Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

NG++ Trip Report: One-shotted every boss so far, died to Pinwheel. Yes! PINWHEEL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

metasynthetic posted:

Motherfucker. This is my first time through the game, I go to Sen's Fortress and I fight the Mimic for the first time, not knowing what the gently caress. I kill him with a fireball right as he kills me with a swipe. Then I read the wiki afterwards and find out it's the source of the goddamn lightning spear everyone keeps mentioning and I'm hosed. ARGH VIDEO GAMES :argh:

Don't lose hope, that item isn't actually unique. You almost definitely have a spear/partizan/pike in your inventory that you can upgrade to that yourself. You can get even better stuff with upgrading. I think that item's there more to remind you that upgrading stuff makes it really good.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

NG++ Trip Report: One-shotted every boss so far, died to Pinwheel. Yes! PINWHEEL!

I'm finding NG++ to be a real victory lap in the game. It's not really any harder than NG+ but you've probably got crazy levels and tons of maxed out gear by that point, so everything just crumbles before you. I've been trying to sequence break as much as possible without even using the master key - I started by going down through New Londo first thing, killing the guy for the key to the seal, then heading through the valley of the drakes up to Darkroot, where I took out Sif and Moonlight Butterfly, then headed back through the blacksmith in the Undead Parish and back to Firelink Shrine, and went and took out Four Kings to open up the Darkwraith covenant.

So I've met Darkstalker Kaathe without even having rung the first bell of awakening yet. I'm kind of curious how Frampt will react, if he even shows up at all.

None of these bosses provided any sort of challenge (Sif one-shotted me with a lucky attack but I got him easy next try), and I've been invaded a few times already by phantoms that I've quickly slaughtered. It's kind of nice going back and tearing up everything that used to give me trouble, other players included. It seems like PvP is actually more interesting at higher levels, because you get invaded by more actual players and less insane twinks that are ridiculously overgeared for their level that murder you in one hit.

Also, did you bring Leeroy along? I'm pretty sure it's harder to lose that fight than it is to win it if you have him with you. All you have to do is just kind of sit in a corner blocking with a black knight shield and Leeroy will just kill the boss for you.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 3, 2011

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
gently caress Sif and gently caress Darkroot Gardens. I just need phantoms to help with Sif, but I can't get them because you get invaded by fog ring laggy guys as soon as you enter (I'm in east asia). I got Sif down to 50% but I just want to move on. Is there any way to get around this problem? My character isn't really meant for PvP and I really kind of get front-side backstabbed a ton. Not sure where most of the players are from, but it doesn't seem like here based on the names.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

synertia posted:

gently caress Sif and gently caress Darkroot Gardens. I just need phantoms to help with Sif, but I can't get them because you get invaded by fog ring laggy guys as soon as you enter (I'm in east asia). I got Sif down to 50% but I just want to move on. Is there any way to get around this problem? My character isn't really meant for PvP and I really kind of get front-side backstabbed a ton. Not sure where most of the players are from, but it doesn't seem like here based on the names.
Are you on NG+ or something? With a reasonable stability shield, Sif really isn't that bad. Just kind of annoyingly mobile.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Are you on NG+ or something? With a reasonable stability shield, Sif really isn't that bad. Just kind of annoyingly mobile.

High dex build with some end but not much. The circle swipe twice takes about 50% of my health.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

synertia posted:

Sif is one of the easiest bosses in the game if you have a decent shield. Every single one of his attacks is easily blockable. All you need to do is hold your shield up and run straight forward until you get underneath him, where he can't hit you at all. Then just mash the attack button until he jumps away. Maybe back off and put your shield down for a few seconds if you run low on stamina. If you're having issues, come back later with shield that has better stability (and 100 physical resist, of course). You'll be fine with that even if you're rocking base endurance. You really don't need phantoms to help you out.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For future reference, the clams in the Ash Lake at the bottom of the tree drop the curse removal items fairly frequently and don't like fire very much. That might have been a better option at that point. Although how did you possibly get cursed that many times before realizing "Maybe I shouldn't stand in the fog?" :psyduck:

Well, simply failing to notice the first stacking before running in again left me at 12.5% hits. And at that point, I figured I might as well make a couple more runs, because what's the odds of it happening again? And then, "well, surely I'm not going to something that dumb twice in a row." I mean, you have to be borderline retarded to get cursed when you actually care about it.

