Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kaboobi posted:

Got some random new records over the last week, hooray for colored (CLEAR IS A COLOR OKAY) vinyl!

Good to see E6's Heartbeats and Brainwaves there. I had to order via Ebay for 50 bucks because there is no loving way that they'll have copies when they finally hit Belgium or Netherlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Ear-X-Tacy is closing shop. They've been in business for 26 years and supported My Morning Jacket and other local artists consistently through their time in the Louisville community.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 1, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

cheese eats mouse posted:

Ear-X-Tacy is closing shop. They've been in business for 26 years and supported My Morning Jacket and other local artists consistently through their time in the Louisville community.

That sucks so much :(
They were really helpful when I contacted them and they totally sent me a package to Europe at my request even though they didn't advertise that they did international shipping.

Sales that bad huh?

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Yeah this kind of stuff is happening everywhere. Plan 9, which has been operating for the past 30 years, filed for bankruptcy recently and I'm sure it's safe to assume that they will be closing up shop sometime in the near future.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That sucks so much :(
They were really helpful when I contacted them and they totally sent me a package to Europe at my request even though they didn't advertise that they did international shipping.

Sales that bad huh?

It was always empty whenever I went to pick up some super indie vinyl. They've been begging for business for 3 years or so.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

answersyouseek posted:

Yeah this kind of stuff is happening everywhere. Plan 9, which has been operating for the past 30 years, filed for bankruptcy recently and I'm sure it's safe to assume that they will be closing up shop sometime in the near future.

I remember when they came over to Roanoke and took over all the old Record Exchanges and then those all closed too. We have one (1) 50-person capacity used record consignment shop left.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Yeah that's exactly what caused the beginning of the end. They tried to expand way too fast and they got spread way too thin money wise and they've just been playing catch up since then. I mean they opened like 7 or 8 new stores around the state in 2007 and all of them were closed by 2009.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
The ones they opened here had really awful selections, and you can't build a good selection of used items when nobody brings anything in to begin with. The used section looked like a Goodwill box. This honestly just isn't the place for a store like that and someone should have warned them. Even the store I previously mentioned is struggling and only survives because she does semi-legal in-store shows on weekends.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

That sucks. Slowtrain in Salt Lake is closing down, but that's because the (young) owners are having a child and won't have the time to run it frugally anymore, and no one ponied up the 75 grand to buy it. Luckily Randy's Records, the biggest record store in the state, is still around after 30+ years and will hopefully keep on truckin' in the future. Last time I was in there it was pretty packed. I'm heading back today to get see what's wrong with my turntable. Hopefully lots of people again!

Here's what I've purchased recently:

Men At Work's Business As Usual, Radiation City's The Hands That Take You, Arcade Fire's Neon Bible, John Coltrane & Don Cherry's The Avant-Garde, St. Vincent's Strange Mercy, Sufjan Steven's Seven Swans...

...Chasing Kings' "Just Our Luck"/"Maybe It's the Distance" and of course, The Beatles' Abbey Road.

Most of these are new, but a few are used. I found out that a smoke shop right by my work has started selling used vinyl so I bought Business As Usual and Seven Swans there. Radiation City and Chasing Kings are two small touring bands that came through town last week and I've decided to try and buy vinyl from bands like that as often as possible to help support them (you know, if the bands are actually good). The Radiation City album is fantastic and I suggest you check them out of you're into layered indie music.

Working at a record/entertainment store that makes most of its profits from used CDs/DVDs/video games means that I get to bring in all my old stuff and get a shitload of store credit to get lots of new stuff at a 25% discount! I've traded my old self for vinyl!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I went back to the same Goodwill on a whim today. I didn't expect much since I bought the good stuff last week, but they had a large bunch of probably 200 new records. A lot of these I had never heard of but sometimes it's fun to spend $10 on ten records just based on the cover art/tracklisting.

