Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Digger-254 posted:

Paladin Torquemada cares not! Fittingly, I plan to use the sword I made from her sister's remains to put the entire household to the torch, including the one cowering out in the swamp.

I wish they had fleshed this Chaos family story out a lot more. And not just of the three sisters you meet, either. Personally, I was really disappointed when I finally got to the end of Lost Izalith and found myself fighting... a giant tree. And what demons did her sisters become, anyway? The giant dino asses? The giant eye-covered mouth cylinders with vacuum hose arms? There was a whole crowd of witches in the opening trailer, after all)

Ceaseless discharge definitely since s/he only attacks you when you grab the witch's outfit. I dunno about the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have been called many things but that's a first for me. And looking through fifteen thousand pages of 2ch threads trying to sort out what is real and what is nonsense is not my idea of a good time. In fact, when it comes down to it, I am playing Dark Souls because I want to be surprised, not because I want to spend hours looking through faqs to find the tiniest details about everything.

This faq may be the current best source of info about the patch, but I can't be sure. A lot of the new weapon stats haven't been written in yet.

Well I want to see how "surprised" I should expect to be, considering they are modifying objects/events I've already obtained/completed...

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
The Orange Charred Ring talks about him, actually. He's probably not mutated, but something like the Taurus and Capras, wholly created by the Bed.

The Bed, meanwhile, is a giant women, probably the Witch herself. Look at the "Tree" before it falls over, or the shape in the fire when it breaks free.

I think you meet five of them, maybe more if the Stray Demon/Big Pilgrim are witches. Firesage seems more likely to be one though.

The five definite ones are Queelag, Queelana the Pyrotrainer, Fair Lady, Psychoface von Firepillar in Izalith, and The Witch infested with evil woodmites as The Bed of Chaos

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 2, 2011

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
What's up with the witch outside of the Bed of Chaos, anyway? I thought Quelana was supposed to be the only Daughter of Chaos to escape but that witch looked pretty unscathed as well. She's not hollow-Quelana or anything, right? I though she sticked around after the Bed of Chaos.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
Hey cool, I'm getting my wish granted. Thanks for the info guys. :)

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Cuchulain posted:

The Orange Charred Ring talks about him, actually. He's probably not mutated, but something like the Taurus and Capras, wholly created by the Bed.

The Bed, meanwhile, is a giant women, probably the Witch herself. Look at the "Tree" before it falls over, or the shape in the fire when it breaks free.

I think you meet five of them, maybe more if the Stray Demon/Big Pilgrim are witches. Firesage seems more likely to be one though.

The five definite ones are Queelag, Queelana the Pyrotrainer, Fair Lady, Psychoface von Firepillar in Izalith, and The Witch infested with evil woodmites as The Bed of Chaos

You edited this! I was going to say that there's basically no way that the Stray Demon, Big Pilgrim, or Firesage are witches. There's nothing really posthuman about their appearance; they came that way, probably emerging from Izalith's attempts to create a new flame.

I think a lot of the egg guys may be former witches. Ceaseless Discharge is definitely the lava-spewing boy from the orange ring's description, but I don't think the robe he's guarding is his, I think it's a shrine he made to his mother.

Those five are definitely witches of Izalith, though.

Pigbuster posted:

What's up with the witch outside of the Bed of Chaos, anyway? I thought Quelana was supposed to be the only Daughter of Chaos to escape but that witch looked pretty unscathed as well. She's not hollow-Quelana or anything, right? I though she sticked around after the Bed of Chaos.

