Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jetpack Postman posted:

More patch stuff:

Our WikiDot friends have been keeping track of some of the data mined patch changes.

So far we have this:

More to come, but so far it's looking pretty good. The changes to the Hollow Shield, Iron Flesh and the rest are a bit of a bummer, but higher scaling for weapons (ESPECIALLY uniques) and more are very welcome.

Good stuff. Naturally I'm sad about the Iron Flesh/Gold-Hemmed set/Crystal Ring Shield/Hollow Soldier Shield nerfs since I'm using some combination of those on all my characters, but the game is obviously better balanced on the whole now.

Definitely looking forward to doing some weapon testing as soon as the patch goes live state-side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Here's a site with some .txt files of armor/weapon changes. Not sure what some of the updates mean but regardless: http://mod.gib.me/darksouls/patches/1.03%20to%201.04/

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe they can make this loving Dragonslayer polearm useful instead of a piece of poo poo.
Basically make all the unique weapons good enough to justify their bizarre requirements. Especially Priscilla's scythe. I was so disappointed with that.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
Having completed Demon's Souls and now nearly Dark Souls I kind of feel compelled to go finish some of From's older and less forgiving titles. After I ran out of ideas for gimmick runs in Demon's Souls shortly after the US release, I played many old From games and even beat a few. Others were just too unforgiving, or in the case of the PS2 titles, PCSX2 had a few glitches that made them impossible. Am I incandescent enough to handle those now? Maybe.

Will have to find a modded PS2 for Shadow Tower: Abyss (released only in Japan), King's Field 4, and Eternal Ring. After many deals falling through I'll need to try, once again, to acquire the PSP KF games...

Finally, goddamn Sony for having the KF series on PSN in Japan but not in the US.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Jetpack Postman posted:

More patch stuff:

Our WikiDot friends have been keeping track of some of the data mined patch changes.

So far we have this:

More to come, but so far it's looking pretty good. The changes to the Hollow Shield, Iron Flesh and the rest are a bit of a bummer, but higher scaling for weapons (ESPECIALLY uniques) and more are very welcome.

A lot of these changes make me very sad. How the gently caress am I supposed to kill the Four Kings without Iron Flesh?!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Jetpack Postman posted:

More patch stuff:

So far we have this:

They nerfed the Elite Knight set? I thought it was only marginally better than the plain Knight set for higher weight.

I wonder how people will get through the Four Kings at low levels now that Iron Flesh, the Crystal Shield, and Pyromancy have all been nerfed.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

YorexTheMad posted:

Places where I've had success being summoned/seen other players to summon:

Gargoyles - First floor of the Chapel, near where the Fire Keeper's Soul / stairs to second floor are. There are three ways a player could be approaching this boss (elevator from Firelink, path from blacksmith, front door) but they'll all pass through this room and see your sign. Levels 1-15, maybe 20.

Capra - Right in front of his boss door. No one seems to bother dropping signs or summoning earlier in the stage for some reason. 10-20.

Moonlight Butterfly - Haven't been able to get a bite here in a while, but early on I had luck either outside the Crest of Astorias door and at the bottom of the Butterfly's tower, near the Witch Beatrice's sign. 10-20ish, I think. If you're a Mage or Pyro and you get summoned by a melee character you'll make them very happy.

Gaping Dragon - Either by the Depths bonfire or by the stairs leading to his boss door (where Solaire's sign is). Both are pretty frequent, but I prefer the bonfire as you can farm rats/goops to kill time while waiting on the summon to bite. 15-25, maybe 30. Surprisingly high number of souls for how easy he is.

Queelag - By the Blightown swamp bonfire. You can also get bites by her door, but the bonfire is usually a shorter wait. You can farm slugs if you want to kill time. 15-35. Also rewards high number of souls.

Iron Golem - Either the first room in Sen's or immediately before the boss door. If you drop at the entrance you're probably going to get someone who hasn't cleared the stage and unlocked the shortcut yet, but it's much more reliable than waiting on someone to get to the boss door.

Smough/Ornstein - In the bonfire room inside the Anor Londo castle proper. It's much more reliable than dropping at the boss door. 40-55 seems to be the sweet spot.

