Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skitzofranik
Aug 24, 2005

SAY WHAT!?!?!

Elysiume posted:

It'd be easier to list the things in this game that aren't depressing. I have compiled such a list:

Imminent Amazing View...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
So did the patches unofficially fix the glichers or is being in the Blade of the Darkmoon still mean getting one shotted by someone waiting for you in dark Anor?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Is level 10 too high or low to get summoned for the gargoyles?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

invalid posted:

So did the patches unofficially fix the glichers or is being in the Blade of the Darkmoon still mean getting one shotted by someone waiting for you in dark Anor?

Well it's save file compatible surely so anyone that was maxing levels to PvP is still probably maxed level. Also the patch isn't even live yet except in Japan.

But it should fix future people who glitch.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

While it's nice that I don't have to get the Ghost Blade for the weapons achievement, I just went through a stack of 40 Homeward Bones killing the 2 channelers in the upper part of the Duke's Archive at 320 Item Discovery, and I still don't have their god damned trident. :negative:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Sacrificial Toast posted:

While it's nice that I don't have to get the Ghost Blade for the weapons achievement, I just went through a stack of 40 Homeward Bones killing the 2 channelers in the upper part of the Duke's Archive at 320 Item Discovery, and I still don't have their god damned trident. :negative:

I know your pain. I went grinding for it last night and it took me around four hours to get it to drop at 410 item discovery. Probability is a serious bitch. Try going down to the bottom front part and killing a third channeller there to give you an extra chance every go.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Why didn't you just use the bonfire in the front? You take an elevator and kill a handful of guys.

Also I got my trident in like 30 minutes at 350 or so. Whoo

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Elysiume posted:

It'd be easier to list the things in this game that aren't depressing. I have compiled such a list:

edit: Actually, there are a few. Uh, Patches is a success story. I guess.

Patches drops humanity. Thus, he is murdered at the end of every playthrough.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Vargs posted:

Patches drops humanity. Thus, he is murdered at the end of every playthrough.
You don't get to be depressed if you kill someone entirely for your own personal gain. Then you're just psychotic. :colbert:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

McTimmy posted:

Ingward actually gets a happy ending!

...huh, I've never actually tried re-visiting him after beating the 4 kings. I ought to go and do tha-

Oh. Right. I killed him for his key. :smith:

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

oneliquidninja posted:

Well it's save file compatible surely so anyone that was maxing levels to PvP is still probably maxed level.

But it should fix future people who glitch.

I guess I'll be doing my third playthrough with a new character then. I really need those ten stones.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pigbuster posted:

...huh, I've never actually tried re-visiting him after beating the 4 kings. I ought to go and do tha-

Oh. Right. I killed him for his key. :smith:
I totally forgot about him! I'm going to go visit him, and we're going to hang out and be best bros because I didn't murder him in cold blood. :smug:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Elysiume posted:

I totally forgot about him! I'm going to go visit him, and we're going to hang out and be best bros because I didn't murder him in cold blood. :smug:

I think he actually moves to somewhere in Firelink after you kill 4 Kings. I haven't talked to him myself, though.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

You might want to wait until the patch drops. Supposedly drop rates have been increased by a fair amount, so you might have better luck then.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong
So, I'm curious to see what others think about this.

It seems that going Hollow actually seems to be a function of some sort of backwards achievement of your goals. Despair and hopelessness actually seem to fend it off because there is no sense of completion. Solaire is constantly striving for his sun. He finds it, goal achieved, bam, hollow. Siegmeyer finally actually 'saves' you from monsters and repays his debt, dead. The pyromancer goes to the swamp and finds a stronger flame, hollow. Logan finds all the knowledge he could ever want, hollow.

So why does Patches come out all right? Well, he's a greedy, murderous little gently caress who's always looking for his next sucker. He never achieves anything real or meaningful to him other than a sale, and he can never make enough sales. Petrus also has some weird poo poo going on with the creepy way he talks about Rhea and ultimately kills her.

What I'm getting out of all of this are the people who barely have any humanity left are the ones who seem to be able to hold onto it the most. Which adds a whole new depressing element to the game. Jesus, From.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DarkArchimedes posted:

It seems that going Hollow actually seems to be a function of some sort of backwards achievement of your goals. Despair and hopelessness actually seem to fend it off because there is no sense of completion. Solaire is constantly striving for his sun. He finds it, goal achieved, bam, hollow. Siegmeyer finally actually 'saves' you from monsters and repays his debt, dead. The pyromancer goes to the swamp and finds a stronger flame, hollow. Logan finds all the knowledge he could ever want, hollow.

