Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

This won't apply to most of you, but if you're on the West Coast I highly recommend trying to make one of these dates:

ohGr live does NOT disappoint, and this tour should be worth it if only for seeing "Pissage" and "Comedown" live. He tours with William Morrison, Justin Bennett(live Puppy drummer), and Squigg.

I'm making a rock n' roll one night flight to Denver to see them play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

hatelull posted:

This won't apply to most of you, but if you're on the West Coast I highly recommend trying to make one of these dates:

ohGr live does NOT disappoint, and this tour should be worth it if only for seeing "Pissage" and "Comedown" live. He tours with William Morrison, Justin Bennett(live Puppy drummer), and Squigg.

Ooh, that's super tempting. The Bluebird's a smaller venue, too, so you can get right up to the stage most shows.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

molotoveverything posted:

thats awesome, are Yaz and Anders getting back together? I liked Kari, but Yaz was just a better singer/personality for Ashbury Heights.

Highly doubt it. Both Yaz and Kari have their own musical projects now. I hadn't heard anything of Kari's, but Yaz's is called "Javelin" only spelled all wrong.

Here's a link to preview http://youtu.be/pkkeyK_CKkY

It sounds kind of like 80's buttrock to me...

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

LabyaMynora posted:

Highly doubt it. Both Yaz and Kari have their own musical projects now. I hadn't heard anything of Kari's, but Yaz's is called "Javelin" only spelled all wrong.

Here's a link to preview http://youtu.be/pkkeyK_CKkY

It sounds kind of like 80's buttrock to me...

Cheers, I was wondering who that wannabe track was by, the vox sounded familiar.

Dickbutt Ouroboros
Nov 13, 2002

handbandit?
Son of a bitch!

DaveSpillings posted:

Anyone else heard Chrysalide? I just randomly stumbled upon their album "Don't be scared, it's about life", and it's (I hate to use this term to describe electronic music and not metal core) BRUTAL. There's a definite SP influence throughout their album, but to me it's mostly interesting and refreshing. Lots of rhythm switches, tempo changes, time signature changes, etc.

(I'm in no way affiliated with them, I just feel lucky I found some good industrial and wanted to pass it along...)

Wow, I haven't stumbled across anything this good for ages. Thanks for sharing. Definitely channeling some of the early '90s industrial vibe from SP and the like.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

hatelull posted:

Is he just doing the west coast? I've seen Skinny Puppy three times but I'd definitely go see Ohgr in Chicago.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Wow, good thing I checked this thread, since I always notice concerts a week after they pass by. I used to work right by Bottom of the Hill, and it is a pretty small venue. I actually have not heard Ohgr past their first CD, but I liked that one a lot.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

A Chicago show would be great or better yet, a Minneapolis show (still 4 hour drive).

Pain of Mind posted:

Wow, good thing I checked this thread, since I always notice concerts a week after they pass by. I used to work right by Bottom of the Hill, and it is a pretty small venue. I actually have not heard Ohgr past their first CD, but I liked that one a lot.

I would highly recommend listening to the newest album, Undeveloped.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Sadly, I don't think the money was there to do a full stateside tour for his latest record. It's a great album, but he notoriously has piss poor representation from the label.

Pain of Mind you might check out the stuff he did after WELT. SunnyPsyOp is dark twisted pop, and the following Devils in My Details is the sort of record a lot of die hard fans claim Puppy should have written. Bill Moseley (House of 10,000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, that second Texas Chainsaw Massacre film) does some excellent spoken work through the record. It was easily one of my favorite releases of 2008. His latest record, Undeveloped is a progressive mix of the poppy flavors from those first two LP's and some of the dark grittiness of DiMD.

His live shows are superb, and he pulls off some respectable staging as well.

Not quite Puppy, but tasty all the same.

Dickbutt Ouroboros
Nov 13, 2002

handbandit?
Son of a bitch!

I think I might have to make it to the Portland date. Seems like something I'd regret missing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Got HanDover today, listening to it now. Call me an idiot or a heretic or whatever, I don't give a poo poo - this album is loving amazing and I'm all ready to call it the #1 Skinny Puppy album for me :colbert:

I especially dig the poo poo out of the retro/lovely synths they've used on a couple of tracks on this one. Fantastic poo poo.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

With your endorsement I shall have to give it a spin. But I was always a heretic for loving The Process best anyway.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Trippy, bizarre and schizophrenic are the words I'd use to describe this album and I love every second of it. I can definitely understand if some oldschool SP fan doesn't appreciate this stuff, but goddamn if this isn't one of the most bewildering collages of sound I've ever heard, and I listen to some obscure loving poo poo, trust me. From the eerie beauty of Wavy or Cullorblind to Vyrisys's good ol' guitar-driven industrial, and from NoiseX' and Icktums' worry-inducing dance madness to the pure :wtc: of Gambatte, Ovirt, Brownstone and Point... I can't stop listening to this drat thing.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

That bit on "Mr. Brownstone" where he starts in with the "Mister .. and Mrs. Jones" creeps me the gently caress out. I think it's just the cold delivery, but yeah ... it's a keeper.

