Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Yeah that guy was just doing it to be cute. Some "oh 3 weeks is too soon? well lemme spoil something from two years ago and see if that's different" thing.

People love to buck about spoiler tags, thinking its about arbitrary rules or timing, never realizing it's really just about courtesy.

If there's one thing everyone in this thread can appreciate, it's how people may want to check out old shows that slipped past their radar with fresh eyes. A person current on Dexter but only starting season X of Breaking Bad goes into the Dexter thread and gets dicked the same because someone else is too lazy or just doesn't give a gently caress about other people's experience. Such weaksauce. If I like something, I want others to get the same chance I had to see it's full glory.

Yeah, if I'm in the show's thread and get spoiled then it's kind of my fault since I'm not caught up in the series (this is why I don't read show threads until I'm caught up). But I get really irritated if I get spoiled on a show I'm currently going through when I'm in a completely unrelated thread. I don't care enough to whine about it though. It sucks to be spoiled, but if not getting spoiled mattered that much to me then I would just stay off the forums till I got caught up since that's really the one sure way to avoid spoilers, and even then I could always overhear people talking at work or something about how Walter Jr. killed his dad because Walt beat him in Mortal Kombat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
So I just finished Lost and I don't want to sound stupid but I'm a bit confused. End spoilers ahead....

Did they die from the bomb and they were actually in limbo the whole time meaning... There's them being in limbo and moving on and them being on the island at the same time?I adn't thought of this either but I guess the whole time they were on the island they were in hell and the side ways time line was them moving on..gently caress I want some answers. I'm incredibly confused.

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 5, 2011

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

So I just finished Lost and I don't want to sound stupid but I'm a bit confused. End spoilers ahead....

Did they die from the bomb and they were actually in limbo the whole time meaning... There's them being in limbo and moving on and them being on the island at the same time?I adn't thought of this either but I guess the whole time they were on the island they were in hell and the side ways time line was them moving on..gently caress I want some answers. I'm incredibly confused.

You're right on track with how everyone else was confused, and it was pretty ambiguous for everyone. And asking goons will only lead to frustration.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Island stuff was real. They time-traveled again when the bomb went off. The "sideways" stuff was the afterlife.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

As far as I'm concerned...

The bomb was "always" detonated; it was the Incident that had been mentioned for several seasons. It didn't have anything specific to do with the events in the afterlife, it's just we only started seeing that storyline after the bomb went off. You can debate whether it was a cheap trick by the writers or not.

The afterlife stuff is set after everyone's died, but because of Magic it's not really a strict linear thing.

E: Lycus put it more succinctly.

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
Finally getting around to Mad Men since it's on netflix instant. Its good and all, but goddamn Breaking Bad always leaves me wanting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Piano posted:

You're right on track with how everyone else was confused, and it was pretty ambiguous for everyone. And asking goons will only lead to frustration.

No it wasn't there were mentions of events that happened in the last season like the Ben/Hurley conversation

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

God I should have stopped watching that show after season one. I've not been so pissed/disappointed at an ending as I was with that. Actually the whole last season lead up was just terrible I thought.

anonymitylol
Nov 7, 2011

I say the world must learn of our peaceful ways... by force!
About to start watching Mad Men and Misfits since I've been meaning to watch both for months and I've got a couple friends pestering me to start watching them.

I might pick up Boardwalk Empire too, been hearing good things about it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Been watching through Torchwood lately, and I really don't get what the Doctor Who fans on this forum have against it. I guess if you were expecting something lighthearted like Who you would be disappointed, but really it's ridiculous and tons of fun, and it has Captain Jack. :allears:
Other than a few episodes I missed, the first two series were a rewatch, and that episode with the spacewhale is still one of the most disturbing and depressing things that I've seen, well until I watched Children of Earth. :qq:

I just watched the first episode of Miracle Day, and oh boy, it really is an American made Torchwood, it's almost a parody. It's a thing of beauty.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

wyoming posted:

Been watching through Torchwood lately, and I really don't get what the Doctor Who fans on this forum have against it. I guess if you were expecting something lighthearted like Who you would be disappointed, but really it's ridiculous and tons of fun, and it has Captain Jack. :allears:
Other than a few episodes I missed, the first two series were a rewatch, and that episode with the spacewhale is still one of the most disturbing and depressing things that I've seen, well until I watched Children of Earth. :qq:

I just watched the first episode of Miracle Day, and oh boy, it really is an American made Torchwood, it's almost a parody. It's a thing of beauty.