She's not, Quelana remains after you defeat the Bed of Chaos. The Futurepress guide refers to her as Quelana, though. I think what we can assume is, she's probably a witch who didn't escape, but did hollow.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
As going pure caster I have the age old question. What weapon should I look into investing with a Sorcerer? Moonlight horn spear?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Zain posted:

As going pure caster I have the age old question. What weapon should I look into investing with a Sorcerer? Moonlight horn spear?
Moonlight Greatsword is pretty awesome! I think. At least the energy blast is awesome. My sorcerer isn't even past O&S yet

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Spear if you've got a Greatshield, but nothing beats the cool factor of Moonlight Greatsword, Crystal Ring shield, and dual catalysts. Cast Great Magic Weapon, Great Magic Shield, turn invisible, and charge at people with homing soulmass. Once they run, then you start shooting lasers.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 2, 2011

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

You'll find a Crescent---

I'd personally go with an Enchanted weapon setup if you'll be pumping Int primarily. Moonlight greatsword looks pretty good on paper and I've seen some success stories in this thread. With scaling having been adjusted globally it or the horn spear might be worthwhile now.

But they probably won't compare to an Enchanted Claymore +5. :shepface:

e: I just want to point out, as someone who has and loves his +5 lightning zweihander, the claymore is so much faster than it it's insane. Its damage is nowhere near as meaty but it is still certainly meaty.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cuchulain posted:

The second one and the fourth one are one and the same.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

Only according to the guide. Additionally, why would she distinctly ask you to put her mother out of her misery, and then show up dual-wielding pyro flames to stop you? And then be waiting where she normally does to reward you for your effort?

I think the guide's wrong on this one.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

They are certainly not, unless she asked me to kill her Mother, had a change of heart, tried to kill me, was summarily murdered, got better, and decided to keep teaching me pyromancy without ever mentioning it again afterwards.

E;F:B. But still, that doesn't make any sense. It's more likely to me that the Gold Hemmed set is just what all of the witches wore when they were human-ish. The one that didn't visibly mutate is still wearing it. And Ceaseless Discharge is watching over his "mother's" corpse. Which you steal the clothing off of in front of him.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 3, 2011

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

doomfunk posted:

Only according to the guide. Additionally, why would she distinctly ask you to put her mother out of her misery, and then show up dual-wielding pyro flames to stop you? And then be waiting where she normally does to reward you for your effort?

I think the guide's wrong on this one.

I think the game itself is wrong to be honest. The whole thing doesn't make much sense so I assume it's an oversight

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cuchulain posted:

They are certainly not, unless she asked me to kill her Mother, had a change of heart, tried to kill me, was summarily murdered, got better, and decided to keep teaching me pyromancy without ever mentioning it again afterwards.
Imagine if she had brought it up! That would have been so awkward. The guy pyromancer knows when to let something drop. I think pyromancers in general are just very polite.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The drops are different too. One drops a catalyst, the other drops/gives you a pyromancy spell.

And if there's one thing Dark Souls has taught me, it's that you can tell who someone is based on what items they drop when you kill them.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Bland posted:

I think the game itself is wrong to be honest. The whole thing doesn't make much sense so I assume it's an oversight

Honestly, that being Queelana doesn't make any sense, given Queelana's dialog about how she tore rear end away from the city and never went back, and how she's terrified of going there, and how her cowardice is the only thing keeping her alive, etc...

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Roguelike posted:

The drops are different too. One drops a catalyst, the other drops/gives you a pyromancy spell.

And if there's one thing Dark Souls has taught me, it's that you can tell who someone is based on what items they drop when you kill them.

In real life we have things like ID, DNA and dental records, in Dark Souls we have whatever the glowing light that emanates from their corpse yields.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Zain posted:

At +5 with 50 int my moonlight great sword is doing +224 damage from my stat scaling (close to 425 total). This is prepatch. Not sure if that scaling will go up or not.

It also uses the exact same weak attacks as the claymore (wide swing and overhand smash depending on if it's one or two-handed). The strong attacks are replaced with a distance slash for one handed and a long charge up aoe distance attack for the two-handed.

It's a pretty fun weapon. Basically imagine if you had a claymore that did all magic damage and shot lasers. In PvP the one handed weak stun locks low poise characters no problem. I've repeatedly caught people in that stun lock and did close to 1k damage before my stamina was gone. Kinda reminds me of old school demon's souls stun locks.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I always thought the pyromancer in lost izaleth was Salaman

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Salaman went crazy and died in parts unknown way before the events of the game. There is also no hint that he ever knew Lost Izalith existed. I always figured Quelana went traveling for awhile, as in multiple kingdoms around the world Dark Souls takes place in not just Lordran, spreading pyromancy before going back to Blighttown

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Based on the locations of the bodies holding their gear, half of the NPC phantoms in this game died trying to beat the bosses of their respective stages.

Not Tarkus, though. He beat the Iron Golem and made it to AL, but fell to his death while trying to cross the rafters in full heavy-iron armor.

has the daaawn ever seen your eyessss

Zodar fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 3, 2011

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

stephelopholus posted:

Dark Souls Shipping Numbers according from IGN.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1211380p1.html

Interesting that numbers are split in North America and Europe. Didn't really expect that.

Haha first post there is this...

quote:

Why is IGN riding Dark Souls so much? Its a interesting game yeah, but thats not a reason to act like its the best game ever made and your life is NOTHING without it. Im going to play Skyrim to protest.

Pigbuster posted:

It seems the hollow witch outside the Bed of Chaos was originally suppose to end up being a hollowed Quelana, but they just messed it up, Lost Izaith being what it is, it wouldn't surprise me.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

At +5 with 50 int my moonlight great sword is doing +224 damage from my stat scaling (close to 425 total). This is prepatch. Not sure if that scaling will go up or not.

It's has S scaling now! Pretty cool. I gave the sword a go after someone here recommended it a while ago (may have been you, actually) and found it to be much more useful than I expected. The shock of so much damage going through their shield throws a lot of people off in my experience.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Zodar posted:

Based on the locations of the bodies holding their gear, half of the NPC phantoms in this game died trying to beat the bosses of their respective stages.

Not Tarkus, though. He beat the Iron Golem and made it to AL, but fell to his death while trying to cross the rafters in full heavy-iron armor.

has the daaawn ever seen your eyessss

Given how he's slumped in the corner, I think he made it down, tried to make a run for the Painted World and one of two thing happened. Either he couldn't get into the painting was was killed by the Guardians, or he Did make it in, died, and his body was thrown out.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Haha first post there is this...

quote:

Why is IGN riding Dark Souls so much? Its a interesting game yeah, but thats not a reason to act like its the best game ever made and your life is NOTHING without it. Im going to play Skyrim to protest.

I love the IGN comments. I open the reviews and just skip to the comments.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is there a consensus on what the best regular shield is post patch? I have a +5 kite tower shield but was about to upgrade a hollow shield which I guess is now totally nerfed. anything else I should be focusing on that's better for PVE?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Eagle shield is probably your best bet, if you don't care about parrying. If you do, then silver knight shield.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Thank you guys so much for the info. I think I'll do a build to get the Moonlight horn cause that does sound like a lot of fun.

Are bleed weapons only for PvP? There's very little if at all use for them in the normal game it seems.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I wonder if you can still get invaded at level 5 in the Burg as a Gravelord. I want to get Chameleon. :(

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MMD3 posted:

is there a consensus on what the best regular shield is post patch? I have a +5 kite tower shield but was about to upgrade a hollow shield which I guess is now totally nerfed. anything else I should be focusing on that's better for PVE?
What do you mean by regular shield? As in not a greatshield, or not a weird, niche shield like Bloodshield or Crystal Ring Shield?

Zain posted:

Are bleed weapons only for PvP? There's very little if at all use for them in the normal game it seems.
I've only used the iaito, Lifehunt scythe, and greatscythe to any significant degree, but bleed does work on enemies. I've never seen bleed proc on bosses (admittedly I've only done iaito on Quelaag, which is statistically worthless), but when I was using my iaito against the fatties in Blighttown, the bleed proc would finish them off for me.

Bleed is nice because you see 120/240/360/650.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

Digger-254 posted:

Also, it looks like Divine weapons still pretty much completely blow outside of those two brief areas of the game, at which time they upgrade to "convenient, if possible." Sorry, clerics. :(

Occult weapons scale with faith and do extra damage to basically every enemy in Anor Londo and Kiln. Divine weapons serve no good purpose aside from permakilling the medium skeletons before you kill their necromancers.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I've only used the iaito, Lifehunt scythe, and greatscythe to any significant degree, but bleed does work on enemies. I've never seen bleed proc on bosses (admittedly I've only done iaito on Quelaag, which is statistically worthless), but when I was using my iaito against the fatties in Blighttown, the bleed proc would finish them off for me.

Bleed is nice because you see 120/240/360/650.

This. Bleeds are actually great in PvE, but mostly on really fast weapons - something like the Flamberge is almost worthless, while a curved sword or dagger (with those quick strokes) will rack up bleed% pretty quickly and punch for a lot.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Oh IGN... :allears:

I will play both Skyrim and Dark Souls. Why?

Because one is an open ended fantasy role playing experience and one is a videogame.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Elysiume posted:

What do you mean by regular shield? As in not a greatshield, or not a weird, niche shield like Bloodshield or Crystal Ring Shield?

sorry, I meant shields defined as Standard in the wiki:
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Shields#Standard Shields

I guess I'll track down the Eagle Shield or hope for a black knight or silver knight shield.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

doomfunk posted:

This. Bleeds are actually great in PvE, but mostly on really fast weapons - something like the Flamberge is almost worthless, while a curved sword or dagger (with those quick strokes) will rack up bleed% pretty quickly and punch for a lot.
Also, Priscilla's Dagger has the most fly strong attack animation in the world. So fly I want to rush a character there just so I can use it (I hosed up on my dex character and my str character isn't pumping dex for it).

I really, really wish assisting was more reliable. I'd love the gently caress out of getting low level characters buff as poo poo so I can help people on Gargoyles, Capra, what have you. It sucks that it's far easier to invade. I don't want to be the shitbag motherfucker who's invading scrubs! I just want to help! :(

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

FisheyStix posted:

Oh IGN... :allears:

I will play both Skyrim and Dark Souls. Why?

Because one is an open ended fantasy role playing experience and one is a videogame.

I never understood the competition bred between the two, they have absolutely nothing in common outside of a basic aesthetic and that both use shoulder buttons for different hands.

I'm planning on starting a Magic using character as soon as the patch drops, what's a good early game setup I can use to make the game bearable? The goal is building up to the Moonlight Spear and then the Greatsword of Astorias.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Speaking of invading, does the trident buff nearby enemies when you're a red phantom? I was thinking of getting that plus the channeler set on a low level character and hanging out with the other channeler in the parish church, buffing hollows and tossing soul arrows. With the fattest character model. Hopefully the buff is just as good if you don't meet the weapon requirements as well, because gently caress if I'll have 24 int and a mess of str and dex by that level.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

RADmadness posted:

Occult weapons scale with faith and do extra damage to basically every enemy in Anor Londo and Kiln. Divine weapons serve no good purpose aside from permakilling the medium skeletons before you kill their necromancers.

Don't Occult weapons also perma-kill skeletons? I remember bashing in a few skulls with the Occult Club you can find in areas with respawning skeletons and not seeing them get back up.

Also according to the damage calculator, despite the different scaling between Enchanted/Occult weapons and even Magic/Divine weapons, the damage gap becomes pretty small at high stats (only around 10-20 attack power total, assuming you have around 20 Str, 20 Dex and 40 Mag/Faith; compare that to normal weapons where the discrepancy is roughly 70-90 points) so no matter your build, you're doing roughly the same damage with those weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

I never understood the competition bred between the two, they have absolutely nothing in common outside of a basic aesthetic and that both use shoulder buttons for different hands.

I'm planning on starting a Magic using character as soon as the patch drops, what's a good early game setup I can use to make the game bearable? The goal is building up to the Moonlight Spear and then the Greatsword of Astorias.
Someone suggest it and I can't remember who, but I went with the Estoc and it's worked fairly well. You can also grab the Tin Banishment Catalyst really early on if you take the master key, and it's actually a really strong weapon that early on. You can't do parries, backstabs, plunging attacks, kicks, roll attacks, or jump attacks with it, though.

• Locked thread