Men At Work - Business as Usual ^heh
Men at Work - Two Hearts
Dickie Goodman - Mr. Jaws and Other Fables (A comedy album that I've been looking for for years. I used to think this was hilarious when I was a kid and my dad would play it for me, though I'm sure it won't be as funny as I remember)
Weird Al - In 3D
George Carlin - Occupation Foole
Joan Baez - self titled
After The Fire - ATF
Love and Rockets - Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven
The Vapors - New Clear Days
The Moody Blues - A Question of Balance
Steppenwolf - Early Steppenwolf (live album)
Mahogany Rush - Strange Universe
The Gymslips - Rocking with the Renees. - This is the best/oddest of the bunch. It's some british punk girl band from the 80s. Great condition with a weird lyrics insert. Don't know if it's worth anything because it's hard to find any that have sold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ7sBdpvm-Q

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I love the Dickie Goodman/Flying Saucer things but uh boy is it hard to listen to that whole album straight through

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Some recent loot:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Time to come forth from the woodwork-

This weekend's haul:

Bowie in Brecht's Baal is awesome (Theaterqueer ITT :gay:)

My recent prides and joys:

Rank and Hatful of Hollow are slightly warped, but I haven't noticed any appreciable sound effects (maybe I'm just saying that so I won't feel like I got ripped off. Don't care, I'm a Smiths-whore).

As for that new remastered box set: I'll probably pick up the CD/MP3 box sometime in the future. The idea of buying a vinyl copy of a 25 year old album that's been remastered on a computer- and to pay more than double for it than the equivalent FLAC- seems ridiculous to me. It's one thing to have an original copy (or spend a few dollars more on a recent release) but these "anniversary edition" reprint LPs are just an excuse to pay far out the rear end for the "privilege" of the "old" music being on vinyl. It's the same drat cut that goes into iTunes with the added appreciation that you bought a gimmick.

Murmur and Life's Rich Pageant are mint- aside from reaaally tiny cards that say they're radio station promo copies. :10bux: says they come from Yale :eng101:.

Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking are cool:

So is this b-side

I know this has been posted before....but look at it.

Colored Vinyl Ahoy (and other things):

I've also got blue/yellow Embryonic, blue-grey Silent Shout, and clear TKOL, but so does everyone else. I got Halcyon Digest today, and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was white. A P-Funk album and Supercollider/The Butcher are there too, but those aren't colorful (The green disc is Husband's Love Song/Slow Motion- sorry if it looked like it was the Parliament comp).

And my most recent sploosh/headache:

I saw this and snatched it up without really knowing what its deal was. I'm an absolute sucker for the Talking Heads and the price was good. As you can see, the corner's a bit hosed :( but the LP's fine.

When I got it home, I looked it up as best I could- and couldn't get a lot of info aside from it being a 2010 release with a limited run (apparently 250 colored copies and 500 numbered black ones?) and hand-screened cover.

The catch is, this one doesn't have any of the text on the back cover that comes with the numbered editions (Those say something like: "These recordings were made by the Talking Heads at CBS Studios in 1975....This is print number_____ of 500.") or a number. The cover and label are definitely handmade, and nothing's been able to tell me if they made a general (non-special edition) pressing as well (from the looks of it, this is just a limited run). Is my record less special or more? Have I got a bootleg of a bootleg?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 2, 2011

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Nice pick up on the Tiny Tim. Took me a while to find a copy that wasn't beat to poo poo down here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've been cleaning some old stuff with my new Disco-Antistat and I found out the hard way that the drying rack has zero tolerance for tipping. I had singles flying all over the place but I think none of them were damaged.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That TH thing owns dude, wicked find. Never heard of it either. Of course this means now my collection is incomplete, so also gently caress you, but still

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The Smiths reissues from Rhino are digital remasters? I thought they were all analog pressings.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The album that got me into The Mars Volta and my second favorite of theirs. I had to have it. Don't ask me how much this fucker cost me.

Too lazy to flip the picture. You guys know what it's suppose to look like anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

The Smiths reissues from Rhino are digital remasters? I thought they were all analog pressings.

Welp, I could always be very wrong...

But my point on commemorative reissues still stands- you're looking at a case where the audio quality's going to be identical to the MP3's without any of the portability or ease- and commemorative LPs almost never come with downloads. Many old LP tracks sound better-or at least different- than their MP3/CD counterparts because the masters have been lost/destroyed/degraded and they've had to make due with "find the best release copy and rip it"- and many of these rips were done in the early '80s with less than ideal equipment by today's standards (Anyone who's heard the old Beatles CDs knows how comparatively lovely some rips can be). There's something sort of "extra pretentious and fake" to me about getting a new print of old vinyl- especially if its source isn't going to be the same or as good as the original master.