"Gambatte" is one of my favorite things they've done since getting back together.

Also, Cat rear end you should really do everything in your power (steal, murder, kill, bribe, blackmail, threaten) to see them if they pull off a European tour in 2012. They are absolutely worth seeing live.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mostly really liked Handover on my first listen. One song mid/late-way through stuck out as particularly bad (not sure which because I was doing dishes). Village though reminded me of modern KMFDM, with Ogre singing some of Lucia's vocals :D

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Mostly really liked Handover on my first listen. One song mid/late-way through stuck out as particularly bad (not sure which because I was doing dishes). Village though reminded me of modern KMFDM, with Ogre singing some of Lucia's vocals :D

I have a feeling you're talking about Point, it's some weird rear end poo poo that also happens to be around in the middle of the album. I like it though v:shobon:v

hatelull posted:

Also, Cat rear end you should really do everything in your power (steal, murder, kill, bribe, blackmail, threaten) to see them if they pull off a European tour in 2012. They are absolutely worth seeing live.

I know, I've already seen them live ;) Last year at Amphi Festival, amazing show. I loved how there was this fascinating kind of disconnect between the band on stage and the audience. It was like all those eager people screaming next to the stage just didn't exist, and the band just did their own, bizarre theater-like performance thing. Loved that stuff. I'd love it if they came to Finland this time around, I really want to take my brother to see them. He doesn't care all that much for the music itself (although he said that he might have to listen to HanDover himself because it sounded so interesting), but I'm sure he'd be extremely interested in seeing how they perform on stage.

Also

@F7A posted:

Big announcement coming soon

:)

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

hatelull posted:

I'm totally going to call into work so I can go to this since it's like, 15 blocks from where I live. Unfortunately this venue is like, all 16-year-old scene kids and 40-year-old goths wishing it was the 90's again. I'll probably just get wicked drunk in the alcohol section then punch teens in the face. It'll rule.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Zaiquiri posted:

I'm totally going to call into work so I can go to this since it's like, 15 blocks from where I live. Unfortunately this venue is like, all 16-year-old scene kids and 40-year-old goths wishing it was the 90's again. I'll probably just get wicked drunk in the alcohol section then punch teens in the face. It'll rule.

Which date are you going to be punishing underage cretins?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zaiquiri posted:

Unfortunately this venue is like, all 16-year-old scene kids and 40-year-old goths wishing it was the 90's again. I'll probably just get wicked drunk in the alcohol section then punch teens in the face. It'll rule.

The Goth Scene, an anthropological essay by Zaiquiri.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Not to turn this into a ugly drag out fight, but even by the early to mid 90's wasn't the "Goth Scene" mostly played out? I mean, by that point the Sisters were just a legend and some LP's, the Cure were writing rubbish like "Friday, I'm in Love", the Pups were quickly on their way to indefinite hiatus, and Reznor turned a lot of it into arena rock while Cleopatra quietly put Tribute albums out ad nauseum.

That whole thing reached it's zenith in the mid 80's right?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 11, 2011

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Germany would probably disagree with you

e: also holy poo poo I just can't stop listening to HanDover. Gambatte and Brownstone are the standouts for me.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've only given HanDover one listening so far and I don't even remember if I finished it because goddamn Cullorblind is an awesome song.

Also just realized Aesthetic Perfection put out another album not too long ago. This one is a lot more consistently good than his last two. His Necessary Response album influenced this one for the better.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

I've only given HanDover one listening so far and I don't even remember if I finished it because goddamn Cullorblind is an awesome song.

I really like Cullorblind but the rest just isn't doing much for me except for Ashas :smith:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I really like Cullorblind but the rest just isn't doing much for me except for Ashas :smith:

Ashas is kinda heart wrenching given the subject matter. I like the album pretty much, and see it as a vast improvement over Mythmaker. I came to terms long ago that they're not going to walk back wards to the classic creep out sounds with horror samples and whatthefuck noise ala "Knowhere?" or "Draining Faces" I can appreciate the new sound. It's easy to dismiss it as Key's Download material with ohGr vocals, but considering that it's 2011 and we're still getting new Puppy material that is quite alright with me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hatelull posted:

Not to turn this into a ugly drag out fight, but even by the early to mid 90's wasn't the "Goth Scene" mostly played out? I mean, by that point the Sisters were just a legend and some LP's, the Cure were writing rubbish like "Friday, I'm in Love", the Pups were quickly on their way to indefinite hiatus, and Reznor turned a lot of it into arena rock while Cleopatra quietly put Tribute albums out ad nauseum.