You mean other then the fact that a major character is a rapist, the alien that feeds on orgasms, and cyberwoman?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean other then the fact that a major character is a rapist, the alien that feeds on orgasms, and cyberwoman?

And RTD constant reminder that Jack is gay. Hey did you know Jack is gay, well I said it last sentence let me remind you right now! Though Children of Earth was pretty awesome and showed what kind of potential Torchwood could have, I couldn't make it past episode 4 of the new one.

A for series I binged through almost everything of Eureka. I'm kinda sad that I didn't watch this from the beginning. The only annoying thing I have with it is Felicia Day. There is just something that rubs me the wrong way with her.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

bobkatt013 posted:

Rapist?
And yes, those are things from two episodes, your point?

Also they don't make it a point that Jack is gay, they make a point that he's into everything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

wyoming posted:

Rapist?
And yes, those are things from two episodes, your point?

Also they don't make it a point that Jack is gay, they make a point that he's into everything.

First episode Owen uses that spray to make a women and her boyfriend sleep with him. Also poodle sex and all the characters being completely flat

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
^ Welp, don't watch Misfits or you will flip your loving poo poo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

bobkatt013 posted:

First episode Owen uses that spray to make a women and her boyfriend sleep with him. Also poodle sex and all the characters being completely flat

Oh yes, that scene shows how all of the members of Torchwood are horribly abusing alien technology. Think The Invisible Man.
Thing about Owen, he's not a nice guy, he isn't rewarded for this by the show, nor any of the characters, they don't know about it. Now if Jack gave him a wink and said "Good going tiger" then yeah, we'd have a problem.
You're dead wrong on the characters being flat, they're all completely flawed, and completely realistic. They're not heroes, they're mostly not likeable, you're not supposed to want to be them, they're just supposed to be interesting.
And really, you have a Rory avatar and you're complaining about flat characters? Can you describe Rory without mentioning his love for Amy? Or define Amy without her lust for the Doctor?

How about the cyberwoman, I suppose your objection there is her metal bikini? The best part about that is the the scantly clad woman that's tied up to the mad science table is by far the most dangerous and scary thing in the episode. That episode is about how Ianto can't let go, because she has a body, it still looks like her, even though it's not. The most upsetting thing is that Ianto keeps this unhuman body alive and lets her place her brain in the body of a poor pizza girl. Disturbing.

As for Jack, if he wasn't gay, would anyone complain that he show was always reminding us that he was straight? He's a character that wears his sexuality on his sleeve, and I don't see a problem with that. Nor a problem with sex being in scifi at all, an alien that feeds on orgasms? Well considering this is a show is a spinoff with a show that sentient plastic, killer salt shakers, and stone angels that send you back in time, unless they break your neck for plot convenience, then why not? It's silly, it's sexy, it's Torchwood.

You can dislike Torchwood, you can hate RTD, but don't pretend it's some sexist anti-gay show. The show had three female leads, who were competent in what they did, dressed reasonably, and had characteristics beyond being female. It also has multiple characters that are openly gay, and their sexual preference is just part of who they are, not the butt of some joke.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lascivious Sloth posted:

^ Welp, don't watch Misfits or you will flip your loving poo poo.

Funny thing misfits is one of my favorite shows, but they are always seen as flawed characters owen is not. BBQ sause, the fact that people got killed and the person who is responsible is considered blameless and in fact starts to sleep with jack.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Made it through all six seasons (and what's aired of the seventh) of How I Met Your Mother. It was loving awesome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Scrapez posted:

God I should have stopped watching [Lost] after season one. I've not been so pissed/disappointed at an ending as I was with that. Actually the whole last season lead up was just terrible I thought.

I thought the last season was by far the weakest, and I was ambivalent about the ending, but I enjoyed seasons 4 and 5 (far) too much to regret watching the show beyond the first season.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just started watching Parks and Recreation. 5 episodes in, and it's pretty funny but Amy Poehler's character just seems like Michael from the Office turned up a notch in the stupidity/awkwardness. Mark sucks as a character too. Ron and Tom are my two favorites, the college intern is really funny too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amy Poehler's character gets way better from season 2 onwards. Less stupid and awkward and more passionate and dedicated. Honestly the entire show massively kicks it up a notch and you should definitely keep going (not that you sound like you're going to stop or anything, which is good).

