Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Love Like Blood posted:

My main problem with the recent development is the magic, potions and whatever just turning minecraft into being set in another generic nerdfantasy dungeons and dragons type thing.

I really have no desire to gently caress around with 20 eye of newt or whatever to get Stone Destruction +1 on my flaming sword from the netherdungeon of Gargamel. It's losing it's identity.

"I love this game that combines lego-esque construction, zombies, and hunting for hidden treasure, but flaming swords? That's nerd poo poo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I think the introduction of the Nether is where it really started to go downhill; it stopped being about man's struggle against nature in a hostile environment, and more about whatever fantasy stuff Notch felt like throwing at the wall.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I never thought of Minecraft as anything but a fantasy themed game. You say it is losing its identity but are you sure that it even had one to begin with? I think you are projecting an identity onto a game where people make pixel art of Mario, recreate the Starship Enterprise on a 1:1 scale, or make youtube videos of themselves griefing a Christian server.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Love Like Blood posted:

My main problem with the recent development is the magic, potions and whatever just turning minecraft into being set in another generic nerdfantasy dungeons and dragons type thing.

I really have no desire to gently caress around with 20 eye of newt or whatever to get Stone Destruction +1 on my flaming sword from the netherdungeon of Gargamel. It's losing it's identity.
Yeah, not like those skeletons, zombies, and giant spiders.

Other than creepers, Minecraft has always been pretty standard medieval fantasy fare.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If you don't like enchantments and things, surely just don't bother with them? It's not like Notch is making them into an unavoidable part of playing the game.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

blastron posted:

The torch/cobble method of marking caves is the best method. Always place torches along one side of the wall. If you hit a branch, place a torch in the middle of the floor along each branch. When you're done exploring a branch, remove the marking torch and put it on the wall. If there was something interesting down the way, dig out the block the torch was on, replace it with cobble, and put the torch back. Exception: If you're in a large cavern, place torches on the floor wherever you need, but make sure that any wall torches are consistent such that if you keep wall torches on your right, you'll get out eventually.

Don't have to carry extra materials around, and it promotes actually lighting up your mines.

I use a similar method. Only I dig a channel down the middle of my path and layer it back down in cobble/wood/etc. Wood is the main tunnel back to the surface, cobble is tunnel in progess, dirt is danger. I then use torches on that to mark directions(3 torches in a v is all you need). Any promising branch is walled off and torched until I explore them. I also have a tendency to smooth out tunnels for visual effect(Makes for a clean, organized, and industrialized tunnel network.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, not like those skeletons, zombies, and giant spiders.

Other than creepers, Minecraft has always been pretty standard medieval fantasy fare.

Pretty much.

Personally I'm loving the new additions. Having a reason to seek out the Nether is great, since those potions make exploring easier which is what I'm all about.

The existence of villages has actually spurred me to create above-ground structures for the first time ever, and gotten me away from being so goddamn OCD about my cave clearing.

The one thing I will say though is I really don't like the Ender Dragon. In concept it's awesome, the design is just so goddamn "generic fantasy dragon." Everything else has a quirky Minecrafty feel but the dragon just looks copy-pasted from something else.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Narciss posted:

I think the introduction of the Nether is where it really started to go downhill; it stopped being about man's struggle against nature in a hostile environment, and more about whatever fantasy stuff Notch felt like throwing at the wall.

Except if you check out Notch's tumblr from about.. I believe its two years ago (maybe someone can find it) he specifically lays out that where Minecraft is today with its "fantasy stuff" and it is more or less what hes got now (sans things like goblin invasions). Kind of wish Notch implemented more of the fantasy rpg game elements sooner or more gradually through the development cycle instead of all at once at the end. Been seeing a lot of these arguments of him "taking the game in the wrong direction" or "ruining the feel of minecraft" because of when hes implemented this.

But the biggest thing I don't get is that a LOT of the newer stuff is purely optional. Don't like the villages? Disable them when you generate a world. Don't like the difficulty of the mobs? Play on a lower setting. Don't care for potions and enchantments? gently caress, just don't build an enchantment table and don't collect the items for the potions. The game is literally not forcing you to do any of this stuff, if you want it to be a plain old building game, then just build.