Well, yeah, basically, but don't conflate goth and industrial because they're two different genres. Industrial bands were still releasing genre-defining albums until 1995 or so.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TOOT BOOT posted:

Industrial bands were still releasing genre-defining albums until 1995 or so.

I started getting into industrial in 1996, mostly listening to older Skinny Puppy, FLA, 242 etc and it was a kind of strange period 96-early 99 because the previously big bands were mostly pretty quiet and there didn't seem to be much to replace them. There was tons of lovely guitary industrial that sounded the same (and wanted to be Ministry or KMFDM), side projects of FLA, bands with people who'd been in/linked to Front 242, Nine Inch Nails were pretty much everywhere like it or not and there were lots of bands that would later vanish from playlists without a trace. There didn't seem to be that many innovative bands to me at first or anything really big and interesting or different-sounding aside from Haujobb, who I didn't really get into then.

Come 1999 and moving into 2000 though, you've got VNV Nation, Covenant and Apop basically taking over playlists, Suicide Commando, the Ant-Zen & Hands Productions style rhythmic noise getting more popular and some astonishingly good stuff released, you've got things like Feindflug which sounded amazingly loving fresh to me at the time (although I'm beginning to realise that the whole doof doof doof SCARY SAMPLE aggrotech stuff that is everywhere now might be kind of their fault for inspiring some of the less impressive acts that followed their pattern in a more simplistic way) and all of a sudden there is so much just happening. Of course, there were then a horde of imitators of these bands and much decrying of Futurepop Killing The Scene, but it certainly sounded good at the time compared to a lot of other stuff that was being played.

Obviously, I know that Your Favourite Band will turn out to have released their peak album in the late 90s, thus proving me wrong, but still.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 12, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Futurepop is awesome and I will fight people about it.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Just bought hanDover today, Point is definitely the stand out track for me.

Lothar
Feb 2, 2004

ARRGH YOU'RE THE ONE THAT IS DOOMED TO SINK
So wait I went to every ohGr show in Chicago and now they only tour the west coast?

You got to be loving kidding me.

BTW the first ohGr show in Chicago at the Metro was probably the best concert I ever been too. Mainly because Hate Dept. got booed off the stage. And ohGr had a pharoah mask thingy that opened up and there was all this slime dripping or whatever.

They also played some songs off of sunnysyop before it was even recorded/released. Those songs sounded way different than the ones recorded.

If ohGr comes back to Chicago please play the Metro not the lovely double door.

There was tons of lovely guitary industrial that sounded the same

Hey you leave Terminal Sect and Porcupine Defense out of this!

I still love them.

Lothar fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 12, 2011

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

hatelull posted:

Which date are you going to be punishing underage cretins?
December 2nd.

hatelull posted:

Yeah it was mostly played out, I'm referring to a specific age group that got into the 'alternative' scene in the 90's. They all seem to show up at this venue whenever there's a band remotely industrial/metal/gothy.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

There was tons of lovely guitary industrial that sounded the same
Remember when Stabbing Westward was "new industrial"?

Dos Dedos Mis Amigos and to a lesser extend Nine Inch Nails and KMFDM were my introductions to industrial. There was some interesting stuff going on in Toronto at the time too, like I still have a soft spot for Malhavoc, though I was too young to go to those shows.

I got into PWEI though ... Ned's Atomic Dustbin haha. Other stuff trickled down from my much-older brother. He'd put Pretty Hate Machine on at parties and people would get pissed about that lovely new music.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Remember when Stabbing Westward was "new industrial"?

Stabbing Westward and Gravity Kills were pretty much what I was thinking of! Also, Rhys Fulber working with Fear Factory.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011
I'm late to the rivethead party that is this thread, but I'm trying to find some recommendations. So far, I've been listening to Dead When I Found Her based on this thread's recommendation and I love them.

