Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Pigeon Shamus posted:

It's getting expensive.

Welcome to the desert of the real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Raspberry Bang posted:

I don't know what to get! Any suggestions on blu-rays? I wanna know everyone's favorites or must haves.

I love that everybody has had different answers. Shows you how many great films there really are to choose from, but I suppose it doesn't really help you out either (unless you have lots of disposable income).

I'll echo the nods for Night of the Hunter, The Thin Red Line, and The Sweet Smell of Success. I'll also say for me that The Red Shoes, Hunger, Last Year At Marienbad, Kiss Me Deadly, and Days of Heaven are essentials and flat out gorgeous.

Going through my list of purchases during both the B&N sale and the amazon.com sale last week, i've got 15 films in total. Thank god for bartending on weekends!

I'm still on the fence with picking up the Nikkatsu Noir set. Is it a case where one film stands out above the rest? Or is the entire set worth watching and revisiting?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

friendo55 posted:

I'm still on the fence with picking up the Nikkatsu Noir set. Is it a case where one film stands out above the rest? Or is the entire set worth watching and revisiting?

Cruel Gun Story and A Colt Is My Passport are the best, but they're all pretty good.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Cruel Gun Story and A Colt Is My Passport are the best, but they're all pretty good.

I like I Am Waiting the most.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
If you don't buy the Louis Malle documentaries, you are a racist! And no one wants to be a racist.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
My first purchases of the sale:

Leon Morin, Priest (blu) - Watched this last night, absolutely fell in love with it. Instantly my favorite Belmondo performance, and my favorite Melville movie. It's probably not for everyone, but it really resonated with me. The visuals are sometimes incredible, but I wouldn't say you necessarily need to purchase this on Blu. This film is way more about the dialogue/acting than anything else.

Beauty and the Beast (blu) - One of the most beautiful movies ever, so I had to upgrade my DVD copy. Really looking forward to watching this again.

Leningrad Cowboys Eclipse Set - Huge Kaurismaki fan, adore his other Eclipse set, and I haven't seen any of this stuff yet. So I'm very excited. I just saw Le Havre, and that was amazing.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Leningrad Cowboys Meet Moses is a dud, but still mildly interesting. The rest of the stuff in the set, though, is awesome.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I ended up breaking down and getting five titles. I tried to mix films I love, with films I have wanted to see for a long time.

Night of the Hunter
Island of Lost Souls
The Great Dictator

I would have ordered Night of the Hunter last year, but I think it was the last one I cut from my list. However, the other two are recent releases, and both seem like things I would enjoy.

Pierrot La Fou
Videodrome

I only ordered the Godard because it's OOP. I loved the film, but it wasn't a "must buy" for me. I had a few other titles that will have to wait until the next sale (Diabolique, Beauty and the Beast, The Magician, blah blah blah). Also, Videodrome is amazing, and I can't wait to see it on Blu-Ray.

And this ends my post of how excited I am to get some great films. I am hoping I can hold off on ordering even more before the sale is over, but it's difficult.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Twin Cinema posted:

I only ordered the Godard because it's OOP. I loved the film, but it wasn't a "must buy" for me.

"loved" and "must buy" mean exactly the same thing to me. :saddowns:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

kaujot posted:

"loved" and "must buy" mean exactly the same thing to me. :saddowns:

Well, I guess I should have clarified. I loved the film, but I watched it over the summer, so I didn't feel the need to buy it right away because I probably won't watch it for another year. Plus, I loved other films, like Beauty & the Beast, but money gets in the way of me owning all the Criterion's I love. I blind buy them often because I know I'll watch them right away. For example, I bought the Seven Samurai on Blu-Ray last November, but still haven't gotten around to re-watching it, even though I would say it's one of my favourite films of all-time.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Do what I did last sale and take this time to get the box sets while they're cheap. I picked up The Complete Monterrey Pop, By Brakhage: An Anthology, and America Lost and Found: The BBS Story on blu ray.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Well, I guess I should have clarified. I loved the film, but I watched it over the summer, so I didn't feel the need to buy it right away because I probably won't watch it for another year. Plus, I loved other films, like Beauty & the Beast, but money gets in the way of me owning all the Criterion's I love. I blind buy them often because I know I'll watch them right away. For example, I bought the Seven Samurai on Blu-Ray last November, but still haven't gotten around to re-watching it, even though I would say it's one of my favourite films of all-time.