That is what is so great about Minecraft, everything is so optional that you play to your style.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Mastiff posted:

I wish Notch had taken Minecraft in the direction I wanted it to go in, or had made modding easier by now so someone else could do it. This limbo the game's in right now makes it even more awful. I'm so loving depressed lately (not by this) and I don't even have a game to lose myself in now that Minecraft has become this weird half-game with an identity crisis.

Care to elaborate where you had expected it to go, and what exactly has changed about it that you can no longer enjoy it as you once did?

I'm personally not sure why people are complaining to such a degree. This has always been a sandbox type game with a focus on creativity, exploration, and, to a lesser extent, survival. In my opinion, none of the additions have really changed that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I still want the zombie survival mode he was promising before. I'd love it if that mode would actually just make it so all enemies spawned like crazy and went after you at night, getting more and more difficult each time it happened.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still want the zombie survival mode he was promising before. I'd love it if that mode would actually just make it so all enemies spawned like crazy and went after you at night, getting more and more difficult each time it happened.

OK, there must be a mod for that!

I can imagine every night a horde of zombies attacks your dwelling from sundown to sunup, and they burn away in the sunlight. Even make it so they attack constructions as if they had a pick, but very slowly, so you have to rebuild during the day. Meanwhile you have to find iron, coal, wood and food! No other mobs, just zombies - or make tickboxes to make it even harder - creeper suicide bombers and endermen block removers!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I always thought my own personal hell would be modding the creepers to have the climbing powers of the spiders.

Also, they detonate if their upward climbing is blocked.

Siege creepers would be horrible.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Enzer posted:

But the biggest thing I don't get is that a LOT of the newer stuff is purely optional. Don't like the villages? Disable them when you generate a world. Don't like the difficulty of the mobs? Play on a lower setting. Don't care for potions and enchantments? gently caress, just don't build an enchantment table and don't collect the items for the potions. The game is literally not forcing you to do any of this stuff, if you want it to be a plain old building game, then just build.

That is what is so great about Minecraft, everything is so optional that you play to your style.

Exactly. Don't like the Nether? Don't go there. It can take days (in game) to find enough diamonds to make a pick to mine obsidian to build a Nether gate. Why go to all that trouble if you just want to build stuff?

There are probably people who have been playing Minecraft for months and still don't even know the Nether exists.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Boat posted:

I always thought my own personal hell would be modding the creepers to have the climbing powers of the spiders.

Also, they detonate if their upward climbing is blocked.

Siege creepers would be horrible.

Mine would be if blazes could spawn in the regular world, and both skeletons and blazes could spawn anywhere while it was light out. I hate both of them more than creepers.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Enzer posted:

Except if you check out Notch's tumblr from about.. I believe its two years ago (maybe someone can find it) he specifically lays out that where Minecraft is today with its "fantasy stuff" and it is more or less what hes got now (sans things like goblin invasions). Kind of wish Notch implemented more of the fantasy rpg game elements sooner or more gradually through the development cycle instead of all at once at the end. Been seeing a lot of these arguments of him "taking the game in the wrong direction" or "ruining the feel of minecraft" because of when hes implemented this.

I do wish you could adjust the mobs. It'd love to be able to turn off Endermen and Creepers. What I'd REALLY love is a for real adventure map creator in Minecraft. Obviously I can do it fine using mods, but it'd be cool if Notch built in a map maker, notes, triggers to make things happen (like traps if you take something out of a chest you shouldn't) or things like that. Hopefully one day :allears:

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

glitchwraith posted:

Care to elaborate where you had expected it to go, and what exactly has changed about it that you can no longer enjoy it as you once did?

I'm personally not sure why people are complaining to such a degree. This has always been a sandbox type game with a focus on creativity, exploration, and, to a lesser extent, survival. In my opinion, none of the additions have really changed that.

There was a post several months ago that perfectly encapsulated what I wanted out of Minecraft. I wish I'd have saved it.

What I found so appealing about Minecraft initially was that it was two different 'games' with very appealing synergy: a spelunking simulator with action and danger & and a building, I dunno, thingie. There's some overlap between the two, but for the most part when you got sick of one 'game' you could switch (go back up to the surface) and play the other game with all the poo poo you collected. What's been added recently doesn't feel like it's strengthened or make that synergy any deeper.

Specifically what I'd like to see is different layers or regions underground that are distinct biomes (think Spelunky), new and more diverse patterns of caverns, bigger chambers, more minerals & veins. I want to be excited about going virtual caving again; it feels very routine now. (The ravines that have been added are a good step in the right direction.)