New Londo - Weirdly, I've had the best success either dropping at the very beginning of the stage, either in the plaza right near the door from Firelink/Valley of Drakes or down before the first bridge. Level range here is all kind of messed up, since you will have people plenty of people coming here with lower-than-expected characters in order to unlock a Covenant.

Duke's Archives - Bonfire on the first floor near the Crystal Caves entrance.

Tomb of the Giants - Either the last bonfire, or in the room before the boss door. If you choose the latter, you have the added bonus of being able to farm Humanity while waiting.

Lost Izalith - gently caress Lost Izalith.

I don't think I've ever gotten any bites in the Catacombs or the Forest Covenant/Sif area, but those seem to be hot PVP spots.

Quoting this for posterity.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

They nerfed the Elite Knight set? I thought it was only marginally better than the plain Knight set for higher weight.

I wonder how people will get through the Four Kings at low levels now that Iron Flesh, the Crystal Shield, and Pyromancy have all been nerfed.

Apparently normal Knight set got nerfed some too. So Elite is probably still better, maybe by more now.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Hey, Shiny Brass and Silver Knight got a lot better. Also looks like zero changes to Steel or Black Iron, unless I'm missing them. I think the idea is generally to improve those rarer sets, but... Elite Knight didn't need nerfing. :sigh:

Whatever, gently caress yes Shiny Brass :hist101:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Quoting this for posterity.

I killed Sif, then got summoned for him three times within about 15 minutes by putting my sign right in front of the boss door at level 30.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I'm worried about what will happen to my +5 hollow shield. Very worried indeed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

synertia posted:

I'm worried about what will happen to my +5 hollow shield. Very worried indeed.
...it will be slightly less awesome relative to other shields than it is now?

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Apparently there was a general nerfing of the stability in the medium shields, so now if you want to really tank stuff a great shield is a better option.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
So they nerfed Elite Knight set and Hollow Shield. The equipment I've been using and slowly upgrading through two playthroughs. Lame.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
A thing to note about the Knight/Elite Knight sets is that at least according to the guide, they don't have the minor penalty to stamina regen that most medium armors do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Graviija posted:

So they nerfed Elite Knight set and Hollow Shield. The equipment I've been using and slowly upgrading through two playthroughs. Lame.
It took you two playthroughs? I had both of those almost all the way upgraded before my first was done.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Schwartzcough posted:

They'll, uh, punch them and dodge their attacks like normal? I only used Combustion as a supplement to my Zweihander for heavy hits that fired off faster, but not only is Combustion not too terribly much weaker from what I've seen, but thanks to the scaling fixes people can probably find a faster firing weapon that still does good enough damage.

Seriously, I don't understand why everyone acts like the Four Kings are impossible without Iron Flesh or the Crystal Shield.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Hoping my +5 Silver Knight Shield remains around 80 stability. I have a feeling they want to keep 80 and up the purview of greatshields, though.

sentrygun posted:

Seriously, I don't understand why everyone acts like the Four Kings are impossible without Iron Flesh or the Crystal Shield.

I did it with Havel's and a big pile of drugs. On NG that's really all you need.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I pretty much can't disagree with a single thing in this patch. What a good developer.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So is Crystal Ring Shield worthless now?

There's no way I would have beaten Four Kings at 26 and 28 without Iron Flesh.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

sighnoceros posted:

Apparently normal Knight set got nerfed some too. So Elite is probably still better, maybe by more now.
It got slightly worse defensively but Knight kept its Poise, so it is now about 12 points better for Poise than Elite Knight in exchange for minor defense nerfs. It's more of a choice now, as neither set has a stamina regen penalty.

EDIT: The significant buffs/nerfs to armor by the way:

NERFED: Antiquated Skirt, Elite Knight, Leather and Hard Leather (slight defense loss and mass resistance loss), Gold-Hemmed.

BUFFED: Crystalline, Brass, and Silver Knight (go figure?), as well as Ornstein's Gauntlets.