I watch Pierrot le Fou like, once a month :ohdear:

What's the deal with 'le Mepris'? If I were to snag it, should I get the Criterion dvd over the Studio Canal blu?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

penismightier posted:

I like I Am Waiting the most.

Thanks for the feedback. I've already spent enough money on this sale - what's another $40? A large part of me really wants to see these - especially being Noir-vember.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

friendo55 posted:

I've already spent enough money on this sale - what's another $40?

That's the spirit! :toot:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

friendo55 posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I've already spent enough money on this sale - what's another $40? A large part of me really wants to see these - especially being Noir-vember.

You won't regret it, it's a stellar collection.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

penismightier posted:

You won't regret it, it's a stellar collection.

Done and done. :)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I didn't want to splurge, but I did get a few titles...

Hunger
The Killing
Carlos

I was going to get Leningrad Cowboys, but I fought off the urge. I spent more on movies today than I planned to,

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Oh man... B&N just sent out a 20% off coupon to members, good until 11/6. Looks like I'll be buying more!

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I didn't get one. :saddowns:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

kaujot posted:

I didn't get one. :saddowns:

Check your spam folder, it's where mine wound up for some reason.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

"I'm only going to blind buy a couple blurays this time!"

Smiles of a Summer Night
Fanny & Alexander
The Magician
Something Wild
Broadcast News
Island of Lost Souls
Salo
The Killing

I'm weak Barnes and Noble, just take my credit card.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
What are some of the more lighthearted titles in the Criterion blu-ray stable? Just yesterday I picked up High and Low and The Magician (blind buys, each), but neither strikes me as particularly upbeat. Looking for something to balance those out.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jay Dub posted:

What are some of the more lighthearted titles in the Criterion blu-ray stable? Just yesterday I picked up High and Low and The Magician (blind buys, each), but neither strikes me as particularly upbeat. Looking for something to balance those out.

Charade
Smiles of a Summer Night
Beauty and the Beast
Bottle Rocket
For All Mankind
House
Playtime

And definitely not for everyone, but Zazie dans le metro is pretty goddamn upbeat and lighthearted.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jay Dub posted:

Chaplin's films, Modern Times and The Great Dictator, are obviously great comedies. I also really enjoyed Tati's Playtime, but not as much as the Chaplins. Broadcast News is written and directed by James L Brooks, but it's more of a Comedy/Drama. Still very lighthearted, but it has its sobering moments.

I'll second FitFortDanga's recommendation for Charade and House. Charade has great interplay between Hepburn and Grant, and House in particular is great to watch with others because it is so goddamn bizarre. Fairly certain you can make a slew of drinking games out of it.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Jay Dub posted:

Something Wild Something Wild Something Wild Something Wild Something Wild Buy Buy Buy

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I have two different non-member accounts with Barnes & Noble and they got the same coupon code, so I think it is non-exclusive. Use "E9A4D3D" until 11/6 for 15% off one item. I'll use the code to snag the Rebel Samurai - Sixties Swordplay Classics box set. I'd buy the Samurai Trilogy, except the dvd transfer is piss poor and in dire need of Criterion's breath of blu life.

I also took the plunge on just about every remaining Louis Malle film I have not seen, including the documentary set. My library has some Luis Bunuel, so no need to blind buy there. I am running out of directors to follow and need to pick up some new pet artistes.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

kaujot posted:

Something Wild Something Wild Something Wild Something Wild Something Wild Buy Buy Buy

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've got most of what's been mentioned, so I think my choices are going to come down to Beauty and the Beast or Something Wild.

Hell, probably both.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Picked up Darjeeling Limited with the extra BN coupon code. Thinking about My Life as a Dog.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
Order placed, NZ$200 down the drain. :ohdear:

Picked up the following -

Le Samourai
Secret Sunshine
The Human Condition
Paths of Glory & Paris, Texas (a friend got those and is paying me back, thank god)
The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (dad's birthday present - he's a big Le Carre fan)
Cronos (sister's Christmas present - she likes horror and Pan's Labyrinth so yeah)

With this plus the five or so films I had to order from China for my research paper, I am wiping out my money right now.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.
I just grabbed:

Solaris
M
My Dinner With Andre
High and Low
Paths of Glory
The John Cassavetes Collection
The Rules of the Game

I'm going to hit the shop again before the sale ends. Think I want Harakiri on blu ray at least.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

GrandpaPants posted:

Chaplin's films, Modern Times and The Great Dictator, are obviously great comedies. I also really enjoyed Tati's Playtime, but not as much as the Chaplins. Broadcast News is written and directed by James L Brooks, but it's more of a Comedy/Drama. Still very lighthearted, but it has its sobering moments.