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

im a girl btw posted:

Exactly. Don't like the Nether? Don't go there. It can take days (in game) to find enough diamonds to make a pick to mine obsidian to build a Nether gate. Why go to all that trouble if you just want to build stuff?

There are probably people who have been playing Minecraft for months and still don't even know the Nether exists.

You don't even need diamond to go to the Nether, just a minimum of six iron.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Drox posted:

And either a ton of patience or a willingness to build it deep underground.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Drox posted:

3 even, if you put a 2x2 water pool next to where you're making your portal, and there's also a lava pool nearby. Above-ground lava pools aren't too difficult to find.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Mastiff posted:

There was a post several months ago that perfectly encapsulated what I wanted out of Minecraft. I wish I'd have saved it.

What I found so appealing about Minecraft initially was that it was two different 'games' with very appealing synergy: a spelunking simulator with action and danger & and a building, I dunno, thingie. There's some overlap between the two, but for the most part when you got sick of one 'game' you could switch (go back up to the surface) and play the other game with all the poo poo you collected. What's been added recently doesn't feel like it's strengthened or make that synergy any deeper.

Specifically what I'd like to see is different layers or regions underground that are distinct biomes (think Spelunky), new and more diverse patterns of caverns, bigger chambers, more minerals & veins. I want to be excited about going virtual caving again; it feels very routine now. (The ravines that have been added are a good step in the right direction.)

Ah, ok, I think I see your issue. You'd like new experiences for the cave diving portion of the game. I'll agree, Notch hasn't added much to that element beyond ravines, abandoned mines and, to a lesser degree, strongholds. I personally can't say if this is that big of a problem, since I still find cave diving to be one of the best parts of Minecraft. I do wonder if your maybe just a bit burnt out of Minecraft in general.

Not that new features and useful materials in the caves wouldn't be awesome. I wouldn't rule out Notch adding such things in an update sometime after the official release. Though, I must ask, would you feel any better if the Nether or End was eventually fleshed out as much as the underground portions, to the extent where expeditions to such areas could be just as interesting and useful as going into a new cave system?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mastiff posted:

I hope you don't mean that batshit crazy long rear end blog post from some sperglord. It was terrible.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

glitchwraith posted:

Though, I must ask, would you feel any better if the Nether or End was eventually fleshed out as much as the underground portions, to the extent where expeditions to such areas could be just as interesting and useful as going into a new cave system?

Possibly. I was excited about the Nether when it was first released. But I still have a special place in my heart for spelunking, specifically.

lordfrikk posted:

I hope you don't mean that batshit crazy long rear end blog post from some sperglord. It was terrible.

Doubt it. It was concise.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

I really like the way Eloraam is putting together the Redpower2 suite of mods. It really does feel the most organic of the Minecraft++ mods, insofar as extending the Minecraft experience with new materials, ores, craftables and so forth. But that's also why it's not complete, it's a gigantic undertaking.

Grelmo
Mar 30, 2011
I know these "check out my seed" posts annoy some people, but check out my seed. Spawns you next to a quaint little alpine oasis. If you dig straight down at 0,0 there are 7 diamonds nearby at the adminium layer. Several surface lava pools, lots of animals. Easy-to-stab squid in the shallow lake and a lot of clay.

SEED: 001100251981

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
They changed the worldgen algorithm between 1.8 and 1.9 didn't they? :(

I just hit the edge of the chunks generated before I switched to 1.9 and I'm already invested in this world. Bah, so ugly.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Boat posted:

They changed the worldgen algorithm between 1.8 and 1.9 didn't they? :(

I just hit the edge of the chunks generated before I switched to 1.9 and I'm already invested in this world. Bah, so ugly.

And I hear it's going to change yet again, as Notch has said there's still unimplemented stuff.

If there's one thing that frustrates me about Minecraft's development it's the lackadaisical progress on the worldgen. I know it's not super-fun work compared to invincible dragon building, but it'd make things so much easier for all concerned if we knew the worldgen was finalized and stable. I can understand it, I just don't like it.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I don't think it ever will be finalized. There's always creative new biomes (like the mushroom one) that can be added or changes to the code to create better terrain features. I'd actually be pretty disappointed if they just slapped a "finished!" label on the worldgen in general and never touched it again.