Most of the armor was not touched.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 2, 2011

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

sentrygun posted:

They'll, uh, punch them and dodge their attacks like normal? I only used Combustion as a supplement to my Zweihander for heavy hits that fired off faster, but not only is Combustion not too terribly much weaker from what I've seen, but thanks to the scaling fixes people can probably find a faster firing weapon that still does good enough damage.

Well, I said "low level," as in the level 1 runs people have been doing- where you can't swing weapons like Zweihanders. Low level characters are extremely limited in what equipment they can use and how much damage they can take, so killing the kings extremely quickly before they can respawn will be challenging with limited damage output and no good way to tank damage at the same time.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

It took you two playthroughs? I had both of those almost all the way upgraded before my first was done.
Well, I guess the slow part was getting the chunks and the slabs. I was going to farm for chunks at the Kiln, but then I just kind of...forgot and killed Gwyn.

The point is, I like the look of Elite Knight + Hollow Shield, and it was also a solid spread. Now it's less so, and I'll actually have to try other armors and shields. What is this craziness?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Schwartzcough posted:

Well, I said "low level," as in the level 1 runs people have been doing- where you can't swing weapons like Zweihanders. Low level characters are extremely limited in what equipment they can use and how much damage they can take, so killing the kings extremely quickly before they can respawn will be challenging with limited damage output and no good way to tank damage at the same time.

I'm sure they'll find a way, and maybe it'll actually be impressive that they're pulling these runs off without using broken and overpowered equipment and spells. Right now every time I hear about people bragging that they beat the game at SL 1 I can pretty much assume they mean "I threw my nuclear bomb shield at every boss until it died faster than they could kill me".

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

sentrygun posted:

For real. I beat them on my second attempt two-handing a +5 Black Knight Sword and Havel's set.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

doomfunk posted:

Hoping my +5 Silver Knight Shield remains around 80 stability.

I think it's 76 or so, which is still really solid. It's my go to shield too, horrible drop rate or not.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Schwartzcough posted:

I killed Sif, then got summoned for him three times within about 15 minutes by putting my sign right in front of the boss door at level 30.

Also noted, thanks.

I like the patch a lot even though they nerfed Antiquated Skirt hardcore.

Also they nuked Hollow Soldier and I really liked that shield, however being able to use any 100% physical shield on a SL1 run at all seems so generous compared to what I put up with in Demon's Souls, so I can't really cry too much.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 2, 2011

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

sentrygun posted:

Man, even using Iron Flesh it took me all 10 Estus that I had. Is there even any way to avoid the purple fireballs and grab attacks?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
76ish is about as good as medium shields get now. You want 80+, you gotta have a greatshield, which is the way it was in Demon's Souls and I think the way it should be. Eagle Shield's even better than before now despite not changing at all! And of course, this makes the Greatshield of Artorias the king of Stability now that you can't just get a shield drop from an Undead Burg enemy that's only 3 Stability worse.

Also, there's a silver lining to these nerfs to the Pyromancy magic adjust. Power Within's health drain apparently is related to your hand's Magic Adjust and drained less health over time with a +0 Pyromancy Flame. Now that Pyromancy is even worse, Power Within won't hurt so much! I think the unmodified +0 didn't get any changes though, so it won't be better, but at least the drain will be lessened at all stages. And Power Within buffs your spell damage, so I guess there's that going for it. Not like you won't have a free slot once you get rid of Iron Skin.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Mons Hubris posted:

Man, even using Iron Flesh it took me all 10 Estus that I had. Is there even any way to avoid the purple fireballs and grab attacks?

Yes. Assuming you haven't weighed yourself down to past the fat roll, there's an entire button dedicated to avoiding those attacks and many more. The purple AoE effects take a good bit of range, but if you know when it's coming you can get out of the way in time.

Did everyone just give up on trying to dodge when they found out blocking is really good most of the time?

EDIT: I guess it might be helpful to mention that getting used to rolling while not locked on helps a lot.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 2, 2011

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Figures that shortly after I use a Titanite Slab to upgrade my Hollow Soldier's Shield to +15, they nerf it :saddowns:

And I'm SL60something, so grinding up strength from ~16 to use greatshields effectively is going to suck :saddowns:

It's a testament to this game that I'm still just shrugging and figuring I'll restart with a new build instead of continuing into NG+

That is, if the 360 ever gets the patch.