So why does Patches come out all right? Well, he's a greedy, murderous little gently caress who's always looking for his next sucker. He never achieves anything real or meaningful to him other than a sale, and he can never make enough sales. Petrus also has some weird poo poo going on with the creepy way he talks about Rhea and ultimately kills her.

What I'm getting out of all of this are the people who barely have any humanity left are the ones who seem to be able to hold onto it the most. Which adds a whole new depressing element to the game. Jesus, From.

Also, as soon as the Crestfallen Warrior goes out to adventure--inspired by you--he hollows out. He doesn't die, he just immediately hollows once he finally does something with himself.

I think Logan goes insane more than hollows, though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

I think he actually moves to somewhere in Firelink after you kill 4 Kings. I haven't talked to him myself, though.

You have to speak to him to move him to Firelink, but yes. He's just to the right of the stairs you go up to meet Petrus.

DarkArchimedes posted:

I think you're close, personally. Hollowing seems to be a response to stoked obsession. In the case of the crestfallen guy, he initially gave up because he didn't think he had what it took to go further. When you find him he's not even deep in New Londo at all, like he said "Alright, I'm gonna do this" and then got his rear end killed right away. Siegmeyer doesn't really have what it takes to "save" you - you have to really even the odds for him so when he jumps in he has a chance. On some level, I think he recognizes that, and the part of him that wanted to be the brave, magnanimous hero died a bit.

Logan was obsessed with the pursuit of knowledge, and Laurentius was initially totally chill with hanging out right where he was - until he discovered there was a flame that burned hotter than his. In their case, the hollowing is them being consumed by their lust and greed for greater power - you could even say that them both being trapped (in Logan's case, twice) while they were out and about initially should have been a warning to them.

Lautrec never hollows because he kills others for their humanity; it can be assumed Patches is the same. Solaire hollows, I think, because the "personal sun" he acquires is no true sun at all, it's just a gross little bug. Him hollowing is him giving up and accepting that the nasty bug he found is 'good enough' for him.

Incidentally, I noticed something while stopping by the bonfire by the Sunlight Altar. At the base of every bonfire is a small pile of human bones, including a ribcage, and the grey poo poo is probably bonemeal.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

doomfunk posted:

Incidentally, I noticed something while stopping by the bonfire by the Sunlight Altar. At the base of every bonfire is a small pile of human bones, including a ribcage, and the grey poo poo is probably bonemeal.
Homeward Bone
Bone fragment reduced to white ash. Return to last bonfire used for resting.
Bonfires are fueled by bones of the Undead. In rare cases, the strong urge of their previous owner's to seek bonfires enchants their bones with a homeward instinct.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Just saying, I keep finding more and more reasons to side with Kaathe.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

doomfunk posted:

Just saying, I keep finding more and more reasons to side with kaathe.
First playthrough I didn't even know Kaathe existed. Now, with everything I've encountered in game, and everything I've read here, I make a beeline for Kaathe. Frampt can go gently caress himself. gently caress the Flame, bring back the Dark.

Also, I wasn't trying to be a dick, just backing up what you said. It looks kind of rude in retrospect.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Logan never actually hollows. When you fight him in the archives he still looks human. He probably just went insane(the normal kind) like Seath.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cbouncerrun posted:

Logan never actually hollows. When you fight him in the archives he still looks human. He probably just went insane(the normal kind) like Seath.
Seath is gross in the intro, but he's actually kind of beautiful when you fight him. Except for his weird crystal-rock base.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Just beat 0&S and had a "Very tight spot" message in front of the next NPC I talked to. I've been screwing around since then, but where should I go next?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Actually, there are a few. Uh, Patches is a success story. I guess.

All the smiths and merchants seem to make it out of the game unscathed, it seems going crazy/hallow only applies to those who dabble in the supernatural arts (Magic/Pyro/Faith) interpret this as you will.

Elysiume posted:

I think Logan goes insane more than hollows, though.

So insane that he was totally naked except for his Big Hat when you meet him in Upper Archive. Also if you go back to him directly after killing Seath before exiting the zone the text changes and he gets super aggressive.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Penny_Dreadful posted:

All the smiths and merchants seem to make it out of the game unscathed, it seems going crazy/hallow only applies to those who dabble in the supernatural arts (Magic/Pyro/Faith) interpret this as you will.

So insane that he was totally naked except for his Big Hat when you meet him in Upper Archive. Also if you go back to him directly after killing Seath before exiting the zone the text changes and he gets super aggressive.
You miss out on so much just by playing through; it's crazy.