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought the last season was by far the weakest, and I was ambivalent about the ending, but I enjoyed seasons 4 and 5 (far) too much to regret watching the show beyond the first season.

Yeah it did kind of fizzle out a bit toward the end but I'd certainly never say it isn't worth watching because of that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pron on VHS posted:

Just started watching Parks and Recreation. 5 episodes in, and it's pretty funny but Amy Poehler's character just seems like Michael from the Office turned up a notch in the stupidity/awkwardness. Mark sucks as a character too. Ron and Tom are my two favorites, the college intern is really funny too.

These problems get fixed as the show goes on. Mostly in season 2.

dynodash
Jul 14, 2010
Should I skip the early seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? I hear it takes a while to get going.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

dynodash posted:

Should I skip the early seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? I hear it takes a while to get going.

I think in Sunny's case it's more that it takes a while for the characters to grow on you. I started watching it from the beginning and it took me about ten eps to really start to enjoy it. My wife started watching it last season and it still took her about ten eps to really enjoy it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Conversely, I loved it from day one. I should find the latter seasons, I only have 1 and 2 on DVD and haven't watched past that just because I keep forgetting to look it up.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was okay from day one, but really started to enjoy it a lot more as I got to know the characters. My wife thought it was dumb as poo poo when she first saw it, but now she loves it as much as I do.

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008
I just bought the box set of Charlie Jade based on the description on the back of the box but after getting home it looks like they were planning a second season that never happened. Can anyone tell me if this is this going to be yet another show that I like that ends with a massive cliffhanger that will never be resolved before I start?

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

Bill Door posted:

I just bought the box set of Charlie Jade based on the description on the back of the box but after getting home it looks like they were planning a second season that never happened. Can anyone tell me if this is this going to be yet another show that I like that ends with a massive cliffhanger that will never be resolved before I start?

They set things up for season 2, but the main story for season 1 is wrapped up.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug
I'm on a showtime kick. I just ran through season one of shameless and caught up with homeland. Both shows are amazing and I highly recommend them both.

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008

Berkeloid posted:

They set things up for season 2, but the main story for season 1 is wrapped up.

That's about as good as I could hope for I guess thanks!

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bill Door posted:

That's about as good as I could hope for I guess thanks!

Looking forward to reading your impressions.

The story behind the production was pretty interesting. I think some time around episode 8 they replaced the writing staff. You can see the storyline start to accelerate at that point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pron on VHS posted:

I hear that's one of the major complaints about the first season (also that Andy is apparently a big oaf rather than a big lovable oaf?). As someone who skipped season 1 outright and started with season 2, Leslie has never seemed like Michael Scott (and thank god for that) to me. So, I think if you stick with it you will be rewarded.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I hear that's one of the major complaints about the first season (also that Andy is apparently a big oaf rather than a big lovable oaf?). As someone who skipped season 1 outright and started with season 2, Leslie has never seemed like Michael Scott (and thank god for that) to me. So, I think if you stick with it you will be rewarded.

Yes Andy is a huge dick in season 1, but changes in season 2

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Mark is my least favorite character BY FAR. There's nothing funny or interesting about him.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

The Collector posted:

I'm on a showtime kick. I just ran through season one of shameless and caught up with homeland. Both shows are amazing and I highly recommend them both.

Shameless is awesome! Love that show. Can't wait for the second season. I like homeland I just haven't had time to get caught up. Watched the first two episodes. Really like it.

I am almost done with the wire. God drat I am going to be sad when I am done. It is so well done.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Mark is my least favorite character BY FAR. There's nothing funny or interesting about him.

I didn't hate him but I'm totally glad he was replaced by Adam Scott's character. Adam Scott owns.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Currently halfway into the 5th season of The Shield which I have flown through in a couple weeks. Why the hell didn't I watch this show before? I love Sons of Anarchy, I love The Wire...

Christ, it's good. I have a feeling I will finish the series in the next few days.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Secks posted:

Currently halfway into the 5th season of The Shield which I have flown through in a couple weeks. Why the hell didn't I watch this show before? I love Sons of Anarchy, I love The Wire...

Christ, it's good. I have a feeling I will finish the series in the next few days.

If you're halfway through Season 5, there's a very good chance of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The Shield's a show that hums along at a good pace for 4 seasons and then suddenly it explodes like a loving grenade for the rest of the series.