Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

pokie posted:

And bears hunting squirrels (see feedback text on the bottom).

I'm pretty sure they do this in unmodded BG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

A bow that does 6d4+6 damage per shot fired, and the bow shoots 5 of these super magic missiles, requires no ammunition, and isn't stopped by magic resistance or saves.

I can only wonder WHY someone would do this.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Olive Branch posted:

A bow that does 6d4+6 damage per shot fired, and the bow shoots 5 of these super magic missiles, requires no ammunition, and isn't stopped by magic resistance or saves.

To turn Imoen into a one-woman murder parade!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The armor mod that hosed up AC's to be more "realistic" was ultimately That One Weird Thing that got me to uninstall the whole kit and kaboodle.

I dont give a gently caress what you say, plate mail is better protection than leather or the entire ingame taxonomy of Bad Armor -> Good Armor breaks down to the detriment of everyone not literally inside your head at that moment. Period. If you dont want to model that then don't Mod Things.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Willie Tomg posted:

The armor mod that hosed up AC's to be more "realistic" was ultimately That One Weird Thing that got me to uninstall the whole kit and kaboodle.

I dont give a gently caress what you say, plate mail is better protection than leather or the entire ingame taxonomy of Bad Armor -> Good Armor breaks down to the detriment of everyone not literally inside your head at that moment. Period. If you dont want to model that then don't Mod Things.

I also don't have that mod installed. I think its called Full Plate and Packing Steel. Not only does it screw up everything and make things too hard to understand, but it also doesn't affect all armor. It's not a hard choice to make when you have some very complicated full plate mail in your backpack that does 30% dex penalty, 25% slashing protection, 22% piercing protection, 15% blunt protection, and slows the character by 2.4% or whatever and another piece of magical plate that simply lowers your AC to -4, full stop.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Willie Tomg posted:

Doesn't DnD itself starting around 3rd Edition screw that up though?

Since Dexterity factors into Armor Class, and heavy armor such as full plate eliminates that bonus, don't players in light armor literally take potential hits better than players in heavy armor?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 3, 2011

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tallgeese posted:

Doesn't DnD itself starting around 3rd Edition screw that up though?

Since Dexterity factors into Armor Class, and heavy armor such as full plate eliminates that bonus, don't players in light armor literally take potential hits better than players in heavy armor?

It's a sliding scale in 3E. So you get things like Leather Armor at +2 AC / Max Dex Bonus +6 for a total of +8 all the way to full plate at +8 AC / Max Dex +1 for a total of +9.

The thing is, you need to have a Dex of 22 to get the full potential out of that Leather Armor, and if you're not a Rogue or other Dex based classed, probably your Dex is only in the 12-16 range at best, so the sweet spot for your character might be a Breastplate +5/+3 or whatever.

Of course that was before factoring in things like Armor check penalty to skills, Arcane Spell Failure %, Weight, Max Speed, and so on. As a general rule, though, you wore whatever armor had the best AC/Dex bonus for your character's Dex.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
At least the modder didn't do this:
code:
ARMOR TYPE     SLASH  PIERCE BLUDGEON
Banded mail     +2       0      +1
Brigandine      +1      +1       0
Chain mail      +2       0      -2
Field Plate     +3      +1       0
Full Plate      +4      +3       0
Leather armor    0      -2       0
Plate mail      +3       0       0
Ring mail       +1      +1       0
Scale mail       0      +1       0
Splint mail      0      +1      +2
Studded leather +2      +1       0
That's an optional rule from the AD&D 2nd edition player's handbook (pg. 90). In this case the pluses are good, lowering the armor's ac against that damage type.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vorgen posted:

All of the mods! Seriously, I can only answer by saying check the BiG World PDF for more details. The 10.0 version. Its up to 10.2 since I installed :(.
Oh well. Check the guard stats once we get to Amn, and ask a certain ogre (and his party) to help the local community. :)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mr_Ham97 posted:

At least the modder didn't do this:
code:
ARMOR TYPE     SLASH  PIERCE BLUDGEON
Banded mail     +2       0      +1
Brigandine      +1      +1       0
Chain mail      +2       0      -2
Field Plate     +3      +1       0
Full Plate      +4      +3       0
Leather armor    0      -2       0
Plate mail      +3       0       0
Ring mail       +1      +1       0
Scale mail       0      +1       0
Splint mail      0      +1      +2
Studded leather +2      +1       0
That's an optional rule from the AD&D 2nd edition player's handbook (pg. 90). In this case the pluses are good, lowering the armor's ac against that damage type.