I know this is totally :goonsay: though.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 2, 2011

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

big business sloth posted:

That TH thing owns dude, wicked find. Never heard of it either. Of course this means now my collection is incomplete, so also gently caress you, but still

You can find it on some independent web sites for $15 (how much it goes/went for originally) to $50+. Also, I've heard a lot of record stores still have some available so it never hurts to look. The one I picked mine up at had 2 or 3 around (in CT, but I won't say where. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and try to find out about my numberless one and pick up another/better copy so I can give one as a gift-or not :colbert:).

If anybody knows anything about this run (like why mine's numberless) I would love to hear it. I will literally die if I don't know.

But the contents of this comp are fantastic. There are free rips all over the net and they are definitely worth a listen, even if you can't get an LP. We're talking 'earliest recordings of the band'- back when they were a trio. Legend has it that David was still giving Tina last-minute bass lessons on the cab ride to the first session.

I've also got 'Fear of Music,' the original 'Stop Making Sense,' and 'Little creatures' LPs. TH '77, More Songs, and Remain In Light are my Moltres, Zapdos, and Articuno.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Oh was someone Talking about some Heads?

I picked up an old pressing of Belle & Sebastian's The Boy with the Arab Strap, the album that first got me into them all those years ago. And of course, The Talking Heads' last studio album, Naked, which features one of my all-time favorite songs, "(Nothing but} Flowers" which is in absolutely astounding condition.

I also just had to get the special pink/blue version of M83's new album. Sure, I had to go to Urban Outfitters for it, and yeah, I don't get my 25% discount, and OKAY it doesn't even come with a download code, but I don't care because it's just really beautifully put together. There's something very surreal about seeing that little girl's sad face spin around a pink disc.

So what's the thread's verdict on those clear plastic sleeves? I've got them on almost all of my records, and I was wondering if it's really worth the extra hassle or if the paper sleeve inside is plenty good enough.

Edit: Been reading more of the thread and looks like yes, I want as much protection as possible. How about those anti-static record sleeves? I'm looking into those now too.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 3, 2011

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If anybody knows anything about this run (like why mine's numberless) I would love to hear it. I will literally die if I don't know.

Simplest explanation? The "500 pressed" thing is probably bullshit, as is the case with a lot of boots. There may be 500 *numbered* copies but that's not the entire run. I mean, the unit price per LP @ 500 vs. per LP @ 1000+ isn't too much different and it's a boot (that's been existed in some form for a while) so it's not like the guy doing it has to pay unit royalties or keep track of any of that. Just looking around the net it's been widely distributed and is still readily available, so there's obviously more than 500 copies in circulation.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JehovahsWetness posted:

Simplest explanation? The "500 pressed" thing is probably bullshit, as is the case with a lot of boots. There may be 500 *numbered* copies but that's not the entire run. I mean, the unit price per LP @ 500 vs. per LP @ 1000+ isn't too much different and it's a boot (that's been existed in some form for a while) so it's not like the guy doing it has to pay unit royalties or keep track of any of that. Just looking around the net it's been widely distributed and is still readily available, so there's obviously more than 500 copies in circulation.

Makes plenty of sense to me. It also explains why nobody big had any info on the thing (It's apparently a "Fan Club" LP, but I doubt the TH have an official fan club at this point). As awesome as the recordings are (and they are awesome), I feel a bit bad about it being unofficial. While I'm sure David and company aren't at all hurting for cash or anything like that, a big part of why I really like vinyl is the idea that you're contributing more directly to the artist these days than with MP3s (not to mention the artists and artisans behind the actual LP-making process)- especially in the face of piracy. The Heads were never overwhelmingly popular in their run so that makes me feel it a bit more- in the same way I might be extra conscious of contributing to current bands with smaller followings or more independent business practices- and, thus, buy an LP from them.