I'll second FitFortDanga's recommendation for Charade and House. Charade has great interplay between Hepburn and Grant, and House in particular is great to watch with others because it is so goddamn bizarre. Fairly certain you can make a slew of drinking games out of it.

Seconding Chaplin's work. Modern Times in particular is full of hilarious little scenes like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS5ZQRd8yPM

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater

Jay Dub posted:

Might sound weird but get The Complete Monterey Pop.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Oh hey, $70 shipped for Three Colors and Fanny & Alexander on Blu. How many bonus points do I get from FFD?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
DVD:
The Royal Tennenbaums
The Bicycle Thieves
Blu:
Chungking Express
The Great Dictator
Amacord

All for under $90 :stare:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Film Forum announced their winter repertory calendar, including a Bresson retrospective in January. The individual titles aren't sorted by distributor, so it's unclear which are Rialto (courtesy StudioCanal) and which are Janus. The retrospective covers every feature Bresson directed except Une femme douce.

The series ends with a new Janus print of A Man Escaped, so that's an almost guaranteed Criterion. Other titles with new prints: Les anges du péché, L'argent, Four Nights of a Dreamer. No indication whether DVD rights for these are controlled by StudioCanal or Criterion. As for the rest: Au hasard Balthazar, Mouchette, Pickpocket, and Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne all have in-print Criterions, Diary of a Country Priest is probably the 60th Anniversary print that toured this past winter, but even if it's a Janus print it's an older one because Criterion lost the rights to StudioCanal. The Trial of Joan of Arc, Lancelot of the Lake, and The Devil Probably are also older prints, so there's no indication of forthcoming DVDs (from anybody). Those three (plus A Man Escaped, L'Argent, and Pickpocket) have Artificial Eye Region 2 DVDs, so maybe an Eclipse set will be forthcoming? Just spitballing here.

e: A Man Escaped is an almost definite mainline Criterion release. As for the others, I'm just guessing.

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 4, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

A Man Escaped is my favorite Bresson so definitely looking forward to that. I really like Une Femme Douce as well, too bad that one's missing.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

new prints: Les anges du péché, L'argent, Four Nights of a Dreamer.

I thought Four Nights of a Dreamer was one of those films in rights hell that would never get good distribution so this is fantastic to hear. It's a very good film. It also gives me hope for an eventual Une Femme Douce release.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Hoping to jump on the sale before its too late, but I'd like a recommendation. I'm torn between getting Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy and the box set called "Rebel Samurai," which includes Samurai Rebellion, Samurai Spy, Sword of the Beast, and Kill!. The latter is a bit more pricey, so if I get the former I can afford to get one other thing, but money is too tight to get both. Anybody have strong feelings one way or the other? At the moment I think I'm leaning towards Inagaki, but the other box is more eclectic, which makes me feel like that is somehow a better deal. I have seen none of these movies, but they are all on my to-do list and this sale seems like a good excuse to try some new stuff.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Lucasar posted:

Hoping to jump on the sale before its too late, but I'd like a recommendation. I'm torn between getting Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy and the box set called "Rebel Samurai," which includes Samurai Rebellion, Samurai Spy, Sword of the Beast, and Kill!. The latter is a bit more pricey, so if I get the former I can afford to get one other thing, but money is too tight to get both. Anybody have strong feelings one way or the other? At the moment I think I'm leaning towards Inagaki, but the other box is more eclectic, which makes me feel like that is somehow a better deal. I have seen none of these movies, but they are all on my to-do list and this sale seems like a good excuse to try some new stuff.

The Samurai Trilogy is long overdue for an upgrade. Get the Rebel Samurai set. Samurai Spy is kind of a dud, but the other films are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I really loved Les enfants terribles, and I'd like to pick up another Jean-Pierre Melville. The one's I'm most interested in are Le Samourai and Army of Shadows. Is there a clear winner here?