Ideally, I'm looking for something in the vein of Bile or Puncture (a Dallas/Ft. Worth industrial metal band). Themes of sexual deviancy are greatly preferred, if possible, otherwise good ol' fashioned violence works.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Remember when I posted a track I'd made a while back? Well, I've now managed to scratch up something slightly resembling a seven-track EP that doesn't really sound all that much like the thing I posted earlier. As a matter of fact, it doesn't sound much like industrial, either, although there's bound to be some influences, but that's perfect, because I really am not interested in trying to make music that sounds like something else than, well, me. In any case and even though it didn't turn out to be very industrial in nature, I'd love it if some of you guys gave it a listen and threw some opinions at me, because I think you guys are the people on SA who might get the most out of it. Of course, the most important thing for me is that I'm personally 99% happy with how it sounds, but I'm curious to see what other people think :)

DESERT M - PARADIGMA (demo mix)

1. Aavikkoranta (Desert Shore)
2. Orjantappuralaakso (Valley of Thorns)
3. Tuhkaa (Ash)
4. Seisminen (Seismic)
5. H2SO4
6. Happosade (Acid Rain)
7. Maapallo (Planet Earth)

I think I have all the material I want, but this thing's not finished yet. At the very least I'm gonna rerecord Aavikkoranta and Happosade, and I'll probably need to mix this stuff somewhat so the levels and poo poo are more coherent as well. e: Oh yes, and Seisminen probably needs to be redone as well. It's actually the reason I wanted to make this demo version of the EP, I've struggled with the drat piece for like six hours today and it still didn't turn out quite as I wanted it to. Hmm.

Nearly all of the lead melodies were 100% improvised during recording. Maapallo was recorded all at once in one take, and is, interestingly, the track I'm most satisfied with. Everything was recorded in mono in Audacity. Equipment used: MFB Nanozwerg, Korg DS-10, KaossPad 3.

e2: Oh yeah, one more thing: Even though I've made some noise and other stuff with my brother and some friends before this, this is actually the first material I've done and finished all by myself. I've never put together an EP of my very own songs before v:shobon:v

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 12, 2011

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Stabbing Westward and Gravity Kills were pretty much what I was thinking of! Also, Rhys Fulber working with Fear Factory.

I could go for a new Gravity Kills album :( Heard they were going to make one and then nothing after that.

Are there any bands out now that have the PWEI Dos Dedos era or Gravity Kills sound? When people recommend "industrial" music it's always something like VNV Nation or Combichrist and I hate that stuff. It's that stupid synth all of those bands use.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

I started getting into industrial in 1996, mostly listening to older Skinny Puppy, FLA, 242 etc and it was a kind of strange period 96-early 99 because the previously big bands were mostly pretty quiet and there didn't seem to be much to replace them. There was tons of lovely guitary industrial that sounded the same (and wanted to be Ministry or KMFDM), side projects of FLA, bands with people who'd been in/linked to Front 242, Nine Inch Nails were pretty much everywhere like it or not and there were lots of bands that would later vanish from playlists without a trace. There didn't seem to be that many innovative bands to me at first or anything really big and interesting or different-sounding aside from Haujobb, who I didn't really get into then.

There was a lot of really cool music released in the time period you're talking about that sat in a kind of mid-ground between the pop and experimental poles of the scene, though. Stuff like Scorn's Gyral and Logghi Barroghi, Download's Eyes of Stanley Pain, Dead Voices on Air's Piss Frond, and a bunch of other stuff that was accessibly musical while avoiding the more embarrassing qualities of the scene. Nurse With Wound was also releasing their most accessible material during that span. Truly, an amazing moment in music history.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Nurse With Wound was also releasing their most accessible material during that span. Truly, an amazing moment in music history.

Speaking of NWW, which stuff is a good place to start? Or is it so variable in style you just need to pick random albums to see?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
There isn't really a good place to start, but the period from 1992 to 1999 has a number of extremely good, relatively accessible (for NWW) albums. Thunder Perfect Mind is basically the start of the period, first side is amazing rhythmic sound collage, second side is ambient that builds into a "tribal" drum beat. Next few albums are all rhythm based, often with samples of the same beat from TPM: Rock n Roll Station, Who Can I Turn to Stereo, and Acts of Senseless Beauty. An Awkward Pause from a few years later is probably my favorite NWW album, and is also pretty rock-y for them.

Spiral Insana from 1988 is probably the best encapsulation and summary of what earlier NWW was like.

So if you listen to Thunder Perfect Mind you get an intro to the path NWW took through the 90s, and if you listen to Spiral Insana you get kind of the apotheosis of the 80s work. I guess those would be my intro recs.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Overbite posted:

I could go for a new Gravity Kills album :( Heard they were going to make one and then nothing after that.

Well, I drove past a group of teenagers wearing flannel, zebra pattern pants, and dayglo today. 90s style radio industrial is sure to be retro soon enough.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Man that Chrysalide track is fan-loving-tastic. The rest of their material wobbles a bit, but I Do Not Divert Eyes is amazing.