I remember hearing once that part of Johnny Marr's motivation to remaster and re-release the Smiths catalogue was to chuck a bit of change Mike and Andy's way. Don't know how much of that's true, but they both got reamed in the assets trial (whether rightfully so or not) and Mike talked about being in a tough place financially a few years ago- apparently enough to have to Ebay off some one-off recordings he had.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Crossposted from the A/V Arena Vinyl Equipment Thread for everybody commenting on how to display their vinyl and suggesting sad-looking $20 frames:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40126069/

There are 2 sizes and various colors. Just pop one of these on the wall above your setup, with maybe a large picture or framed poster above it, and you're set in a way that looks much better than those cramped-looking LP frames and for less money. If you're worried about warping any LPs or bending any sleeves that you might lean up there for a long time, you could easily cut a rectangle or some squares of foam board/cardboard/laminate to put behind them.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
10$ for that... I think records leaned against the wall on a cheap ledge is uglier than cheap frames, but that's my opinion.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

10$ for that... I think records leaned against the wall on a cheap ledge is uglier than cheap frames, but that's my opinion.

Well, 15 for the really long ledge....and I think they do look nice when you put multiple ones together and stack stuff of different sizes on them.

I've got a few over my couch, but I like to change my artwork/pictures a lot without putting many holes up and I use the one I have above my hifi to put the covers for records I'm using at the moment/ show off different-sized stuff that wouldn't fit easily in a frame. But different strokes, I guess :shobon:.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Welp, I could always be very wrong...

But my point on commemorative reissues still stands- you're looking at a case where the audio quality's going to be identical to the MP3's without any of the portability or ease- and commemorative LPs almost never come with downloads. Many old LP tracks sound better-or at least different- than their MP3/CD counterparts because the masters have been lost/destroyed/degraded and they've had to make due with "find the best release copy and rip it"- and many of these rips were done in the early '80s with less than ideal equipment by today's standards (Anyone who's heard the old Beatles CDs knows how comparatively lovely some rips can be). There's something sort of "extra pretentious and fake" to me about getting a new print of old vinyl- especially if its source isn't going to be the same or as good as the original master.

I know this is totally :goonsay: though.

I've seen those Smiths reissues in stores and could have sworn they had the "remastered from the original analog tapes" sticker on them. And even then, some digitally sourced LPs sound better than their iTunes counterparts because they are mastered differently from the MP3. A good example of this is the difference in sound between the Them Crooked Vultures CD and LP.

MokBa posted:

Edit: Been reading more of the thread and looks like yes, I want as much protection as possible. How about those anti-static record sleeves? I'm looking into those now too.

Yes, buy them. Dust is your enemy.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 3, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Anyone familiar with the indie game 'Shatter'? It had a kickass electronic soundtrack and they're releasing the soundtrack on vinyl in a limited run of a 1000 signed and numbered copies on blue vinyl.

I'd be all over this but $35 without shipping? Don't think so.

You can listen to it on the link.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I've seen those Smiths reissues in stores and could have sworn they had the "remastered from the original analog tapes" sticker on them. And even then, some digitally sourced LPs sound better than their iTunes counterparts because they are mastered differently from the MP3. A good example of this is the difference in sound between the Them Crooked Vultures CD and LP.

Well, color me very wrong then :shobon:.

Dammit, now I'm interested in the vinyl set. But $160 vs. $70 on CD and $50 on iTunes.......vinyl is like a musical cookie for me, it's a "sometimes food."

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

cheese eats mouse posted:

The album that got me into The Mars Volta and my second favorite of theirs. I had to have it. Don't ask me how much this fucker cost me.

Too lazy to flip the picture. You guys know what it's suppose to look like anyway.

Aw drat. That's kick rear end. I look for TMV vinyl every time I go to any record store, and can't ever find them. *envy*

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Aw drat. That's kick rear end. I look for TMV vinyl every time I go to any record store, and can't ever find them. *envy*

Discogs. It was the cheapest price I had seen in a while.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Well, color me very wrong then :shobon:.

Dammit, now I'm interested in the vinyl set. But $160 vs. $70 on CD and $50 on iTunes.......vinyl is like a musical cookie for me, it's a "sometimes food."