Pretty sure that's in the vanilla game to some extent. Check your information sheet for your bonuses to AC for different types of damage with different armours on.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

sebzilla posted:

Pretty sure that's in the vanilla game to some extent. Check your information sheet for your bonuses to AC for different types of damage with different armours on.
It actually is in the game! Turn on to-hit rolls and fire off an arrow at a leather armor-wearing Hobgoblin. You get a +2 to your to-hit because of that armor he's wearing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vorgen posted:

To turn Imoen into a one-woman murder parade!

This. Folks with no experience with mods - some mods do make the universe all about an added NPC, but just as bad are ones that modify an existing NPC and make everything and everyone revolve around that NPC. Imoen is *especially* bad for being targeted by these...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

pokie posted:

In case anyone wants to see crazy modded prices, here are some wands.

Are those charged to ridiculous levels or something? Those prices would make sense if they have like 65k uses.

Olive Branch posted:

Because they were playing Improved Anvil :v:

(Just kidding, I assume everything in IA is immune to magic missile by default)

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

30 Kythorn, 1369

We arrive at Bear River tired, cold, wet, and in the dark. There is nothing to do but set up a cold, wet, messy camp.

However, six hours into an unrestful sleep, the heavy foot steps of ogres awakens us from our rest. We quickly grab for our weapons, hoping that they haven't seen us yet.

Minsc charges straight into battle, his aura flaring about him. Soon bloody chunks of ogre flare about him as well.

And that was that.

Gameplay note: Holy poo poo dude's on a roll!

After completing our rest, we are ready to see what Bear River looks like. What it looks like is ogres and ogrillions and ogre berserkers.

They are not kind to wolves.

They become a little hard to deal with when they don't focus on Minsc and instead deal out blows to Branwen and me. Edwin tries to help again with a Color Spray.

It's not really effective. But Minsc seems to be taking care of business nevertheless.

Gameplay note: Minsc seems to be throwing out some very consistently high damage here.

I get Branwen to resurrect my wolf. He seems to be dying quite a lot recently. I'll have to be more careful with him. There is another ogre on the bridge. It seems fitting somehow. But it is also backed up by two hobgoblin elites.

One of them hits me. I need to retreat. One of their poison arrows hits Minsc.

We are out of healing potions but I do have an antidote. Viconia casts a heal while Branwen casts Aid, and Minsc quickly drinks the antidote.

At least that was the plan. But the ogre hits Branwen when she comes up and interrupts her spell. Thankfully Viconia's lone heal is enough to keep Minsc alive. I try to cast Blade Shower to take out those hobgoblin archers, but the magic has vastly different plans for me today.

Then-again-the-Ogre-Berserker-has-plans-for-me-too-hic!-hic!

I-retreat-twice-as-fast-as-I-normally-hic!-would-and-impatiently-hic!-flit-about-while-waiting-hic!-for-the-oh-so-slow-hic!-Viconia-and-Branwen-to-heal-me-hic!-When-they-finally-do-I-charge-hic!-across-the-bridge-in-half-a-second-hic!-to-meet-my-foe-head-on!

hic!-But-just-to-prove-I'm-not-hic!-stupid-I-also-throw-a-Horror-for-good-hic!-measure-It-goes-off-without-a-hic!-hic!-hitch.

After-hic!-that-it's-as-easy-hic!-as-one-hic!-two-hic!-three-hic!-hic!

hic!

hic!

hic!

... i am sooooo tired. Before we sleep, ahh, I tell Viconia... to do something. I forgot what. Must sleep.

Damnit! Again? Ahh, I'll let Minsc take care of it.

Maybe it was our lack of sleep. Maybe it was a freak chance. Maybe it was the fate of Tempus. But no matter the reason, the Ogre Berserker got lucky.

I couldn't help but feel it was my fault, and mine alone. He died not a moment later, but the damage had already been done.

What are... what are we even doing out here? What makes us think we can even rescue this Dynaheir? We've got to go back. We need to rest up, take stock of things. We need to resurrect Branwen. We're outta here.