And then I put on that ring that halves hits and doubles castings, because when a mosquito is already one-shotting you who cares? Incidentally, the rings that increase defense or attack when hit points are low must do that based on your current maximum, because they did not activate at 1/64th hits.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also, did you bring Leeroy along? I'm pretty sure it's harder to lose that fight than it is to win it if you have him with you. All you have to do is just kind of sit in a corner blocking with a black knight shield and Leeroy will just kill the boss for you.

Haha, nope. I've not yet summoned any NPC for a boss fight except for Solaire at Gwyn, just because I went through the motions during the rest of the playthrough to have him available (and he did jack poo poo during the fight anyhow.)

I just got cocky at Pinwheel; dropped into his tomb with Homing Crystal Soulmass up, all 5 hit him for about 3/4 of his health, and in the time it took me to almost chip him to zero health via melee, he had summoned 4 clones that simultaneously blasted me for an instadeath.

synertia posted:

If you make it a point to get as close to Sif's backside (or underside), all of his attacks miss. When he hops away from you, sprint back under/behind him with shield up. I figured this out by dumb luck on my very first attempt, and I don't think he's hit me a single time in any of my playthroughs.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 3, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Psyker posted:

I need to defend Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. If you have not played it, it was easily the most underrated game of 2010 and is downright amazing.

I played it for a couple of hours and it just felt like God of War to me which I really don't like.

Araganzar posted:

So this is what happens when if you run around all nambly-pambly in that big tree, blissfully unaware that curse effects stack:

Didn't have warp yet. That was a fun run up from the bottom of Blighttown.

How is it even possible to get cursed this many times? How on earth did you make it back?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vanguard Warden posted:

Well, common knowledge on how the matchmaking works is apparently bogus. I was playing a level 1 pyromancer run when I dropped my sign in the undead parish, and got summoned by a level 5 thief for the gargoyle fight, twice in a row.

Yes, it's totally at least the 10 levels+10% like Demon souls for co-op and for PvP there may not actually be an upper-cap on who you hit but there is certainly a lower one.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

synertia posted:

Join the Forest Covenant so you don't get invaded?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Alright, I've got Grant now after I kicked Leeroy off the ledge without realizing he dropped a weapon my previous time through the game. Now all I have to do is get a Channeler's Trident and I'll get the achievement. Thanks for the clarification on the Ghost Blade not being required. First, though, since I'm down in the Tomb of Giants, I should kill Nito, but I'm still playing as Biorr with a Greatsword and Crossbow. Neither one is divine, and I can't use a shield, so these skeletons in the fight are being a bit of a pain.

Oae Ui posted:

Hey now, let's take a moment to remember what King's Field on the PS1 looked like:

That game wasn't even pretty then. How far they've come...

Even though it looks pretty bad, and runs extremely slowly, it was almost worth it just to have a game on the PS1 with literally no load times after starting the game. It does wonders for the atmosphere and immersion. Even the NPCs that literally have no faces just kind of add to the oppressive feeling of the game world.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 3, 2011

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Titties! I just scored Priscilla's dagger. I just aimed at her tail with a plus 1 Flaming Longsword. Apparently aiming for the tip helps a lot. Now I just gotta upgrade it. Where can I find Dragon Scales?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Vargs posted:

Sif is one of the easiest bosses in the game if you have a decent shield. Every single one of his attacks is easily blockable. All you need to do is hold your shield up and run straight forward until you get underneath him, where he can't hit you at all. Then just mash the attack button until he jumps away. Maybe back off and put your shield down for a few seconds if you run low on stamina. If you're having issues, come back later with shield that has better stability (and 100 physical resist, of course). You'll be fine with that even if you're rocking base endurance. You really don't need phantoms to help you out.

Even with a decent shield Sif's double-slash will usually cut through your stamina and a good chunk of health. But yeah, other than that one attack he doesn't have much going for him. A few Combustions will chew through his health in no time.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

How is it even possible to get cursed this many times? How on earth did you make it back?

Bonfire to bonfire, then up the water wheel to the tunnel to Valley of the Drakes. I didn't have the ring that lets you run in the poison water yet so I put on the extra attunement slot ring and the one that doubles castings and nuked anything that even looked at me funny. That mainly let me get past fights fast enough that the mosquitos weren't able to swam me and poison couldn't kill me. I actually never checked to see if the poison was ticking off a straight amount or a percentage of my hits. I also went human to see if that would help anything, and had to fight that chick who invades you. Edit: actually, I just remember going human and almost dying to her - can you revive to human when cursed?