Steven
Sep 15, 2008
Well, I'm glad I made my sl 10 darkwraith before this patch hit!

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

sentrygun posted:

Yes. Assuming you haven't weighed yourself down to past the fat roll, there's an entire button dedicated to avoiding those attacks and many more. The purple AoE effects take a good bit of range, but if you know when it's coming you can get out of the way in time.

Did everyone just give up on trying to dodge when they found out blocking is really good most of the time?
You don't even have to dodge his grab attack, either. Just circle strafe the heck out of him(s).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also bear in mind heavy armor hasn't really been nerfed. If you wear Stone or Havel's or +5 Giant or +5 Black Iron a lot of those really nasty attacks aren't so bad and won't knock you down. If you flub a roll with good armor it will hurt, but not nearly so bad, and you often stay in your roll instead of getting knocked out of it.

So try dodging. As for offense... well, for the most part offense was buffed unless you're using Pyromancy, and I can tell you that I had no trouble beating Four Kings with a melee-only Knight character so you definitely can do enough damage to kill them. With scaling improved, I have to assume that Str/Dex builds will have an easier time of that too.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

sentrygun posted:

Considering I put on full Havel's and grossly exceeded my weight limit because everyone said to tank them, I know I did (for that fight at least).

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Have they announced a date for the 360 patch?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

sentrygun posted:

In my case - and I say this as someone who's played an ~artful dodger~ several times in Demon's Souls - yes. I had a rough time adjusting to the new endurance->dodge scaling and realised I had an easier time stacking poise and stability and just tanking through attacks. Oh no, it'll be slightly less easy for me to do this! The world is over.

Still, once I drop Gwyn on my beefeater I'm making a <25% backstabber and curved swordsman. Really looking forward to Four Kings on that guy. :smithicide:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Mons Hubris posted:

Considering I put on full Havel's and grossly exceeded my weight limit because everyone said to tank them, I know I did (for that fight at least).

It's a strategy, but if you're not powerful enough to just strongarm them like that then it's probably a good idea to go in with the usual <50% armor, if not <25% if you're feeling particularly dodgy and have a very stable shield.

doomfunk posted:

In my case - and I say this as someone who's played an ~artful dodger~ several times in Demon's Souls - yes. I had a rough time adjusting to the new endurance->dodge scaling and realised I had an easier time stacking poise and stability and just tanking through attacks. Oh no, it'll be slightly less easy for me to do this! The world is over.

Still, once I drop Gwyn on my beefeater I'm making a <25% backstabber and curved swordsman. Really looking forward to Four Kings on that guy. :smithicide:

I had the Golem Armor chest and maybe the Stone helmet or something and then really light junk on my arms and legs, Zweihander and Hollow Soldier Shield with a Pyromancy Hand in backup that I used for some combustions. The only things that hit me were a few stray shots I didn't block right and their purple magics a few times until I got used to them. I died on my first attempt because I went in not knowing what to expect at all, and I still survived until the last one when they landed a grab on me.

Then again, I also beat O&S on my first try without knowing what to expect, so maybe I'm the odd one out. v:shobon:v

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 2, 2011

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Any of the dataminers know what this means?
code:
Fire Longbow (1201800):
  reinforceTypeId: 800 &#8594; 9800
It's on the elemental bows (Lightning/Chaos/Fire) and not the Crossbows. Is this a fix to the problem where bows weren't dealing any elemental damage at all but crossbows were? I wanted a Fire Longbow with Fire Arrows to go with my Lightning Avelyn and Lightning Bolts, but the damage was abhorrent. If they actually fixed this I'll be very happy; a Fire Longbow would be good indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Schwartzcough posted:

Well... not to sound like a dick but I'm sure the designers intent wasn't for players to be able to beat the game at SL 1 without some sick skills. Four Kings is designed to be a near end game fight. I know a lot of people want to do it early so they can grief low level characters in Undead Burg but frankly, the less possible this is the better it is for the community as a whole.

• Locked thread