I just assume that every major release is gonna require new worldgen to get the most out of it unless you are REALLY economical on generating chunks in your existing world. Haven't been wrong yet.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 3, 2011

fork banger
Jan 3, 2001

If anyone's interested in a 2D Minecraft for iOS, here's a blatant ripoff that's likely to get pulled very soon: http://appshopper.com/games/crafted

Pretty drat fun for 99c, though the controls take a few minutes to get used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXOvQFwbSIQ

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is going to be a strange question, but it's inspired by Minecraft and someone here with game / computer resource development may have some idea:

We know Creepers were originally pig models that didn't come out right. But once I saw a picture of the faild pig model, I couldn't help but wonder how it's possible to say "I'm going to make a pig model" and wind up with something like that. I mean, if I made a pig model, it'd suck, but think it would still be a vaguely pig-shaped model.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

This is going to be a strange question, but it's inspired by Minecraft and someone here with game / computer resource development may have some idea:

We know Creepers were originally pig models that didn't come out right. But once I saw a picture of the faild pig model, I couldn't help but wonder how it's possible to say "I'm going to make a pig model" and wind up with something like that. I mean, if I made a pig model, it'd suck, but think it would still be a vaguely pig-shaped model.

It just looks like he put in the wrong (or possibly even just swapped the) dimensions for the length and height of the rectangular prism that is the pig's torso and, after looking at it, decided to use it for the creeper.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

fork banger posted:

If anyone's interested in a 2D Minecraft for iOS, here's a blatant ripoff that's likely to get pulled very soon: http://appshopper.com/games/crafted

Pretty drat fun for 99c, though the controls take a few minutes to get used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXOvQFwbSIQ
Hahaha I'm pretty sure I see Painterly textures in there. I see Painterly's Buckets and Lapis Lazuli.

Looks relatively nice but I'm kind of surprised at how blatantly the game ripped everything from Minecraft.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

PalmTreeFun posted:

3 even, if you put a 2x2 water pool next to where you're making your portal, and there's also a lava pool nearby. Above-ground lava pools aren't too difficult to find.

4. You need to set it on fire too... :engleft:

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

MisterBibs posted:

You might be under the impression that the models in the game are drawn out and then imported into minecraft. What actually happens in the code is each body part is defined as a set of numbers (height/width/length) as well as a few other parameters. Like Willie Trombone said, it looks like he had the height/width coordinates mixed up on the torso.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Willie Trombone posted:

It just looks like he put in the wrong (or possibly even just swapped the) dimensions for the length and height of the rectangular prism that is the pig's torso and, after looking at it, decided to use it for the creeper.

Yeah, don't forget that the pig probably wasn't created in a GUI or anything; Notch would've literally just been plugging in numbers. Mix up which ones go in which slot and bam, you've got your mutant pig.

EDIT: aaaaand beaten to hell.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I was vaguely thinking that it might have been done via numbers, but couldn't think of a way to put that into words, so I omitted it. Hell, it took me a few minutes to decide on calling it "done via numbers".

EDIT: Everyone has likely seen this, but I don't think I ever have: the very first video of what became Minecraft. "It will have more resource management and materials, if I ever get around to finishing it."

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 3, 2011

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, don't forget that the pig probably wasn't created in a GUI or anything; Notch would've literally just been plugging in numbers. Mix up which ones go in which slot and bam, you've got your mutant pig.

EDIT: aaaaand beaten to hell.

He probably got Y and Z coordinates confused, like a lot of us have.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Skanky Burns posted:

4. You need to set it on fire too... :engleft:
You can do this with a magma source block and a line of flammable material that passes through the portal (without a block actually in the portal). If the line catches fire then eventually it will burn the side of the block on the other side of the frame, which counts as setting fire to the obsidian.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

UnCO3 posted:

You can do this with a magma source block and a line of flammable material that passes through the portal (without a block actually in the portal). If the line catches fire then eventually it will burn the side of the block on the other side of the frame, which counts as setting fire to the obsidian.

Which is a lot easier and faster than finding one iron and flint. :science:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I doubt you'll ever find just 3 iron ore, then be that starved for the fourth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Well if you can find a deep enough lava pool and a water source close enough to redirect you don't need any iron. That should be a challenge - get to the nether without making a furnace/stealing iron from dungeons.