Some of the merchants are super nasty and close to hollowing, from what it looks like. The merchant in Undead Burg is crazy as gently caress if you keep talking to him.

DarkArchimedes
Feb 26, 2008
Kubla Dong

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Neither Crestfallen Warrior nor Sieg use magic. Also, you fight lots of hollow stuff that are apparently just warriors.

I wonder if the Bonfires bearing a resemblance to the Archstones from Demon's Souls is just a nod to the first game, or actually has some more significance.

It would go along interestingly with the theory that the shattered Archstone for the Land of Giants actually leads to Lordran, where there seem to be plenty of things larger than humans, and a Tomb of the Giants to boot.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Nothing bad happens to Ingward, though, unless you happen to Ingward.

e: Also, I think is a restored image of the Giant's Archstone, right? I hold to the theory that it would have led to Lordran, but I don't know who that would have depicted. Gwyn wears a horned crown, but not like that.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 4, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Elysiume posted:

First playthrough I didn't even know Kaathe existed. Now, with everything I've encountered in game, and everything I've read here, I make a beeline for Kaathe. Frampt can go gently caress himself. gently caress the Flame, bring back the Dark.

Actually curious since I ran into him right away, but how are people missing Kaathe? I mean, you kill the Four Kings and a giant rear end Serpent flops up, are people ignoring him and just sitting at the bonfire to warp away?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Doesn't Griggs make it out okay?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Seath is gross in the intro, but he's actually kind of beautiful when you fight him. Except for his weird crystal-rock base.

I the reason why he's gross in the intro is because he is covered in his dragon brethren's blood.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I the reason why is because he is covered in his dragon brethren's blood.
He looks kind of slimy and weird anyway. I can't imagine having no scales makes for an okay looking dragon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elysiume posted:

Doesn't Griggs make it out okay?

No, after Logan moves to the archives he tries to go there too but hollows in Sen's. Rhea also moves to Archives and hollows if you buy everything from her.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cbouncerrun posted:

No, after Logan moves to the archives he tries to go there too but hollows in Sen's. Rhea also moves to Archives and hollows if you buy everything from her.
I think he's still there on my one character, at least. Does he only go once you buy all of his stuff? That seems to be the modus operandi.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

sentrygun posted:

Actually curious since I ran into him right away, but how are people missing Kaathe? I mean, you kill the Four Kings and a giant rear end Serpent flops up, are people ignoring him and just sitting at the bonfire to warp away?

If you talk to Frampt after getting the Lordvessel at all (the guy who told you to go get it, and so probably the first place you go to see what to do next) he forces you to place it, and Kaathe never appears in the Abyss.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

DarkArchimedes posted:

It would go along interestingly with the theory that the shattered Archstone for the Land of Giants actually leads to Lordran, where there seem to be plenty of things larger than humans, and a Tomb of the Giants to boot.

You could say that the primordial serpents are emissaries of the old one and the Dark Lord ending leads to the Old One taking over Lordan and the Archstone to the Land of Giants being destroyed

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sentrygun posted:

If you talk to Frampt and place the Lord Vessal, Kaathe doesn't show up.

I thought the Seath design was pretty poor. The concept was cool, but actually fighting him I just wished I'd been fighting an actual dragon. Seath had nothing on Hellkite.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elysiume posted:

I think he's still there on my one character, at least. Does he only go once you buy all of his stuff? That seems to be the modus operandi.

Yeah, the sorceror merchants are awesome because they won't disappear until you buy everything from them.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I always thought the Crestfallen Warrior attacks you because you ruined his haven in Firelink Shrine by summoning Frampt. He starts bitching and moaning about how Frampt snores and stinks up the place. Then he mentions how he just started to like it there and he might have to do something about it. And I don't remember him looking Hollow when he attacks you.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
^^: Nah, he's hollow. You can also tell because he doesn't drop any humanity!

Cbouncerrun posted:

Yeah, the sorceror merchants are awesome because they won't disappear until you buy everything from them.
So polite! :allears:

On my mage I wasn't really paying attention to my catalyst, and realized the Oolacile one was better. It increased my damage dealt by 30% or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

If you talk to Frampt after getting the Lordvessel at all... you know, the guy who told you to go get it, he forces you to place it, and Kaathe never appears in the Abyss.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't even remember that I was supposed to go back to Frampt, largely because I had backpedaled after beating O&S thinking that there'd be more enemies if I pressed on and I forgot to come back until I realized I needed the Lordvessel to go fight the Four Kings (I guess you can kill the guy too but I wasn't thinking about that), so I guess I went straight from getting the Lordvessel to punching ghost men with giant swords.

• Locked thread