I'm sure everyone here is sick of me pointing this out but they've already been selling those reissues individually for a few years. If you buy those, all the Smiths albums can be had for much less than what the box set costs. The box set is a money grab.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah, we have one of those Smiths box sets at our store for $250, and it serves as a very nice display next to our turntables, but literally the only person who has showed any interest in buying it is a middle aged customer with fine taste in music and way more money than sense. (But he is our no.1 guy and always brings us really cool vinyl to sell/give to members.)

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy

CPL593H posted:

Yes, buy them. Dust is your enemy.

Anyone have recommendations on a good sleeve to get? I saw some suggestions earlier in the thread, but can't seem to locate them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

mia2000 posted:

Anyone have recommendations on a good sleeve to get? I saw some suggestions earlier in the thread, but can't seem to locate them.

Mobile Fidelity Master Sleeves.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

big business sloth posted:

Ask your record store about it. I went back to the place I bought mine (Redscroll Records in CT) and picked another up for a friend. The guys there said they had a small shipment of them come in from the source in NY and could get a few more (They do some online stuff too, so if you email them, they might ship one to you).

When I asked them about the numbers (or lack thereof) they said, "Yeah. Well, we're not too clear on that either. We've heard that it's just supposed to be a run of 500....and we've also heard that that's bullshit. It might just be that a bunch of them didn't get numbered, or that the printers did some 'limited run, special run, regular run' crap and didn't tell anyone. The sleeve's definitely handprinted and it's nice vinyl. We're just chalking it up to 'loving Bootleggers being Bootleggers.":shobon:

It's a sweet recording, and I'm not really bummed about $14 either way, so I'm not gonna overthink it and just enjoy having it.

MokBa posted:

gently caress you for making me go to Urban loving Outfitters to buy an album I already had.......But yeah, it's pretty gorgeous so no regrets, I guess.

I also picked up the stone/tie-dye Metals, but at least that one was "only" 14 bucks and came with the download.

I have to stop reading this thread. You people and your neat finds are wallet poison.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 3, 2011

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

gently caress you for making me go to Urban loving Outfitters to buy an album I already had.......But yeah, it's pretty gorgeous so no regrets, I guess.

I also picked up the stone/tie-dye Metals, but at least that one was "only" 14 bucks and came with the download.

I have to stop reading this thread. You people and your neat finds are wallet poison.

Haha, sorry man. Isn't it oh-so-pretty though? :allears: I've already given it a couple spins in the <2 days I've owned it. Speaking of things, I saw that http://www.insound.com site that was posted a few pages back, and it is my new favorite. I came across these:

http://www.insound.com/EVOL-Pink-Vinyl-LP-Sonic-Youth/P/INS89691/
http://www.insound.com/Sister-Purple-Vinyl-Vinyl-LP-Sonic-Youth/P/INS89688/

Do they seriously still have copies of the Pink and Purple versions? If only 500 of each were made, you'd think they would have been long sold out by now. Either way I have to get E.V.O.L. because it's the version with the endless groove at the end of "Expressway to Yr. Skull" instead of the one that ends in "Bubblegum". My very first proper concert at age 15 was Sonic Youth and they ended the night with a long rendition of "Expressway" so it's very near and dear to me.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

MokBa posted:

Haha, sorry man. Isn't it oh-so-pretty though? :allears: I've already given it a couple spins in the <2 days I've owned it. Speaking of things, I saw that http://www.insound.com site that was posted a few pages back, and it is my new favorite. I came across these:

Do they seriously still have copies of the Pink and Purple versions? If only 500 of each were made, you'd think they would have been long sold out by now. Either way I have to get E.V.O.L. because it's the version with the endless groove at the end of "Expressway to Yr. Skull" instead of the one that ends in "Bubblegum". My very first proper concert at age 15 was Sonic Youth and they ended the night with a long rendition of "Expressway" so it's very near and dear to me.

If it's actually true there are only 500 of those (didn't we just discuss bullshit limited runs though) I'm glad I bought that on a whim at RSD like 2 years ago. My favorite SY album and the endless groove man...!

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

MokBa posted:

Last I checked we still had plenty of the colored copies in stock. I'll pack your order with love and caring :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

drat. Didn't realize that their poo poo was so pricey. I have the Tremulant EP sitting around here somewhere. Bought it when it came out for $6 :cool: