Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Digger-254 posted:

Or that they held something back for a month to offer for free DLC to try to cut down on the resale market losses. Those first 30 days tend to be far and away the majority of sales your game is going to make.

I agree that charging for it would be dick, though.

But it's a moot point anyway. (Which, btw, makes me a little concerned about a 360 patch. Just a little, though.)
That's actually a pretty good response for why they won't release DLC. You gotta admit, Dark Souls is a loving MASSIVE game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

I never understood the competition bred between the two, they have absolutely nothing in common outside of a basic aesthetic and that both use shoulder buttons for different hands.

I'm planning on starting a Magic using character as soon as the patch drops, what's a good early game setup I can use to make the game bearable? The goal is building up to the Moonlight Spear and then the Greatsword of Astorias.

Are you going to be a dual magic character though? The Greatsword is going to be really bad unless you focus on leveling both faith and intelligence equally, while also meeting the rather steep investment in strength and dex.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I actually read that as Moonlight Greatsword, to be honest. I just assumed that's what he was talking about. Whoops! At least it didn't affect my response.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Jetpack Postman posted:

Don't Occult weapons also perma-kill skeletons?

They do not.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Elysiume posted:

Someone suggest it and I can't remember who, but I went with the Estoc and it's worked fairly well. You can also grab the Tin Banishment Catalyst really early on if you take the master key, and it's actually a really strong weapon that early on. You can't do parries, backstabs, plunging attacks, kicks, roll attacks, or jump attacks with it, though.

Yeah Estoc and the Red Mage's robe you find with the Catalyst were pretty much my plan from the get go so this works fine. A friend also suggested on starting with the Wanderer and just purchasing soul arrow from the smith in New Londo so I'd have some decent physical damage early on.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Are you going to be a dual magic character though? The Greatsword is going to be really bad unless you focus on leveling both faith and intelligence equally, while also meeting the rather steep investment in strength and dex.

Was really more hoping for focusing more on physical/magic (but not pyromancy, already done that once before). But I keep waffling back and forth...

Elysiume posted:

I actually read that as Moonlight Greatsword, to be honest. I just assumed that's what he was talking about. Whoops! At least it didn't affect my response.

That's a better suggestion. I think I'll do that instead!

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

I never understood the competition bred between the two, they have absolutely nothing in common outside of a basic aesthetic and that both use shoulder buttons for different hands.

I'm planning on starting a Magic using character as soon as the patch drops, what's a good early game setup I can use to make the game bearable? The goal is building up to the Moonlight Spear and then the Greatsword of Astorias.

31 Int will get you five orbs out of the soul mass spells. That will pretty much make the game a cake walk.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Yeah Estoc and the Red Mage's robe you find with the Catalyst were pretty much my plan from the get go so this works fine. A friend also suggested on starting with the Wanderer and just purchasing soul arrow from the smith in New Londo so I'd have some decent physical damage early on.

Was really mor ehoping for focusing more on physical/magic (but not pyromancy, already done that once before). But I keep waffling back and forth...
You can actually free Griggs really early on, and I think he has Soul Arrow for a bunch cheaper. Kill Taurus, get to the Parish, grab the basement key, head back to bridge, go down, carefully take those dogs and thieves out, free Griggs.

Honestly, every sorcerer should grab the Sealer's robes, Tin Banishment Catalyst, and Dragon Crest Shield before they even start the game proper. A solid 100% shield that is great against the Gargoyles, good early game armor, and an awesome catalyst and weapon.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The True Greatsword of Artorias is good weapon but really requires a specific build to shine. If I were you I'd really think about it before committing points to any one thing.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

This evening I have been the Frontin' Dragon in darkroot forest. I put down my white phantom sign in there and help people out against invaders with my dragon form powers and the 'come at me bro' emote. Me and one guy teamed up for like an hour and took out about 30 invaders before we eventually got killed (by a mushroom man). If you're out there Zuech32646, I would've rejoined you but it said join failed every time you tried to summon me again.

The dragon roar is hilarious for PvP and people never expect you to parry their poo poo with your bare hands. Or roar them to a cliff edge and punch them off it with a leaping doublepunch. Mostly though I just helped the other dude get kills by roaring peoples blocks away or sneaking round and backstabbing. One dude who summoned me had a bunch of blue phantoms on him and I got all of them with one toxic cloud.