18 hours into our journey we are ambushed.

Edwin lets loose a Color Spray into the heat of battle, but it catches both Minsc and Imoen too. They are both stunned and blinded.

I have to save Imoen! I try to cast Horror.

No dice. But I still must save her! Cloaked in my invisibility, I ghost over to that damnable gibberling that is attacking her and strike.

Good. Her confusion ends then, so I yell at her to get behind me! I barely notice the half-ogre standing next to me. Thankfully Minsc does.

We barely manage to stay alive. We continue on our journey once more.

It costs 600 gold to raise Branwen. But in selling spare items that we have, we end up with 1300 gold after that. We are making a little headway in the world!

It is good to see that Branwen is alright. We talk with her for a while before spending some quality time resting up in the temple. When everyone is healed and rested and relaxed, we head back to the Jovial Juggler. Time to get Branwen some much-needed rest, and pick up another.

Gameplay note: Based on our last party vote way back on page 20 we've gone through Jaheira and Shar-Teel, so the next most popular character is Kagain! Minsc and Kagain, slaughtering ogres together! That'll be something to see, for sure!

When we exit the temple, however, who should greet us but our old friend Astral Phase Spider, teleporting in from who-knows-where.

I am angry. We killed an entire tribe of xvarts, why should this spider torment us! Also, thankfully, it is locked into combat with Haiass, who doesn't seem to be doing that badly. I tell everyone to turn and attack. I start out with a Horror, even though nothing happens.

But even before Viconia can finish casting a Chant, the spider beats Haiass down to Near Death and teleports to Edwin. Ummm, maybe this wasn't a good idea after all? Minsc couldn't even walk fast enough to get into melee yet.

Edwin runs. He's not so stupid then. The spider turns on Branwen. She runs while Edwin casts Armor. Out of the courtyard, I notice Gavin buffing himself up to fight.

I realize that if Gavin is killed in this fight we will not be able to resurrect him! What the hell is he doing?! The spider finally turns to Minsc, the best possible outcome, just as Viconia finishes a Bless. Is that ichor the beast is dripping?

A Blessed, Chanted, Flame Aura'd Minsc faces the Astra Phase Spider head-on. He gets poisoned but keeps tanking. With him locking the spider down, Viconia is able to get the final killing blow!

Ding dong the spider is dead! I laugh, and laugh, and do a little dance on the disgusting corpse. Take that, you goddamned arachnid bastard!

Gameplay note: Killing that spider was worth 1818 xp. At least we got something out of it.

The spider's poison is quite powerful, though, and Minsc is infected with it. Nobody has an antidote or anti-poison spells prepared to Viconia and Branwen just have to keep healing him, hoping he will survive.

Finally, with one more heal from Branwen, the poison leaves his body. We survived the day! HAHA!! I laugh all the way to the Jovial Juggler. When I notice everyone glancing at me out of the corners of their eyes I change to giggling. I throw in a few sniggers too, just for good pleasure measure. You know, it feels like forever since we've been here at the Jovial Juggler. It's good to be home!

You'll not "suffer" long if you keep up that attitude. Get in step Kagain, we've business to attend to.

Straight to the point, I respect that. Let's go.

Gameplay note: I remember hearing some people being disappointed at Kagain's kit of Troll Slayer. Since this is the first time we've actually used him we can take this opportunity to change his kit if people would like. He's a fighter, of course, but he could become several different types of fighter.

What should we change Kagain to, if anything?

A. Kagain's a Troll Slayer. He's just fine the way he is. Don't change him at all. Die trolls die!
B. Kagain's a Berserker Battlerager. Dude cannot be contained. Also, berserkers are called Battleragers in dwarven lands, laddie.
C. Kagain's a Pit Fighter. HE DOES TOO REGENERATE!! All Pit Fighters do! Sure he's not so good with the axe but he drat well regenerates and you can never take that away from him, never!
D. Kagain's a Duergar Warrior. A chaotic evil dwarf with a bad attitude and permissive feelings toward murder? Doesn't talk much? Dude's an undercover duergar, obviously!
E. Kagain's a Gladiator. I'm seeing the fighting for sport, but I don't like regeneration. Kagain doesn't like to talk about it, but he once eviscerated seven men in about ten seconds flat before grumbling quietly to the crowd, "So are you entertained or what? Eh, see if I care."

