north of Marana), and there was nothing left of those but chunks of composites.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Wikipedia has a pretty great pic of StarShipOne and NC-51 together.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How does the pilot of the SC White Knight have any forward visibility at all? I can't figure it out.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

LobsterboyX posted:

Starship sighting:

There's a very good chance I helped refinish this years ago.

Starships are the best.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How does the pilot of the SC White Knight have any forward visibility at all? I can't figure it out.

It's much smaller than the pictures make it look. Pilot has great visibility.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

slidebite posted:

High tech poo poo, more high tech poo poo, even more high tech poo poo, the same timer I've been using for like the last 10 years.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

slidebite posted:

is it just me or do the artificial horizon and the real horizon not jive?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

kmcormick9 posted:

Pretty sure the image outside has been shopped in.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Cygni posted:

Pretty sure the image outside has been shopped in.

What would be the point of that?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

ursa_minor posted:

What would be the point of that?

At a guess, because it is difficult to correctly expose interiors and exteriors without the use of multiple flashes.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
The glass panel is digitally added. The real one looks like a bad inkjet printout. Saw the image somewhere off of wikimedia.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What the gently caress is going on out the upper-left window? It looks like someone dumped out a giant bucket of airplanes.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

What the gently caress is going on out the upper-left window? It looks like someone dumped out a giant bucket of airplanes.

It's a grave yard.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

VikingSkull posted:

It's a grave yard.

Scaled operates out of Mojave, here is the google map. All kinds of fun stuff laying around in the desert.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mojav...irport&t=h&z=15

Some weird stuff in there. Right next to the Scaled hangar, there is a bright red Mig-21, and what I believe to be a Saab Lansen. Don't see one of those every day.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 4, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Out of interest what are these:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

dissss posted:

Out of interest what are these:

Douglas C-133 Cargomasters I think.

Wiki says:
Two C-133As have been in storage at Mojave Air and Space Port, California, since the 1970s 35°03′56″N 118°08′32″W . They are N201AR (ex-AF Ser. No. 56-2001) and N136AR (ex- AF Ser. No.54-0136). They are owned by Cargomaster Corporation, based at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, Alaska.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Slo-Tek posted:

Douglas C-133 Cargomasters I think.

Goddamn, been years since I've even seen one of those mentioned.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Anybody have any good guess what it is between the red Mig-21 and the Saab Lansen?

That fat swept wing looks a little like a Grumman Cougar, but not fat enough, and the wrong tail.

Also, a nice yellow AN-2 on that same lot.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm not sure, but here's a side view I managed to pull from the streetview. Crappy quality, but it's better than nothing.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm not sure, but here's a side view I managed to pull from the streetview. Crappy quality, but it's better than nothing.

Has an Advanced Jet Trainer feel about it, doesn't it.

Not a Folland Gnat, or a T-45 Goshawk. But seems like it has to be something close to those. Not an Alphajet either.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 4, 2011

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LobsterboyX posted:

Starship sighting:

I was a freshman in high school the first time I saw one of those things fly over. I thought I'd seen a UFO, or maybe a plane flying backwards. Wayyy back in Spring 2001.

kmcormick9 posted:

Hahaha every which way is down when you're flying that thing, apparently!

Ridge_Runner_5 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 4, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Slo-Tek posted:

Has an Advanced Jet Trainer feel about it, doesn't it.

Not a Folland Gnat, or a T-45 Goshawk. But seems like it has to be something close to those. Not an Alphajet either.

Yeah, there's definetly something familiar about it. While looking for it I did come across this.

The Sukhoi-Gulfstream S-21. Sexy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi-Gulfstream_S-21

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, there's definetly something familiar about it.

Not impossible that it is a second Saab Lansen, with something weird going on with the wings, or the paint, or the photo. There were, at least at one point, two on that airfield.

Which would explain the "this is so goddamn familiar" aspect pretty well.

Pretty sure it is. The paint was just throwing me off.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 4, 2011

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Slo-Tek posted:

Not impossible that it is a second Saab Lansen, with something weird going on with the wings, or the paint, or the photo. There were, at least at one point, two on that airfield.

Which would explain the "this is so goddamn familiar" aspect pretty well.

Pretty sure it is. The paint was just throwing me off.

It's definitely a Lansen. I was able to make out enough of the registration to Google it and confirm that N4432V is in fact a Lansen, last registered to the Airpower Museum in Fresno, California.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 4, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Slo-Tek posted:

Some weird stuff in there. Right next to the Scaled hangar, there is a bright red Mig-21, and what I believe to be a Saab Lansen. Don't see one of those every day.

Jumping on the second Lansen bandwagon, based on these pictures.

Also, if you look at the bunch of airliners off in the brush there are four A-3s in there as well as two F-100s and what I think is an A-26.

Here is another gallery with the C-133s, A-3s, F-100s, and Lansens.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, there's definetly something familiar about it. While looking for it I did come across this.

That is gorgeous, but the Sukhoi in the name makes me think it's a flying coffin...I guess it's safe, as long as it stays away from any airshows.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

I just noticed that is a trijet. Very cool.

There were actually plans afoot for a 3 engine A-5 Vigilante.

Would have been about as close to a Battlestar Galactica Viper as you could get with early 60's technology.

I don't care that the Vig was a terrible aircraft, it was about the zoomiest looking thing that ever took to the skies.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 4, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

That is gorgeous, but the Sukhoi in the name makes me think it's a flying coffin...I guess it's safe, as long as it stays away from any airshows.

sukhoi makes pretty good aircraft

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

I just noticed that is a trijet. Very cool.

There were actually plans afoot for a 3 engine A-5 Vigilante.

Would have been about as close to a Battlestar Galactica Viper as you could get with early 60's technology.

I don't care that the Vig was a terrible aircraft, it was about the zoomiest looking thing that ever took to the skies.
What was it about the Vigilante that was so terrible? I always thought a supersonic nuclear bomber that could be launched from a carrier was a pretty loving cool thing to have back then.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Sukhoi is also marketing a new narrow-body airliner, the Sukhoi SuperJet 100. A partenrship between SNECMA (the French half of CFM) and NPO Saturn are making the engines, and Boeing was brought in for consultation of the design. Really, the only parts of it being bult in Russia are the wings, the fuselage and the engines, practically every main system is made in either the EU or the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Superjet_100#List_of_companies

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Tsuru posted:

What was it about the Vigilante that was so terrible? I always thought a supersonic nuclear bomber that could be launched from a carrier was a pretty loving cool thing to have back then.

They were an enormous maintainance hog. Simply too goddamn big to fly off a carrier. They broke a lot. North American Aviation had to fly civilian tech reps around behind them to keep them in the air.

The linear bomb bay between the engines didn't work reliably as a bomb bay, and would occasionally fail during catapult launches, and deposit the payload (usually aux fuel, because it wasn't any use as a conventional bomber) all over the deck of the carrier.

The mission they were designed for was silly and completely duplicated, and they weren't terribly well suited to doing other things.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 4, 2011

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

And that is why they were refitted for recon until the TARPS pod was made for the F-14, because you want your recon planes to be as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tsuru posted:

once you develop ICBMs it has literally no practical use other than to burn gas and be cool or whatever