KingOHearts
Jan 19, 2009

Vargs posted:

Speaking of invading, does the trident buff nearby enemies when you're a red phantom? I was thinking of getting that plus the channeler set on a low level character and hanging out with the other channeler in the parish church, buffing hollows and tossing soul arrows. With the fattest character model. Hopefully the buff is just as good if you don't meet the weapon requirements as well, because gently caress if I'll have 24 int and a mess of str and dex by that level.

I've seen a video on youtube where a red phantom uses the trident in the crystal caves to buff one of the crystal golems so it seems that it does work on hollows when you are a red phantom.

From my own experimentation with other weapons that give R2 effects however you need to have the stats required for the weapon to use the effect (only tried with the stone great sword thing).

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hahahaha gently caress this poo poo, I died to the titanite demon after I killed the ninth bug in Lost Izalith without realizing that the sunlight maggot dropped. Can't find the drop anywhere and I've died a couple times since then. Am I completely screwed or can I still get the motherfucker?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yea its probably gone.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

For the dragon covenant, what sort of stats/build work best?

I'm guessing strength, but I honestly have no idea.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Depends on what stats increase the damage of your firebreath/body aura. Which I honestly don't know!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Volitaire posted:

Yea its probably gone.

gently caress. Oh well, guess I'll go save Dusk

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Depends on what stats increase the damage of your firebreath/body aura. Which I honestly don't know!

The fire breath's damage scales with your rank in the covenant. The body aura doesn't do damage and is always effective despite your rank.

BigLeafyTree posted:

If you're planning on using the dragon body form like all the time then Resistance might actually be decent. Otherwise it really doesn't matter.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I just made a new char so here's a quick, spoiler-y list of stuff to grab (not recommended for your first playthrough)

First, don't collect souls/humanity before doing this, you might die while getting this stuff.

Once you get to the Firelink Shrine go down to New Londo and grab the Fire Keeper's Soul. (Take a right at the first ghost and go into the archway, there's a small water-covered path you can walk on to grab the Soul.) There's also an Estoc on the way.

With the master key, open the door to Valley of the Drakes from New Londo. Go into Blighttown, climb down to grab the Crimson Set (it's a couple ladders down and across a tree branch). There's some moss in a chest near the water wheel so you can cross the swamp and go to the Hollow for the Cloranthy Ring.

I suppose if you really want to, you could go to Darkroot and get some more stuff there, although getting around the drakes would probably be hard.

Back in the Valley of the Drakes, grab the Red Tearstone Ring, then Astora's Straight Sword and the Dragon Crest Shield from the Undead Dragon.

In the Firelink Shrine, run through the graveyard and pick up everything, and pick up the rest of the items lying around.

Let me know if I missed anything.

ed: fixed based on feedback

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 3, 2011

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Good God, the fight against Gwyn, Lord Of Cinder :stare:

I know that parrying him is the way to go...but that's much, much easier said than done. I'm usually pretty good at parrying, but one fuckup and you're wide open for Flaming Greatsword Anal Rampage Bonanza Time.

I love the design of this fight, even though it's incredibly hard. As other people have said earlier, just the way he fights let you know he wants you dead harder than anything has ever wanted anything else dead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Daeren posted:

I know that parrying him is the way to go...but that's much, much easier said than done. I'm usually pretty good at parrying, but one fuckup and you're wide open for Flaming Greatsword Anal Rampage Bonanza Time.

I love the design of this fight, even though it's incredibly hard. As other people have said earlier, just the way he fights let you know he wants you dead harder than anything has ever wanted anything else dead.

Block the first swing of the combo then parry the second. He takes his sweet, sweet time and sets him self up to let you stab him right through.

I love that fight; no cutscene, great music, humanoid enemy, and an open room for the two of you to charge and blast at each other like gods.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

BigLeafyTree posted:

My dragon character is high strength but I dunno if that affects his unarmed dragon form attack at all. The various buffs dragon form gives dont show up on the stats page at all so I have no idea how any of it works.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Guliani is HOT posted:

With the master key, open the door to Valley of the Drakes from New Londo. Go into Blighttown, climb down to grab the Crimson Set (it's a couple ladders down and across a tree branch). If you're really brave, you could go for the Fire Keeper's Soul, although I didn't try.

You missed the fact that Lautrec kills the Fire Keeper Maiden as soon as you pick up the Fire Keeper Soul in Blighttown, so you want to get the other two and turn them in, first.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've hit a wall, hard, on the Four Kings.

First it was simply getting to them, then you guys told me of a path that avoided fights. Yay!

I still die every time I get down there. I don't like that. I've tried summoning phantoms, but they haven't been following me. Instead they try to fight all the Darkwraiths and get slaughtered. Or get me slaughtered trying to rescue them.

I did have one success story tonight. After a long drought, I finally found someone to summon! I hit his sign and, moments later, got an invasion notice! This spirit of vengeance arrived on the scene just as my new buddy appeared. He rushed down to attack before the odds turned. I blocked, and swung. He blocked, too, but the attack pushed him off the ledge to his death.

Praise the sun!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ConfusedUs posted:

First it was simply getting to them, then you guys told me of a path that avoided fights. Yay!

I still die every time I get down there. I don't like that. I've tried summoning phantoms, but they haven't been following me. Instead they try to fight all the Darkwraiths and get slaughtered. Or get me slaughtered trying to rescue them.

I did have one success story tonight. After a long drought, I finally found someone to summon! I hit his sign and, moments later, got an invasion notice! This spirit of vengeance arrived on the scene just as my new buddy appeared. He rushed down to attack before the odds turned. I blocked, and swung. He blocked, too, but the attack pushed him off the ledge to his death.

Praise the sun!
What level are you and what gear are you trying to use?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Daeren posted:

I defeated him on my first attempt without parrying but it was very close. The trick is to stay in close and bait him to use his grab attack then quickly back away. He'll whiff it and stumble leaving himself wide open. I wouldn't attempt to damage him at any other point, he recovers too quickly and will combo you.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Guliani is HOT posted:

I suppose if you really want to, you could go to Darkroot and get some more stuff there, although getting around the drakes would probably be hard.

Back in the Valley of the Drakes, grab Astora's Straight Sword and the Dragon Crest Shield from the Undead Dragon.

How is getting past the drakes hard if getting past the toxic blow-dart guys in blight-town is easy? As long as you run as you pass them they just spray lightning to one side of you. You can easily grab the bandit set and the red tearstone ring before you bone/darksign/suicide out.

ConfusedUs posted:

Get a weapon that lets you do the most damage two-handed the fastest. Most people would recommend an upgraded lightning spear, or the fury sword made with the spider-lady's soul, or pyromancy if you've got an upgraded hand and some +magic damage gear. Get as close to the boss as you physically can and you'll only take chip-damage from being hit by the hilt. Swing away, don't bother blocking, walk sideways around him to avoid thrusts and overhead cleaves. If you can't kill the kings fast enough to avoid fighting two or more at once, use iron flesh/magic barrier to soak it.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 3, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

That's actually a pretty good response for why they won't release DLC. You gotta admit, Dark Souls is a loving MASSIVE game.

I wouldn't want them to have to take time away from making the inevitable sequel either. If armored core is any indication we will be seeing a new Dark Souls game every two or three years until we are dead. Even if it gets to the point where 5 people on the planet are buying it.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Guliani is HOT posted:

I just made a new char so here's a quick, spoiler-y list of stuff to grab (not recommended for your first playthrough)

If you're going that far, you may as well head to the Hollow and grab the Cloranthy Ring. You can get there from Blightown without having to kill anything except some mosquitoes and maybe a firebug or two, and there's a couple Moss Clumps near the water wheel to clear the poison you get from the swamp. With that and Havel's it'll be a while before you find a different worthwhile ring. If you can make it to the Hollow from Firelink you can homeward bone straight back using the bones from above Petrus.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I have yet to get mad about anything in this game but I just lost a little over 50k souls and 3 humanity to some stupid mistake and I hate everything. Why did I have to die and leave my bloodstain directly in the path of a swinging blade?????

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

YorexTheMad posted:

If you're going that far, you may as well head to the Hollow and grab the Cloranthy Ring. You can get there from Blightown without having to kill anything except some mosquitoes and maybe a firebug or two, and there's a couple Moss Clumps near the water wheel to clear the poison you get from the swamp. With that and Havel's it'll be a while before you find a different worthwhile ring. If you can make it to the Hollow from Firelink you can homeward bone straight back using the bones from above Petrus.
If you grab the Rusted Iron Ring you can just hustle through, heal off of Estus, grab the ring, and get home via death. Or bones. Whatever.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Vanguard Warden posted:

How is getting past the drakes hard if getting past the toxic blow-dart guys in blight-town is easy?