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 3, 2011

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I forget what his CON was changed to, I remember it's not 20 now. However, if it's 19, make him a Gladiator since he'll gain regeneration and some other neat looking bonuses.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Do note that the BG1 NPC Project assumes Kagain still has his 20 CON, so it may be a bit odd when he and other party members talk about his regeneration...

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

So that's a vote for which one then?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

E

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Gladiator

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'll vote for anything but Troll Slayer because god drat does that kit suck. (Do points in sword&shield even do anything after the second or third?)

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Yeah, Gladiator seems like the best fit.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gladiator, free attribute points are the best attribute points.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Couldn't you have ran back into the temple to get the poison removed?

Also, Gladiator.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Duergar Warrior, because seriously, when would charisma ever matter to a dwarf?
Also, that would take him up to 20 Constitution, which means he regenerates. Like a pit fighter, but with higher constitution :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gladiator gets my vote!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Gladiator is a good choice for him. And nice to finally see that spider finally dead.

SpeckledJim
Oct 30, 2011
Just wanted to say I'm enjoying this LP so much that I've finally decided to get around to downloading Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 from GOG. To think I've been an RPG fan for so long and never played them is shocking. Keep up the good work, Vorgen!

Also; Gladiator, because then I'll be picturing Russell Crowe in the role.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Awesome LP! I'm addicted and reinstalling BG 1 and 2 as we speak. All these mods seem so cool that I don't want to go back to the vanilla build, so I'll see if I can get this big world thing working.

As for Kagain, I'll go against the crowd and make him stay a troll slayer. Something about a little angry dwarf who hates trolls really does it for me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Back from vacation, just in time to vote gladiator.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Come on Pit Fighter! We need someone who can knock out some teeth!

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

D. Kagain's a Duergar Warrior. A chaotic evil dwarf with a bad attitude and permissive feelings toward murder? Doesn't talk much? Dude's an undercover duergar, obviously!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I am, in fact, entertained.

(Gladiator)

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Gladiator does seem pretty cool, but I'm too big a fan of the SNES and a certain infamous game so I'll vote for Pit Fighter

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I like the sound of Duergar Warrior.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I support Duergar Warrior

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, I couldn't really tell from the screenshots, what did it Polymorph you into? Or did it polymorph the enemy?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Oh so this is what people mean when they say quote is not edit.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 4, 2011

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Couldn't you have ran back into the temple to get the poison removed?

I could have, yes, if I had run out of heals. I guess I just didn't think of it because there was really no need.

Captain Bravo posted:

So, I couldn't really tell from the screenshots, what did it Polymorph you into? Or did it polymorph the enemy?

The polymorph seemed to have no effect. I'm not quite sure what happened with that. I seemed to have just been given the melee abilities of a warrior, hasted, and given hiccups.

You know I'm starting to think that Blade Shower doesn't actually work correctly. It's been like Burning Hands in that it never seems to actually go off.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I'm having trouble with the Big World installer. It doesn't seem to want to find my directories.

I have the GoG version of BG1 and BG2, so it should be simple, right? I followed the exact directions here http://www.gog.com/en/forum/baldur_s_gate/big_world with the same folder names and everything, but it still can't seem to find my BG2 installation. I get the errors that I can't find that video file and that I don't have the updates, even if I use the instructions in the above link. Any thoughts?

Also, is the Big world batch file supposed to be in the BG2 (BGII - SoA) directory, or the directory below where BG1 and BG2 are installed (in this case, BI)? I've tried both and haven't had success with either :(.

EDIT: OK, I think I'm supposed to run from the BG2 directory. The problem is, when I do that, it can't seem to find my BG1 installation, even when I give it the full path that totally works when I do it from C:\games\ directory.

EDIT2: Well, I edited out the patch check, and now it's giving me more weird behavior with the directories for the fix pack. I give up. I guess I'll just stick to reading this :).

Imaduck fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Vorgen posted:

Class change FAQ :words:

I just wanted to report back that, having completed a reinstall for unrelated reasons, I followed your guide and was able to change things without any trouble. Thank you once again for that hugely useful guide!

• Locked thread