Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
For what it's worth you brighten my workday with Gunnerkrieg Court. If I am down Kat's bird boyfriend makes my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Thanks, guys. Really.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Brannock posted:

Bluehair is my new favorite character. :3:

We all agreed that her nickname is Wildberry Poptart.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does Tennis Jerk have to stick? I know I came up with it but it could be improved.
Wait. Tennis JONES.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tea-san posted:

Thanks, guys. Really.

Honestly you are ace. Also you should go to some sort of convention dealy (*cough* Thought Bubble *cough*) so I can make that clear in person.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Even your lack of income from it aside, the comic itself is a pretty amazing resume. I don't know what your day job is, but having an interesting and well drawn (by actual standards, not just webcomics) comic you can pretty easily point to a skill level. On top of that there is your absurd machine-like ability to follow an update schedule.

So if nothing else you've produced a pretty great basis to go after a job. Unlike most "successful" webcomics.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I have no idea if it's different in comics, or what Tom's specific situation is like, but in regular ol' publishing, most authors don't live on royalties, they live on advances. Not making money on each book bought is normal. That said, I'm glad you get money through Topatoco, I'll definitely be buying the books there.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
Tom, is there some place where you chat with us rabble? I'd love to be able to pick your brain about how you work with everything.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's kind of funny how right her friends are, and she won't even admit it. It's not even like she's lying to agree with them, she's lying to agree with them by disagreeing with them and playing it cool. Except they're so, so very right about the whole thing.

Also Tea-san: If you do decide to go with some sort of more extranationally accepted kickstarter thing, please do feel free to post it in here. I am pretty sure no one is at all opposed to you getting money to work on stuff like this.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zorak posted:

Also Tea-san: If you do decide to go with some sort of more extranationally accepted kickstarter thing, please do feel free to post it in here. I am pretty sure no one is at all opposed to you getting money to work on stuff like this.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Honestly you are ace. Also you should go to some sort of convention dealy (*cough* Thought Bubble *cough*) so I can make that clear in person.

He's on the exhibitor list! Uh, so that I don't sound like a stalker, I was going anyway.. I hope it's a good one, never been before!

With regards the money thing, it kinda looks like I'm seeing more from my mediocre D&D comic than Gunnerkrigg does, and that's a crime. Mostly every other webcomic artist I know that lives off their product self-publishes, surely there's some way of getting out of the contract you're in with your publisher, eventually?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Kojiro posted:

He's on the exhibitor list! Uh, so that I don't sound like a stalker, I was going anyway.. I hope it's a good one, never been before!

Ah! I couldn't find him on it before. I've lived in Manchester for about 5 years but this is the first year I'm actually crossing the pennines for it, and I'm definitely looking forward, I know some people who've been before and seem to really like it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Well if we can't get Tom a kickstarter account, the obvious solution is to get his boss to be a huge GC fan so that they'll tell Tom they can collect a paycheck without showing up for work.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Tom, if you find a sack of mixed international currencies hidden in your birdhouse one day - hypothetically - you should know that it was perfectly legally acquired. The bag with a dollar sign on it is purely an aesthetic choice and nothing to involve the police over.

I'd love to be able to go to Thought Bubble. It's in the middle of all my uni deadlines, though, and just a week after I'm flouting work to head down to London for a demo. If I could only find a way to justify it, I'd be there in heartbeat. I think the only hope would be to nip down for the Saturday and try to work on the train, but having never attended I have no idea if it would be worth it for only a day.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AfroSpatula posted:

Tom, is there some place where you chat with us rabble? I'd love to be able to pick your brain about how you work with everything.

I don't know if he does chat or anything like that but his Formspring account is very frequently updated with answers to various things:
http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think I'd mind too much either.

That can't be healthy for a relationship though.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Tollymain posted:

I don't think I'd mind too much either.

That can't be healthy for a relationship though.

He's a highschool dude who gets all the smooches from an upperclassman hottie. It is the perfect relationship.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Oh, Parley. You're supposed to be the older, more mature one. You don't even have the gender excuse. :allears:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tom you are corrupting the youth with this concept of smooching.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Smooched so hard that his shirt untucked itself.

Living the dream, Smitty. :allears:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I imagine if Smitty and Reynardine ever ended up alone together, they would spend the whole time high fiving each other.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Let the sloppy makeouts begincontinue!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Wildberry Poptart is the best unofficial name.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Somehow I've been shamefully ignorant of this great comic until just recently (the military history thread in A/T of all places brought me to it). Over the last few days I've read through the archives and now I'm here, waiting for it to continue with the rest of you goons.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that this is easily the best comic I've ever had the pleasure to read. The writing is absolutely equal to "proper" novels. The art is beautiful and really contributes to the storytelling. I love how weird and intriguing the world is yet it still stays relatable through the great characters.

I think I'll better stop gushing now. Keep up the great work, Tom!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I like to think they're constantly busting Renard's balls about that kind of thing. "Yeah, he always knows exactly what women are thinking! He'll never get tied down to just one lady like some kinda chump! No dame ever gets the upper hand over ol' Renarppffffffahahahahaahaha"

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Does that girl have braces?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zenzirouj posted:

I like to think they're constantly busting Renard's balls about that kind of thing. "Yeah, he always knows exactly what women are thinking! He'll never get tied down to just one lady like some kinda chump! No dame ever gets the upper hand over ol' Renarppffffffahahahahaahaha"

Well yeah. It doesn't help that Renard apparently thinks he's some kind of ladies expert. "yeah, I know what it's like with human ladies, being a trickster fox who fell in love with a lady like 20 years ago,"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Yeah, I totally got with a lady by possessing the body of the man she loved, killing his soul in the process' :shepface:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

SynthOrange posted:

'Yeah, I totally got with a lady by possessing the body of the man she loved, killing his soul in the process' :shepface:

Still better than the Pick-Up Artist.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SynthOrange posted:

To be fair, I think the body was just some random dude. He did totally kill his soul though.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

downforeveryoneorjustme.com posted:

It's not just you! http://www.gunnerkrigg.com looks down from here.

Well....poo poo.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Wa11y posted:

Well....poo poo.

The site seems to go down quite a lot, try again later and it will probably be fine.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Does anyone else imagine Renard's voice being different between when he's big and when he's a toy? He's all dignified and poo poo when he's big but he sounds like a toned-down Gilbert Gottfried when he's tiny.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Silentman0 posted:

Does anyone else imagine Renard's voice being different between when he's big and when he's a toy? He's all dignified and poo poo when he's big but he sounds like a toned-down Gilbert Gottfried when he's tiny.

Yeah, I've seen stuff like that before, so it's likely.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you ask me it's funnier if he keeps the dignified forest-spirit voice while riding around in a teenage girl's messenger bag as a stuffed kitty, but that's just my opinion v:v:v

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

His voice is definitely different in my head. More to the point, I feel like his diction changes between the forms: he always seems to have a much more mature tone in big-form.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Is the RSS feed not updating for anyone else?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

thousandcranes posted:

Is the RSS feed not updating for anyone else?

I use Google Reader and it's been delayed over a day recently. Usually the RSS picks it up a few hours after the actual comic goes up.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I'm not sure why an RSS is necessary, since the comic automatically updates at midnight PST...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fecha posted:

I'm not sure why an RSS is necessary, since the comic automatically updates at midnight PST...

'cos I have about fifteen webcomics in Google Reader so I don't have to bother remembering to check individual ones.