It varies by your starter class, but (of course) a Level 1 Pyro can take those guys out with one Fireball shot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Elysiume posted:

What level are you and what gear are you trying to use?

SL 60. Havel's, Crystal Ring Shield, Lightning Zweihander +3, pyro hand +14

I tried the Iron Flesh smackdown route, but last time I did it solo I got grabbed over and over and over and over until it finally ran out and I died.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Vanguard Warden posted:

How is getting past the drakes hard if getting past the toxic blow-dart guys in blight-town is easy? As long as you run as you pass them they just spray lightning to one side of you. You can easily grab the bandit set and the red tearstone ring before you bone/darksign/suicide out.

Mainly cause there's one on a path and I didn't think there was room to get around him. That was just off memory, I didn't actually try it, so yeah it's probably pretty doable.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Dear Lost Izalith,

Get hosed.

Sincerely,

Merauder

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Overbite posted:

I have yet to get mad about anything in this game but I just lost a little over 50k souls and 3 humanity to some stupid mistake and I hate everything. Why did I have to die and leave my bloodstain directly in the path of a swinging blade?????

I lost 30 humanity to ceaseless discharge once because I figured "Hey, I can totally make it back to the fog door." followed shortly by "I can get back to my bloodstain no problem, I don't need a ring of sacrifice."

I was wrong. Twice. Don't worry about it though. Souls can be farmed easily, and humanity can be farmed with a little more difficulty.

Guliani is HOT posted:

Mainly cause there's one on a path and I didn't think there was room to get around him. That was just off memory, I didn't actually try it, so yeah it's probably pretty doable.

Yeah, you can totally go around that guy to the right. Just don't try to loot the item in the cave next to him and expect to complete the run for the rest of the stuff. It's actually kind of funny when you get to the ladder at the end and see four drakes going crazy at the base of it.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 3, 2011

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

SL 60. Havel's, Crystal Ring Shield, Lightning Zweihander +3, pyro hand +14

I tried the Iron Flesh smackdown route, but last time I did it solo I got grabbed over and over and over and over until it finally ran out and I died.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Where are you standing when you attack them? I find that being as close to them as possible actually limits how much damage they can do. I'm talking really close, like you're pressing against them. They'll do some quick sword strikes that deal very little damage and can be tanked through, then it's just trying to deal as much damage as possible.

If you give them any space they'll have access to stronger attacks, like their AoE explosion and stronger sword strikes.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Merauder posted:

Dear Lost Izalith,

Get hosed.

Sincerely,

Merauder

Aggro them with a bow and run like the dickens to a spot they cannot reach you, they'll kill each other. There's some tangled tree roots kinda near the back of the area that works well.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Safe Driver posted:

Aggro them with a bow and run like the dickens to a spot they cannot reach you, they'll kill each other. There's some tangled tree roots kinda near the back of the area that works well.

Alternatively, bring a thousand arrows and kick back, hitting their big fat asses while you drink beer for an hour. That's what I did and Lost Izalith was a snap :)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SixtySix posted:

Alternatively, bring a thousand arrows and kick back, hitting their big fat asses while you drink beer for an hour. That's what I did and Lost Izalith was a snap :)
Composite Bow +9 dealt some serious hurt. Put on the Hawk Ring; it helps you deal more damage. I'd aggro as many as I could, wait for them to kill each other, then take out the last one.

The first time I saw one start to jump, I was like "okay I know they jump" and then it actually took off and I was pretty much :aaaaa:

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
I went toe-to-toe with those assholes in Lost Izalith. Put on the lava ring, block their all their poo poo, and destroy their feet with a two-handed "gently caress you" weapon.

It wasn't difficult, but that is easily the worst, most lazily designed area in this game by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Something I find really fun is taking moonlight greatsword and repair spell, shoot beams left and right (works with crystal ring shield too but that's getting nerfed).

The repair spell repairs everything you have equipped, both armor and weapons (including weapons in off hand/swap).

I imagine it works just as well with other weapons that have useful specials, and 14 int is easy to justify with all the utility sorceries.

• Locked thread