It's honestly kind of a fun way to play - reminded me of the old Demon's Souls runs where people stayed at critical hit points. I think I enjoyed the game less for the bit that I used lightning weapons, because they are just too damned good. As a non-PS3 owner I feel privileged that this game so faithfully recreates so many of the moments I loved in that old Let's Play.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 3, 2011

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Ixjuvin posted:

Wait, since when do curses stack? Did they change/fix that in the patch? I got cursed a billion times in the Hollow and only got down to half health

I'm wondering about this too. I was really scared about getting multiple curses after reading the forums, but they don't seem to stack in my game for some reason.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Araganzar posted:

It's honestly kind of a fun way to play - reminded me of the old Demon's Souls runs where people stayed at critical hit points. I think I enjoyed the game less for the bit that I used lightning weapons, because they are just too damned good. As a non-PS3 owner I feel privileged that this game so faithfully recreates so many of the moments I loved in that old Let's Play.

I've been cursed many times over and the curses never stacked. Although that was with the green depth curse frog things. I've only been cursed once by the black ones, and that was with my SL1 character who had a hell of a time getting out of blighttown afterwords.

Are you on Xbox or PS3?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Peppi posted:

I'm wondering about this too. I was really scared about getting multiple curses after reading the forums, but they don't seem to stack in my game for some reason.

I have no idea anymore. The guide says they do and it looks like we have evidence of it but it sure didn't happen for me.

Is it possible that the game is set up to just run slightly differently for different people? In the IRC channel we were talking about the big knight with a mace and tower shield that guards the route to Ricard on the roof of Sen's. After having killed him and revisiting the bonfire many times, he never came back. Tonight, after running around through Anor, I run back through Sen's only to find that he's back? Some other people in the chat had never had him respawn, and some people had him respawn every time they visited the bonfire.

Maybe the game is just screwing with us. :stare:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Dear Watson posted:

I've been cursed many times over and the curses never stacked. Although that was with the green depth curse frog things. I've only been cursed once by the black ones, and that was with my SL1 character who had a hell of a time getting out of blighttown afterwords.

Are you on Xbox or PS3?

I'm on the Xbox, I found this on the one of the wikis:
"Note: With the latest update (for both Xbox 360 and PS3) the curse from the frogs in The Great Hollow will not stack."

It does say curse otherwise stacks, so presumably curses in the Depths still function that way?

If it's a random thing, I'm glad it happened to me. The pants-making GBS threads moment when I thought I couldn't avoid the poison killing me was worth it. Turned out the mosquitos and ogres were more of an issue.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Curses stacked in the initial version of the game, but patch 1.03 removed that. If your system isn't connected to the internet, you'll still be running the older version, and be subject to stacking curses.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

ign posted:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1211380p1.html
What surprised me was seeing multiple copies of Dark Souls in my local non-hardcore-gamer-oriented electronics store. Either someone there is a fan, or the appeal of the game is a lot broader than expected. Or is it a consequence of their somewhat broader target audience for the marketing campaign?
I hope not too many people are put of by the game's unusual level of difficulty and find the right communities. One of the most amazing things of the souls series is the level of support the community offers. Hardly any flaming, mostly people helping each other out, trying to get their cars moving through the snow again.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Curses stacked in the initial version of the game, but patch 1.03 removed that. If your system isn't connected to the internet, you'll still be running the older version, and be subject to stacking curses.

Ahh, mystery solved.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I could've sworn I patched on install though. Xbox usually won't let you start up a game that needs a patch. I swap the ethernet between the Xbox and a PC so it's possible I guess. I'm usually playing offline, but I'd presume this has nothing to do with whether or not you're connected at the time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

HondaCivet posted:

Is it possible that the game is set up to just run slightly differently for different people? In the IRC channel we were talking about the big knight with a mace and tower shield that guards the route to Ricard on the roof of Sen's. After having killed him and revisiting the bonfire many times, he never came back. Tonight, after running around through Anor, I run back through Sen's only to find that he's back? Some other people in the chat had never had him respawn, and some people had him respawn every time they visited the bonfire.

Maybe the game is just screwing with us. :stare:

Huh. He respawns every single time for me. I farmed him for most of a steel armor set and some large titanite shards.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

Huh. He respawns every single time for me. I farmed him for most of a steel armor set and some large titanite shards.

There for me, too. I stop by and say howdy every time I'm about to go buy some from the merchant anyway. Dropping off the walkway near where it's broken and hitting R1 to kill the rapier guy about a half a mile down is also fun.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

Titties! I just scored Priscilla's dagger. I just aimed at her tail with a plus 1 Flaming Longsword. Apparently aiming for the tip helps a lot. Now I just gotta upgrade it. Where can I find Dragon Scales?

There's three sources: one is just finding them around the world (Ash Lake has a bunch, and killing the Hydras there and in Darkroot will net you a few as well. Ditto for the zombie dragons in Painted World and Valley of the Drakes). Another is farming drakes in the Valley of the Drakes, but the drop rate is VERY low so I don't recommend it. Finally, if you see a dragon eye summon, you can bring that person in to duel, and whoever wins gets a free dragon scale (note: you need to have at least one dragon scale on you to see them, but you don't actually lose that dragon scale if you lose the fight. I'm not sure why it's set up that way).

If you only upgrade one dragon weapon, you should be able to find enough scales in an average run to get it up to at least +4, maybe +5. I'm not sure how many there are in the game but there's enough that you shouldn't have to farm drakes.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So I grabbed the large ember from Demon Ruins, went to the blacksmith in catacombs who seemed very excited when I gave it to him, I upgraded my barbed straight sword to +5 fire...and there isn't an option to modify it to +6 (nothing in the upgrade or modify sections). Did I miss a step somewhere?

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

EvilCornbread posted:

So I grabbed the large ember from Demon Ruins, went to the blacksmith in catacombs who seemed very excited when I gave it to him, I upgraded my barbed straight sword to +5 fire...and there isn't an option to modify it to +6 (nothing in the upgrade or modify sections). Did I miss a step somewhere?

Are you sure you got the right ember? There are two fire embers in the demon ruins, the large flame ember that will allow you to go to +10 fire and a chaos flame ember that upgrades fire to chaos.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
So... where am I supposed to be if I want to summon people in Lost Izalith?

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Valkrye posted:

Are you sure you got the right ember? There are two fire embers in the demon ruins, the large flame ember that will allow you to go to +10 fire and a chaos flame ember that upgrades fire to chaos.
Goddamn it. Guess I'm going back there.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Gazmachine posted:

OK, so someone needs to set this to a spectacular Dark Souls death montage right loving now.

Done and done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOMv1Et53Z4

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

One weapon away from Knights honor trophy, and apparently I made the same greatsword of Artorias twice. I'd rather not play thru another time with this character. Does anybody want to let me hold theirs just so I can get the trophy? I need the uncursed one I believe, the one I have hurts ghosts at least. Level 108, Pm me if you wanna help :(

edit: European version, don't know if US has been patched yet

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

AllisonByProxy posted:

Done and done.

This is absolutely amazing.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Merauder posted:

This is absolutely amazing.

Thanks. :3 I'm glad I could finally contribute to the thread. I love this game so much. I think it will easily get GOTY 2011 for me at least. Eagerly anticipating getting mad at the patch!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

AllisonByProxy posted:

Done and done.

There's something lethargic watching other people die in this game. In NG+ I end up dying in the stupidest ways which tends to leave me feeling bewildered and not so much angry. Many of these deaths reminds me of this especially your Undead Parish bridge fight.

Best game.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

AllisonByProxy posted:

Done and done.

I havent played the game in 2 days and the last thing I needed was a headache and anxiety on where the next monster was gonna pop out and go for my neck and this video just made me :gonk: at the stuff I need to beware in the future.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Hi Dark Souls thread! Long time lurker, first time poster. I just got back from a 6-hour marathon session, after dying to the capra demon about a dozen times I figured I'd sleep on it and come back with fresh eyes tomorrow. I have a question real quick:

When should I expect to replace the knight armor I started the game with? I'm starting to feel a little like I've outgrown it but nothing good is dropping and I don't want to end up in a situation where I should have replaced my poo poo 10 levels ago but missed it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
So I've just been hangin' out in the Painted World lately, being a totally awesome phantom bro. I'll help nervous dudes clear out the whole area then lead them to the boss, making sure to show them that they don't have to fight the her if they are frightened. Sometimes I'll show them the glitch where you can make the dragon carcass stand up, giving you a shortcut to the boss fog wall. Most satisfying is defending them from Black Phantoms while they try not to die from phalanxes.

:3: I think I might join the sunlight bros when I get out of the painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mayor McCheese posted:

There's something lethargic watching other people die in this game. In NG+ I end up dying in the stupidest ways which tends to leave me feeling bewildered and not so much angry. Many of these deaths reminds me of this especially your Undead Parish bridge fight.

Best game.

Uh, do you mean cathartic?

• Locked thread